Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Party City's Woes
Come to a Head
Jan 18, 2023 1:11 PM CST
Party City's Woes Come to a Head
Company files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
- America's biggest party goods store has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection after struggling with rising prices and a pullback in customer spending. Party City, based in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey, is planning an expedited restructuring that it said would substantially lower its debt and free up cash, reports...
Gap Resort to
'Pack and Hold'
Aug 31, 2022 9:55 AM CDT
Teeming With Inventory, Kohl's, Gap Resort to 'Pack and Hold'
Clothing retailers are tapping into unusual strategies amid an inventory glut
- As summer tilts toward autumn, major clothing retailers have found themselves with a massive glut of inventory, forcing many chains to make tough choices. Per CNN, discounts and promotions are the usual strategies for clearing excess goods, but that's not good enough for Kohl's and the Gap. Both...
Kohl's Says It's
From Being a
in case you missed it
Mar 13, 2022 12:35 PM CDT
Kohl's Says It's 'Evolving Away' From Being a Department Store
'Make no mistake, this is a transformation'
- In a trend that started long before the pandemic, department stores are in decline—but Kohl's doesn't want you to think of it as a department store. The chain is working on overhauling its brand with moves including the opening of around 100 stores less than half the...
Amazon Is Closing
68 Brick-and-Mortar Stores
Mar 3, 2022 3:39 AM CST
Amazon Is Closing 68 Brick-and-Mortar Stores
Company is ditching bookstores, 4-star stores
- Amazon is closing all of its brick-and-mortar bookstores, as well as its 4-star shops and pop up locations, as the online retail behemoth reworks its physical footprint. The Seattle-based company said Wednesday that the move, which affects 66 stores in the US and two in the United Kingdom, will enable...
Some New Hires at Target
to Get Paid a Lot More
Feb 28, 2022 1:27 PM CST
Some New Hires at Target to Get Paid a Lot More
Company plans to raise starting wage to $24 where competition for workers is fiercest
- Target's current starting wage is $15 per hour, more than double the federal minimum wage—and in some areas, it's going to go a lot higher. The company said Monday that it plans to spend an extra $300 million this year to attract and retain workers with moves...
Again, and It's High Tech
Jan 20, 2022 11:42 AM CST
Amazon Goes Brick-and-Mortar Again, and It's High Tech
Doors will open at the Amazon Style apparel store in Glendale, Calif., later this year
- Amazon is the nation's No. 1 apparel retailer , but it has apparently decided that online sales aren't enough. CNBC reports the e-commerce giant will be opening a clothing store (as in one you can actually walk into) in a Los Angeles suburb later this year. Amazon Style will...
Target Makes a Permanent
Move on Thanksgiving
Nov 22, 2021 10:20 AM CST
Target Makes a Permanent Move on Thanksgiving
All stores will be closed on the holiday, this year and going forward
- Target is bailing from one aspect of the holiday shopping rush: Its stores will be closed on Thanksgiving—not just this year, but on all Thanksgivings going forward, reports MarketWatch . The shift can be chalked up to the pandemic: The chain chose to close last Thanksgiving, and it also spread...
Forced It to Close
Oct 14, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Walgreens Says Shoplifting Has Forced It to Close SF Stores
5 more outlets in city will close next month
- Walgreens says it's closing five more of its stores in San Francisco because of "organized retail crime," bringing the number of closures in recent years to 22—almost a third of its stores in the city. The chain says its San Francisco stores have been targeted by...
Black Friday Crowds Will
Be Much Smaller This Year
Nov 27, 2020 4:50 AM CST
Black Friday Crowds Will Be Much Smaller This Year
But it's still a beacon of hope for struggling stores
- After months of slumping sales and businesses toppling into bankruptcy, Black Friday is offering a small beacon of hope. In normal times, Black Friday is the busiest shopping day of the year, drawing millions of shoppers eager to get started on their holiday spending. But these are not normal times:...
'Exhausted' Retailers See Some
Record-Setting Good News
Jun 16, 2020 8:37 AM CDT
'Exhausted' Retailers See Some Record-Setting Good News
US retail sales jumped 17.7% from April to May, but retailers aren't out of the woods yet
- US retail sales jumped by a record 17.7% from April to May, with spending partially rebounding after the coronavirus had shut down businesses, flattened the economy, and paralyzed consumers during the previous two months. The Commerce Department's report Tuesday showed retail sales have retraced some of the record-setting...
Starbucks Makes Big Move
Toward a New 'Vision'
Jun 11, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
Starbucks Makes Big Move Toward a New 'Vision'
Company to close 400 stores to focus on takeout-only locations
- Starbucks is shifting away from its famous cafe experience in a change only partly inspired by the coronavirus pandemic. The coffee company tells CNN that it was reevaluating its coffee-selling model before the pandemic, as about 80% of transactions at its 15,000 US stores are "on-the-go" purchases. As...
Retail Workers Face
'Abuse and Violence'
Jun 7, 2020 1:05 PM CDT
Retail Workers Face 'Abuse and Violence'
Samantha Clarke was sucker-punched in Modesto, Calif.
- For weeks Samantha Clarke calmly listened to the insults and threats directed daily at her and her employees by people who learned they couldn't enter the Modesto, California, store without wearing a mask and following other coronavirus-related rules. But never, says the 17-year veteran of retail sales, did she...
Pier 1 Is Officially Kaput
May 19, 2020 6:34 PM CDT
Pier 1 Is Officially Kaput
All 540 stores will permanently close
- Pier 1, the seller of wicker chairs and scented candles, says it will go out of business and permanently close all 540 of its stores. The Fort Worth, Texas-based company said Tuesday that it was unable to find a buyer for its business after filing for bankruptcy protection earlier this...
Walmart Stats Present
a Snapshot of Pandemic
May 19, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
Walmart Stats Present a Snapshot of Pandemic
Sales surged, especially online, as Americans stocked up
- The pandemic has brought financial ruin to some retailers . Not so with Walmart, whose sales boomed in the quarter that ended May 1, reports CNBC . Overall, same-store sales were up 10%, but the details show how the coronavirus radically altered shopping patterns. For one thing, online sales rose a staggering...
First Big Retailer to Fail
From Virus Files for Bankruptcy
May 4, 2020 6:03 AM CDT
First Big Retailer to Fail From Virus Files for Bankruptcy
J. Crew was already struggling even before the pandemic
- J. Crew was having a tough time even before the pandemic arrived. Now, the
New York Times
says it's the "first major retailer to fall" from the virus, seeking bankruptcy protection to try to stay alive. On Monday, the clothing retailer's parent company, Chinos Holdings, filed to...
Macy's to Reopen Dozens
of Stores, With Changes
Apr 30, 2020 9:45 AM CDT
Macy's to Reopen Dozens of Stores, With Changes
Temperature checks, masks for workers will now be part of the work environment
- Dozens of Macy's stores, closed since March 18, are set to reopen Monday. The company plans to have 68 of its 775 department stores reopened by the start of next week, with limited hours of 11am to 7pm. These are in states that have loosened restrictions. A quarter of...
Texas Governor on Reopening:
'It's Time to Set a New Course'
Apr 28, 2020 6:52 AM CDT
Texas Governor on Reopening: 'It's Time to Set a New Course'
Stay-at-home orders are expiring, and some states, like Texas, are beginning incremental reopenings
- Friday's the day for Texas. That's the day after its stay-at-home order expires, and when Gov. Greg Abbott says venues such as restaurants, movie theaters, malls, museums, retail stores, and libraries may reopen, though at 25% of their usual capacity, report the
Dallas Morning News
Ikea's Main Franchisee
Prepares for Baby Boom
Apr 21, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
Ikea's Main Franchisee Prepares for Baby Boom
Ingka aims to reopen European stores in May
- Ikea's main franchisee has reopened all but one of its stores in China, and next month it plans to welcome crowds back to its European stores, too. Ingka Group—the world's largest furniture retailer, operating 420 Ikea stores around the world—aims to reopen stores in Europe in...
Costco Draws the
Line on Customers
Apr 1, 2020 7:10 PM CDT
Costco Draws the Line on Customers
The retail giant limits how many shoppers can enter on a membership card
- Costco shoppers, take note: The retail giant says starting Friday it will only allow up to two people inside stores on each membership card,
reports. The company—which has seen huge lineups amid waves of panic buying— announced Wednesday that the "temporary change is for your safety...
'Panic' Buying Hits US Stores
Mar 14, 2020 9:40 AM CDT
'Panic' Buying Hits US Stores
Shoppers stock up amid COVID-19 fears
- Plan to go shopping today? Get ready for a lineup. Multiple media outlets are reporting on big crowds nationwide at chain stores including Target, Costco, and Walmart. "We saw the line around the block and we thought the world had gone mad," a Costco shopper in Lawndale, Calif....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.