Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Opponents Helped Word
Abortion Rights Ballot Measure
Nov 29, 2023 7:15 PM CST
Opponents Helped Word Abortion Rights Ballot Measure
Ohio secretary of state consulted three groups against the constitutional amendment
- Ohio Secretary of State Frank LaRose consulted three prominent anti-abortion groups while drafting the contested ballot language used to describe Issue 1, an abortion-rights measure overwhelmingly approved by voters earlier this month, cleveland.com reported Wednesday. The Republican elections chief and 2024 US Senate candidate revealed having help with the...
GOP Strategists Shifting
Course on Abortion
Nov 9, 2023 11:10 AM CST
GOP Strategists Shifting Course on Abortion
Party's Senate campaign arm to advise candidates to avoid talk of a federal ban
- It's been a significant week for the politics of abortion, with Democrats scoring wins on the issue in Tuesday's election , and GOP candidates laying out a range of differing positions in their Wednesday debate. Where do things go from here? A look at coverage:
Big Wins Give Democrats
a 'Blueprint' for 2024
Nov 8, 2023 6:49 AM CST
Big Wins Give Democrats a 'Blueprint' for 2024
Voters back abortion access, appear wary of Trump-backed candidates
- Nearly a year and a half after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, abortion remains a key issue in elections across the country—to the benefit of Democrats, who've made protecting abortion rights a priority. A major takeaway from Tuesday's elections is that "voters are casting...
Race Goes to Dem
Nov 7, 2023 11:17 PM CST
Closely Watched Pennsylvania Supreme Court Race Goes to Dem
Daniel McCaffery beats Republican Carolyn Carluccio
- Democrat Dan McCaffery won an open seat on Pennsylvania's Supreme Court in Tuesday's general election, preserving a strong Democratic majority on a panel that has produced several critical election-related rulings in the presidential battleground state, the AP reports. The seven-member bench, which will be made up five Democrats...
Ohio Votes to Protect
Nov 7, 2023 8:14 PM CST
Ohio Votes to Protect Abortion Access
Voters approve constitutional amendment enshrining abortion rights
- It looks like Ohio will indeed enshrine abortion protections into its state constitution. The AP reports that the constitutional amendment protecting abortion access in the state was passed by voters on Tuesday. After the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade last year, a 2019 law banning abortions after six weeks...
Abortion a Big Issue
in Tuesday's Voting
Nov 6, 2023 11:00 AM CST
Abortion a Big Issue in Tuesday's Voting
Restrictions, protections are front and center in Ohio, Kentucky, and Virginia
- The most-watched races in Tuesday's off-year general election have been dominated by the ongoing debate over abortion rights. From a reelection bid for governor in Kentucky and a statewide ballot measure in Ohio, to state legislative elections in Virginia, access to abortion has been a frequent topic in campaign...
Mexico's Top Court
Sep 6, 2023 4:42 PM CDT
Mexico's Top Court Decriminalizes Abortion Nationwide
Crime will be removed from country's penal code
- Mexico's Supreme Court decriminalized abortion nationwide Wednesday, two years after ruling that abortion was not a crime in one northern state. That earlier ruling had set off a grinding process of decriminalizing abortion state by state. Last week, the central state of Aguascalientes became the 12th of Mexico's...
RFK Jr. Says He'd
Sign Federal Abortion
Ban, Then Does 180
Aug 14, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
RFK Jr. Says He'd Sign Federal Abortion Ban, Then Does 180
2024 presidential candidate later says he misunderstood question
- Robert F. Kennedy Jr. said he'd sign a federal abortion ban if he wins the 2024 presidential election, then quickly did a 180. The Democratic presidential candidate was asked by a NBC News reporter while visiting the Iowa State Fair Sunday whether he would sign "federal protection" for...
What the Ohio Vote
on Abortion Means
Aug 9, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
What the Ohio Vote on Abortion Means
It appears to be trouble for the GOP strategy of leaving the issue up to the states, for now
- Ohio voters delivered a victory for abortion access on Tuesday, even if they didn't explicitly vote on abortion. Instead, they rejected a GOP-backed proposal (called Issue 1) that would have made it harder to amend the state's constitution. However, the vote was widely understood to be an attempt...
Ohio Voters Deliver
Big Win for Abortion Rights
Aug 8, 2023 9:46 PM CDT
Ohio Voters Deliver Big Win for Abortion Rights
57% reject measure that would have changed the ballot process
- Ohio voters on Tuesday roundly rejected a Republican ballot measure that was widely seen as aiming to make it more difficult for an amendment enshrining abortion rights to someday be added to the state constitution. While Issue 1, which more than 57% of voters voted against, according to Decision Desk...
Big Abortion-Rights Victory
in Ruling Over Texas Ban
Aug 5, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Big Abortion-Rights Victory in Ruling Over Texas Ban
Injunction calls to allow for exceptions for serious pregnancy complications, though appeal blocks it
- A Texas judge ruled Friday the state's abortion ban has proven too restrictive for women with serious pregnancy complications and must allow exceptions without doctors fearing the threat of criminal charges. The ruling was the first to undercut Texas' law, one of the most restrictive in the US, since it...
Poll: 58% of Ohioans Back
Abortion Rights Amendment
Jul 24, 2023 1:45 PM CDT
Poll: 58% of Ohioans Back Abortion Rights Amendment
But Republicans are trying to raise threshold for amendments to 60%
- A proposed constitutional amendment on abortion rights in Ohio is supported by a large majority of voters, including a third of Republicans, according to a
/Suffolk University. The amendment, which would enshrine abortion rights in the state constitution, was supported 58% to 32%, with the backing of what...
In Ohio, a 'Huge Step Forward'
for Abortion Access
Jul 6, 2023 12:32 PM CDT
In Ohio, a 'Huge Step Forward' for Abortion Access
Abortion rights advocates submit nearly double the number of signatures needed to get on ballot
- Groups hoping to enshrine abortion rights in Ohio's Constitution delivered nearly double the number of signatures needed to place an amendment on the statewide ballot this fall, aiming to signal sweeping widespread support for an issue that still faces the threat of needing a significantly increased victory margin. Ohioans...
May 26, 2023 1:00 PM CDT
South Carolina Judge Halts 6-Week Abortion Ban
Ban reverts back to 20 weeks until state Supreme Court can review law, per Judge Clifton Newman
- A judge on Friday put a temporary halt to South Carolina's new law banning most abortions around six weeks of pregnancy until the state Supreme Court can review the measure. The ruling by Judge Clifton Newman came just about 24 hours after Gov. Henry McMaster signed the bill. The...
DeSantis, Trump Disagree
on Florida Abortion Ban
May 17, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
DeSantis, Trump Disagree on Florida Abortion Ban
Trump says even pro-lifers think it's 'harsh,' DeSantis hits back
- Ron DeSantis and Donald Trump are publicly disagreeing once again. In an interview with digital news startup The Messenger published Monday, Trump said Florida's six-week abortion ban, which has not yet taken effect, may have gone too far even for some on the right. "If you look at...
GOP Pol Slams Own
Leader for 'Taking Us
Off a Cliff' on Abortion
Apr 29, 2023 8:30 AM CDT
GOP Pol Slams Own Leader for 'Taking Us Off a Cliff' on Abortion
Abortion bans in red states of South Carolina, Nebraska fall short in votes
- Abortion bans in Nebraska and South Carolina fell short of advancing in close votes amid heated debates among Republicans, confounding conservatives who've dominated both legislatures and further exposing the chasm on the issue of abortion within the GOP. In Nebraska, where abortion is banned after 20 weeks of pregnancy,...
DOJ Appeals Abortion Pill
Ruling to Supreme Court
Apr 13, 2023 1:38 PM CDT
DOJ Appeals Abortion Pill Ruling to Supreme Court
Garland announces request for emergency relief restoring full access to mifepristone
- The Justice Department has announced it will not settle for the limited access to the abortion drug mifepristone that was restored late Wednesday by a federal appeals court. Attorney General Merrick Garland said the Justice Department "strongly disagrees" with the ruling, per ABC News , in announcing Thursday that the...
Abortion Pill Fight at SCOTUS
May Be 'Boundary Testing'
Apr 11, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
Abortion Pill Fight at SCOTUS May Be 'Boundary Testing'
Legal experts say even conservative judges will see reason to pause
- An attorney for abortion pill distributor Danco Laboratories says the company will appeal to the Supreme Court if the US 5th Circuit Court of Appeals doesn't block a Texas judge's decision to reverse FDA approval of mifepristone. It's an "unprecedented judicial assault on a careful regulatory...
Fate Uncertain as
Judges Face Off
Apr 8, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
Abortion Pill's Fate Uncertain as Judges Face Off
Texas' Kacsmaryk orders hold on mifepristone access, Washington's Rice orders the opposite
- Access to the most commonly used method of abortion in the US plunged into uncertainty Friday following conflicting court rulings over the legality of the abortion medication mifepristone that has been widely available for more than 20 years. For now, the drug that the Food and Drug Administration approved in...
Idaho Governor Signs
'Abortion Trafficking' Bill
Apr 6, 2023 12:51 PM CDT
Idaho Governor Signs 'Abortion Trafficking' Bill
First-of-its-kind law bans adults from helping minors get abortions without parents' consent
- Idaho Gov. Brad Little signed a bill into law Wednesday that makes it illegal for an adult to help a minor get an abortion without parental consent. The law is the first of its kind in the US and creates a new crime of "abortion trafficking," barring adults...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.