Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Researchers May Have
Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Nov 28, 2023 11:35 AM CST
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Newly discovered stem cell in spine could explain why so many cancers spread there
- Scientists have long known that cancers often spread to the spine, but they haven't known why. A new discovery may provide an answer—and point to ways to keep cancerous cells in check, reports
. Researchers at Weill Cornell Medicine report in the journal
$1K Screening Test May
Upend Cancer Management
Oct 29, 2023 2:40 PM CDT
$1K Screening Test May Upend Cancer Management
Early detection tests are here, though skeptics are worried about false positives
- A multicancer early detection test that can screen for over 50 types of cancer is getting a lot of buzz, but not all doctors are on board with administering it. Grail's Galleri test, which costs $949 and isn't covered by most insurance plans, fits with the growing trend...
Cause of Death for
Suzanne Somers Is In
Oct 28, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Cause of Death for Suzanne Somers Is In
Breast cancer had spread to brain of 'Three's Company' actor
- Suzanne Somers had battled breast cancer for decades, and that was indeed her official cause of death, reports
. But as the death certificate shows for the
actor, who died at age 76 earlier this month, that cancer had spread, per the Blast . "Breast cancer with...
Cancer Scammer Apologizes:
'I Didn't Do This for Money'
Oct 23, 2023 11:10 AM CDT
Cancer Scammer Apologizes: 'I Didn't Do This for Money'
Madison Russo says it was an attempt to keep her family together; she will avoid prison
- An Iowa woman who falsely claimed to have cancer and documented her "battle" on social media will stay out of prison after a judge gave her probation and a suspended sentence, per the AP . Madison Russo, 20, never had pancreatic cancer, leukemia, or the football-sized tumor wrapped around her...
Patient Pulls Off
Grueling Feat at
Sep 18, 2023 10:05 AM CDT
Elderly Cancer Patient Pulls Off Grueling Feat at Grand Canyon
Fran Anderson, 81, finishes 24-mile rim-to-rim hike in 21 hours, with family by her side
- An 81-year-old grandmother of nine with blood cancer who nearly died of pneumonia a few months back has pulled off a feat that would test even the healthiest among us. On Sept. 4, Fran Anderson of Orange, California, finished a rim-to-rim hike across the Grand Canyon, a 24-mile trek that...
Cancer in Under-50s
Is Up 79% Since 1990
Sep 6, 2023 2:40 PM CDT
Cancer in Under-50s Is Up 79% Since 1990
Poor diets, lack of exercise may be partly to blame, researchers say
- The number of cancer cases in people under 50 has surged almost 80% in three decades, and it's not entirely clear why, researchers say. According to a study published in the journal
, some 3.26 million people under 50 worldwide were diagnosed with cancer in 2019, an...
a World First
Aug 30, 2023 6:33 PM CDT
7-Minute Cancer Treatment Is a World First
It's so long, IV drip, and hello, atezolizumab injection for patients in England
- Cancer patients in England will be the first to benefit from an injection that will cut treatment times by up to 75%. Atezolizumab, sold under the brand name Tecentriq, is a monoclonal antibody medication that blocks a protein that prevents the immune system from attacking cancer cells and is used...
More Younger People
Are Getting Cancer
Aug 17, 2023 12:17 PM CDT
More Younger People Are Getting Cancer
Uptick is particularly striking among women
- The good news in a new assessment of cancer cases in the US is that numbers are decreasing for those ages 50 and older. The more troubling news is that cases ticked up among people younger than 50—particularly among women and those in their 30s, reports the
At This AFB, Cancer Diagnoses
Abound. Now, a New Find
Aug 8, 2023 8:49 AM CDT
At This AFB, Cancer Diagnoses Abound. Now, a New Find
Air Force finds unsafe carcinogen levels at Montana's Malmstrom nuclear missiles base
- The Air Force has detected unsafe levels of a likely carcinogen at underground launch control centers at a Montana nuclear missile base where a striking number of men and women have reported cancer diagnoses. A new cleanup effort has now been ordered, reports the AP . The discovery "is the...
Motorcycle Crash, House Fire,
Cancer: This Is a Bad Day
Jul 17, 2023 12:52 PM CDT
Motorcycle Crash, House Fire, Cancer: This Is a Bad Day
Iowa's Wendy Hansen is trying to keep in mind the silver lining of that diagnosis
- It's one to remember when you
you're having a rough day: Earlier this month, Wendy Hansen of Iowa lost her home to a fire, crashed her motorcycle while racing to said fire, then was diagnosed with cancer while being treated for the injuries in that motorcycle crash,...
Cheap Vacation Trips in 1960s
May Be Taking a Toll Today
in case you missed it
Jul 15, 2023 7:15 AM CDT
Cheap Vacation Trips in 1960s May Be Taking a Toll Today
UK cancer group blames spike in skin cancer cases on long-ago boom in holiday excursions
- A cancer group in the UK is blaming a spike in skin cancer partly on an unusual factor: the popularity of cheap vacation trips back in the 1960s. Cancer Research UK reports that overall melanoma cases have reached a record-high 17,500 cases a year, reports the
. And the...
Deadliest Skin Cancer Is
Deadliest for Black Men
Jul 11, 2023 11:36 AM CDT
Deadliest Skin Cancer Is Deadliest for Black Men
One factor that plays a role in the US: diagnosis delays, scientists say
- Melanoma, the most dangerous form of skin cancer, is more common and more deadly in men than it is in women. It is also much more common in white men than in Black men, yet Black men ultimately fare worse, the reasons for which are explored in what's touted...
Evert and Navratilova:
Their 'Eerie' Parallel Lives
Jul 3, 2023 7:20 AM CDT
Evert and Navratilova: Their 'Eerie' Parallel Lives
Sally Jenkins of the 'Washington Post' does a deep dive into their tennis rivalry, close friendship, cancer fights
- "Our lives are so parallel, it's eerie when you think about it." That is tennis great Martina Navratilova talking about fellow tennis great Chris Evert to Sally Jenkins of the
. The sentiment is at the heart of an in-depth look at the relationship between the...
Long COVID Patients
May Fare Worse Than
Some With Cancer
Jun 8, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
Long COVID Patients May Fare Worse Than Some With Cancer
Fatigue is No. 1 symptom among this group, which sees 'shockingly' low quality-of-life scores
- Medical experts and researchers are still wrangling with the intricacies of long COVID , the label given to health issues that persist or emerge after one's initial bout with the coronavirus is believed to have "ended." Now, a study out of the UK sheds more light on how...
Shannen Doherty on Cancer:
'My Fear Is Obvious'
Jun 7, 2023 9:08 AM CDT
Shannen Doherty on Cancer: 'My Fear Is Obvious'
Actor shares footage of her undergoing brain radiation as cancer is found to have spread
- Shannen Doherty's cancer has spread to her brain. The actor, diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer in 2020, provided an update on her health Tuesday, sharing a video of her undergoing radiation therapy to treat brain metastases, also known as metastatic brain tumors. "This is what cancer can...
Cancer Just Got
a Little Less Scary
May 11, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
Cancer Just Got a Little Less Scary
BioNTech's mRNA vaccine appears to prevent pancreatic cancer's return in phase one trial
- BioNTech's COVID-19 vaccine overshadowed its development of an mRNA vaccine to target cancer , but that vaccine takes center stage in a phase one trial, offering new hope for the treatment of notoriously deadly and stubborn pancreatic cancers. Some 90% of pancreatic cancer patients who have tumors surgically removed see...
She Was a
Staple for Nearly Half-Century
May 11, 2023 9:12 AM CDT
She Was a
Staple for Nearly Half-Century
Actor Jacklyn Zeman, who played nurse Bobbie Spencer on ABC soap, dies at 70 of cancer
- Jacklyn Zeman, who became one of the most recognizable actors on daytime television during 45 years of playing Bobbie Spencer on ABC's
, has died. She was 70. Zeman died after a short battle with cancer, her family confirmed Wednesday, per the AP . News of her death was...
Keep an Eye Out for These
Early Signs of Colon Cancer
May 4, 2023 11:27 AM CDT
Keep an Eye Out for These Early Signs of Colon Cancer
Researchers pinpoint the signals to look for in disease seeing a rise among young adults
- Colon cancer is on the rise among young adults, and the cases have been much more aggressive than they used to be. That's why scientists hope the public pays attention to info out of a new study from St. Louis' Washington University School of Medicine, which looked for early...
Consumer Reports: Avoid
Those Purple and Pink Peeps
Apr 8, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Consumer Reports: Avoid Those Purple and Pink Peeps
Marshmallow candies look yummy, but Consumer Reports warns of their cancer-tied Red Dye No. 3
- If you're picking up some last-minute Peeps for the kids' Easter baskets this weekend, you might want to stick with the yellow variety. That's because although the pink and purple marshmallow-candy chicks and bunnies are definitely eye-catching, Consumer Reports has issued a warning that those versions of the...
Mar 31, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Congressman Says He'll Beat Cancer
Tests found a tumor on Rep. Dan Kildee's tonsil
- Rep. Dan Kildee said Friday he's headed for surgery to remove a cancerous tumor on a tonsil. He'll be out of the office for awhile, the Michigan Democrat said in a statement, but he expects to recover and return to work in Congress. "I am going to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Awards Season Kicks Off With De Niro Going Off-Script
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.