Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
US Has Never Had More
Sep 22, 2022 2:38 PM CDT
US Has Never Had More Cancer Survivors
Researchers count 18M
- A record 18 million people in the US can describe themselves with two important words: "cancer survivor." That's up 1 million from last year, according to a study by the American Association for Cancer Research, per CNN . The story notes that only 3 million cancer survivors were...
Sarah Sanders Hits Bump
in Road for Governor
Sep 17, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Sarah Sanders Hits Bump in Road for Governor
Ex-WH press secretary, 40, reveals thyroid cancer surgery, says she'll be back soon for Ark. campaign
- Former White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, who's running for governor in Arkansas, underwent surgery Friday for thyroid cancer. Sanders announced she underwent the surgery after a biopsy earlier this month revealed she had the cancer. Sanders was recovering at an Arkansas hospital on Friday, her campaign said....
This Is a 'Wake-Up Call'
on Danger of Air Pollution
Sep 13, 2022 11:50 AM CDT
This Is a 'Wake-Up Call' on Danger of Air Pollution
Researchers discover how fine particulate matter triggers gene mutations to form lung cancer
- For some of us, cells in our lungs mutate with age. These mutations seem perfectly healthy—until they come up against air pollution. The result is rapid changes in the cells that turn them cancerous, which could explain why people who've never smoked still develop lung cancer, according to...
Sep 12, 2022 7:40 PM CDT
Biden Evokes JFK Moonshot Challenge in Cancer Fight
Initiative aims to cut deaths from the disease in half in 25 years
- Sixty years to the day after President John F. Kennedy's famous speech about Americans reaching the moon, President Biden delivered an update on his plan to battle cancer that he likens to the challenge issued in 1962. "This cancer moonshot is one of the reasons why I ran...
Jane Fonda Shares Diagnosis:
'Cancer Is a Teacher'
Sep 3, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Jane Fonda Shares Diagnosis: 'Cancer Is a Teacher'
Actress and activist, 84, reveals she has non-Hodgkin lymphoma, is undergoing chemo
- Some news this week from actress and activist Jane Fonda via a social media post has fans sending her well wishes and messages of support. "My dear friends, I have something personal I want to share," the 84-year-old wrote Friday at the start of a long Instagram post...
Johnson & Johnson's
'No-Brainer' Fix on Baby Powder
Aug 12, 2022 10:49 AM CDT
Johnson & Johnson's 'No-Brainer' Fix on Baby Powder
Cornstarch will take its place, starting next year, after complaints talc caused cancer
- You already won't find Johnson & Johnson baby powder containing talc on most store shelves in the US and Canada, but now the company is nixing the ingredient in that product worldwide, after tens of thousands of complaints were filed alleging it caused cancer in consumers who used it....
DMV Revoked Her Vanity
Plate. She's Fighting Back
in case you missed it
Aug 7, 2022 4:25 PM CDT
DMV Revoked Her Vanity Plate. She's Fighting Back
Federal judge rules that Kari Lynn Overington's suit on 'FCANCER' plate may proceed
- Kari Lynn Overington was in a celebratory mood when she hit the milestone of being cancer-free for two years, so she treated herself to a new car and a vanity plate that said "FCANCER," a defiant message to the breast cancer she'd beat. The DMV issued the...
Dies at 40
Jun 29, 2022 7:49 AM CDT
UK Podcaster Deborah James Dies at 40
Mom of 2 announced last month she was in hospice care for bowel cancer
- Last month, podcaster Deborah James delivered some surprise news to fans, announcing her bowel cancer had returned after a bout of remission and that she was in hospice care at home. Now, a sad update out of the UK: James has died of her illness at the age of 40,...
Brings 'Great Relief'
Jun 7, 2022 12:35 PM CDT
Greg LeMond: Cancer Diagnosis Brings 'Great Relief'
US cycling legend had been feeling lousy for weeks
- Two-time world cycling champion and three-time Tour de France winner Greg LeMond has been diagnosed with a form of leukaemia, which he says is treatable. "No one ever wants to hear the word cancer but, admittedly, there is great relief, now, to know why I was feeling poorly,"...
Some Cancer Patients Can
Skip Chemo, Radiation
Jun 7, 2022 11:45 AM CDT
Some Cancer Patients Can Skip Chemo, Radiation
Studies point way to less treatment for some sufferers of colon and breast cancer
- After surgery, some cancer patients can safely skip radiation or chemotherapy, according to two studies exploring shorter, gentler cancer care. Researchers are looking for ways to precisely predict which cancer patients can avoid unneeded treatment to cut down on harmful side effects and unnecessary costs, per the AP . One new...
In Cancer Study, Every Single
Patient Sees Tumor Vanish
Jun 7, 2022 6:57 AM CDT
In Cancer Study, Every Single Patient Sees Tumor Vanish
Sample is small, just 18 people with rectal cancer, but results have stunned researchers
- Eighteen for 18. That is the remarkable record of success so far of an ongoing drug trial for patients with rectal cancer. Every patient enrolled in the study at the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York has seen their tumors vanish after taking the drug for six months,...
Eddie Van Halen's Son:
Show About Dad Is 'Pathetic'
Jun 3, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
Eddie Van Halen's Son: Show About Dad Is 'Pathetic'
Wolfgang calls out cable network's detailed look at rock star's illness
- An episode of a Reelz docuseries immersed in the details of Eddie Van Halen's cancer death has drawn fury from the rock star's family. His son, Wolfgang Van Halen, called the program "pathetic and heartless." Actress Valerie Bertinelli, who was married to Eddie Van Halen for...
in case you missed it
May 15, 2022 6:15 PM CDT
BBC's 'Bowel Babe' Blown Away by Damehood
Deborah James awarded for charity efforts days after announcing she was in hospice care
Deborah James' days are limited. But recent ones have been remarkable. The host of the BBC podcast "You, Me, and the Big C," now in hospice care with bowel cancer, was awarded damehood Thursday as her campaign to raise money for cancer research, started just four days...
Another Risk After Cancer
Apr 4, 2022 1:09 PM CDT
Another Risk After Cancer Diagnosis: Suicide
Two new studies look at the mental toll on patients
- Researchers have long known that cancer patients face higher risk of depression and other psychiatric disorders, as well as suicide. That may be unsurprising, given the terminal nature of some cancer diagnoses. However, two sweeping new studies go far deeper into the data than previous efforts, identifying patterns among patients...
First She Got the Doctor's
Call. Then Her Fiance Did
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 19, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
First She Got the Doctor's Call. Then Her Fiance Did
Mariah Nelesen, Clay Slenk move up wedding date after cancer diagnoses within 8 days of each other
- Mariah Nelesen and Clay Slenk's wedding on June 10 was supposed to be a grand affair, with every detail meticulously planned out. Now they've moved the date up to April 9, and they're planning on a reception meal of "burgers and brats on the grill,"...
His New Jail Sentence
Jan 29, 2022 5:30 AM CST
Star Hears His New Jail Sentence
'Joe Exotic,' aka Joseph Maldonado-Passage, gets 21 years instead of 22 in resentencing
Joseph Maldonado-Passage will be serving a little less time behind bars than expected. On Friday, an Oklahoma City federal judge resentenced the
star, also known as "Joe Exotic," to 21 years in prison—one year less than the original sentence in his murder-for-hire case, reports...
Scotland Jails Fugitive
Has Already Run
Jan 21, 2022 3:42 PM CST
Scotland Jails Fugitive Whose Obituary Has Already Run
Sheriff declares American Nicholas Alahverdian untrustworthy
: A wanted man who evaded capture for years after, authorities say, faking his death, was jailed Friday without bail in Scotland when the court decreed he "cannot be trusted." Nicholas Alahverdian was picked up after failing to show up for an extradition hearing, the AP reports. He'...
I Have Cancer
My Late Sister Had
Jan 15, 2022 7:00 AM CST
Chris Evert: I Have Cancer My Late Sister Had
Tennis Hall of Famer, in early stages of ovarian cancer, has started chemo
- While much of the attention in the tennis world has recently been focused on the upcoming Australian Open, especially Novak Djokovic's attempts to get into the country to play there, a message from legend Chris Evert on Friday evening shifted things to more sobering ground. "I wanted to...
New Woes on the
P&G Recall Front
Dec 21, 2021 8:45 AM CST
New Woes on the P&G Recall Front
Last month it was aerosol antiperspirants, over benzene; now it's various hair care products
First it was Procter & Gamble's antiperspirants. Now the company is recalling nearly three dozen dry shampoos, dry conditioners, and other hair care products, after "unexpected levels" of benzene, a cancer-causing chemical, were found in them, reports NBC News . In a Friday Food and Drug Administration release...
St. Jude's Has Billions, and
ProPublica Isn't Sure It Should
Nov 20, 2021 10:40 AM CST
St. Jude's Has Billions, and ProPublica Isn't Sure It Should
Site argues the charity has overly huge reserves as some of its families struggle financially
- ProPublica's stated mission is to investigate "abuses of power," which might make its deep dive into St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital seem confusing at first. Why would it be digging into what it describes as the "most highly regarded health care charity in the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Philadelphia Cuts Down Brewery's Entire Hop Crop
Dow Closes at New Low for 2022
Taylor Swift Fans Read Between Lines on NFL News
US Has Been Quietly Warning Russia Not to Go Nuclear
Captain Who Fatally Cut Parasail Line Arrested
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.