Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Internal Revenue Service
Stories 1 - 20 |
Hunter Biden Sues
the IRS Over Tax Reveals
Sep 18, 2023 8:19 AM CDT
Hunter Biden Sues the IRS Over Tax Reveals
Complaint by president's son alleges 2 whistleblower agents violated his privacy
- Just days after Hunter Biden was indicted on federal firearms charges, the president's son is pushing back on separate allegations about his taxes with a lawsuit against the IRS. The AP reports that Biden filed his complaint Monday, accusing two whistleblower IRS agents, Gary Shapley and Joseph Ziegler, of...
IRS E-File Test Has the Likes
of TurboTax Very Unhappy
May 17, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
IRS E-File Test Has the Likes of TurboTax Very Unhappy
Officials say it could save taxpayers billions, tax-prep companies say the opposite
- Americans will soon be able to file electronic tax returns directly to the government—something residents of dozens of other countries have long been able to do. Congress approved $15 million in funding to study the possibility of a direct e-file system last year. Now, the IRS has announced a...
Attorneys: DOJ Made
'Retaliatory' Move in
Hunter Biden Case
May 17, 2023 8:52 AM CDT
Attorneys: DOJ Made 'Retaliatory' Move in Hunter Biden Case
Attorneys for IRS whistleblower say they've been taken off investigation into president's son
- An IRS whistleblower said to have eyebrow-raising information on a "sensitive" investigation into a "high-profile, controversial subject" that's been going on since 2018 now says they've been removed from that inquiry, as has their "entire investigative team." The subject in question: Hunter Biden, per...
IRS Announces Record
Boost for 401(k) Infusions
Oct 21, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
IRS Announces Record Boost for 401(k) Infusions
For 2023, you can deposit $22,500 to qualified retirement plans—up to $30K for those 50 and over
- Good news for those who want to pump more money into their retirement savings: The IRS just raised the contribution limit on 401(k) plans for 2023, as well as for similar tax-deferred plans for public education workers, federal and state employees, and those who work for tax-exempt groups. That new...
Tax Rates Announced
Oct 19, 2022 6:43 AM CDT
Inflation-Adjusted Tax Rates Announced
Some could see lower tax rates in 2023
- The Internal Revenue Service on Tuesday announced the adjustments that will be in effect for 2023 tax rates in response to soaring inflation, meaning some taxpayers could see a lower tax bill. As the
New York Times
reports, typically when tax rates are adjusted for inflation, the adjustments are "...
IRS Drops Facial
Feb 7, 2022 7:35 PM CST
IRS Drops Facial Recognition Plan
Agency is suspending use of private company for identity verification
- The IRS is backing away from what some critics saw as another step toward a dystopian future: a plan to have a private company use facial recognition to verify taxpayers' identities. The agency, which was facing a backlash from lawmakers from both parties, along with the ACLU and other privacy...
The Number Is
In on Worth of
and It's Huge
Jan 17, 2022 10:00 AM CST
The Number Is In on Worth of Prince's Estate, and It's Huge
Final valuation comes in at $156.4M, about double what estate's administrator originally estimated
- The administrator of Prince's estate had once estimated its value at $82.3 million. The Internal Revenue Service said it thought the real number was double that. Now, nearly six years after the legal fight over the late singer's estate began, a final figure has been arrived at,...
This Could be a 'Frustrating'
Tax Season, Officials Say
Jan 10, 2022 5:29 PM CST
This Could be a 'Frustrating' Tax Season, Officials Say
'Enormous challenges' could delay refunds
- This year's tax filing season will begin on Jan. 24, 17 days earlier than last year, the Internal Revenue Service announced Monday. The IRS is warning that a resurgence of COVID-19 infections on top of a lesser funding authorization from Congress than the Biden administration had requested could make...
for a Tax Refund?
The News Isn't Great
Jul 2, 2021 8:39 AM CDT
Still Waiting for a Tax Refund? The News Isn't Great
After 'unprecedented' tax season, IRS has backlog of 35M returns
- If you're wondering why your tax refund still hasn't arrived, you're in good company. After the "most challenging filing season taxpayers, tax professionals, and the IRS have ever experienced," the agency is currently trying to work its way through a backlog of 35 million tax...
DOJ Suit: Roger Stone
Owes IRS $2M in Taxes
Apr 17, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
DOJ Suit: Roger Stone Owes IRS $2M in Taxes
Complaint: Trump ally's tax troubles, which stretch back to 2007, didn't stop him from living it up
- Former President Trump pardoned Roger Stone right before he left office, but that reprieve isn't going to help the GOP operative with his latest IRS troubles. NBC News reports that the Justice Department filed a lawsuit Friday in Florida against the 68-year-old Trump ally for the nearly $2 million...
Yup, Tax Day Deadline
Mar 18, 2021 12:03 AM CDT
Yup, Tax Day Deadline Officially Extended
It's now May 17, IRS announces
- As expected , the Internal Revenue Service has extended the typical April 15 tax filing and payment deadline to May 17. Due to the economic struggles many have faced amid the COVID-19 pandemic, "this continues to be a tough time for many people, and the IRS wants to continue...
Looks Like This Year's Dreaded
Tax Deadline Isn't April 15
Mar 17, 2021 2:13 PM CDT
Looks Like This Year's Dreaded Tax Deadline Isn't April 15
IRS is expected to push it back a month
- If you've been procrastinating on your 2020 taxes, don't feel guilty about staying that course. The IRS on Wednesday will reportedly push the deadline from April 15 to May 15. CNN reports Democratic Reps. Jamie Raskin and Bill Pascrell had been urging the move due to the pandemic....
Gift Card Scam Nets Tesla,
Waterfront Home, and 9 Years
Nov 13, 2020 4:25 PM CST
Gift Card Scam Nets Tesla, Waterfront Home, and 9 Years
Ukranian hired by Microsoft to test system found a flaw
- As a tester for Microsoft, Volodymyr Kvashuk placed fake online orders to check the system. The software wouldn't allow products to be sent to testers, so there was no risk of the company being scammed. Except there was. Kvashuk, who was hired in 2016, discovered nothing stopped him from...
Filed Your Tax Return on Time?
You Could Get an Extra Check
Aug 19, 2020 12:52 PM CDT
Filed Your Tax Return on Time? You Could Get an Extra Check
If you're owed or received a refund, you'll get a refund interest payment
- Almost 14 million Americans can expect payments from the Internal Revenue Service and the Treasury Department this week, but those taxpayers won't be using them for major purchases: The IRS says the average interest payment will be around $18. They'll be made to around 13.9 million taxpayers...
$1.4B in Stimulus Money
Went to Dead People
Jun 25, 2020 11:45 AM CDT
$1.4B in Stimulus Money Went to Dead People
Government watchdog finds that death records weren't reviewed
- The Trump administration has some lessons to learn before sending out any new coronavirus stimulus checks . More than 1 million checks for a combined $1.4 billion were distributed to dead people, according to a government watchdog report covering coronavirus relief spending approved by Congress as of April 30. In...
IRS to Workers: Come Back.
(Bring Your Own Face Masks)
Apr 26, 2020 6:43 AM CDT
IRS to Workers: Come Back. (Bring Your Own Face Masks)
IRS is asking 10K employees to come back to work for incentive pay
- The IRS is asking about 10,000 employees it deems "mission-critical" to come back to work beginning Monday, reports Politico , an "initial wave" that will task workers with "opening taxpayer correspondence, handling tax documents, taking taxpayer telephone calls, and performing other functions related to the filing season....
Landlord Text on
Apr 21, 2020 8:07 AM CDT
Man Felt 'Violated' After Landlord Text on Stimulus Check
Ore. man says property manager illegally accessed payment status via IRS site, asked for rent
- On April 15, Austin Goodrich received his stimulus check from the government. That same day, he got some odd texts from his property manager, per Business Insider . In messages documented by Joshua Browder, CEO of the DoNotPay legal chatbot, Goodrich's landlord asked him, "You got your stimulus, just...
It's Easy to Check on
Your Stimulus Payment
Apr 15, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
It's Easy to Check on Your Stimulus Payment
IRS.gov goes live with a tracking tool
- It's safe to say everyone who's expecting a federal stimulus check is eager to "get my payment." Those wondering exactly when that will happen can now turn to "Get My Payment" to find out. The new feature on went live on IRS.gov on Wednesday,...
Stimulus Checks Will Have
an Unusual Name on Them
Apr 15, 2020 6:21 AM CDT
Stimulus Checks Will Have an Unusual Name on Them
A president's name, for the first time ever
- If you're among the Americans checking their mailboxes for a stimulus check, the
reports that yours will be coming to you a little differently than any other IRS disbursement in history: It will bear the words "President Donald J. Trump" on the left-hand side of the...
Treasury Does 180 on Stimulus
Funds for One Set of Americans
Apr 2, 2020 6:32 AM CDT
Treasury Does 180 on Stimulus Funds for One Set of Americans
Social Security recipients won't have to file tax return to get money
- One of the biggest challenges the Treasury Department has in getting Americans their checks from the $2.2 trillion coronavirus stimulus package is tracking down people who don't file tax returns. Now, at least one key group of nonfilers will see that process expedited. The official word, delivered from...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.