Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Photographer Wins Her Case
Against Andy Warhol
May 18, 2023 2:12 PM CDT
Photographer Wins Her Case Against Andy Warhol
Supreme Court decides he violated copyright when he made portraits of Prince based on a photograph
- The Supreme Court has ruled against the late Andy Warhol in a case involving portraits he made of Prince back in the 1980s. The copyright decision split along unusual lines, with Sonia Sotomayor writing the majority opinion and Elena Kagan the dissent. The majority ruled that Warhol, who died in...
'The Sky's the Limit' as Hidden
Warhol Work Heads to Auction
Oct 28, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
'The Sky's the Limit' as Hidden Warhol Work Heads to Auction
1963's 'White Disaster (White Car Crash 19 Times)' expected to fetch $80M or more
- A death-focused painting by Andy Warhol, not seen in public for 15 years, is headed for the auction block next month and is expected to fetch a massive sum—though not half as much as one of his more famous works . The "monumental masterpiece" dubbed "White Disaster (White...
'Buyer Got a
Deal' on Warhol's
May 10, 2022 12:03 AM CDT
'Buyer Got a Deal' on Warhol's $195M 'Marilyn'
But the painting still broke records at auction
- In less than four minutes on Monday night, Andy Warhol's iconic "Shot Sage Blue Marilyn" set a new record for the highest price any American artwork has ever fetched at auction. It's also now the most expensive 20th-century artwork ever auctioned. The 1964 silk-screen close-up of Marilyn...
'Shot' Warhol Portrait
Expected to Fetch $200M
Mar 21, 2022 3:11 PM CDT
'Shot' Warhol Portrait Expected to Fetch $200M
'Shot Sage Blue Marilyn' likely to break record for a 20th-century painting
- Performance artist Dorothy Podber put a bullet through a stack of Andy Warhol paintings of Marilyn Monroe in 1964 but she definitely didn't destroy their value: Christie's says it expects one of them,
Shot Sage Blue Marilyn
, to fetch $200 million at a May auction, which would make...
Group 'Destroys' $20K Warhol
Sketch by Hiding It Amid Fakes
Oct 26, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
Group 'Destroys' $20K Warhol Sketch by Hiding It Amid Fakes
MSCHF stunt meant to 'destroy any future confidence in the veracity of the work'
- The art collective that brought you Lil Nas X's Satan Shoes says it's latest stunt involved "destroying" a one-of-a kind Andy Warhol sketch. Brooklyn-based MSCHF (pronounced "mischief") acquired Warhol's "Fairies," a 1954 minimalist ink sketch of three nude fairies playing with a...
'Surgeon to the
Stars' Dies at 98
Oct 11, 2019 8:38 AM CDT
'Surgeon to the Stars' Dies at 98
Bjorn Thorbjarnarson was sued after gallbladder operation on Andy Warhol
- Some called him a "surgeon to the stars" ; most knew him as the doctor at the center of the controversy over Andy Warhol's death. Now, Bjorn Thorbjarnarson is once more in headlines, this time for his own passing at the age of 98. The New York surgeon's...
Warhol Created a Mag to Get
Press Passes. Now It's Folding
May 22, 2018 7:12 AM CDT
Warhol Created a Mag to Get Press Passes. Now It's Folding
Andy Warhol's 'Interview' files for Chapter 7 after nearly 50 years on newsstands
- For nearly half a century, a publication started by Andy Warhol has been publishing Q&As with such celebrities as John Lennon , Leonardo DiCaprio , and even Warhol himself. Now, in what CNNMoney calls a "painfully familiar" story for those in media, staffers at
have taken to Twitter to...
Sean Combs Pays $21.1M for
Work by Noted Black Artist
May 19, 2018 2:15 PM CDT
Sean Combs Pays $21.1M for Work by Noted Black Artist
The producer has pieces by Keith Haring, Ai Weiwei, and Andy Warhol
- The mystery art collector who phoned in the winning $21.1 million bid at a Sotheby’s auction for a painting by African-American artist Kerry James Marshall has been revealed. That someone has turned out to be Grammy Award-winning record producer Sean Combs, aka Diddy, reports Marshall’s long-time art...
Ends With Ruined
Jan 11, 2018 10:40 AM CST
Date Allegedly Ends With Ruined Warhols, Potential Life Sentence
Lindy Lou Layman, 29, appeared in court Tuesday
- A Dallas woman appeared in court on Tuesday in connection with a December date gone horribly wrong . Following the appearance, the attorney for Lindy Lou Layman said, "We certainly disagree with Mr. Buzbee's rendition of the facts," per
. As for Layman's rendition of the facts,...
Woman Accused of Causing
$300K in Damage on First Date
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Dec 31, 2017 8:03 AM CST
Woman Accused of Causing $300K in Damage on First Date
Lindy Lou Layman allegedly got drunk, trashed lawyer's art collection
- Authorities say an intoxicated Dallas woman on a first date with a prominent Houston trial lawyer caused at least $300,000 in damage to his art collection, including two Andy Warhol paintings. Lindy Lou Layman was arrested Saturday on criminal mischief charges after her date with Anthony Buzbee, the AP...
Alice Cooper Finds Vintage
Warhol 'Rolled Up in a Tube'
Jul 24, 2017 9:10 AM CDT
Alice Cooper Finds Vintage Warhol 'Rolled Up in a Tube'
It's been in storage for decades
- Some people forget where they put their keys; others forget they own an Andy Warhol masterpiece that could be worth $10 million. That's how the Daily Beast frames a recent discovery by rock star Alice Cooper, who, for more than 40 years, has had in his keep a silkscreen...
Painting Made by 21-Year-Old
in 1982 Sells for $110.5M
May 19, 2017 1:20 AM CDT
Painting Made by 21-Year-Old in 1982 Sells for $110.5M
Jean-Michel Basquiat masterpiece busts auction records
- An artwork created by a 21-year-old American in 1982 broke several records at an auction in New York City Thursday night—including most expensive work by a US artist. Jean-Michel Basquiat's untitled painting of a skull sold for $110.5 million to Japanese fashion tycoon Yusaku Maezawa, who set...
FBI Offers $25K
Reward in Theft of
Warhol Soup Prints
Apr 12, 2016 6:00 PM CDT
FBI Offers $25K Reward in Theft of Warhol Soup Prints
Seven of the Missouri museum's 10 prints were stolen last week
- Federal investigators looking into the theft of artwork from a Missouri museum—including Andy Warhol prints of Campbell soup cans—hope a $25,000 reward stirs up leads, the AP reports. According to the
, the FBI says the break-in at the Springfield Art Museum took place early last...
Warhol Bidding Is Behind
2014's $16B in Art Sales
Jan 1, 2015 5:00 AM CST
Warhol Bidding Is Behind 2014's $16B in Art Sales
Collectors paid more than $650M for Andy Warhol works alone
- As it stands, the estimated $16 billion in art sales in 2014 is the second-highest in history, close on the heels of the $16.3 billion record set in 2011. And a sizable chunk is attributed to fierce competition among billionaires for works by Andy Warhol, 1,295 of which...
in case you missed it
Apr 27, 2014 7:07 AM CDT
Artist Finds Lost Warhols on Floppy Disks
YouTube video inspires new media artist to unearth doodles
- What would Andy Warhol do with a primitive approximation of MSPaint? Now we know. An old video uploaded to YouTube sent one new media artist on a quest that culminated in the discovery of a variety of previously unknown Andy Warhol works, The Verge reports. After seeing a 1985 video...
Jury: Ryan O'Neal
Can Keep Warhol
Portrait of Farrah
Dec 19, 2013 6:11 PM CST
Jury: Ryan O'Neal Can Keep Warhol Portrait of Farrah
University of Texas sued, says Farrah willed it to the school with other art
- A strange footnote to Farrah Fawcett's death has been settled in court: Ryan O'Neal can keep a large portrait that Andy Warhol made of her in 1980 and that now hangs over O'Neal's bed. A California jury ruled today that the silk screen on canvas belongs...
'Yarn Bomb' on
Aug 12, 2013 11:49 AM CDT
Knitters Drop 'Yarn Bomb' on Pittsburgh Bridge
Warhol Bridge is looking decidedly crafty
- More than 1,800 knitters have covered Pittsburgh's Andy Warhol Bridge with colorful yarn. Volunteers worked all weekend to attach 580 blanket-size, hand-knitted panels to the pedestrian walkways on the bridge in the city where Warhol was born. The project was organized by the Fiberarts Guild of Pittsburgh, which...
Art World About to Be
Swimming in Warhols
Sep 6, 2012 2:25 PM CDT
Art World About to Be Swimming in Warhols
Warhol foundation to auction off 20K works
- We've got bad news for art collectors who've invested heavily in screen prints of soup cans: Their value might be about to plummet, because Andy Warhol's estate is selling out. The Andy Warhol Foundation is dumping its entire collection—more than 20,000 works—in a move...
May 10, 2012 12:30 PM CDT
Sells for $37M
Lichtenstein's 'Sleeping Girl' brings in $45M
- Another strong day for Sotheby's, though maybe not on the scale of the
sold for $37 million. One of 22 made by Warhol, it's based on a movie still and shows Elvis as a gun-toting cowboy, notes the
I Bought $2M
Warhol at a
Apr 2, 2012 7:27 PM CDT
Visiting Brit: I Bought $2M Warhol at a Garage Sale
Andy Fields picked up the painting for just $5
- Andy Fields may inspire you to visit the local garage sale next time around. The British businessman and art collector says he bought a $2-million Andy Warhol painting for only $5 at a Las Vegas garage sale two years ago, the
reports. In fact, he hardly noticed it...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Winners, Losers From the 4th GOP Debate
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.