Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ruling on Nurse
Ends 'Ordeal' for
Mar 13, 2019 10:00 AM CDT
Ruling on Nurse Ends 'Ordeal' for Hawking Family
Physicist's former nurse, Patricia Dowdy, banned after several allegations of improper care
- Patricia Dowdy, one of Stephen Hawking's former nurses, has been banned by a UK professional regulator for not providing adequate care to him, per the
. Dowdy, 61, had cared for the theoretical physicist for eight years, but she was suspended in 2016 by the Nursing and Midwifery Council...
Unusual Stephen Hawking
Memorabilia Up for Auction
Oct 22, 2018 4:18 AM CDT
Unusual Stephen Hawking Memorabilia Up for Auction
His wheelchair can be yours
- Stephen Hawking was a cosmic visionary, a figure of inspiration, and a global celebrity. His unique status is reflected in an upcoming auction of some of the late physicist's possessions: It includes complex scientific papers, one of the world's most iconic wheelchairs, and a script from one of...
Stephen Hawking's Last
Warning for Humans Is Dire
in case you missed it
Oct 20, 2018 10:10 AM CDT
Stephen Hawking's Last Warning for Humans Is Dire
Late physicist worried that genetic editing would let the rich live, while the 'unimproved' died out
- A new Stephen Hawking book came out Tuesday, and the late physicist issues a warning in it that sounds straight out of a dystopian sci-fi movie. Hawking worries that genetic editing will allow the rich to turn themselves into "superhumans" who will eventually dominate the world and perhaps the...
Hawking's Resting Place:
Between Darwin, Newton
Jun 15, 2018 2:20 PM CDT
Hawking's Resting Place: Between Darwin, Newton
And his voice was beamed into space
- The ashes of Stephen Hawking were buried Friday in a corner of Westminster Abbey that honors some of Britain's greatest scientists, between the graves of Charles Darwin and Isaac Newton, reports the AP . More than 1,000 people attended a service in the ancient abbey for the physicist, who...
Lottery for Stephen Hawking
Service Has One Odd Detail
May 14, 2018 3:35 AM CDT
Lottery for Stephen Hawking Service Has One Odd Detail
Time travelers are welcome to apply
- No time travelers showed up at the party Stephen Hawking held for them in 2009, but they'll still be welcome when he's laid to rest. In what was apparently a form of invitation, not an error, people entering the lottery to attend the late professor's memorial service...
Hawking's Family Offers
Ticket Lottery for Service
May 9, 2018 12:21 AM CDT
Hawking's Family Offers Ticket Lottery for Service
1K members of the public will get tickets
- The family of the late British physicist Stephen Hawking has opened a lottery for 1,000 tickets for a service of thanksgiving in his honor at Westminster Abbey. Hawking's ashes are to be interred June 15 at the London church between the graves of Isaac Newton and Charles Darwin....
Will Rest Next to
a Scientific Great
Mar 21, 2018 5:53 AM CDT
Hawking's Ashes Will Rest Next to a Scientific Great
His ashes will be kept at London's Westminster Abbey
- Stephen Hawking's final resting place will be among other famous scientists like Sir Isaac Newton and Charles Darwin. Hawking's ashes will be interred at London’s Westminster Abbey, next to Newton's grave, at a Thanksgiving ceremony later this year, the Abbey has revealed . The Dean of Westminster...
Stephen Hawking Submitted
Paper Days Before His Death
Mar 19, 2018 2:33 AM CDT
Stephen Hawking Submitted Paper Days Before His Death
It cites the famous physicist as a co-author and addresses the potential for alternate universes
- Stephen Hawking submitted a final paper in the days before his death that could potentially one day lead to a major breakthrough. The paper, titled "A Smooth Exit from Eternal Inflation," was submitted about 10 days before the death of the world famous physicist, who is listed among...
Hawking Was Explicit About
What He Wanted on Tombstone
Mar 14, 2018 12:21 PM CDT
Hawking Was Explicit About What He Wanted on Tombstone
More on his death, which falls on a notable day
- Today is Pi Day, and in the wake of Stephen Hawking's March 14 death, much ado is being made about what else 3/14 marks. Mashable reports that it also overlaps with the birth of Albert Einstein, who was born on this day in 1879. As for Hawking's own...
How Stephen Hawking
Pushed the Limits in Life
Mar 14, 2018 6:33 AM CDT
How Stephen Hawking Pushed the Limits in Life
NASA says he 'unlocked a universe of possibilities'
- The world is paying tribute to Stephen Hawking, the beloved cosmologist and theoretical physicist who amazed the world both with his brilliant mind and his survival for more than 50 years after being diagnosed with motor neurone disease. Stephen Toope, vice-chancellor of the University of Cambridge says Hawking, who died...
World Mourns One of Its
Greatest Scientific Minds
Mar 14, 2018 1:14 AM CDT
World Mourns One of Its Greatest Scientific Minds
Stephen Hawking is dead at 76
- One of the world's greatest scientific minds has now left this dimension. British cosmologist and physicist Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76, some 55 years after he was diagnosed with motor neurone disease at 21 and given two years to live. Family members say Hawking died...
Stephen Hawking's Doctoral
Thesis Crashes Website
Oct 23, 2017 6:30 PM CDT
Stephen Hawking's Doctoral Thesis Crashes Website
Cambridge University posted the work of its famous alumnus
- Cambridge University has put Stephen Hawking's doctoral thesis online, triggering such interest that it crashed the university's website, the AP reports. Completed in 1966 when Hawking was 24, "Properties of Expanding Universes" explores ideas about the origins of the universe that have resonated through the scientist's...
Hawking: Time for Humanity
to Travel to Mars, Beyond
Jun 21, 2017 1:48 PM CDT
Hawking: Time for Humanity to Travel to Mars, Beyond
'Spreading out may be the only thing that saves us from ourselves'
- Stephen Hawking says humans are turning into "cosmic sloths," watching the universe go by without leaving the comfort of our own home, and it's time to do something about it, the
reports. "Spreading out may be the only thing that saves us from ourselves,...
Hawking: Actually, We Have
100 Years to Escape Earth
May 4, 2017 7:49 AM CDT
Hawking: Actually, We Have 100 Years to Escape Earth
Eric Mack thinks that's a bit silly
- Stephen Hawking is giving humanity a tall order: Colonize Mars in the next century or watch as life on Earth fizzles out. After last year claiming that humans have 1,000 years left on Earth , Hawking says in a new documentary that we instead have about 100 years until we'...
F-Bombs Abound in
Hawking Charity Skit
Mar 28, 2017 7:55 AM CDT
F-Bombs Abound in Hawking Charity Skit
Gordon Ramsey is only partly to blame
- At long last, Stephen Hawking has regained a British accent—sort of. In a Comic Relief skit for charity, Hawking explains he's bored of his computer-generated voice and is reviewing audition tapes from celebrities who might do as well. But he's not at all pleased with the applicants....
Hawking: 'I May
Not Be Welcome'
in US Under Trump
Mar 20, 2017 10:47 AM CDT
Hawking: 'I May Not Be Welcome' in US Under Trump
Acclaimed physicist notes his criticism of president's environmental policy
- Stephen Hawking is afraid he might be persona non grata in America, reports the
due to the Trump administration's views on the environment and British cosmologist's past criticism of those views. In a conversation Monday with ITV's
Good Morning Britain
, Hawking said the US has swung...
Stephen Hawking: Humans
Have 1K Years Left on Earth
Nov 17, 2016 5:29 PM CST
Stephen Hawking: Humans Have 1K Years Left on Earth
Which is why we need to find a new planet to call home.
- Stephen Hawking has a simple message for humanity: Haul your butt to Mars (and beyond). In a speech delivered this week at the Oxford Union, the legendary scientist says humanity can only survive another thousand years or so on Earth thanks to growing threats that include climate change, nuclear war,...
Stephen Hawking: Aliens Could
Be a Danger to the Earth
Nov 6, 2016 3:31 PM CST
Stephen Hawking: Aliens Could Be a Danger to the Earth
Spacefaring aliens "will be vastly more powerful" than our own civilization
- Stephen Hawking believes that mankind might want to just mind its own business, cosmically speaking. Even as he turns his attention to the search for alien life, Hawking says we should think twice before making any efforts to communicate with alien civilizations, ScienceAlert reports. Any civilization advanced enough to contact...
Woman Busted in Plot
to Kill Stephen Hawking
Jul 2, 2016 9:50 AM CDT
Woman Busted in Plot to Kill Stephen Hawking
She had maps and documents detailing her astronomy-festival scheme
- An American woman was arrested Wednesday in Spain for sending dozens of death threats to Stephen Hawking then trailing him to an astronomy festival in the Canary Islands, Gizmodo reports. According to
, the unnamed 37-year-old woman lives in Norway and has no previous criminal record. Authorities were tipped...
I Can't Explain Trump
May 31, 2016 2:23 AM CDT
Stephen Hawking: I Can't Explain Trump
He slams 'demagogue,' calls for Britain to stay in EU
- Stephen Hawking may have a good grasp of the workings of the universe, but he says he can't understand the popularity of Donald Trump. The renowned theoretical physicist tells ITV's
Good Morning Britain
show that he has no explanation for the success of the presumptive GOP presidential nominee....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Warrant: FedEx Driver Panicked After Hitting Girl
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.