Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Oct 26, 2023 12:53 PM CDT
NHL Suspends Player Over Gambling
Ottawa's Shane Pinto did not wager on hockey games, the league says
- The NHL suspended Ottawa Senators forward Shane Pinto for 41 games on Thursday, making the 22-year-old American the first modern-day player banned for sports gambling. The league said that the half-season ban was for "activities relating to sports wagering" and that its investigation found no evidence Pinto bet on...
ESPN May Be About to
Enter 'Uncharted Waters'
Aug 9, 2023 7:52 AM CDT
ESPN May Be About to Enter 'Uncharted Waters'
Media giant, Penn Entertainment to launch 'ESPN Bet,' a sports betting app rebrand
- You know ESPN the sports media giant. Now brace yourself for ESPN Bet, a rebranding of an existing sports-betting app owned by Penn Entertainment, which is paying $1.5 billion plus other considerations for exclusive rights to the ESPN name. The deal, announced Tuesday, could take Walt Disney Co.-owned...
He Made a Living Losing
$300K at the Slots Last Year
in case you missed it
Jul 9, 2023 4:10 PM CDT
He Made a Living Losing $300K at the Slots Last Year
Inside the world of casino slot streamers
- Brian Christopher makes a living by losing money, and a lot of it—$300,000 last year. The California man is part of what Katherine Sayre, writing in the
Wall Street Journal,
terms a "new class of niche celebrities:" People who play slot machines in casinos with the...
Jun 29, 2023 3:51 PM CDT
NFL Announces Gambling Suspensions
Three players are out indefinitely, another for six games
- The NFL suspended three players indefinitely on Thursday for violating the league's gambling policy, and a fourth was sidelined for six games. Cornerback Isaiah Rodgers Sr., a projected starter for the Indianapolis Colts, and his new teammate Rashod Berry, a backup defensive end, both received indefinite suspensions and were...
Here's Why You're Losing
More Often in Vegas Casinos
Jun 4, 2023 5:20 PM CDT
Here's Why You're Losing More Often in Vegas Casinos
Companies that rely on gambling profits are stacking the deck
- Las Vegas casinos are costing gamblers more and making it harder to win. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that blackjack payouts have gone down, roulette wheels aren't as sure a bet as before, and gaming overall costs more now. It turns out there's a reason for these changes—...
800K Maryland License Plates
Feature a Very Odd URL
Jun 1, 2023 9:29 AM CDT
800K Maryland License Plates Feature a Very Odd URL
Website on older plates now lead to a site that promotes online casinos in the Philippines
- Nearly 800,000 cars in Maryland are driving around with older license plates featuring a tribute to the War of 1812, as well as a URL that's causing the state's Motor Vehicle Administration a bit of a headache. Per WBAL , the plates feature a drawing of Fort McHenry,...
Recovering Gambling Addict
Is Worried About a New Trend
May 28, 2023 3:05 PM CDT
Recovering Gambling Addict Is Worried About a New Trend
In first-person essay for Maclean's, Noah Vineberg laments rise of legalized sports betting
- Noah Vineberg started small, organizing sports pools in third grade among his friends. By the time he was a young teenager in Canada, he was gambling every day at a shopping mall where he could buy parlay-style tickets on sports events despite being underage. (The clerks never checked IDs.)...
Roulette Is Impossible
to Beat. Or Is It?
Apr 23, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
Roulette Is Impossible to Beat. Or Is It?
One man says he trained his brain to do it
- The conventional wisdom had long been that roulette is an impossible game to beat. Thanks to the green 0 pocket (American wheels also have 00), all red and black bets have just under a 50% chance of success. "Everyone loses eventually," writes Kit Chellel for Bloomberg . "Except...
Japan Is Building
Its First Casino,
Apr 14, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
Japan Is Building Its First Casino, Controversially
It's set to open in Osaka in 2029
- Japan is on course to get its first casino, but the country hasn't rushed into it: Japan legalized casinos in 2018 and it has taken five years for the first project to gain approval. The government announced Friday that a proposed casino complex in Osaka had gotten the green...
A Sports Gambling
Disaster May Loom
Feb 18, 2023 6:30 AM CST
A Sports Gambling Disaster May Loom
What addiction experts feared may be coming to pass
- What addiction experts feared may be coming to pass. In 2018, the Supreme Court made sports betting a state-by-state decision, and the expected explosion in legal sports betting has followed. Some 33 states and the District of Columbia now allow Americans to bet on live games, something that was illegal...
$16B on Super Bowl
Feb 7, 2023 3:18 PM CST
Americans Place $16B on Super Bowl
Gaming organization estimates 50M adults are wagering on Sunday's game
- By one measure, this year's Super Bowl is drawing twice the interest last year's did. Americans are estimated to be putting about $16 billion down on Sunday's game between the Kansas City Chiefs and the Philadelphia Eagles, twice the amount bet last year,
California Voters Say
No to Sports Betting
Nov 9, 2022 2:21 PM CST
California Voters Say No to Sports Betting
Propositions 26, 27 promised tens or hundreds of millions in state revenue
- The most expensive ballot proposition gamble in US history went bust Tuesday as California voters overwhelmingly rejected sports betting, shooting down initiatives to legalize sports gambling at tribal casinos and horse tracks or through mobile and online wagering. Native American tribes and the gaming industry raised nearly $460 million (see...
Mobile Gambling Takes Away
a Problem Gambler's Tell
Sep 10, 2022 7:50 AM CDT
Mobile Gambling Takes Away a Problem Gambler's Tell
There's no longer the need to explain absences caused by trips to a casino
- It's getting increasingly easier to gamble on your phone. In a piece for Vice , Maxwell Strachan looks at how the gambling scene has changed of late and the impact that's having, particularly on young men. He zeroes in on Illinois and New York, which have now legalized online...
Man Who Accidentally Got All
of Town's COVID Cash: It's Gone
May 19, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
Man Who Accidentally Got All of Town's COVID Cash: It's Gone
The 24-year-old Japanese man was arrested on fraud charge
- What the Japanese town of Abu knew was this: The $770 each COVID relief payments that were supposed to go to 463 low-income households last month mistakenly ended up in a 24-year-old villager's account . The mistake occurred April 8 and was identified that same day, but for weeks Sho...
In March, US Casinos
Raked in a Record Sum
May 11, 2022 5:40 PM CDT
In March, US Casinos Raked in a Record Sum
$5.3B was the highest single-month total ever, American Gaming Association says
- Inflation may be soaring, supply chains remain snarled, and the coronavirus just won't go away, but America's casinos are humming right along, recording the best month in their history in March. The American Gaming Association, the gambling industry's national trade group, said Wednesday that US commercial casinos...
for Betting on
Mar 8, 2022 3:00 AM CST
Falcons Player Suspended for Betting on NFL Games
Calvin Ridley defends himself on Twitter
- For endangering the integrity of the sport by betting on games, Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Calvin Ridley has been suspended by the NFL for at least the next season, the AP reports. Ridley won’t play in 2022 and there is no guarantee for the NFL future of the player...
Out of Crypto, a 'Particularly
Feb 16, 2022 7:36 AM CST
Out of Crypto, a 'Particularly Dangerous' Addiction
Investors are increasingly seeking out therapists, who say crypto addicts are akin to gambling addicts
- If you follow the roller-coaster ride that is Bitcoin, Ethereum, and other forms of cryptocurrency, you're familiar with the feelings that go along with that habit, especially if you're an investor. And they're not always pleasant feelings, according to mental health experts who say they're seeing...
Gambling Group Predicts
Record-Breaking Super Bowl
Feb 8, 2022 5:42 PM CST
Gambling Group Predicts Record-Breaking Super Bowl
Group says 31.5M expected to place bets
- A record 31.5 million Americans plan to bet on this year's Super Bowl, according to estimates released Tuesday by the gambling industry's national trade group. The American Gaming Association forecasted that over $7.6 billion will be wagered on pro football's championship game set for Sunday....
Gambling Nun to Serve Year
Behind Bars: 'I Have Sinned'
Feb 8, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Gambling Nun to Serve Year Behind Bars: 'I Have Sinned'
'I have no excuses,' says Sister Mary Margaret Kreuper, who stole $835K from Catholic school
A California nun and retired principal who embezzled $835,000 in donations, tuition, and fees from a Catholic elementary school will now have to pay it all back and serve a year behind bars. "I have sinned, I've broken the law, and I have no excuses,"...
Woman Stole $680K, Blew It on
Gambling App With No Payout
Nov 23, 2021 7:41 AM CST
Woman Stole $680K, Blew It on Gambling App With No Payout
Heart of Vegas doesn't pay out real money
- You've heard variations of this one before: A person steals money to fuel a gambling addiction. What's unusual in the case of Rachel Naomi Perri is that she blew the hundreds of thousands of dollars she admitted to stealing from her employer on a gambling app that doesn'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.