Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
State Department Site Briefly
Said Trump's Term Ended
Jan 12, 2021 12:08 AM CST
State Department Site Briefly Said Trump's Term Ended
It was the work of a disgruntled employee, sources say
- Biography pages for President Trump and VP Mike Pence on the State Department website briefly stated on Monday that their terms ended that day. BuzzFeed and PBS have screenshots. According to two currently-serving diplomats, it was a disgruntled employee who put up the fake message. The pages have since been...
US Shutters 2 Remaining
Consulates in Russia
Dec 19, 2020 7:30 AM CST
US Shutters 2 Remaining Consulates in Russia
US Embassy in Moscow will now be the only American diplomatic outpost in Russia
- Just days after news broke of a huge monthslong hack against American government agencies and Fortune 500 companies, a breach suspected to have been carried out by Russia, the United States is shuttering its last two consulates there. The US Consulate in Vladivostok will see its doors closed for good,...
Goes to State Dept.'s
Indoor Holiday Party
Dec 16, 2020 10:35 AM CST
Barely Anyone Goes to State Dept.'s Indoor Holiday Party
More than 900 were reportedly invited
- Perhaps America's appetite for attending indoor parties during a pandemic is waning? The
reports an annual State Department holiday party that was to be hosted by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and his wife had anemic turnout on Tuesday. Of the 900-plus guests invited, about 70 RSVP'...
Dec 11, 2020 4:35 PM CST
Watchdog Mostly Clears Travel by Susan Pompeo
Six of the eight trips weren't properly approved, report says
- An independent probe into the travel of Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's wife has concluded that the trips with her husband on official business did not violate federal ethics rules. But, in a report released Thursday, the department's acting inspector general, Matthew Klimow, also determined that the State...
Report Finds Culprit
Dec 6, 2020 5:44 AM CST
Report Finds Culprit Behind Mystery US Diplomat Illnesses
'Directed' microwave energy apparently sickened envoys in Havana and China
- A new report by a National Academy of Sciences committee has found that “directed” microwave radiation is the likely cause of illness among American diplomats in Cuba and China. The study commissioned by the State Department and released Saturday is the latest attempt to find a cause for the...
China Threatens US Over
Diplomat's Taiwan Visit
Sep 17, 2020 12:02 AM CDT
China Threatens US Over Diplomat's Taiwan Visit
Krach is highest-level State Department official to visit island in decades
- A senior US State Department official is arriving in Taiwan on Thursday for a three-day visit, prompting a threat of possible retaliation from China. US Undersecretary of State Keith Krach is to meet Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen and other senior officials, the island's foreign ministry said Thursday. Krach, who...
Lebanon's Leaders Received
Dire Warning 3 Weeks Ago
Aug 11, 2020 9:52 AM CDT
Lebanon's Leaders Received Dire Warning 3 Weeks Ago
Report, letter warned Beirut could be leveled if chemicals weren't secured
- Security officials warned Lebanon's president and prime minister that the 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate stored in Beirut's port could explode, destroying the city, just two weeks before that more or less happened. That's according to Reuters , which got its hands on a state security report...
New Watchdog Quits
Aug 5, 2020 2:41 PM CDT
State Department's New Watchdog Quits
Stephen Akard's departure follows predecessor's abrupt firing
- The State Department’s acting inspector general resigned abruptly on Wednesday following the firing of his predecessor in circumstances now being investigated by Congress. Stephen Akard announced his resignation just two days after Democrats issued subpoenas for several of Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's top aides to answer questions...
Iran: We Have
of Group Based
Aug 1, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Iran: We Have Detained Leader of Group Based in California
Jamshid Sharmahd is accused of planning attacks
- Iran on Saturday said it detained an Iranian-American leader of a little-known California-based militant opposition group for allegedly planning a 2008 attack on a mosque that killed 14 people and wounded over 200 others, the AP reports. Iran's Intelligence Ministry also alleged Jamshid Sharmahd of the Kingdom Assembly of...
'Outrageous': US Boots
China From Consulate
Jul 22, 2020 7:02 AM CDT
'Outrageous': US Boots China From Consulate
Officials seen burning documents on Tuesday
- The US has ordered China to close its consulate in Houston in "one of the biggest blows to diplomatic ties between the two countries in decades," reports Bloomberg . Firefighters responded to reports of smoke at the consulate late Tuesday as footage showed officials burning documents in barrels in...
Sanctions on Huawei
Jul 15, 2020 1:10 PM CDT
Pompeo Announces Sanctions on Huawei
Certain employees of Chinese tech companies to face visa restrictions
- The State Department accused the world's largest telecommunications equipment manufacturer of human right abuses Wednesday, saying it would impose visa restrictions on employees of China's Huawei. The announcement came a week after the State Department accused China of human rights abuses and a day after the UK said...
Dozens of US Diplomats Fell Ill.
Then, an 'Extraordinary Step'
Jul 2, 2020 9:20 AM CDT
Dozens of US Diplomats Fell Ill. Then, an 'Extraordinary Step'
Officials at embassy in Riyadh contacted Congress when State Department failed to respond: 'NYT'
- Diplomats in the midst of a coronavirus outbreak inside the US Embassy in Saudi Arabia went outside official channels to reach out to Congress last month, fearing their health was in jeopardy. Dozens had fallen ill following a birthday barbecue, and a Sudanese driver for the diplomats had died, the...
Book, Gets Muted
Jun 23, 2020 2:10 AM CDT
Reporter Asks About Bolton's Book, Gets Muted
During a phone briefing on ... press freedom
- "AT&T, we can mute that line." That was the bulk of the response from State Department spokesperson Morgan Ortagus on Monday when, during a phone briefing on Chinese propaganda, a reporter tried to ask about John Bolton's new book. The Reuters journalist was asking if any...
Into Pompeo Dinners
May 20, 2020 9:50 AM CDT
Report: Congressional Committees Looking Into Pompeo Dinners
NBC: Taxpayer-funded 'Madison Dinners' hosted by Pompeo are now under scrutiny
- The State Department inspector general who was abruptly fired on Friday may have been aware of fancy dinners hosted by Mike Pompeo and his wife on the taxpayer's dime. That’s according to NBC News , which reports Steve Linick last week made "some type of inquiry" to the...
Democrats See 'Troubling'
Saudi Link in Watchdog's Firing
May 18, 2020 3:59 PM CDT
Democrats See 'Troubling' Saudi Link in Watchdog's Firing
Steve Linick was investigating decision to allow arms sales
- State Department Inspector General Steve Linick was looking into a lot more than dog-walking and errand-running when he was abruptly fired on Friday, House Democrats say. Lawmakers have confirmed that the watchdog's other investigations included a probe of President Trump and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's decision last...
Pompeo Controversy Involves
Dog Walking, Dry Cleaning
May 18, 2020 6:43 AM CDT
Pompeo Controversy Involves Dog Walking, Dry Cleaning
Watchdog was investigating whether secretary of state had aide running errands, say reports
- New details are emerging about the controversial firing of a government watchdog, and they are not the stuff of high-stakes political intrigue. Instead, they are the stuff of mundane personal errands, such as dog-walking, picking up dry cleaning, and making dinner reservations. The watchdog who got fired was investigating whether...
May 17, 2020 7:53 AM CDT
Democrats Launch Inquiry Into Latest Trump Firing
President fired State Department inspector general, reportedly at Pompeo's urging
- Late Friday, President Trump fired the State Department's inspector general . By Saturday, the
New York Times
reports, Democrats in the House and Senate had started an investigation into Steve Linick's dismissal. In a letter informing House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Trump wrote only that he'd lost confidence in...
For 3rd Time
in 2 Months, Trump
May 16, 2020 7:30 AM CDT
For 3rd Time in 2 Months, Trump Fires Government Watchdog
Steve Linick, State Department's inspector general, was said to have been investigating Mike Pompeo
- President Trump has fired the State Department's inspector general, and Democrats say the timing of the watchdog's removal is suspect. Per the
Wall Street Journal
, Trump penned a congressional letter indicating he was taking Steve Linick out of his role in 30 days because he'd lost confidence...
Looking to Get
a New Passport?
It for Now
Apr 4, 2020 7:30 AM CDT
Looking to Get a New Passport? Forget About It for Now
Unless you have 'life-or-death emergency' or are renewing, State Dept. says passports are on hold
- The State Department wasn't kidding when it put out its "level four" travel advisory last month urging Americans not to go abroad amid the coronavirus pandemic. CNN reports that on Friday, the department put up a "passport operations" update on its website , and the upshot of that...
Can't Get Home
Mar 28, 2020 11:00 AM CDT
Roughly 33K Americans Still Can't Get Home
A traveler in Peru says his case 'was comical at first, I was laughing'
- Some 33,000 Americans are still struggling to get back home amid the growing coronavirus pandemic, NBC News reports. Some 15,440 have already returned, but so many are stuck abroad that some are just planning to stay until the pandemic is over. "In some places, people have decided...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.