Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Site Where World's
First A-Bomb Went Off
Is About to Get Busy
Oct 21, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Site Where World's First A-Bomb Went Off Is About to Get Busy
Officials prep for record turnout at New Mexico test site, open twice a year, thanks to 'Oppenheimer'
- Thousands of visitors are expected to descend Saturday on the southern New Mexico site where the world's first atomic bomb was detonated, with officials preparing for a record turnout amid ongoing fanfare surrounding Christopher Nolan's blockbuster film
. Trinity Site, a designated National Historic Landmark, is usually closed...
2 Guilty of Terror Charges
Linked to Boy's Disappearance
Oct 17, 2023 4:27 PM CDT
2 Guilty of Terror Charges Linked to Boy's Disappearance
3-year-old was found dead at New Mexico compound
- Jurors on Tuesday delivered split verdicts in a case that stemmed from the search for a 3-year-old boy who went missing from Georgia and was found dead hundreds of miles away at a squalid compound in northern New Mexico. Four members of the family were on trial. Three were found...
of First Americans
Oct 6, 2023 11:19 AM CDT
These Footprints Challenge Theory of First Americans
Further dating suggests human footprints in New Mexico are at least 20K years old
- Skeptics will have a harder time doubting the existence of humans in North America more than 20,000 years ago following an expanded look at footprints left by a group along the shores of an Ice Age lake in what is now New Mexico. A 2021 study dating seeds embedded...
This Is the Most
Diverse State in America
Sep 24, 2023 12:15 PM CDT
This Is the Most Diverse State in America
California ranks No. 1 on WalletHub's list; West Virginia is in last place
- If you're looking to set down roots in a true melting pot—in a place that WalletHub notes features "a complex tapestry of backgrounds"—there are some places in America that thrive when it comes to diversity. The site wanted to determine "where idea and identity...
Police Chief Balks
Sep 9, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Albuquerque Police Chief Balks at Governor's Emergency Order
After shootings, New Mexico's Michelle Lujan Grisham suspends open, concealed carry in city
- New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham on Friday issued an emergency order suspending the right to carry firearms in public across Albuquerque and the surrounding county for at least 30 days after a spate of gun violence. The Democratic governor said she expects legal challenges but was compelled to act...
Give a High-Five to Our
Aug 28, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Give a High-Five to Our Hardest-Working State
North Dakota comes in at No. 1 on WalletHub's rankings, while New Mexico brings up the rear
- Compared to workers in other countries, Americans are known for balking at taking too much vacation time, either because their employer doesn't offer that many paid days off or because workers feel they can't miss too many days without negative repercussions. The positive side of that coin is...
Huge New Mexico Wildfire Was
Sparked by ... Forest Service
Jul 25, 2023 1:32 PM CDT
Huge New Mexico Wildfire Was Sparked by ... Forest Service
Prescribed burns got out of control; latest report was a wildfire that almost burned Los Alamos
- Sometimes it takes fire to fight fire, and sometimes it takes fire to make fire. The US Forest Service, in service of the former instead achieved the latter, and may as well have stayed home and left New Mexico alone last year. As the
Santa Fe New Mexican
Jul 11, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
A Renewed Investigation of Celeb-Praised 'Vampire Facial'
New Mexico DOH says platelet-rich plasma facials have been tied to HIV cases at closed spa
- Albuquerque's VIP Beauty Salon and Spa has been shuttered for nearly five years, but it keeps making headlines—this time, for yet another HIV case linked to its infamous "vampire facial." Per
, the New Mexico Department of Health is urging past clients who may have...
Weather Is Coming
Jul 11, 2023 7:54 AM CDT
More Dangerous Weather Is Coming
Flash floods could continue in northeast, while South, West brace for extreme heat
- A storm that brought deadly flooding to parts of New York state on Sunday devastated Vermont on Monday, washing out roads and forcing people from their homes. More than 50 people were rescued from flood waters after some locations saw more than six inches of rain, or more than the...
Movie Theater Seat
Ends With Man Dead
Jun 27, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Dispute Over Movie Theater Seat Ends With Man Dead
Suspect, 19, arrested after New Mexico incident
- An argument over seating at an Albuquerque movie theater escalated into a shooting that left a man dead and sent frightened filmgoers scrambling to flee, police said Monday. Detectives with the Albuquerque Police Department filed charges Monday in Metropolitan Court against 19-year-old Enrique Padilla in connection with the Sunday evening...
'I Don't Want to
Live Life Anymore
May 31, 2023 11:43 AM CDT
'I Don't Want to Live Life Anymore Without Confessing'
Tony Peralta told police he couldn't live with the guilt of killing landlord 15 years ago
- Police officers found Tony Peralta earlier this month sitting on a curb not far from the convenience store in a small southeastern New Mexico community where he borrowed a cellphone—so he could call 911 and confess to killing his landlord 15 years earlier. Sweating and taking puffs from his...
Rival Biker Gangs Kills 3
May 29, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Shootout Between Rival Biker Gangs Kills 3
3 bikers arrested in violence at annual biker rally in Red River, New Mexico
- A New Mexico motorcycle rally turned violent Saturday when rival outlaw biker gangs got into a shootout that left three men dead and five others injured in the resort town of Red River. Police say the Bandidos and the Water Dogs were the gangs involved and that two members of...
Cops Say New Mexico
Mass Shooter Had a Note
May 18, 2023 4:20 PM CDT
Cops Say New Mexico Mass Shooter Had a Note
Shooter identified as teen who would have graduated high school the next day
- The man who was killed in a shootout with police after he fatally shot three people in Farmington, New Mexico Monday has been identified as Beau Wilson, an 18-year-old high school senior who was due to graduate the next day. Police say the gunman fired on cars and homes apparently...
Cops: New Mexico
18, Used 3 Guns
May 16, 2023 7:51 AM CDT
Cops: New Mexico Gunman Was 18, Used 3 Guns in Shooting
Farmington attack was 'purely random,' police chief says of shooting that killed 3, injured 6
- Police fatally shot the suspect in Monday's mass shooting in Farmington , New Mexico, which left three others dead and six injured, including two police officers. Now, more details are trickling out about the gunman, who cops say was 18 years old and used at least three firearms to carry...
3 Dead, 2 Officers Injured
in New Mexico Mass Shooting
May 15, 2023 3:22 PM CDT
3 Dead, 2 Officers Injured in New Mexico Mass Shooting
Suspect also dead in Farmington shooting
- Police in Farmington, New Mexico, say at least three civilians were killed and two police officers injured in a mass shooting Monday. The Farmington Police Department says the suspect was killed at the scene, the
reports. Police said both injured officers, one from the Farmington police and one...
Centuries-Old Dialect Unique
to America Is Dying Out
Apr 16, 2023 11:10 AM CDT
Centuries-Old Dialect Unique to America Is Dying Out
'New York Times' explains the long history of New Mexico Spanish
- Somewhere around 400 years ago, a distinct language dialect emerged among the settlers of what is now northern Mexico. This "New Mexico Spanish," as it is now known, exists to this day—and nowhere else on earth, writes Simon Romero in the
New York Times
. The dialect remained...
Police at Wrong Front Door
Fatally Shoot Homeowner
Apr 8, 2023 3:30 PM CDT
Police at Wrong Front Door Fatally Shoot Homeowner
Confused exchange of gunfire follows, with woman shooting at officers
- Police in New Mexico responding to a domestic disturbance call went to the wrong address late Wednesday night, leading to a chaotic shootout in which the homeowner was killed. Farmington's police chief said that after no one answered the door, officers had dispatchers call whoever made the report and...
This Is the Most Stressed
State in America
Mar 28, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
This Is the Most Stressed State in America
Mississippi needs to meditate, per WalletHub, while Minnesota seems to be handling its tension just fine
- Need to squeeze one of those stress balls more than you used to? It could have something to do with where you live. WalletHub looked at all 50 states to see which ones were the most afflicted by anxiety and tension, examining more than three dozen metrics across four main...
New Mexico Needs
'Professional Bear Huggers'
Mar 22, 2023 5:39 PM CDT
New Mexico Needs 'Professional Bear Huggers'
Ads for conservation officers also call for 'professional deer protectors'
- The New Mexico Department of Game and Fish is now hiring "professional bear huggers" and "professional deer protectors"—also known as conservation officers. "Must have ability to hike in strenuous conditions, have the courage to crawl into a bear den, and have the trust in your...
Plan to Shoot at
Feral Cows From
Helicopters Carried Out
Mar 1, 2023 1:30 AM CST
Plan to Shoot at Feral Cows From Helicopters Carried Out
Controversial plan kills 19 wild cows in New Mexico
- A specialized team of wildlife managers has killed 19 wild cows in the Gila Wilderness in southwestern New Mexico as part of a contested project to rid the area of the unauthorized animals . The three-day operation used a helicopter and high powered rifles to take out the cows in a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.