Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In Battle for House, Democrats
Keep Chipping Away
Nov 11, 2022 4:45 PM CST
In Battle for House, Democrats Keep Chipping Away
More seats in the West slip away from Republicans, though GOP is still favored
- Republicans were in good shape Friday afternoon in their attempt to take control of the House once all votes are counted, but it's not a lock. Democrats are winning more races and gaining ground in others, a couple of analyses of the election show. Politico and the
Exit Stage Right:
Tulsi Gabbard Leaves
Oct 11, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
Exit Stage Right: Tulsi Gabbard Leaves Democratic Party
Former presidential candidate and congresswoman delivers blistering critique
- Tulsi Gabbard is leaving the Democratic Party once and for all. Per ABC News, the former House rep from Hawaii and presidential candidate made her announcement via Twitter . “I can no longer remain in today's Democratic Party that's under the complete control of an elitist cabal of...
Biden Trots Out
New Term for MAGA, GOP
Aug 25, 2022 7:35 PM CDT
Biden Trots Out New Term for MAGA, GOP
President describes philosophy as 'semi-fascism'
- Aiming to turn months of legislative accomplishments into political energy, President Biden sought Thursday to underscore the choice facing voters in the midterm elections, comparing Republican ideology to "semi-fascism," as he led a kickoff rally and a fundraiser in Maryland. "You need to vote to literally save...
A State Lawmaker
Defects From GOP
Aug 23, 2022 11:32 AM CDT
A State Lawmaker Defects From GOP
Colorado's Kevin Priola cites GOP positions on climate change, claims of a stolen election
- On Sunday, Democrats held a 20-15 edge in the Colorado state Senate. On Monday, their advantage rose to 21-14, but not because of a special election. Instead, longtime Republican Kevin Priola switched parties to become a Democrat, reports the
. In a public letter , he cited two main reasons:...
Democrats Help Election Denier
Beat Meijer, Then Hear About It
Aug 3, 2022 7:35 PM CDT
Democrats Help Election Denier Beat Meijer, Then Hear About It
Kinzinger points out party asks where the Republicans defending democracy are
- Voters in western Michigan have made their decision, but GOP Rep. Adam Kinzinger said the Democratic Party owns it. Rep. Peter Meijer, who voted to impeach then-President Donald Trump after the attack on the Capitol, will be leaving Congress after losing his GOP primary Tuesday to a challenger who says...
Poll Shows Republicans
With an Edge Before Midterms
Apr 30, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
Poll Shows Republicans With an Edge Before Midterms
Respondents trust GOP to handle inflation over Democrats by 21 points
- For the first time since 2014, voters say they're more likely to vote Republican in the congressional midterm elections, a new poll shows. That snapshot has been meaningful in the past: GOP candidates led by 5 percentage points before the vote eight years ago and went on to win...
GOP Pulls Out of Future Debates
Apr 14, 2022 7:08 PM CDT
GOP Pulls Out of Future Debates
Party wants changes in presidential campaign events after Trump complained
- The Republican National Committee had been warning for months about no longer participating in the presidential debates organized by the commission that's held them since 1988. Spurred on by former President Donald Trump, Republicans have picked up their criticism of the Commission on Presidential Debates as biased toward Democrats,...
to Dems After
San Fran Vote
Feb 22, 2022 9:30 AM CST
Bloomberg Issues 'Dire Warning' to Dems After San Fran Vote
Ex-NYC mayor says midterms will be a 'wipeout' for Democrats unless they shift to more moderate path
- Three liberal members of San Francisco's city school board were booted last week, and while some say not to read too much into one local vote, others are concerned that the special election could be a "bellwether" of sorts for nationwide politics. In that latter camp is Michael...
Nov 27, 2021 4:40 PM CST
Democrats Prevent Biden's Plan From Working
Divisions have presidency nearing failure, Jonathan Chait writes
- Joe Biden came into office with a plan. The president would concentrate on practical issues to win back the working-class voters who had supported Donald Trump. He'd avoid getting caught up in the causes of the Democrats' progressive wing. Polls provided the evidence that child care, community college, expanding...
Says What a Lot
Oct 26, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
Joe Manchin Says What a Lot of Democrats Are Thinking
'I don't know where in the hell I belong'
- Joe Manchin might as well have "Democratic holdout" made part of his official title, and the West Virginia senator acknowledged his outlier status in two different forums:
"I'm totally out of sync with 48 other Democrats," Manchin told reporters at a dinner Monday night, per the
Democrats Talk About
Dethroning Iowa Caucuses
Oct 9, 2021 3:00 PM CDT
Democrats Talk About Dethroning Iowa Caucuses
Problems in the last presidential race add to arguments about diversity, process
- The handling of the last Iowa Democratic caucuses mostly just pleased Republicans. On top of several other reasons why the exercise isn't a great way to deliver the first campaign victory to a presidential candidate, technical problems derailed the counting of results in February 2020. It's enough to...
Biden Team Fears
in case you missed it
Oct 2, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Biden Team Fears Damage From Virginia Loss
McAuliffe leads Youngkin, but Democrats worry about complacency
- Worried about the implications for President Biden's agenda and the party, Democratic officials are going all in on Terry McAuliffe's candidacy for governor of Virginia. Biden's team and national party leaders are planning to become more involved in the campaign, Politico reports. With five weeks of campaigning...
Biden Will Try to Break
Oct 1, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Biden Will Try to Break Logjam Himself
And Bernie Sanders is ticked at two fellow Democratic senators who remain holdouts
- The shutdown has been averted , at least temporarily. Now the focus is solely on whether Democrats can reach a compromise on legislation crucial to President Biden's agenda. Toward that end, Biden himself will travel to Capitol Hill to meet with House Democrats later Friday afternoon, reports the Hill and...
We Got It Wrong Again
Apr 13, 2021 9:44 AM CDT
Democratic Pollsters: We Got It Wrong Again
5 firms admit 'major errors' in predicting 2020 outcome, have no definitive solution
- Five of the Democratic Party's six biggest polling firms are admitting "major errors" in their 2020 polling data, with "no consensus on a solution." A Tuesday letter signed by ALG Research, Garin-Hart-Yang Research Group, GBAO Strategies, Global Strategy Group, and Normington Petts describes a months-long effort...
Aren't the Problem
Nov 8, 2020 9:33 AM CST
Ocasio-Cortez: Progressives Aren't the Problem
With races over, lawmaker lists Democratic Party's shortcomings
- US Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has provided her post-election assessment of the state of the Democratic Party, and it includes a few complaints. The New York lawmaker finds the shortcoming in the party's online operation, for instance, to be competence. Any internal criticism was postponed while Democrats united behind the...
Dems Are Dealt a Blow
Over Absentee Ballots
Sep 27, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
Dems Are Dealt a Blow Over Absentee Ballots
An appeals court halts extension for absentee ballots in Wisconsin
- A federal appeals court on Sunday temporarily halted a six-day extension for counting absentee ballots in Wisconsin's presidential election, a momentary victory for Republicans and President Trump in the key presidential battleground state, the AP reports. As it stands, ballots will now be due by 8pm on Election Day....
Ballot Requests Show
Democrats Way Ahead
Sep 11, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Ballot Requests Show Democrats Way Ahead
Republicans trail by plenty in early figures from battleground states
- No one knows how President Trump or former Vice President Joe Biden will do in the battleground states in November. But we know which party has more voters asking for absentee ballots so far, and it's not close. Democrats lead Republicans 3-to-1 or so in absentee ballot requests from...
Julia Louis-Dreyfus Will
MC Last Night of DNC
Aug 17, 2020 4:03 PM CDT
Julia Louis-Dreyfus Will MC Last Night of DNC
3 more GOP speakers announced
- The Democratic National Convention is kicking off Monday evening —and there will be star power, despite the fact that the proceedings will be mostly virtual, the
New York Times
reports. Organizers announced Monday that MCs over the four nights will be actresses Eva Longoria, Tracee Ellis Ross, Kerry Washington...
Arrest Made After Fire at
Arizona Democratic HQ
Jul 30, 2020 4:27 AM CDT
Arrest Made After Fire at Arizona Democratic HQ
Former volunteer Matthew Egler accused of arson
- Authorities on Wednesday announced an arrest in an arson fire that destroyed much of the Arizona and Maricopa County Democratic Party headquarters. Phoenix police said 29-year-old Matthew Egler was booked on one count of arson of an occupied structure. No information about a possible motive was disclosed and it was...
Bloomberg Drops Plans to Pay
Workers, Launch Super PAC
Mar 20, 2020 3:34 PM CDT
Bloomberg Drops Plans to Pay Workers, Launch Super PAC
Former Democratic candidate donates to party instead
- There will be no new Super PAC funded by Michael Bloomberg to help the Democratic nominee and no more pay for his campaign workers after all. The former candidate will write a $18 million check to the Democratic National Committee instead, the
New York Times
reports. When Bloomberg entered the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.