Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Wildfire Rips Through Homes
Sep 3, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
Wildfire Rips Through Homes
About 100 structures are lost to California blaze that sent residents fleeing
- A wind-swept wildfire in rural Northern California tore through a neighborhood and destroyed about 100 homes and other buildings, fire officials said Saturday after at least two people were injured and thousands were forced to evacuate. The Mill Fire started shortly before 1pm Friday just north of Weed, a city...
Wildfire Wipes Out
Scenic California Hamlet
Aug 3, 2022 5:01 PM CDT
Wildfire Wipes Out Scenic California Hamlet
At least 4 Klamath River residents died in devastating McKinney Fire
- The scenic Northern California hamlet of Klamath River was home to about 200 people, a community center where they gathered, a corner store, and a post office. But the wildfire raging through the forested region near the Oregon state line jumped the river last weekend, killing four residents of the...
Jul 24, 2022 1:55 PM CDT
Crews Can't Contain Fire Near Yosemite
Blaze burns out of control in high heat, low humidity
: The wildfire raging near Yosemite National Park, which has become one of California's biggest of the year, remains out of control. And officials said the forecast for Sunday is not encouraging, the AP reports. "Today the weather is expected to remain hot with minimum humidity between 5...
California's Biggest Landowner
Closes Forests to Public
Jun 27, 2022 2:17 PM CDT
California's Biggest Landowner Closes Forests to Public
Sierra Pacific Industries cites wildfire risk
- Sierra Pacific Industries, the largest private landowner in America, says its forest lands in California will be closed to the public starting Friday. The company, which owns 2.33 million acres of land in California, Oregon, and Washington, normally allows the public to use land that isn't being actively...
Man Who Started Fire
That Killed Condors
Gets 24 Years
May 20, 2022 7:11 AM CDT
Man Who Started Fire That Killed Condors Gets 24 Years
2020 California fire nearly killed 14 firefighters
- A man who started a 2020 wildfire that killed 12 endangered California condors and seriously injured a firefighter has been sentenced to 24 years in state prison. Ivan Gomez, 31, was sentenced Wednesday by a Monterey County judge for setting the Big Sur Dolan fire while illegally growing marijuana in...
Big Sur Fire Shuts Highway 1
Jan 22, 2022 2:30 PM CST
Big Sur Fire Shuts Highway 1
Winds up to 70mph are expected in Southern California, as well
- A wind-driven wildfire broke out late Friday in the rugged mountains above Big Sur, forcing residents to evacuate their homes and authorities to shut down a stretch of Pacific Coast Highway. The fire started in a canyon and was pushed by 35mph winds to the sea, jumping the highway and...
Ruined a Winery's
Grapes. It Had a Plan
Dec 9, 2021 1:36 PM CST
California Wildfires Ruined a Winery's Grapes. It Had a Plan
Napa Valley's Pine Ridge Vineyards is now producing vodka made from the smoke-tainted fruit
- When life hands you lemons, make lemonade. When it hands you ruined grapes, make ... vodka? That's what Napa Valley's Pine Ridge Vineyards opted to do when its grape crops were sullied by smoke from last year's California wildfires, thanks in part to a partnership with an Almeda...
Father, Son Accused of
Starting Caldor Fire
Dec 9, 2021 1:48 AM CST
Father, Son Accused of Starting Caldor Fire
California wildfire burned for 67 days before it was contained
A father and son stand accused of reckless arson in the California wildfire that threatened the storied Lake Tahoe region, the
reports. After a monthslong investigation involving multiple search warrants, David Scott Smith, 66, and Travis Shane Smith, 32, were on Thursday taken into custody on a...
Thousands of Sequoias Must
Be Chopped Down
Oct 24, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
Thousands of Sequoias Must Be Chopped Down
Trees pose danger after California wildfires
- Thousands of California's famed giant sequoias are doomed in the wake of devastating wildfires that have swept the Sierra Nevada. Per ABC News , upwards of 10,000 of the trees, which can reach 275 feet and live for 3,000 years or more, must be culled for safety reasons....
Calif. Wildfires Deliver
a 'Heartbreaking' Loss
Oct 8, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
Calif. Wildfires Deliver a 'Heartbreaking' Loss
Hundreds of giant sequoias are believed to have burned
- Northern California wildfires may have killed hundreds of giant sequoias as they swept through groves of the majestic monarchs in the Sierra Nevada, an official said Wednesday. "It's heartbreaking," Christy Brigham, head of resources management and science for Sequoia and Kings Canyon national parks, told the AP...
Jury Awards Shannen Doherty
$6.3M to Rebuild Her House
Oct 5, 2021 12:09 PM CDT
Jury Awards Shannen Doherty $6.3M to Rebuild Her House
Actress had sued insurance company over settlement after wildfire
A Los Angeles jury has agreed that Shannen Doherty is owed more money by her insurer after her house was hit by a wildfire—to the tune of $6.3 million. The actress had sued, arguing that the house was so damaged that it needed to be rebuilt, while...
Woman Allegedly Sparked
Wildfire Trying to Boil Water
Sep 28, 2021 5:23 AM CDT
Woman Allegedly Sparked Wildfire Trying to Boil Water
Alexandra Souverneva hit with multiple charges in California
- The woman who was arrested after walking out of a Northern California wildfire near the fire line has now been charged with arson. Authorities say Alexandra Souverneva, 30, was trying to hike to Canada when, she told them, she found a puddle of water to drink but wanted to sterilize...
Woman Walks Out of Brush
Near Fire Line, Is Arrested
Sep 24, 2021 4:04 PM CDT
Woman Walks Out of Brush Near Fire Line, Is Arrested
Alexandra Souverneva accused of arson in Fawn Fire, which has forced evacuations of 4K
- A fire that erupted Wednesday in California's Shasta County has quickly spread to cover 5,500 acres , forcing thousands of people out of their homes. It's also prompted an arrest. Cal Fire and Shasta County Fire said employees spotted a white woman trespassing on property accessed through two...
Special Blankets Helped Save
World's Biggest Trees
Sep 21, 2021 11:14 AM CDT
Special Blankets Helped Save World's Biggest Trees
Recent controlled burns also kept sequoias safe in California
- The general is safe, for now. The reference is to the world's biggest tree, known as General Sherman, in California's Sequoia National Park, reports NPR . Encroaching wildfires had forest workers scrambling to protect the ancient trees last week, and their efforts appear to have paid off. Not only...
Lake Tahoe Residents
'Thankful to Be Alive'
Sep 8, 2021 11:45 AM CDT
Lake Tahoe Residents 'Thankful to Be Alive'
They're returning home, though Caldor Fire is only 50% contained
- Residents are returning to the Lake Tahoe resort area more than a week after evacuation orders spurred by the Caldor Fire , though full containment is still weeks away. More than 53,000 people had been ordered to evacuate by Sept. 1. At that time, officials expected full containment by Wednesday....
'This Fire Does Stuff
I’ve Never Seen Before'
Sep 1, 2021 12:59 PM CDT
'This Fire Does Stuff I’ve Never Seen Before'
Firefighters make progress in Tahoe battle, but danger remains
- Firefighters battling to save the Lake Tahoe resort area got some help from the weather overnight. Operations section chief Tim Ernst told firefighters Wednesday morning that they had "lucked out" with winds that were not as fierce as expected, allowing them to make progress defending the South Lake Tahoe...
Fire May Wipe Out
Lake Tahoe As We Know It
Aug 31, 2021 6:35 AM CDT
Fire May Wipe Out Lake Tahoe As We Know It
Iconic resort area is endangered
- As the Caldor Fire bears down on Lake Tahoe , experts warn that an "urban conflagration" could see the popular resort area around the lake gutted. Old homes and log cabins with wood porches and roofs are common in the neighborhoods around Lake Tahoe, which straddles the California-Nevada border, as...
As Fire Bears Down, Residents
of Lake Tahoe Told to Get Out
Aug 30, 2021 7:59 AM CDT
As Fire Bears Down, Residents of Lake Tahoe Told to Get Out
Evacuations ordered as 'Today, it let loose'
- Fire officials ordered more evacuations around the Tahoe Basin as a two-week-old blaze encroached on the mountain towns surrounding glimmering Lake Tahoe. By nightfall, the AP reports that all residents on the California side of the Lake Tahoe Basin were warned to evacuate, after fire officials had stressed for days...
Are Selling His Favorite Gun
Aug 24, 2021 4:04 PM CDT
Capone's Granddaughters Are Selling His Favorite Gun
They're worried that wildfires could destroy mobster's mementos
- Would you want Al Capone’s favorite gun? Or the dapper gangster’s diamond and pearl stick pin? It’s not just a thought experiment—his granddaughters are selling off some family heirlooms. The items are pretty nice things, with dollar values inflated by the mobster cooties all over them....
Help With Fires
Aug 23, 2021 7:35 PM CDT
California Seeks Major Federal Help With Fires
13K firefighters are battling the blazes that have thousands of people under evacuation orders
- More than 13,500 firefighters were working Monday to contain a dozen large California wildfires that have destroyed hundreds of homes and forced thousands of people to flee to safety. After a review of the damage, Gov. Gavin Newsom requested a presidential major disaster declaration for eight counties, Mark Ghilarducci,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Says McConnell Has 'Death Wish,' Insults His Wife
Ruling on Naomi Judd Death Probe Sees a 180
A $1.2B Ship Was Destroyed. Now, a Sailor Hears His Fate
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
A Daughter Changes Her Mind About Zodiac Killer's Identity
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.