Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Havoc in 2 States
Nov 5, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Tornadoes Wreak Havoc in 2 States
At least one person is dead and dozens hurt in Texas, Oklahoma after bout of extreme weather
- Tornadoes tore through parts of Texas and Oklahoma on Friday, killing at least one person, injuring dozens of others, and leaving dozens of homes and buildings in ruins. Tornadoes hit hard in McCurtain County, Okla., in the southeastern corner of the state. Cody McDaniel, the county's emergency manager, confirmed...
May 21, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
One Dead, Dozens Hurt After 'Catastrophic' Tornado
Michigan declares state of emergency after twister sweeps through Gaylord
- "The town is devastated." That was the assessment Friday of Jordan Awrey, a member of the City Council in Gaylord, after a tornado swept through the Michigan town on Friday, killing one and wreaking havoc on buildings, cars, and other structures. Michigan State Police say 44 people were...
Friday Night Twister
Slams Into Wichita
Apr 30, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Friday Night Twister Slams Into Wichita
And other parts of Kansas, where some homes were 'completely blown away' by twister
- A tornado that barreled through parts of Kansas damaged multiple buildings, injured several people, and left more than 6,500 people without power, officials said Saturday. Officials said the twister moved through parts of southeast Wichita and Andover on Friday evening, per the AP . Andover Fire Chief Chad Russell said...
US Logged Record
Number of March Tornadoes
Apr 11, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
US Logged Record Number of March Tornadoes
National Weather Service counts 218
- If it feels like you've been hearing about tornadoes a lot lately , there's good reason. The National Weather Service says the US logged 218 in March, a record high for the month. The previous mark was 192 in March 2017. As ABC News reports, many of the 2022...
TV Weatherman Calls Kids
on Air With Tornado Warning
Apr 1, 2022 2:02 PM CDT
TV Weatherman Calls Kids on Air With Tornado Warning
Everyone in DC meteorologist Doug Kammerer's home is OK after Thursday storm
- Powerful storms swept through the area around Washington, DC, this week, prompting multiple tornado warnings , but for one local TV weatherman reporting on the extreme conditions, it all hit a little too close to home—literally. Per NPR , Doug Kammerer, the head meteorologist for NBC Washington, was on air Thursday...
Girl on Breathing Machine
Saved After Tornado
Tosses Home 30 Feet
Mar 24, 2022 1:43 AM CDT
Girl on Breathing Machine Saved After Tornado Tosses Home 30 Feet
She was trapped inside but is 'doing fine'
- With the tendrils of a killer tornado bearing down on her family through the darkness, Dea Castellanos heard the rain and wind outside as she sat on her living room couch. Her daughter, who has muscular dystrophy and is on a breathing machine, was in another room. The next thing...
House Is in the
Middle of the Street'
Mar 23, 2022 6:35 AM CDT
'Our Neighbor's House Is in the Middle of the Street'
2 are killed, multiple others injured after tornado system hits Texas, Okla., then La., Miss.
- A tornado tore through parts of New Orleans and its suburbs Tuesday night, flipping cars, ripping roofs off homes, and killing at least one person in a region that was pummeled by Hurricane Katrina 17 years ago. Parts of St. Bernard Parish, which borders New Orleans to the southeast, appeared...
Warnings Were Delayed
as Iowa Tornado Approached
Mar 8, 2022 1:06 AM CST
Warnings Were Delayed as Iowa Tornado Approached
But a systems analyst doubts it made much of a difference
- A computer glitch could have turned deadly in Iowa. Before Saturday's tornado outbreak , in which the death toll stands at 7, a government computer system was experiencing an unrelated technical problem that overloaded the network, and National Weather Service warnings were delayed as a result, the
Des Moines Register
Destruction,' a Family
Loses 4 Members
Mar 7, 2022 7:43 AM CST
After 'Unimaginable Destruction,' a Family Loses 4 Members
Tornado in Winterset, Iowa, kills grandma, as well as son-in-law, 2 grandkids visiting from Missouri
- The deadly tornadoes that swept through central Iowa over the weekend caused "unimaginable destruction," per Gov. Kim Reynolds. But for one family, the tragedy hit particularly hard, as four members hiding out in a house in Madison County perished during the storm. KMBC reports that 37-year-old Michael Bolger,...
Leaves 6 Dead in Iowa
Mar 6, 2022 5:30 AM CST
Powerful Tornado Leaves 6 Dead in Iowa
'This is the worst anyone has seen in a very long time'
- Six people were killed Saturday when a tornado swept through central Iowa, damaging buildings and knocking down trees and power lines, authorities said. Emergency management officials in Madison County said four were injured in addition to those killed when the tornado touched down in the area southwest of Des Moines...
Family of Amazon Driver
Killed in Tornado Is Suing
Jan 17, 2022 6:55 PM CST
Family of Amazon Driver Killed in Tornado Is Suing
Father wants to know why Bezos went to space 'but couldn’t make it to Edwardsville'
- The family of one of six Amazon workers killed when a tornado ripped through a warehouse in southern Illinois last month is taking the company to court. The lawsuit filed Monday says contract driver Austin McEwen, 26, and other employees were ordered to keep working at the Edwardsville facility Dec....
Workers at Candle Factory
Sue Employer After Tornado
Dec 16, 2021 12:57 PM CST
Workers at Candle Factory Sue Employer After Tornado
They accuse Mayfield company in Kentucky of refusing to let them leave before storm
Employees of a candle factory in Kentucky that was decimated by a tornado over the weekend are suing their employer. The workers accuse Mayfield Consumer Products of endangering their lives by refusing to let them go home as the storm approached, reports the AP . The company denies the allegation....
Baby Seemed Fine After
Tornado. She Wasn't
Dec 14, 2021 6:50 AM CST
Baby Seemed Fine After Tornado. She Wasn't
A number of children were killed in Friday devastation
- When the tornadoes hit Kentucky Friday night, the Koon family sheltered in a bathroom until they were sucked outside and blown across the street by the strong winds. Initially, 2-month-old Oaklynn, whom the family had strapped into her car seat to keep her safer, seemed to have suffered only minor...
Not as Many as Feared
Dead in Candle Factory
Dec 13, 2021 10:35 AM CST
Kentucky Tornado: Not as Many as Feared Dead in Candle Factory
Governor confirms 64 deaths statewide as of Monday morning
As of Monday morning, Kentucky has confirmed 64 deaths from the weekend's tornadoes. Gov. Andy Beshear said that "undoubtedly there will be more," per CNN , perhaps as many as 80. He added that 105 residents of the state remain unaccounted for. Some of the fatalities occurred...
How a 1942 Photo
Flew 130 Miles
Dec 13, 2021 3:24 AM CST
How a 1942 Photo Flew 130 Miles
Kentucky family's photo ends up in Indiana during tornadoes
- There's a happy ending to at least one story coming out of the weekend's devastating tornadoes , Fox News reports. On Saturday, the morning after the storms, Katie Posten walked outside to find an old photograph stuck to the windshield of her car in New Albany, Indiana. She posted...
Died in Warehouse
Dec 13, 2021 12:58 AM CST
Amazon Drivers Died in Warehouse as Tornado Ripped Through
6 dead in Illinois
- Six people died in an Amazon warehouse in Illinois on Friday when six states were hit by a devastating swarm of tornadoes . Austin J. McEwen, 26, was a cargo driver for the company who was sheltering with colleagues in a bathroom when he was killed, Reuters reports. Employees tell the...
Tornado May Have Broken
Dec 12, 2021 6:30 AM CST
Tornado May Have Broken World Record
Meanwhile, candle factory survivors would be 'miracle'
- Saturday's devastating Kentucky tornado carved an over 200-mile track that could rival the longest on record as the stormfront smashed apart a candle factory, crushed a nursing home and flattened an Amazon distribution center, all while killing upwards of 70 people.
The longest tornado on record tracked for
Tornado Rips Chicago Suburbs
Jun 21, 2021 9:24 AM CDT
Tornado Rips Chicago Suburbs
More than 100 homes damaged, and at least 5 people hospitalized
- A tornado swept through communities in heavily populated suburban Chicago, damaging more than 100 homes, toppling trees, knocking out power, and causing multiple injuries, officials said. At least five people, including a woman who was listed in critical condition, were hospitalized in Naperville, where 16 homes were left “uninhabitable"...
As He Reported
Live on Tornadoes,
Some Personal Bad News
in case you missed it
Mar 28, 2021 9:01 AM CDT
As He Reported Live on Tornadoes, Some Personal Bad News
James Spann was covering dangerous Alabama twister when he found out his home was in its path
- Alabamians relied this week on local reporting to keep them abreast of the severe weather pummeling their state, including a series of tornadoes that killed at least five. One meteorologist in particular not only offered coverage of the twisters—he found out while on the air that his own home...
At Least 3 Dead After
Tornado Rips Through NC
Feb 16, 2021 7:37 AM CST
At Least 3 Dead After Tornado Rips Through NC
'It's something like I have never seen before'
- A tornado ripped through North Carolina's Brunswick County early Tuesday, killing at least three people and injuring 10 others in its trail of destruction, the AP reports. The tornado hit just after midnight Tuesday in southeastern Brunswick County near Grissettown in the Ocean Ridge Plantation Community, destroying homes, downing...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
Polygamous Leader Had 'Wives' as Young as 9: FBI
Germany Uncovers Alleged Coup Plot Involving Aristocrat
What Sleeping With a Weighted Blanket Does to Your Brain
Iranian Patrol Boat Tries to Temporarily Blind US Navy Ships
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.