Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
House Judiciary Committee
Stories 1 - 20 |
One Republican Comes to
Garland's Defense in Hearing
Sep 20, 2023 3:09 PM CDT
One Republican Comes to Garland's Defense in Hearing
Grilling from House lawmakers focused on Hunter Biden
- Attorney General Merrick Garland was grilled by Republican lawmakers in his first appearance before the House Judiciary Committee in two years. In his opening statement, Republican committee chair Rep. Jim Jordan accused the Justice Department of protecting President Biden and his family while targeting Donald Trump, NBC News reports. In...
Wray Defends 'the Real FBI'
Jul 12, 2023 7:15 PM CDT
Wray Defends 'the Real FBI'
House Republicans accuse director of weaponizing agency,
- Director Chris Wray defended what he called the "real FBI" during a contentious congressional hearing Wednesday, rejecting a list of grievances from angry Republicans who are threatening to defund some operations and claiming the Justice Department is unfair to political conservatives, including Donald Trump. Wray, who testified for nearly...
Manhattan DA End Dispute
Over Trump Case
Apr 22, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
House Republicans, Manhattan DA End Dispute Over Trump Case
Alvin Bragg agrees to allow them to question ex-prosecutor
- Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg agreed Friday to let Republicans on the House Judiciary Committee question an ex-prosecutor about the criminal case against former President Donald Trump, the AP reports. Under the agreement, committee members will be able to question Mark Pomerantz under oath next month in Washington. The deal...
House Preps Bill to Raise
Age Limit for Certain Firearms
Jun 2, 2022 1:41 AM CDT
House Preps Bill to Raise Age Limit for Certain Firearms
But the legislation will be largely symbolic
- The House is beginning to put its stamp on gun legislation in response to mass shootings in Texas and New York by 18-year-old assailants who used semi-automatic rifles to kill 31 people, including 19 children. The House Judiciary Committee will hold a hearing Thursday to advance legislation that would raise...
Democrats Finally Get
Chance to Question McGahn
Jun 4, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Democrats Finally Get Chance to Question McGahn
Former White House counsel will appear before House Judiciary Committee Friday
- The House Judiciary Committee is poised to question former White House counsel Don McGahn behind closed doors on Friday, two years after House Democrats originally sought his testimony as part of investigations into former President Trump. The long-awaited interview is the result of an agreement reached last month in federal...
Apr 15, 2021 7:21 AM CDT
Vote Establishes Commission on Slavery Reparations
House Judiciary Committee advances bill HR 40
- A House panel advanced a decades-long effort to pay reparations to the descendants of slaves by approving legislation Wednesday that would create a commission to study the issue. It's the first time the House Judiciary Committee has acted on the legislation, per the AP . Still, prospects for final passage...
Rep. Matt Gaetz Acts After
Watching Britney Spears Film
Mar 10, 2021 11:40 AM CST
Rep. Matt Gaetz Acts After Watching Britney Spears Film
He joins Rep. Jim Jordan in requesting hearing on conservatorships
- The #FreeBritney movement has apparently gained the support of Reps. Matt Gaetz and Jim Jordan, who this week called for a hearing into Britney Spears' conservatorship. In a letter submitted Monday, the congressmen asked the House Judiciary Committee to investigate how conservatorships might be used "to effectively deprive individuals...
Aug 7, 2020 10:39 AM CDT
Court Rules Against Trump on Ex-Counsel McGahn
House panel can move ahead with effort to make him testify
- A federal appeals court in Washington on Friday revived House Democrats' lawsuit to force former White House counsel Don McGahn to appear before a congressional committee, per the AP . The full US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit voted 7-2 in ruling that the House Judiciary Committee...
Big Tech CEOs Head to
Congress for Historic Hearing
Jul 29, 2020 7:06 AM CDT
Big Tech CEOs Head to Congress for Historic Hearing
Apple, Amazon, Facebook, Google on the defense over rising power
- Chief executives of Facebook, Google, Apple, and Amazon are set to testify remotely before Congress on Wednesday as part of a hearing focusing on the size and power of the world's leading tech companies, following a yearlong investigation by the House judiciary’s antitrust subcommittee. Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg...
Russia Investigation Material
to Remain Secret Past Election
Jul 2, 2020 11:39 AM CDT
Russia Investigation Material to Remain Secret Past Election
Supreme Court won't decide on matter until next year
- House Democrats are unlikely to see secret material from Robert Mueller's Russia investigation before Election Day because of a move by the Supreme Court on Thursday. In what
reports is a victory for the White House, the court said it would take up the case on whether...
Nadler on Plans
to Subpoena Barr:
'It Is Very Much True'
Jun 23, 2020 7:21 AM CDT
Nadler on Plans to Subpoena Barr: 'It Is Very Much True'
Attorney general is expected to contest subpoena
- From drama in Manhattan to drama in DC: House Judiciary Chairman Jerry Nadler on Monday said he is prepared to subpoena Attorney General Bill Bar to appear before the committee on July 2. "We have begun the process to issue that subpoena," Nadler told MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow...
'Stop the Pain,' George Floyd's
Brother Tells Congress
Jun 10, 2020 6:24 PM CDT
'Stop the Pain,' George Floyd's Brother Tells Congress
Committee considering police legislation hears testimony from Philonise Floyd
- A day after his older brother's funeral , Philonise Floyd told a hushed House Judiciary Committee in Washington that he's weary. "I'm tired of the pain I'm feeling now, and I'm tired of the pain I feel every time another black person is killed for...
House Panel Demands
Bezos Himself Come Testify
May 1, 2020 2:23 PM CDT
House Panel Demands Bezos Himself Come Testify
Judiciary Committee investigating whether Amazon is cheating its own sellers
- A recent
Wall Street Journal
investigation discovered Amazon.com workers had used proprietary data from independent sellers on the site to boost its own competing products, and that probe has now spurred a call to Jeff Bezos himself to appear on Capitol Hill. The
reports that the company's...
Feb 28, 2020 5:10 PM CST
Court: McGahn Doesn't Have to Testify
Trump Wins a Ruling Reversing House Democrats' November Victory
- A federal appeals court decided Friday that House Democrats can't force former White House counsel Don McGahn to testify before them. The panel's 2-1 vote provides President Trump a victory in his effort to keep top advisers from testifying before Congress, as he did during the impeachment hearings,...
As Roger Stone
Feb 12, 2020 5:00 PM CST
As Roger Stone Questions Swirl, Barr Agrees to Testify
Attorney general will appear before House Judiciary Committee March 31
- Attorney General William Barr has agreed to testify before the House Judiciary Committee next month, appearing for the first time before the panel as questions swirl about whether he intervened in the case of a longtime ally of President Trump. House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler released a letter Wednesday...
Will Miss Part of Trial
Jan 27, 2020 6:24 AM CST
Impeachment Manager Will Miss Part of Trial
Jerrold Nadler's wife has pancreatic cancer
- One of the House's seven impeachment managers is going to have to miss parts of President Trump's trial. Rep. Jerrold Nadler, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, says his wife of 43 years, Joyce Miller, has pancreatic cancer and he will spent Monday with her in New York...
Panel Releases Final
Dec 16, 2019 11:20 AM CST
Panel Releases Final Impeachment Argument
Also, some Democrats want libertarian Justin Amash as an impeachment manager
- The House Judiciary Committee released a sweeping report Monday bolstering the case for impeaching President Trump, laying out the rationale and charges that accuse him of betraying the nation for his own political gain. The 650-page report comes two days before the full House will vote on two articles of...
Big Step Is Taken
in Trump Impeachment
Dec 13, 2019 9:11 AM CST
Big Step Is Taken in Trump Impeachment
Judiciary panel advances it, and a full vote in the House comes next
- The full House is now poised to vote on the impeachment of President Trump. That's the next step after the Judiciary Committee approved two articles of impeachment Friday morning with party-line votes of 23-17. The full House is likely to impeach Trump along (mostly) party lines next week, but...
Republicans Slam Abrupt
Delay of Impeachment Vote
Dec 13, 2019 6:52 AM CST
Republicans Slam Abrupt Delay of Impeachment Vote
Nadler unexpectedly called recess until Friday
- After a marathon 14-hour debate on articles of impeachment against President Trump Thursday, House Judiciary Committee Chairman Rep. Jerrold Nadler surprised Republicans by abruptly calling a recess. The Democrat said a vote on the articles of impeachment will now take place after the committee reconvenes at 10am Friday, the
Judiciary Chairman: Facts
Against Trump 'Overwhelming'
Dec 12, 2019 6:55 AM CST
Judiciary Chairman: Facts Against Trump 'Overwhelming'
House panel on Wednesday began 2-day hearing on articles of impeachment
- The final phase of the impeachment process before a House vote kicked off Wednesday evening, marking the first day of a two-day House Judiciary Committee hearing. In a hearing that Politico describes as a "four-hour partisan slugfest," Democrats and Republicans on the 41-member panel delivered blistering opening statements...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.