Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
12 Richest People
Nov 20, 2023 10:00 AM CST
12 Richest People Cause More Pollution Than 2M Homes
New Oxfam report points the finger at the 1% for more carbon emissions than poorest 2/3 of world
- If you're feeling guilty that you haven't yet bought an EV or installed solar panels on your roof to cut down on your portion of greenhouse gases, you're (somewhat) off the hook—you can blame the 1% for a lot of that pollution. A new Oxfam International...
After 3 Decades,
a Big Move
Nov 3, 2023 6:48 AM CDT
After 3 Decades, a Big Move for Bezos
Amazon founder is pulling up stakes and relocating from Seattle, where he's lived since 1994, to Miami
- Hear "Miami," and thoughts of palm trees, Cuban food, and art deco architecture all come to mind. Now, add Jeff Bezos to that list: The Amazon founder announced this week that he's moving to the South Florida city and ditching Seattle after almost 30 years, reports the...
Feds, States Bring Huge
Monopoly Suit Against Amazon
Sep 26, 2023 11:44 AM CDT
Feds, States Bring Huge Monopoly Suit Against Amazon
FTC, 17 states say Jeff Bezos' company is an illegal operation
- The Federal Trade Commission and 17 state attorneys general filed an antitrust lawsuit against Amazon on Tuesday, alleging the e-commerce behemoth uses its position in the marketplace to inflate prices on other platforms, overcharge sellers, and stifle competition. The lawsuit, filed in US District Court for the Western District of...
Report: Jeff Bezos
Has Popped the Question
May 23, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Report: Jeff Bezos Has Popped the Question
Longtime love Lauren Sanchez spotted with an apparent engagement ring amid media reports
- Last week, the big news on Jeff Bezos was that he was spotted on his new $500 million, 417-foot superyacht, said to be the longest sailing yacht on Earth. This week, even bigger news, at least if you're a romantic: The Amazon founder is said to be engaged to...
Bezos' Blue Origin
to Build Moon Lander
May 20, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
Bezos' Blue Origin Gets $3.4B NASA Contract to Build Moon Lander
2 years after losing out to SpaceX
- Jeff Bezos' rocket company has won a NASA contract to land astronauts on the moon, two years after it lost out to SpaceX, the AP reports. Blue Origin received a $3.4 billion contract Friday to lead a team to develop a lunar lander named Blue Moon. It will be...
Seattle Band, Team Disagree
on Reason for Cancellations
Feb 1, 2023 4:51 PM CST
Seattle Band, Team Disagree on Reason for Cancellations
Musicians say it was the lyrics knocking Bezos, while Kraken blames drinking
- A Seattle band says singing about Jeff Bezos being "a total jerk" ended the group's three-game residency early at the city's NHL arena, for which Amazon owns the naming rights. The Kraken suggested the group's drinking and unprofessional behavior were the problem, the
I Tried and Failed
to Get Jeff Bezos to
Save My Hometown
Dec 6, 2022 3:05 PM CST
I Tried and Failed to Get Jeff Bezos to Save My Hometown
At least entrepreneur Justin Vandehey learned some valuable lessons
- Jeff Bezos will not save the paper mill and—by extension—the local economy in the town of Wisconsin Rapids, but at least he considered the idea thanks to entrepreneur Justin Vandehey. Writing for
, Vandehey explains he has some credibility in the tech startup arena but no experience with...
Bezos' Ex Is
He Is, Too
Nov 14, 2022 11:25 AM CST
Bezos' Ex Is Already Doing This. Now He Is, Too
After much criticism, Amazon founder says he plans on giving away most of his fortune in his lifetime
- If it wasn't clear what Jeff Bezos plans to eventually do with his amassed wealth, he's just offered some clarification. He's going to give away most of his $124 billion before he dies, he tells CNN , which notes this is the first time the Amazon founder has...
Amazon Is First Company to
Lose $1T in Market Value
Nov 10, 2022 6:44 AM CST
Amazon Is First Company to Lose $1T in Market Value
Share price has fallen almost 50% this year
- Just over four years ago, Amazon became the second US company to reach a $1 trillion valuation, weeks after Apple hit the same milestone. The e-commerce giant has now reached a more unwelcome milestone, becoming the first company in the world to
$1 trillion in value, Bloomberg reports. Amazon'...
at Bezos' Home
Nov 4, 2022 3:50 PM CDT
Ex-Housekeeper Calls Working Conditions Unsafe at Bezos' Home
Employees sometimes had to climb out a window to reach a bathroom, lawsuit says
- A former housekeeper for Amazon founder Jeff Bezos says she and other employees suffered unsafe working conditions that included being forced to climb out a laundry room window to get to a bathroom anytime the Bezos family was home. In a lawsuit filed in King County Superior Court in Seattle...
Jeff Bezos Considers Bid
for NFL Team, With Jay-Z
Nov 3, 2022 7:10 PM CDT
Jeff Bezos Considers Bid for NFL Team, With Jay-Z
Snyder, facing several investigations, is under pressure to sell Washington Commanders
- Jeff Bezos doesn't own an NFL team, but that could change. One day after the current owner of the Washington Commanders retained Bank of America to look into a sale, Bezos is preparing a bid for the team with Jay-Z, the
reports. The Amazon founder reportedly is...
Oct 28, 2022 2:22 AM CDT
Jeff Bezos Could Lose $23B Today
If Amazon stock plunge carries into Friday's trading
- Amazon is the latest tech giant to report disappointing third-quarter earnings , with its Q3 results missing revenue estimates, per CNBC . The sales forecast for Q4 also fell short of analysts' expectations. After the report, Amazon stock plunged as much as 21% in after-hours trading after market close Thursday, Bloomberg reports....
Gives $710M to
Oct 13, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
Bezos Family Gives $710M to Cancer Center
Seattle research center hopes to use donation to speed up trials
- The Seattle-based Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center has announced a $710 million gift from the Bezos family, the largest gift the center has ever received and one of the largest to go to any single cancer research organization in recent years. The donation will fund 36 new research labs, the building...
This Man Pushed Bezos Down
One Spot in Richest Rankings
Sep 18, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
This Man Pushed Bezos Down One Spot in Richest Rankings
Bloomberg ranks Gautam Adani as world's 2nd richest
And then he was second. NPR reports that Gautam Adani of India has grabbed the No. 2 slot on the world's richest list from Jeff Bezos. It cites Bloomberg's Billionaires Index, which this week listed both Adani and Bezos as having a net worth of $147 billion;...
Sep 12, 2022 11:17 AM CDT
Jeff Bezos Has First Rocket Failure
Nobody was aboard the Blue Origin flight
- Jeff Bezos’ rocket company suffered its first launch failure Monday, per the AP . No one was aboard, only science experiments. The Blue Origin rocket veered off course over West Texas about a minute after liftoff. The capsule’s launch abort system immediately kicked in, lifting the craft off the top....
Avoids an Egging
Aug 3, 2022 12:56 PM CDT
Bezos' Superyacht Avoids an Egging
Y721 moved before masts are added, meaning historic Dutch bridge remains in place
- Dutch citizens have lost their reason for wishing to pelt Jeff Bezos and his superyacht with eggs . Though it was initially expected that a massive bridge in the city of Rotterdam would need to be dismantled to allow the billionaire's $500 million superyacht to reach the sea, the 417-foot...
'Eat the Rich' With Popsicles
Shaped Like Musk, Bezos
Jul 13, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
'Eat the Rich' With Popsicles Shaped Like Musk, Bezos
MSCHF artists collective has ice cream trucks in NYC, LA with the billionaire-shaped treats
- If you're in New York City or Los Angeles on Wednesday and want to work out your angst against capitalism, there's a frozen treat waiting for you, modeled after the world's richest men. Just stop by what's being deemed a "unique art pop-up" by CBS...
Amazon's Staff Turnover Rate
May No Longer Be Sustainable
Jun 22, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Amazon's Staff Turnover Rate May No Longer Be Sustainable
Internal memo reveals fears of exhausting available US labor pool by 2024
- With its sky-high staff turnover rate, Amazon fears it could run out of US workers by 2024, an anxiety that could force higher wages or increased automation. That's according to leaked internal research from mid-2021 as seen by Recode . "If we continue business as usual, Amazon will deplete...
UN Food Chief to Musk:
'We Need Your Help, Brother'
May 23, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
UN Food Chief to Musk: 'We Need Your Help, Brother'
David Beasley wants billionaires to step up, saying the situation is serious
- The head of the United Nations' World Food Program is telling billionaires it's "time to step up" as the global threat of food insecurity rises with Russia's war in Ukraine. Executive Director David Beasley said he's seen encouraging signs from some of the world's richest...
2 Tweets From Bezos on Biden,
With One Theme: 'Misdirection'
May 16, 2022 8:08 AM CDT
2 Tweets From Bezos on Biden, With One Theme: 'Misdirection'
Amazon founder goes after president on Twitter about inflation
- President Biden is well aware of the nation's current woes around inflation , and he recently pledged to make it his top domestic priority. But his thoughts on how to do so have rankled one of the world's richest men, and that man took to Twitter to tell the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Here's Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year for 2023
Serial Killer's Wife Goes on Trial for Decades-Old Murders
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.