Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
Stories 1 - 20 |
Feb 21, 2022 1:47 PM CST
Young Russian Skater Backs Beleaguered Coaches
'You are absolute masters at what you do,' writes Kamila Valieva
- The 15-year-old Russian skater embroiled in a doping scandal made a public show of support for her coaches on social media Monday, reports CNN . Kamila Valieva, whose Olympics ended with a disastrous skate that left her out of medal contention, put up a series of Instagram posts thanking her fans...
Feb 16, 2022 6:56 AM CST
The Plot Thickens in Kamila Valieva Doping Saga
There were actually 3 substances found in her sample
- Not one, but three substances were found in Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva's sample, according to documents the
New York Times
reviewed—plus someone who participated in the hearing that cleared the 15-year-old to compete. Valieva had actually listed the other two drugs, Hypoxen and L-carnitine, on her doping...
Track Star Who
Feb 14, 2022 4:43 PM CST
Track Star Who Was Suspended Questions Skater's Case
Sha'Carri Richardson had to sit out Summer Olympics after flunking a drug test
- When Sha'Carri Richardson failed a drug test, the American sprinter was kept from competing in last year's Summer Olympics in Tokyo. When Kamila Valieva flunked a drug test, the Russian skater was allowed to continue competing in the ongoing Winter Olympics in Beijing. That leaves Richardson with a...
Russian Skater at Center of
Doping Scandal Can Compete
Feb 14, 2022 12:05 AM CST
Russian Skater at Center of Doping Scandal Can Compete
Kamila Valieva testified at a hearing that lasted into the wee hours of Monday
Figure skater Kamila Valieva has been cleared to compete in the women's figure skating competition at the Winter Olympics despite failing a pre-Games drug test, the AP reports. The Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled after a hastily arranged appeal hearing that lasted into early Monday that the...
More on Figure Skating's
Medals Hold-Up Emerges
Feb 11, 2022 6:31 AM CST
More on Figure Skating's Medals Hold-Up Emerges
Doping hearing to decide fate of Kamila Valieva, who could nab another gold
- Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva's right to compete as the heavy favorite in the women's event at the Beijing Olympics will be decided at an urgent hearing at the Court of Arbitration for Sport after a failed doping test, per the AP . The International Testing Agency (ITA) confirmed...
May 11, 2021 4:00 AM CDT
Trump Offers Statement on Kentucky Derby Doping Scandal
As horse trainer blames 'cancel culture'
- Bob Baffert blames "cancel culture" for the controversy surrounding the Kentucky Derby win of a horse he trained, Medina Spirit, which flunked a drug test after the race . "We live in a different world now," the trainer told Fox News on Monday. "This America is different....
Blocks Doping Ban
Dec 24, 2020 2:50 PM CST
Racism Allegation Blocks Doping Ban
Sun Yang can swim again after court agrees decision was compromised
- Sun Yang, the first Chinese man to win a Olympic gold medal in swimming, is free to return to international competition—for now. A federal court in Switzerland on Wednesday threw out Sun's eight-year doping ban , which was imposed in February, agreeing that the neutrality of one of the...
Court: Russian Name, Flag
Banned From Next 2 Olympics
Dec 17, 2020 9:55 AM CST
Court: Russian Name, Flag Banned From Next 2 Olympics
Punishment for a 2014 Olympics doping scheme
- Russia was banned Thursday from using its name, flag, and anthem at the next two Olympics or at any world championships for the next two years. The Court of Arbitration for Sport's ruling also blocked Russia from bidding to host major sporting events for two years, per the AP...
Mar 10, 2020 6:17 AM CDT
Doping Scandal Rocks Horse-Racing
27 trainers, vets, others indicted in massive doping scheme that involves 2019 Kentucky Derby winner
- More than two dozen people, including the trainer of champion Maximum Security, were charged in what authorities described Monday as an international scheme to drug horses to make them race faster. Trainer Jason Servis, whose stable includes the 3-year-old champion, was charged with administering performance-enhancing drugs to that horse and...
China's Greatest Swimmer
Hit With 8-Year Ban
Feb 28, 2020 7:40 AM CST
China's Greatest Swimmer Hit With 8-Year Ban
Sun Yang broke anti-doping rules in destroying blood samples
- The career of China's greatest swimmer may be kaput after he was hit Friday with an eight-year ban for destroying blood samples. Three-time Olympic champion Sun Yang, 28, was found guilty of breaking anti-doping rules when sample collectors paid a visit to his home following the 2018 Asian Games,...
Russia Can't Compete
in the Next 2 Olympics
Dec 9, 2019 6:57 AM CST
Russia Can't Compete in the Next 2 Olympics
Nation banned from world competition for 4 years because of systematic doping
- The official sports world is unanimous: Russia cheats. And as a result, the nation cannot compete in next year's summer Olympics in Japan. In fact, Russia is banned from international sporting events for the next four years, a span that includes the 2022 winter Olympics in Beijing and the...
Now, a Coaching
Oct 2, 2019 8:05 AM CDT
Athletes With 'Courage' Talked. Now, a Coaching Legend Banned
Alberto Salazar booted from track and field for 4 years over Nike-bankrolled doping experiments
- Alberto Salazar was so excited in 2011 about the performance-enhancing supplement L-carnitine that he sent an email to none other than Lance Armstrong. "Lance, call me asap!" Salazar wrote. "We have tested it, and it's amazing." Salazar was prepping to infuse the supplement into his...
Swimmer Won't Share
Podium With Winner
Jul 22, 2019 9:40 AM CDT
Swimmer Won't Share Podium With Winner
Australia's Mack Horton has accused China's Sun Yang of doping
- Chinese swimmer Sun Yang edged Australia's Mack Horton to win a race at a world tournament in South Korea, but the real drama came afterward. Horton refused to share the podium with Sun, whom he has previously accused of sports doping, reports the
. Asked why he made the...
World's Top Bridge Player
Flunks Drug Test
Mar 1, 2019 3:40 PM CST
World's Top Bridge Player Flunks Drug Test
Geir Helgemo suspended, loses titles
- The doping scandal among players has reached a new frontier: card games. Geir Helgemo, the No. 1 bridge player in the world, has been suspended after failing a drug test at a tournament in Orlando last fall. Synthetic testosterone and the female fertility drug clomifene were in his system, the...
'Greatest Treachery': Russia's
Anti-Doping Agency Reinstated
Sep 21, 2018 1:20 AM CDT
'Greatest Treachery': Russia's Anti-Doping Agency Reinstated
Country can now bid for major events again
- The World Anti-Doping Agency declared Russia's scandal-ridden drug-fighting operation back in business Thursday, a decision designed to bring a close to one of sports' most notorious doping scandals but one bitterly disputed by hundreds of athletes and described as "treachery" by the lawyer for the man who exposed...
Olympics Gets Its
2nd Failed Drug Test
Feb 18, 2018 8:33 AM CST
Olympics Gets Its 2nd Failed Drug Test
Russian delegation announces that an unnamed athlete has failed
- The Russian delegation at the Pyeongchang Olympics has announced that one of its athletes has failed a drug test, reports the AP . Two Russian state news agencies cited Konstantin Vybornov, spokesman for the "Olympic Athletes from Russia" team, as saying the delegation received an official notification from the International...
Court Overturns Olympic
Ban for Dozens of Russians
Feb 1, 2018 6:53 AM CST
Court Overturns Olympic Ban for Dozens of Russians
Ruling is heartbreak for some Sochi winners
- In a bombshell ruling just a week before the Winter Olympics open in Pyeongchang, the Court of Arbitration for Sport has overturned the lifetime Olympic bans of 28 out of 43 Russian athletes accused of doping at the Sochi Games in 2014. The athletes can now keep medals they won...
The Olympics Just Banned
Russia Over Doping
Dec 5, 2017 1:19 PM CST
The Olympics Just Banned Russia Over Doping
Nation's athletes can compete as individuals at the Winter Games in South Korea
- Two big things will be missing from the Winter Olympics this February in South Korea: Russia's flag and the sound of its national anthem. The International Olympic Committee on Tuesday banned Russia because of doping in previous competitions believed to have been sanctioned by the Kremlin, reports the
Report: NFL Teams Broke
Federal Law on Painkillers
Mar 10, 2017 8:38 AM CST
Report: NFL Teams Broke Federal Law on Painkillers
'Don’t worry, I’m pretty good at keeping them off the trail!'
is out with a damning report on the use of prescription painkillers in the NFL, asserting that teams have for years broken federal laws regarding how the drugs are dispensed and tracked. The story by Rick Maese, based on sealed court documents from a lawsuit by former...
Jan 25, 2017 10:08 AM CST
Bolt Loses Gold Medal, Treble Record
Teammate doped during Beijing relay race: IOC
- Usain Bolt has lost his claim to having won three gold medals at three separate Olympics—through no fault of his own. Bolt will be forced to return his gold medal won in the 400-meter relay in Beijing in 2008 because his Jamaican teammate Nesta Carter tested positive for doping,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
Polygamous Leader Had 'Wives' as Young as 9: FBI
Germany Uncovers Alleged Coup Plot Involving Aristocrat
What Sleeping With a Weighted Blanket Does to Your Brain
Midshipmen Take Prank Tradition to New Heights
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.