Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Toyota Wants to
Convert Old Cars
Jan 13, 2023 5:35 PM CST
Toyota Wants to Convert Old Cars to Electric
Conversion offers a faster way to zero-emission vehicles, says CEO Akio Toyoda
- To accelerate the global move toward sustainable vehicles, Toyota is suggesting simply replacing the inner workings of vehicles already on the roads with cleaner technology like fuel cells and electric motors. "I don't want to leave any car lover behind," Chief Executive Akio Toyoda said Friday, per...
Top-Selling Automaker in US
Unveils New Electric Entry
Apr 12, 2022 2:05 PM CDT
Top-Selling Automaker in US Unveils New Electric Entry
The bZ4X small SUV is Toyota's first since 2014
- Toyota, the top-selling automaker in the US, is rolling out its first fully electric vehicle in eight years. The company on Tuesday unveiled the battery-powered bZ4X small SUV, which starts at $42,000 and can go up to 252 miles per charge. The bZ4X, which will be sold globally, adds...
Shuts Down Toyota Production
Feb 28, 2022 11:54 AM CST
Suspected Cyberattack Shuts Down Toyota Production
Company suspends work at plants in Japan
- Toyota is suspending production at all 28 lines of its 14 plants in Japan starting Tuesday, because of a "system malfunction" that a domestic supplier suspects is a cyberattack. Kojima Industries Corp., based in Toyota city in central Japan, said Monday the problem could be a cyberattack, as an...
Toyota Shoots for the Moon
Jan 28, 2022 12:17 PM CST
Toyota Shoots for the Moon
Automaker working on vehicle for space missions
- Toyota is working with Japan's space agency on a vehicle to explore the lunar surface, with ambitions to help people live on the moon by 2040 and then go live on Mars, company officials told the AP on Friday. The vehicle being developed with the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency...
Toyota May Be Distancing
Itself From the Games
Jul 19, 2021 12:48 PM CDT
Toyota May Be Distancing Itself From the Games
Company will not run Olympic ads in Japan
- Coronavirus cases in Japan have risen to 1,000 per day just as the Tokyo Olympics are set to start. Now Toyota, a top sponsor of the Games, says it will not run any Olympics ads in the country, and its chief executive won’t attend the opening ceremonies, the...
Toyota Flops on Certification,
Won't Donate to 'No' Voters
Jul 8, 2021 6:05 PM CDT
Toyota Flops on Certification, Won't Donate to 'No' Voters
Automaker says it heard from customers
- Toyota has reversed itself and now says its political action committee will no longer contribute to the Republican lawmakers who voted against certifying Joe Biden's presidential election victory. The move by the Japanese automaker comes after a social media backlash over the contributions, including threats to stop buying the...
Auto Workers: Forget the
Risks, We're Doing This
Apr 25, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Auto Workers: Forget the Risks, We're Doing This
Hundreds of workers from Ford, GM, and other companies are making medical gear
- Cindy Parkhurst could have stayed home collecting most of her pay while the Ford plant where she normally works remains closed due to coronavirus fears. Instead, she along with hundreds of workers at Ford, General Motors, Toyota, and other companies has gone back to work to make face shields, surgical...
Recall 6M Vehicles
Jan 22, 2020 12:33 AM CST
Toyota, Honda Recall 6M Vehicles
Recalls involve 2 different air bag glitches
- Two different air bag glitches have forced Toyota and Honda to recall over 6 million vehicles worldwide, and both problems present different dangers to motorists. The Toyota recall affects about 3.4 million vehicles globally and is being done because the air bags may not inflate in a crash. The...
Here Are 14 Cars
That Are Getting the Ax
Dec 28, 2018 10:05 AM CST
Here Are 14 Cars That Are Getting the Ax
Say goodbye to the Volkswagen Beetle, the Ford Focus, and a dozen others
- If you think you're seeing more SUVs and crossovers on the road, you're not imagining things. That's because automakers are making what
calls a "sweeping shift" into those types of vehicles—which also means they're dumping more-traditional passenger cars from their lineups. The...
Automakers: New Tariffs
Could Force Job Cuts
Jun 29, 2018 6:10 PM CDT
Automakers: New Tariffs Could Force Job Cuts
GM, others say proposed tax would come at a steep cost
- General Motors joined a growing list of automakers and manufacturers warning against the White House’s proposal to place tariffs of up to 25% on imported cars, trucks, and auto parts, report PBS and the
New York Times
. In a filing with the Commerce Department, GM said that the tax...
Owner Insults Potential
Buyers in Profane
Apr 26, 2018 9:00 AM CDT
Owner Insults Potential Buyers in Profane Used-Car Ad
'This isn't the car you want, it's the car you deserve'
- Looking for a car that's old enough to vote, listens to the Gin Blossoms, and boasts absolutely no amenities? Brendan Tokarski has found your perfect ride. Per the
, Tokarski spied a "savagely honest" Craigslist ad out of Houston trying to dump a 1999 Toyota Corolla, and...
Only 3 Non-Tech Brands
Make 'Most Valuable' Top 10
Sep 25, 2017 10:25 AM CDT
Only 3 Non-Tech Brands Make 'Most Valuable' Top 10
Apple is No. 1, followed by Google and Microsoft
- If you wanted to create a brand from scratch and make it a valued household name, the tech sector is probably a good place to start. Per
, Interbrand looked at some of the world's biggest brands, then ranked their value—and seven that made it into the...
Toyota's New Joint Venture
With Mazda: $1.6B US Factory
Aug 4, 2017 7:55 AM CDT
Toyota's New Joint Venture With Mazda: $1.6B US Factory
The move could create up to 4K jobs
- Japanese automakers Toyota and Mazda said Friday they plan to spend $1.6 billion to set up a joint-venture auto manufacturing plant in the US—a move that will create up to 4,000 jobs. The plant will have an annual production capacity of about 300,000 vehicles and will...
These 3 Large Cars
Are Safest Bet in a Crash
Jul 6, 2017 6:54 PM CDT
These 3 Large Cars Are Safest Bet in a Crash
Insurance Institute for Highway Safety gives out top marks to 3 models
- In the market for a large car that comes with some extra peace of mind? The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has a few suggestions. CBS Miami reports IIHS crashed six large car models to test their safety and awarded three of them its highest "Top Safety Pick Plus"...
5 Deadliest Cars
in case you missed it
Jun 3, 2017 4:31 PM CDT
Buyer, Beware: 5 Deadliest Cars in America
Also, the 5 safest cars in America
- Just how safe is that car you're driving? 24/7 Wall St. investigated to come up with a ranking of the safest and least safe car models sold in the US. The cars you'll want to drive, and those you won't, based on driver death rates:
Toyota's Next Model
Reaches for the Sky
Jun 3, 2017 10:59 AM CDT
Toyota's Next Model Reaches for the Sky
Japanese automaker's 'flying car' isn't all it has planned
- Toyota is working on a "flying car." The AP reports the startup backed by the Japanese automaker has developed a test model that engineers hope will eventually develop into a tiny car with a driver who'll be able to light the Olympic torch in the 2020 Tokyo...
Toyota No Longer the
World's Biggest Auto Seller
Jan 30, 2017 5:33 AM CST
Toyota No Longer the World's Biggest Auto Seller
Volkswagen takes the crown in the year post-cheating scandal
- Toyota has lost its crown as the world's best-selling automaker, and the company to wear it now does so for the first time: Volkswagen. Yes, though revelations about the latter's diesel-engine manipulations emerged in 2015 , 2016 turned out to be a winning year for Volkswagen, which recorded a...
Toyota Responds to
Threatening Trump Tweet
Jan 6, 2017 7:39 AM CST
Toyota Responds to Threatening Trump Tweet
Reminds everyone it has invested nearly $22B in US, with 136K employees
- Donald Trump has taken on Ford , as well as General Motors , threatening to impose taxes if they move production out of the US and into Mexico, and he hit at another automaker Thursday with a tweet. "Toyota Motor said will build a new plant in Baja, Mexico, to build...
He Gave Car
Phone. Now He's
Suing for $1M
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Dec 11, 2016 3:44 PM CST
He Gave Car Salesman His Phone. Now He's Suing for $1M
Texas couple says worker at dealership stole nude photos
- Tim and Claire Gautreaux, a Texas pastor and his wife, got far more than they bargained for when they went to a Grapevine Toyota dealership in January 2015 to buy a new car. According to a lawsuit seeking more than $1 million in damages that the couple filed against Texas...
Some Toyota Owners Will Be
Able to Rent Out Their Cars
Nov 1, 2016 1:00 PM CDT
Some Toyota Owners Will Be Able to Rent Out Their Cars
Carmaker is partnering with Getaround startup in San Francisco
- Starting next year, some Toyota owners will be able to rent out their cars—which could allow them to "essentially [get] a car for free," according to one CEO involved. Toyota is partnering with Getaround, a startup that assists drivers who want to rent out their cars, to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.