Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest Halloween stories and other news reports on Newser.com
Stories 21 - 40 |
Buttigiegs' Halloween Post
Brings Both Smiles, Concern
Nov 1, 2021 8:54 AM CDT
Buttigiegs' Halloween Post Brings Both Smiles, Concern
2-month-old Joseph August, who was a traffic cone for Halloween, was in hospital for the holiday
- A Halloween surprise from the Buttigieg family drew both likes and expressions of support after an Instagram post by the transportation secretary's husband. "Happy Halloween from these #twinfrastructure safety advocates!" Chasten Buttigieg wrote , with one of his accompanying pictures showing Pete Buttigieg as he held one of...
Virginia Politician Apologizes
Over Blackface Costume
Nov 1, 2021 8:33 AM CDT
Virginia Politician Apologizes Over Blackface Costume
Warsaw council member Faron Hamblin says his Eddie Murphy costume was a tribute, not an insult
- Halloween has come and gone, but not without another entry in the annals of I'm-sorry-about-my-blackface costume. In this case, the controversy centers around a local Virginia politician. Faron Hamblin, a white member of the town council in Warsaw, posted an image of himself on Facebook dressed as Randy Watson,...
Vague Terror Threat Puts
More Cops in Virginia Malls
Oct 30, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Vague Terror Threat Puts More Cops in Virginia Malls
Police say they'd be increasing presence this weekend anyway
- Halloween weekend is a good time to be careful, anyway, a police chief in Northern Virginia said. But police are planning to be more cautious than usual, doing more patrolling around areas with a lot of people in response to a possible threat, the
reports. Police in several...
Schools Are Banning
Oct 28, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
Schools Are Banning
Upstate NY district cites 'potential violent messages'
- While traditional Halloween costume inspirations like vampires, pirates, and Batman aren't known for their nonviolent tendencies, elementary schools in upstate New York have decided that
costumes are a step too far. At least three schools in the region have banned costumes inspired by the hit South Korean...
CDC Director: 'Enjoy
Oct 25, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
CDC Director: 'Enjoy Your Trick-or-Treating'
'Put on those costumes, stay outside,' Walensky says
- What a difference a year—and a vaccine—makes. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Rochelle Walensky says Americans should enjoy Halloween traditions including trick-or-treating this year, the
reports. Last year, the CDC warned against traditional trick-or-treating and said that while socially distanced outdoor events might be...
Enormous Pumpkin Disqualified
From Winning $20K Prize
Oct 24, 2021 5:14 PM CDT
Enormous Pumpkin Disqualified From Winning $20K Prize
Tiny crack means no cash for would-be winner
- It’s a great pumpkin—the heaviest in the US, even. Its grower, Mike Schmit of Wisconsin, says “it weighs in at about 2,520 pounds,” ABC7 reports. But that great pumpkin will not win any prizes, thanks to a tiny, tiny crack. To win the Safeway World...
10 of the Best Horror Movies
Released in the US Since 2000
Oct 12, 2021 4:57 PM CDT
10 of the Best Horror Movies Released in the US Since 2000
The AV Club ranked recent fright flicks and tells you how to stream them
- You still have time. Start streaming tonight and with some hard work and discipline, you could get through the best horror movies since Jan. 1, 2000, by Halloween. The AV Club has figured out what’s worth watching and where to watch it, so fans of Halloween movies that aren’...
These 2 Gigs Will Pay You
Big Bucks to Get Scared
Sep 10, 2021 10:11 AM CDT
These 2 Gigs Will Pay You Big Bucks to Get Scared
Watch 13 horror movies, pocket $1,300 (if you're selected)
- Done with the beach and ready for fall? A financial advice website is offering a an easy way to transition into the Halloween season, with big bucks for one lucky fan who can hunker down and watch 13 horror flicks in nine days' time, reports UPI . FinanceBuzz will pay $1,...
After 'Most Extreme Anti-Mask
Incident' in Anaheim, 3 Arrests
Dec 22, 2020 7:54 AM CST
After 'Most Extreme Anti-Mask Incident' in Anaheim, 3 Arrests
2 men face life in prison after allegedly shooting up strip club after being asked to wear face coverings
- Authorities tell the
a late October shooting at a strip club in Anaheim, Calif., was "the most extreme anti-mask incident" in the city to date. Now, three suspects have been arrested, and two of them face life in prison if convicted. Prosecutors say that on Halloween night,...
Jamie Lee Curtis
for Fan Moments
Nov 20, 2020 2:40 AM CST
Jamie Lee Curtis Officiates Wedding for Fan Moments Before Death
"Halloween' superfan had cancer, died less than an hour after wedding started
"superfan" with esophageal cancer died less than an hour after Jamie Lee Curtis officiated his wedding on Sept. 13, Deadline reports. Anthony Woodle, 29, got in touch with Rough House Productions, which is reviving the horror franchise, and the company got him in touch with the iconic...
Thousands Party at Lake
to Protest Virus Restrictions
Nov 2, 2020 6:05 PM CST
Thousands Party at Lake to Protest Virus Restrictions
Deputies shut down illegal Halloween event opposed to virus restrictions
- Sheriff's deputies called to help an unconscious woman Saturday night in Utah discovered thousands of people gathered at an unauthorized Halloween party advertised as a protest of pandemic restrictions. The woman had been hurt while crowd surfing at the event on a vacant stretch near Utah Lake, NBC reports....
Guy in Medieval Dress
Kills 2 With Sword
Nov 1, 2020 9:00 AM CST
Guy in Medieval Dress Kills 2 With Sword
5 injured in Quebec attack on Halloween
- A guy armed with a sword and dressed in medieval clothing killed two people and wounded five others in Quebec city on Saturday night in a Halloween night attack that police said had no indication that "the suspect may have acted for motives other than personal ones." A...
Party of 400
Nov 1, 2020 5:35 AM CST
Cops Bust Halloween Party of 400
Brooklyn warehouse party broken up
- Police in New York City have charged nine people with the super-genius idea of throwing a Halloween party with some 400 of their closest friends in a Brooklyn warehouse in the era of COVID-19, reports
. Cops shut down the party, which officials had explicitly warned against, early Halloween...
Are Doing the
Oct 31, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
How Families Are Doing the COVID Halloween
Much has been canceled, but it's still possible to trick-or-treat
- Ghosts, skeletons, princesses, and black cats roamed the streets as usual this Halloween, but they kept their distance, wore face coverings and carried hand sanitizer in their quest for treats, the AP reports. Like with everything else this year, the pandemic also left its mark on Halloween. Parades, parties, and...
in case you missed it
Oct 31, 2020 2:30 PM CDT
10 Best Horror Movies in History
'Stacker' ranks them, and Hitchcock reigns supreme
- If your Halloween plans involve binging classic horror flicks, Stacker has you covered. The site has ranked the 100 best scary movies of all time, with an Alfred Hitchcock entry taking top honors. In
, when Janet Leigh's character checks in at the Bates Motel, "the plot shifts...
To the Ears,
Is Rather Creepy
Oct 30, 2020 7:48 AM CDT
To the Ears, Our Universe Is Rather Creepy
NASA releases playlist perfect for Halloween
- NASA wants to take your Halloween celebration out of this world. The space agency has released a playlist of sinister space sounds, which it describes as "'moans' and 'whistles' from our universe that would scare the most ghoulish of creatures." You can hear the creaks of...
Cops Repeatedly Called to
Gruesome Halloween Display
Oct 28, 2020 2:26 PM CDT
Cops Repeatedly Called to Gruesome Halloween Display
Dallas man used 20 gallons of fake blood
- Steve Novak says that out of all the blood-spattered Halloween decorations outside his Dallas home, he's "most proud of the wheelbarrow tipped over by the street full of Hefty bags, looking like a failed attempt to dispose of the dismembered bodies in the middle of the night."...
a Bonus Treat
Oct 27, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
Halloween Comes With a Bonus Treat This Year
There's a blue moon on the rise
- No matter how you plan to spend Halloween night amid a pandemic, Mother Nature plans to deliver the appropriate setting. For the first time since 1944, a full moon will rise over all US time zones on Saturday, reports
. Halloween only sees a full moon every 19 years,...
Flies Into Student's Car
Oct 21, 2020 5:34 PM CDT
Nightmare Projectile Flies Into Student's Car
Caleb Needham says he 'just started shaking'
- An Indiana student came within inches of serious injury or death Sunday when a pumpkin came flying through his windshield, WXIN reports. "I just started shaking because I guess I was so scared," said Caleb Needham. "I entered like a shocked state. I'm like, 'What...
Airbnb Moves to Block
Oct 5, 2020 5:40 PM CDT
Airbnb Moves to Block Halloween Parties
Company has blocked one-night rentals over Halloween weekend
- This is the first time since 2001 that there has been a full moon on Halloween—and Airbnb is worried about people using its rentals for parties over the weekend. The company says it has canceled all one-night bookings for Friday, Oct. 30, and Saturday, Oct. 31, at "entire...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.