Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
New York Yankees
Stories 1 - 20 |
Pitcher's Game Is One 'I'm
Going to Remember Forever'
Jun 29, 2023 6:25 AM CDT
Pitcher's Game Is One 'I'm Going to Remember Forever'
New York Yankees' Domingo German pitches perfect game in 11-0 victory over Athletics
- Since arriving in the big leagues six years ago, Domingo German has been anything but perfect—until now. The New York Yankees right-hander pitched the 24th perfect game in major league history Wednesday night, retiring every Oakland batter in an 11-0 victory over the Athletics. It was the first perfect...
Brazilians Love Yankees Caps,
but It's Not Like They're Fans
Apr 1, 2023 4:35 PM CDT
Brazilians Love Yankees Caps, but It's Not Like They're Fans
The look is sophisticated and cool, say buyers, some of whom have heard of baseball
- An art director in Rio de Janeiro shopping for a baseball cap tried to relate Brazil's attitude toward baseball, a sport many people there say they don't understand. "We can't even understand how a sport like this is so successful," João Ricardo Santos said,...
Fan Who Caught Judge's
HR Ball Gets a Huge Offer
Oct 6, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Fan Who Caught Judge's HR Ball Gets a Huge Offer
Calif. auction house owner says he's willing to pay Cory Youmans $2M for the record-setting ball
- The fan who caught the ball from Aaron Judge's 62nd home run of the season—a slam that propelled the 30-year-old slugger for the New York Yankees into the record books, breaking Roger Maris' number for most home runs in a season for the American League—has a big...
A 61-Year-Old Baseball
Record Has Been Broken
Oct 4, 2022 8:44 PM CDT
A 61-Year-Old Baseball Record Has Been Broken
Aaron Judge breaks Roger Maris' record with 62nd home run of the season
Aaron Judge hit his 62nd home run of the season Tuesday night, breaking Roger Maris’ American League record and setting what some fans consider baseball’s “clean” standard, the AP reports. The 30-year-old Yankees slugger drove a 1-1 slider from Texas right-hander Jesús Tinoco into the first...
by This Run
Sep 6, 2022 2:37 PM CDT
Baseball Is Captivated by This Run
Aaron Judge of the Yankees has 54 home runs and counting, on track for a coveted record
- Aaron Judge of the New York Yankees hit his 54th home run of the season Monday night, and the
New York Times
explains the context: Judge is now on track to surpass the coveted American League record of 61 homers set by the legendary Roger Maris in 1961. It's...
During MLB Matchup, a
Most Unusual Twitter Stream
May 27, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
During MLB Matchup, a Most Unusual Twitter Stream
During Thursday's game between Yankees, Rays, teams live-tweeted stats on gun violence
- MLB fans looking to keep up with the game Thursday night between the New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays got quite the surprise when they logged on to Twitter. Instead of stats and play-by-plays, the two teams instead used their accounts to tweet out facts on gun violence. In...
May 26, 2022 6:17 PM CDT
Yankees Player Broadens His Apology
Josh Donaldson tells Rachel Robinson he holds her Hall of Famer husband 'in the highest regard'
: Josh Donaldson, the Yankees player suspended by Major League Baseball after addressing an opponent as "Jackie," has apologized to Hall of Famer Jackie Robinson's family. In a statement issued Thursday, CBS Sports reports, Donaldson reiterated that he had meant no disrespect and had already apologized to...
White Sox Win 'Breathtaking'
Field of Dreams Game
Aug 13, 2021 5:00 AM CDT
White Sox Win 'Breathtaking' Field of Dreams Game
Kevin Costner says setting for MLB's first Iowa game was 'perfect'
- Tim Anderson recently admitted he has never watched
Field of Dreams
. Well, he just submitted a pretty good script for a sequel. Anderson hit a two-run homer with one out in the ninth inning into the cornfield to end the Field of Dreams game in cinematic fashion, as the Chicago...
Yankees Report 2nd Outbreak
Among Vaccinated Players
Jul 16, 2021 7:55 AM CDT
Yankees Report 2nd Outbreak Among Vaccinated Players
Thursday game against Red Sox was called off
- The New York Yankees' Thursday night game against the Red Sox was canceled after another coronavirus outbreak among fully vaccinated players. The team says pitchers Jonathan Loaisiga, Nestor Cortes Jr., and Wandy Peralta have confirmed positive tests, CNN reports. Two of them received the Johnson & Johnson vaccine and the...
60 Years After
She Was Denied,
She's the Yankees' Bat Girl
Jun 29, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
60 Years After She Was Denied, She's the Yankees' Bat Girl
Gwen Goldman was turned down at age 10 due to her gender
- Gwen Goldman exchanged fist bumps with the New York Yankees she had been admiring for decades from afar, walked onto the field, and waved to the crowd. She got to be a Yankees' bat girl on Monday night at age 70—a full 60 years after she was turned down...
Jun 25, 2021 4:45 PM CDT
Vaccinated Athletes Test Positive, Giving Events Headaches
Olympics, playoffs, tourneys have to assess risks from 'breakthrough infections'
- Despite being vaccinated, top athletes are still testing positive for the coronavirus, putting major sporting events—including the Olympics—in a tough spot. Athletes and staff members in sports are being administered tests regularly, and though there are far fewer cases being reported than early in the pandemic, some are...
Yankees Hit With
Among Fully Vaccinated
May 14, 2021 6:27 AM CDT
Yankees Hit With COVID Outbreak Among Fully Vaccinated
8 so far have the virus despite vaccination status
- Eight members of the New York Yankees organization have tested positive for COVID-19 despite being fully vaccinated. Three coaches, four members of the traveling staff, and one player—Gleyber Torres—are affected, CBS News reports. Of those, seven are asymptomatic, CNN reports, and the one coach who did experience symptoms...
View, He Was
in the Game
Oct 9, 2020 12:53 PM CDT
In Mantle's View, He Was Best Pitcher in the Game
Yankee great Whitey Ford has died at age 91
- Whitey Ford, the street-smart New Yorker who had the best winning percentage of any pitcher in the 20th century and helped the Yankees become baseball's perennial champions in the 1950s and '60s, has died at age 91, per the AP . A family member said Ford died at his...
This Play Has Never Happened
Before in Big League Baseball
Sep 13, 2020 7:55 AM CDT
This Play Has Never Happened Before in Big League Baseball
Yankees get a walk-off win by doing something that could only happen in 2020
- The first leadoff, walk-off sacrifice fly in major league history put the New York Yankees back in commanding position for a playoff berth with just over two weeks left in the regular season. Yes, that's right, Luke Voit LED OFF the 10th inning with a game-ending sacrifice fly. "...
Trump: I'm Just Too
Busy to Throw a First Pitch
Jul 26, 2020 4:05 PM CDT
Trump: I'm Just Too Busy to Throw a First Pitch
The president says he has to focus on the coronavirus, the economy, 'and much else'
- President Trump says he's not throwing out the opening pitch at a New York Yankees game after all, Politico reports. After agreeing to do it Thursday, the president tweeted Sunday about other priorities: "Because of my strong focus on the China Virus, including scheduled meetings on Vaccines, our...
Trump Will Throw
First Pitch at Yankees Game
Jul 24, 2020 4:31 AM CDT
Trump Will Throw First Pitch at Yankees Game
He will throw ceremonial pitch at empty Yankee Stadium next month
- President Trump is going to throw the opening pitch at a Major League Baseball game for the first time in his presidency—with no fans present. The New York Yankees confirmed Thursday that the president will throw the first pitch at their Aug. 15 game against the Boston Red Sox...
Wild First Pitch
Jul 24, 2020 12:14 AM CDT
Watch Fauci's Wild First Pitch
It was a little outside
- Dr. Anthony Fauci had his moment on the mound Thursday. The nation's top infectious disease expert threw out the ceremonial first pitch at Major League Baseball’s pandemic-delayed Opening Day, as the Washington Nationals hosted the New York Yankees.
calls the wild pitch "an instant classic,...
on the Mound
Jul 20, 2020 7:45 PM CDT
Baseball to Resume With Fauci on the Mound
Nationals announce pandemic-fighter will be honored on Opening Day
- Dr. Anthony Fauci, the country’s top infectious disease expert, will throw out the ceremonial first pitch at the first game of Major League Baseball’s pandemic-delayed regular season. The Washington Nationals announced Monday that Fauci accepted the reigning World Series champions' invitation to have the pregame honor Thursday night,...
Yankees' First Team
Workout Is a Disaster
Jul 5, 2020 8:22 AM CDT
Yankees' First Team Workout Is a Disaster
A line drive hit a star pitcher in the head, and 2 players missed practice after testing positive
- The Yankees made their official return to the field Saturday for the first team workout since the pandemic ended spring training. New York got off to a painful start. Pitching in a simulated game, Masahiro Tanaka was struck in the head by a line drive hit by slugger Giancarlo Stanton....
Somehow, He Did What
No Other Pitcher Has Done
Jan 2, 2020 6:36 AM CST
Somehow, He Did What No Other Pitcher Has Done
Journeyman Don Larsen, who threw a perfect game in the World Series, is dead at 90
- Former Yankees pitcher Don Larsen has died at age 90, and the news brings a reminder of a name and accomplishment that might be familiar even to those who don't follow baseball: He threw the only perfect game in World Series history, notes NPR . Larsen managed the feat in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.