Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Russia Celebrates Itself
While Taking Digs at West
Nov 4, 2023 12:50 PM CDT
Russia Celebrates Itself While Taking Digs at West
Expo precedes election in which Putin could seek another term
- With pointed disdain for the West, Russia on Saturday unveiled a sprawling exposition highlighting the nation's accomplishments, which will run through the months leading to the presidential election in which President Vladimir Putin is widely expected to seek a new term. Putin issued a decree in March to hold...
Putin Move Raises Fears
of More Nuclear Tests
Nov 2, 2023 12:08 PM CDT
Putin Move Raises Fears of More Nuclear Tests
Russian leader signs bill revoking ratification of test ban treaty
- President Vladimir Putin on Thursday signed a bill revoking Russia's ratification of a global nuclear test ban, a move that Moscow said was needed to establish parity with the United States. Putin has said that rescinding the ratification of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty, also known as the CTBT, would...
Ukraine: Russia's Shelling in
Single Day Is a 2023 Record
Nov 2, 2023 7:50 AM CDT
Ukraine: Russia's Shelling in Single Day Is a 2023 Record
In just 24 hours, 118 settlements in 10 of the nation's regions were bombarded: interior minister
- This week, Ukraine saw more than 100 of its settlements attacked by Russia over a one-day span—the most in that time period since the war between the two nations started in February 2022. "Over the last 24 hours, the enemy shelled 118 settlements in 10 regions," Ihor...
Oct 25, 2023 7:15 PM CDT
Russia Says It Practiced Nuclear Strike
Parliament approves dropping ratification of test ban treaty
- Russian parliament on Wednesday rescinded its ratification of a nuclear test ban treaty signed in 1996, and, as if for emphasis, the nation's military then conducted a simulated nuclear strike. State TV showed Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu reporting on the rehearsal to President Vladimir Putin, the BBC reports. The...
Putin Implicates Drugs, Alcohol,
Grenades in Prigozhin's Death
Oct 6, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Putin Implicates Drugs, Alcohol, Grenades in Prigozhin's Death
Russian president says grenades onboard the plane may have caused crash
- US officials may believe Vladimir Putin ordered the death of Wagner chief Yevgeny Prigozhin, but the Russian president himself is sharing a different theory on the plane crash that killed the mercenary leader. In his first comments on the possible cause of the wreck, which is widely believed to have...
Sep 30, 2023 3:55 PM CDT
Putin Marks Illegal Takeover of Ukrainian Regions
Vote showed people chose to be with 'their Fatherland,' Russian ruler says
- Russian President Vladimir Putin marked the annexation of regions in Ukraine one year ago with a video address Saturday that claimed recent local elections demonstrate that their people want to be allied with Russia. "Just as a year ago in the historic referendums, people again expressed and confirmed their...
As Sentence Is Upheld,
Navalny Describes Prison Hell
Sep 27, 2023 8:19 AM CDT
As Sentence Is Upheld, Navalny Describes Prison Hell
Or, perhaps, the opposite: extreme cold
- A Moscow appeals court has upheld the 19-year sentence handed down in August to Alexei Navalny, who will now be transferred to a different maximum security facility to serve the lengthiest of the three sentences he's been given so far. The Putin critic had been serving a 9-year sentence...
for Russia's War
Sep 13, 2023 6:31 AM CDT
Kim Pledges 'Unconditional Support' for Russia's War
Wednesday's meeting in Russia's Far East suggests likelihood of a weapons deal
- Kim Jong Un vowed "full and unconditional support" for Russia's "just fight" during his summit with President Vladimir Putin on Wednesday, suggesting North Korea may well supply ammunition to the "special military operation" in Ukraine. Kim made the comments after touring launch pads with Putin at...
Kim Jong Un,
Sep 13, 2023 12:32 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un, Vladimir Putin Shake Hands
North Korean leader meets with Russian president
- Russian President Vladimir Putin and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un shook hands Wednesday as they launched their highly anticipated meeting at the Vostochny cosmodrome in Russia's far east. Kim's powerful sister, Kim Yo Jong, is there too. Hours before the meeting started, Pyongyang launched two short-range ballistic...
Kim Jong Un Arrives in
Russia for Putin Meeting
Sep 12, 2023 2:31 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un Arrives in Russia for Putin Meeting
Kim reportedly wants to trade munitions for aid, military tech
- North Korea's Kim Jong Un arrived in Russia on Tuesday for a meeting with President Vladimir Putin where they are expected to offer each other increased support in their escalating standoffs with the West, the AP reports. North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency said Kim boarded his...
One of Putin's
May Be Key in
Sep 11, 2023 7:55 AM CDT
One of Putin's Assassins May Be Key in Prisoner Swap
'Wall Street Journal' explores the world of jailed hit man Vadim Krasikov
- Somewhere in Germany, a Russian by the name of Vadim Krasikov is serving out his life sentence for the brazen execution of a man in a Berlin park crowded with families in 2019. As the
Wall Street Journal
reports, after Krasikov calmly shot his victim multiple times, he bicycled away,...
UK Pushing Back Hard
on This Russian 'Military Tool'
Sep 6, 2023 7:59 AM CDT
UK Pushing Back Hard on This Russian 'Military Tool'
Nation wants to deem Prigozhin-less Wagner Group a terrorist organization
- Yevgeny Prigozhin may be out of the picture , but the Wagner Group is still causing leeriness around the globe—and the United Kingdom is now set to deem it a terrorist organization. "They are terrorists, plain and simple," Home Secretary Suella Braverman said Wednesday of the Russian mercenary...
Kim Jong Un, Putin Meeting
in Russia Soon: Reports
Sep 5, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un, Putin Meeting in Russia Soon: Reports
Leaders expected to discuss weapons, sources say
- A US official said Monday that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un may travel to Russia soon to meet with President Vladimir Putin as the Kremlin tries to acquire military equipment for use in its war in Ukraine, the AP reports. The official, who was not authorized to address the...
Putin: It's a No for Me
on Ukraine Grain Deal
Sep 4, 2023 11:45 AM CDT
Putin: It's a No for Me on Ukraine Grain Deal
After Turkey talks, Russian leader says he could commit to deal 'within days' if his demands are met
- Earlier Monday, Vladimir Putin had said he was "open to negotiations" on reviving an agreement that would allow Ukraine to export grain and other commodities through Black Sea ports. Those negotiations are now apparently over, at least for now, and the answer from the Russian leader is a no,...
There's a Lot Riding on
Sep 4, 2023 6:44 AM CDT
There's a Lot Riding on Erdogan-Putin Meeting
Turkish, Russian leaders are meeting Monday in Sochi in effort to restart exports of Ukrainian grain
- Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Monday sought to persuade Russian President Vladimir Putin to revive an agreement that allowed Ukraine to export grain and other commodities from three Black Sea ports despite the war with Russia. Putin in July refused to extend the agreement, reports the AP , which...
In Video, Prigozhin
Addressed Threats to His Life
Sep 1, 2023 6:01 AM CDT
In Video, Prigozhin Addressed Threats to His Life
'Everything's OK,' he said in video possibly recorded in the days before his Aug. 23 death
- Wagner chief Yevgeny Prigozhin reportedly addressed rumors about threats to his safety days before his business jet fell from the sky. "For those who are discussing whether I am alive or not ... everything's OK," Prigozhin says in a short video released Thursday by a Telegram channel with...
Putin, Kim Jong Un
Have Swapped Letters
Aug 30, 2023 12:35 PM CDT
US Intelligence: Putin, Kim Jong Un Have Swapped Letters
Russia is believed to be seeking North Korean arms
- The White House on Wednesday said that it has new intelligence that shows Vladimir Putin and Kim Jong Un have swapped letters as Russia looks to North Korea for munitions for the Ukraine war. National Security Council spokesman John Kirby detailed the latest finding just weeks after the White House...
Prigozhin Is Quietly Buried,
With Fitting Subterfuge
Aug 29, 2023 3:10 PM CDT
Prigozhin Is Quietly Buried, With Fitting Subterfuge
Putin did not attend the secretive service in St. Petersburg
- Yevgeny Prigozhin was a buried in a private service on Tuesday, and the
notes that it was especially fitting in one respect: The burial came amid the same kind of secrecy and subterfuge in which Prigozhin traveled while alive. Hearses went to at least three cemeteries in his...
After Prigozhin's Death, Putin
Issues Wagner Force Decree
Aug 26, 2023 2:50 PM CDT
After Prigozhin's Death, Putin Issues Wagner Force Decree
Mercenaries must swear allegiance to Russian government
- All private military contractors working for Russia, including Wagner Group mercenaries, now must swear allegiance to the government under a decree signed by President Vladimir Putin. The decree, issued two days after the Wagner hierarchy apparently was killed in a plane crash, applies to anyone involved in military activities in...
Prigozhin Shrugged Off Risks:
'We Will All Go to Hell'
Aug 25, 2023 11:12 AM CDT
Prigozhin Shrugged Off Risks: 'We Will All Go to Hell'
Wagner Group leader routinely donned wigs in recent years, was accustomed to living on the run
- The Kremlin insists it had nothing to do with the death of Yevgeny Prigozhin. Much of the rest of the world isn't so sure about that. "To some, the fact that Mr. Prigozhin was able to survive for two months after staging his rebellion was more surprising than...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Chinese Chef in Hot Water Over Egg Fried Rice Video
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.