Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
State Prohibits Local Bans
on Natural Gas Stoves
Mar 21, 2023 12:40 PM CDT
State Prohibits Local Bans on Natural Gas Stoves
No one is trying to enact one in Tennessee anyway
- Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee has signed legislation that says local governments can't ban gas stoves, even though no current city in the state is pursuing such an action. The legislation was introduced amid fears earlier this year that the Biden administration was considering a nationwide ban on gas stoves...
13% of US Child Asthma
Cases Blamed on Gas Stoves
Jan 6, 2023 1:11 PM CST
13% of US Child Asthma Cases Blamed on Gas Stoves
It's about the same prevalence as caused by second-hand smoke, researcher says
- Gas stoves, found in 35% of US homes, are responsible for about one in eight cases of childhood asthma in the US, according to what researchers describe as "eye-popping" new findings. Studies have shown gas stoves, even when not in use , emit a level of pollution "that can...
Hit by Sudden Leaks
Sep 27, 2022 7:21 AM CDT
2 Major Russian Pipelines Hit by Sudden Leaks
No one's quite sure yet what caused the issues to Nord Stream 1, 2, running from Russia to Germany
- Two major Russian gas pipelines have both sprung leaks. That's the word from German and Danish authorities on the Nord Stream 1 and 2, both of which saw a sudden drop in pressure on Monday, per the
New York Times
. A release from Nord Stream AG announced the pressure...
Get Ready for Super-High
Electric Bills This Winter
Sep 19, 2022 2:23 PM CDT
Get Ready for Super-High Electric Bills This Winter
Natural gas supply crunch has Americans bracing for costly winter
- Perhaps it’s too much to simply hope for a mild winter. Otherwise, Americans can expect ever-higher utility bills, according to the
Wall Street Journal,
as experts forecast an average 35% jump in home-heating costs compared to 2020. Of course, high energy costs are nothing new in 2022, especially in...
Germany Wants Cool Offices
Aug 13, 2022 4:40 PM CDT
Germany Wants Cool Offices
Nation wants to cut dependency on natural gas from Russia
- German businesses and public institutions should heat their offices no higher than 19 degrees Celsius—66.2 degrees Fahrenheit—this winter to help reduce the country's consumption of natural gas, Germany’s economy minister said Saturday. Germany, the European Union's biggest economy, is quickly trying to wean itself...
Europeans Urged to Prepare
for Russian Gas Cutoff
Jul 21, 2022 5:26 AM CDT
Europeans Urged to Prepare for Russian Gas Cutoff
Key pipeline has resumed operations with reduced flow
- The European Union is urging its members to start cutting back on natural gas to prepare for winter—and a possible end to supplies from Russia. Gas resumed flowing from Russia to Germany through the key Nord Stream 1 pipeline Thursday after 10 days offline for regular maintenance, the
Europe Steps Up Efforts
to Replace Russian Gas
Jul 18, 2022 1:59 PM CDT
Europe Steps Up Efforts to Replace Russian Gas
Deals were signed Monday with Algeria, Azerbaijan, UAE
- European leaders ramped up their push to secure alternative energy supplies Monday as fears escalate of a complete natural gas cutoff by Russia, with the leaders of Italy, France, and the European Union sealing deals with their counterparts in Algeria, Azerbaijan, and the United Arab Emirates. With his government's...
As Russia Cuts
Gas Flow, One
It's in 'Crisis'
Jun 23, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
As Russia Cuts Gas Flow, One Nation Says It's in 'Crisis'
Germany says storage targets for winter are at risk as Russia reduces energy deliveries to EU nations
- Germany activated the second phase of its three-stage emergency plan for natural gas supplies Thursday, warning that Europe's biggest economy faces a "crisis" and that storage targets for the winter are at risk. The government said the decision follows cuts Russia made to natural gas flows starting last...
Russia Is Cutting Off
Gas Supplies to
Apr 26, 2022 4:51 PM CDT
Russia Is Cutting Off Gas Supplies to 2 Countries
They've rejected demand to pay in rubles instead of euros or dollars
- Russia is cutting off natural gas supplies to Poland and Bulgaria because the two countries have refused Moscow's demand to pay in rubles instead of dollars or euros, officials say. This is the first time Russia has cut off any country's gas supply since it launched its invasion...
Europe Needs Russia's Gas.
That's a Grave Weakness
Feb 24, 2022 9:45 AM CST
Europe Needs Russia's Gas. That's a Grave Weakness
A look at the implications of the world's dependence on Russian natural gas
- One of Russia's most powerful weapons isn't a weapon at all. It's natural gas. As Kenneth C. Griffin and Niall Ferguson write in a
Wall Street Journal
op-ed, "Without Russian energy, European citizens would struggle to get through winter. Mr. Putin has long understood the leverage...
Movement Tries to Sell
Switching From Gas in Homes
Dec 20, 2021 7:15 PM CST
Movement Tries to Sell Switching From Gas in Homes
Climate and health reasons drive the switch, though the industry argues the points
- The movement to turn off the gas in homes is picking up steam. More cities are prohibiting the use of gas in new homes and businesses, and even in existing buildings, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. Just last week, the New York City Council approved a ban for most new...
A Stunning Reversal
on Big Pipeline
Jul 6, 2020 1:21 AM CDT
A Stunning Reversal on Big Pipeline
Atlantic Coast Pipeline is no longer happening
- The companies looking to build the controversial Atlantic Coast Pipeline have abandoned the $8 billion project, a stunning reversal that got this reaction out of a senior attorney for the Southern Environment Law Center: "Wow! Wow!" Dominion Energy and Duke Energy partnered on the 600-mile-long, 42-inch-wide natural gas...
This EPA Rollback
Has a Twist
Aug 29, 2019 8:30 AM CDT
This EPA Rollback Has a Twist
Agency moves to loosen methane regulations, but big companies like Exxon oppose the idea
- The EPA has begun the process of overturning an Obama-era rule on the emission of methane at oil and gas operations, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The move is in line with the Trump administration's anti-regulatory philosophy, but environmentalists are incensed because methane is seen as a major contributor...
1 Dead, 15 Hurt in
Calif. Home Explosion
Jul 16, 2019 12:29 AM CDT
1 Dead, 15 Hurt in Calif. Home Explosion
Natural gas blast destroyed Murrieta home
- A natural gas explosion destroyed a southern California home, killed a gas company worker and injured more than a dozen other people Monday, authorities say. The explosion in Murrieta, in Riverside County, shortly after noon sent up a wall of fire and smoke and rocked nearby homes before the gas...
May 30, 2019 12:20 PM CDT
Introducing America's New Export, 'Freedom Gas'
Department of Energy's new term is met with skepticism
- Why call it liquefied natural gas when you can call it "freedom gas"? The patriotic term is making headlines after being spotted in a press release from the Department of Energy. On Tuesday, the department headed by Rick Perry announced that exports of the fuel source would be...
Court Cites Dr. Seuss
in Ruling Against Pipeline
Dec 17, 2018 7:59 AM CST
Court Cites Dr. Seuss in Ruling Against Pipeline
Virginia judges say Forest Service failed its duty to 'speak for the trees,' Lorax-style
- A federal appeals court in Virginia thinks the US Forest Service forgot a fundamental part of its mission, and it summoned Dr. Seuss to remind them. “We trust the United States Forest Service to ‘speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues,'" the fourth...
A Big First for OPEC as
One Nation Pulls Out
Dec 3, 2018 6:51 AM CST
A Big First for OPEC as One Nation Pulls Out
Qatar will be leaving the oil cartel in January, the first time a Mideast nation has done so
- The tiny Arab nation of Qatar announced Monday it will withdraw from the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, or OPEC, in January, mixing its aspirations to increase production outside of the cartel's constraints with the politics of slighting the Saudi-dominated group amid the kingdom's boycott of Doha....
Site of US' Worst Nuke
Meltdown Would Like a Bailout
May 30, 2017 12:31 PM CDT
Site of US' Worst Nuke Meltdown Would Like a Bailout
Owner of Three Mile Island says it will shut plant down in 2019 without a rescue
- The owner of Three Mile Island, site of the worst US commercial nuclear power accident, says it'll shut the plant in 2019 without a financial rescue from Pennsylvania. Exelon Corp.'s move comes after what it called more than five years of losses on the single-unit power plant...
Al Gore's Daughter
Arrested in Boston Protest
Jul 1, 2016 2:00 AM CDT
Al Gore's Daughter Arrested in Boston Protest
Karenna Gore is facing charges of resisting arrest, trespassing, disturbing the peace
- Karenna Gore, the oldest daughter of Al Gore, was arrested along with 22 other activists during a protest Wednesday in Boston, Grist reports. The group was protesting a pipeline being built by Spectra Energy that will move fracked gas through a Boston neighborhood. According to WCVB , Gore, a mother of...
Jury Awards 2 Couples
$4.2M Over Fracking Pollution
Mar 11, 2016 9:50 AM CST
Jury Awards 2 Couples $4.2M Over Fracking Pollution
Couples argued methane reached water wells in Pennsylvania
- It was worth the wait: Two Pennsylvania couples were awarded $4.2 million on Thursday, more than six years after first accusing Cabot Oil & Gas of contaminating their well water. Originally among a group of 44 Susquehanna County residents who sued Cabot in 2009, these two couples—Nolen Scott...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.