Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
One Week After This Crash,
NASCAR Driver Is Back
Sep 1, 2023 1:37 PM CDT
One Week After This Crash, NASCAR Driver Is Back
Ryan Preece will be racing in South Carolina this weekend
- Ryan Preece has been cleared to race in the Southern 500 at Darlington Raceway in South Carolina after a frightening crash at Daytona a week ago. "I'll see you at Darlington," Preece said in a social media video posted Friday by his Stewart-Haas Racing team. "I'...
Aug 6, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
NASCAR Driver Suspended Over George Floyd Meme
Noah Gragson apologizes after liking post that mocked the late Floyd
- Driver Noah Gragson has been suspended indefinitely by NASCAR and Legacy Motor Club after liking an insensitive meme with a photo of George Floyd's face, per the AP . "I am disappointed in myself for my lack of attention and actions on social media," Gragson posted Saturday. "I understand the...
Jimmie Johnson's In-Laws
Die in Murder-Suicide
Jun 27, 2023 4:23 PM CDT
Jimmie Johnson's In-Laws Die in Murder-Suicide
Police say Terry Janway killed husband, grandson at Oklahoma home
- NASCAR driver Jimmie Johnson has pulled out of this weekend's NASCAR Cup Series race in Chicago after a horrific family tragedy. His in-laws and their grandson, Johnson's nephew, died in an apparent murder-suicide at their Oklahoma home Monday night, police say. Police say Terry and Jack Janway, the...
Daytona 500 Winner Had
2-Word Note Taped in His Car
Feb 19, 2023 9:14 PM CST
Daytona 500 Winner Had 2-Word Note Taped in His Car
Ricky Stenhouse Jr. wins longest Daytona 500 in history
- Ricky Stenhouse Jr. has had a rollercoaster career in which he had to fight to keep a job, lost his seat at a NASCAR powerhouse team, and opened his 14th season mired in a five-year losing streak. To say this Daytona 500 was a milestone race was an understatement—for...
Danica Patrick on Breast
Implants: 'Get Them Removed'
Oct 28, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
Danica Patrick on Breast Implants: 'Get Them Removed'
That's the NASCAR star's advice after her own 4-year ordeal
- When Danica Patrick got breast implants in 2014, she thought it was her way "to have it all." Eight years later, the 40-year-old former NASCAR star is revealing the harm to her body she suffered as a result, and warning other women of the dangers. Patrick says she...
NASCAR Plans Race
Through Downtown Chicago
Jul 19, 2022 7:01 PM CDT
NASCAR Plans Race Through Downtown Chicago
Street race will mark NASCAR's 75th season next year
- NASCAR will celebrate its 75th season with an unprecedented street race through downtown Chicago in yet another radical change to the once staid schedule. The Cup Series will race against the backdrop of Lake Michigan and Grant Park next July 2 in the debut race of a three-year deal with...
NASCAR Driver Stabbed
to Death at Gas Station
Jul 17, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
NASCAR Driver Stabbed to Death at Gas Station
Bobby East, 37, was killed in Westminster, Calif.
- A 37-year-old NASCAR driver was stabbed to death at a gas station in California this week, and police killed his alleged assailant two days later, reports Fox News . Police in Westminster say Bobby East, who competed in the United States Auto Club division, was attacked at a gas station Wednesday...
Brandon (Yes, That One)
Would Like a Word
in case you missed it
Dec 25, 2021 6:15 AM CST
Brandon (Yes, That One) Would Like a Word
NASCAR driver-turned-meme would rather focus on cars than politics
- Even people unfamiliar with NASCAR know his name, or at least his first one. Brandon Brown is the 28-year-old driver who inadvertently became a political meme in October when his name turned into a slogan for opponents of President Biden. He's the "Brandon" of "Let's Go...
to Do With 'Let's
Nov 6, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
NASCAR Doesn't Want Anything to Do With 'Let's Go, Brandon'
President Steve Phelps seeks to distance company from political phrase criticizing President Biden
- "Let's go, Brandon," an anti-Biden catchphrase , has caught fire in recent weeks in conservative circles. But one big company is now trying to distance itself, with a warning. "It's an unfortunate situation," NASCAR President Steve Phelps said Friday of the slogan, per the AP...
He's Just the 2nd Black
NASCAR Driver to Do This
Oct 5, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
He's Just the 2nd Black NASCAR Driver to Do This
Bubba Wallace wins a race at the Cup Series level
- The hard part wasn't dodging his way around a crash and then driving to the front of the field at Talladega Superspeedway. That was just instinct for Bubba Wallace. The challenge was the 45 minutes after Wallace took the lead, when the sky opened and he anxiously sat in...
Cops: Ex-NASCAR Driver
Shot Dead After Attacking Wife
Oct 4, 2021 6:15 PM CDT
Cops: Ex-NASCAR Driver Shot Dead After Attacking Wife
John Townley attacked Laura Townley, another man with hatchet, police say
- Former NASCAR driver John Townley was shot dead in Georgia on Saturday night—but no charges have been filed against the alleged shooter. Police say the 31-year-old turned up at a home in Athens and attacked ex-wife Laura Townley and another man with a hatchet, NBC reports. The other man,...
Dies at 42
May 3, 2021 2:21 AM CDT
Ex-NASCAR Driver Eric McClure Dies at 42
Few details have been released, and an autopsy is pending
- Former NASCAR driver Eric McClure died Sunday, his family and the series said. He was 42. No details were given about his death, the AP reports. McClure had posted on social media as recently as Saturday. The Washington County sheriff's office said McClure's body was sent to Roanoke,...
Starts New Sport
Feb 14, 2021 10:10 AM CST
Michael Jordan Starts New Sport
NASCAR season opens with groundbreaking team that has Bubba Wallace at the wheel
- Michael Jordan enters a new arena Sunday, as co-owner of a NASCAR team in the Daytona 500. He's new to the role—having spent his formative years playing basketball and baseball—but he's surrounded by experience, WCNC reports. Denny Hamlin, the co-owner, has won Daytona three times. And...
Newlyweds Die on
Nov 28, 2020 10:51 AM CST
Newlyweds Die on Florida Honeymoon
William and Blakley Harrell were driving on Lower Matecumbe Key
- A horrific car crash in Florida took the life of a NASCAR crew member and his new bride this week—who were on their honeymoon, no less. William "Rowdy" Harrell, 30, and his 23-year-old wife Blakley were driving Wednesday on US 1 on Lower Matecumbe Key when their Toyota...
NASCAR Driver Suspended
Over Video-Game Slur to Return
Oct 20, 2020 2:09 PM CDT
NASCAR Driver Suspended Over Video-Game Slur to Return
Kyle Larson can resume competition next season
- Kyle Larson can return to NASCAR competition next season following a long suspension for using a racial slur while playing a video game . He was suspended in April after he used the n-word while playing an online racing game in which viewers could follow along. He was dropped by his...
Greets NASCAR Fans
Jul 15, 2020 7:16 PM CDT
Confederate Flag Greets NASCAR Fans
A plane also flew a flag reading 'Defund NASCAR'
- Fans are trickling into Bristol Motor Speedway for Wednesday night's All-Star race in NASCAR's largest event with spectators since the coronavirus pandemic shut sports down in March. They were greeted by a plane flying over the Tennessee track that was pulling a banner of the Confederate flag, which...
Responds to Trump
Jul 7, 2020 1:32 AM CDT
NASCAR's Bubba Wallace Responds to Trump
By telling his young fans, 'Love wins'
- Hours after President Trump claimed that Bubba Wallace, NASCAR's only black driver, should apologize for the noose "HOAX" at Talladega Superspeedway, Wallace had something to say in response. Though he framed it as a letter "to the next generation and little ones following my foot steps."...
Jul 6, 2020 12:55 PM CDT
Trump: NASCAR's Bubba Wallace Should Apologize
He says noose found in garage was 'just another HOAX'
- After a door pull-down rope tied into a noose was found in the garage of stall of NASCAR driver Bubba Wallace, fellow drivers rallied around the African-American driver , though investigators later determined it had been there for months and Wallace was not the target of a hate crime. On Monday,...
Jul 4, 2020 8:30 AM CDT
NASCAR Champ Jimmie Johnson Tests Positive for COVID
He'll miss first race of Cup career after finding out he has coronavirus
- Jimmie Johnson was all set to race in Sunday's Brickyard 400 in Indianapolis, but he's now pulled out, for good reason: The seven-time NASCAR Cup Series champion has contracted COVID-19. "My first priority is the health and safety of my loved ones and my teammates," the...
NASCAR Releases Image:
'The Noose Was Real'
Jun 25, 2020 1:58 PM CDT
NASCAR Releases Image: 'The Noose Was Real'
But whether it was an attack on Bubba Wallace is uncertain
- Declaring “the noose was real,” NASCAR officials on Thursday released a photo of the rope found in the garage stall of black driver Bubba Wallace that prompted a federal investigation, per the AP . The incident has put racism front and center for the stock car series that two...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.