Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
GOP Strategists Shifting
Course on Abortion
Nov 9, 2023 11:10 AM CST
GOP Strategists Shifting Course on Abortion
Party's Senate campaign arm to advise candidates to avoid talk of a federal ban
- It's been a significant week for the politics of abortion, with Democrats scoring wins on the issue in Tuesday's election , and GOP candidates laying out a range of differing positions in their Wednesday debate. Where do things go from here? A look at coverage:
Big Wins Give Democrats
a 'Blueprint' for 2024
Nov 8, 2023 6:49 AM CST
Big Wins Give Democrats a 'Blueprint' for 2024
Voters back abortion access, appear wary of Trump-backed candidates
- Nearly a year and a half after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, abortion remains a key issue in elections across the country—to the benefit of Democrats, who've made protecting abortion rights a priority. A major takeaway from Tuesday's elections is that "voters are casting...
Ohio Votes to Protect
Nov 7, 2023 8:14 PM CST
Ohio Votes to Protect Abortion Access
Voters approve constitutional amendment enshrining abortion rights
- It looks like Ohio will indeed enshrine abortion protections into its state constitution. The AP reports that the constitutional amendment protecting abortion access in the state was passed by voters on Tuesday. After the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade last year, a 2019 law banning abortions after six weeks...
Abortion a Big Issue
in Tuesday's Voting
Nov 6, 2023 11:00 AM CST
Abortion a Big Issue in Tuesday's Voting
Restrictions, protections are front and center in Ohio, Kentucky, and Virginia
- The most-watched races in Tuesday's off-year general election have been dominated by the ongoing debate over abortion rights. From a reelection bid for governor in Kentucky and a statewide ballot measure in Ohio, to state legislative elections in Virginia, access to abortion has been a frequent topic in campaign...
Georgia's Top Court Upholds
6-Week Abortion Ban
Oct 24, 2023 3:23 PM CDT
Georgia's Top Court Upholds 6-Week Abortion Ban
Lower court's ruling was rejected 6-1
- The Georgia Supreme Court on Tuesday rejected a lower court ruling that the state's restrictive abortion law was invalid, leaving limited access to abortions unchanged for now. Fulton County Superior Court Judge Robert McBurney said last November that the ban was "unequivocally unconstitutional" because it was enacted in...
This State Will
Shutter 3 Maternity
Wards. It's Not Alone
Oct 19, 2023 8:11 AM CDT
This State Will Shutter 3 Maternity Wards. It's Not Alone
'Maternity care deserts' are increasing in Alabama, and elsewhere, leaving pregnant women at risk
- In Alabama, three hospitals are about to cease delivering babies, leaving pregnant patients with no birthing hospitals in Shelby and Monroe counties, and a drive of up to 100 miles for some to get to a labor and delivery unit. That's not even that unusual in the Yellowhammer State,...
Britney Spears: I Had Abortion
With Justin Timberlake
Oct 17, 2023 12:21 PM CDT
Britney Spears: I Had Abortion With Justin Timberlake
She writes she would have kept the baby, but he was 'sure he didn't want to be a father'
- Britney Spears has a memoir coming out next week, but one of the biggest bombshells appears to have dropped already. Spears writes that she had an abortion years ago when she was dating Justin Timberlake, reports Page Six . "I'm sure people will hate me for this, but I...
Woman Who Burned
Abortion Clinic Gets
Sep 29, 2023 12:26 PM CDT
Woman Who Burned Abortion Clinic Gets Minimum Sentence
Lorna Roxanne Green delayed opening of Wyoming clinic by almost a year
- A woman who burned what was to be Wyoming's first full-service abortion clinic in at least a decade was sentenced to five years in prison for the crime on Thursday. Lorna Roxanne Green, 22, also will have to pay restitution that is yet to be determined but will be...
Over Ohio Girl
Who Got Abortion
Sep 18, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
Indiana AG Sues Hospital Over Ohio Girl Who Got Abortion
Todd Rokita says IU Health violated privacy laws when doctor spoke about case publicly
- Indiana's attorney general has sued the state's largest hospital system, claiming it violated patient privacy laws when a doctor publicly shared the story of an Ohio girl who traveled to Indiana for an abortion. The lawsuit, filed Friday in Indianapolis federal court, marked Attorney General Todd Rokita's...
After Roe Was Overturned,
Number of Abortions Went Up
Sep 7, 2023 11:35 AM CDT
After Roe Was Overturned, Number of Abortions Went Up
Numbers surged in states near those that brought in bans
- The overturning of Roe v. Wade didn't cause a drop in the number of abortions performed in the US, but there has been a surge in abortion in states close to those that brought in bans, researchers say. The Guttmacher Institute says that between 2020 and the first half...
Mexico's Top Court
Sep 6, 2023 4:42 PM CDT
Mexico's Top Court Decriminalizes Abortion Nationwide
Crime will be removed from country's penal code
- Mexico's Supreme Court decriminalized abortion nationwide Wednesday, two years after ruling that abortion was not a crime in one northern state. That earlier ruling had set off a grinding process of decriminalizing abortion state by state. Last week, the central state of Aguascalientes became the 12th of Mexico's...
Judge: State Abortion Pill Ban
Can Override FDA Approval
Aug 25, 2023 10:47 AM CDT
Judge: State Abortion Pill Ban Can Override FDA Approval
He says West Virginia can restrict sale of pill
- West Virginia can restrict the sale of the abortion pill, despite federal regulators' approval of it as a safe and effective medication, a federal judge has ruled. US District Court Judge Robert C. Chambers determined Thursday that the near-total abortion ban signed by Republican Gov. Jim Justice in September 2022...
Appeals Court Upholds
Abortion Drug Restrictions
Aug 16, 2023 2:23 PM CDT
Appeals Court Upholds Abortion Drug Restrictions
But SCOTUS will have the final say
- New restrictions on access to a drug used in the most common form of abortion would be imposed under a federal appeals court ruling issued Wednesday, but the Supreme Court will have the final say. The ruling by three judges on the 5th US Circuit Court of Appeals in New...
RFK Jr. Says He'd
Sign Federal Abortion
Ban, Then Does 180
Aug 14, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
RFK Jr. Says He'd Sign Federal Abortion Ban, Then Does 180
2024 presidential candidate later says he misunderstood question
- Robert F. Kennedy Jr. said he'd sign a federal abortion ban if he wins the 2024 presidential election, then quickly did a 180. The Democratic presidential candidate was asked by a NBC News reporter while visiting the Iowa State Fair Sunday whether he would sign "federal protection" for...
What the Ohio Vote
on Abortion Means
Aug 9, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
What the Ohio Vote on Abortion Means
It appears to be trouble for the GOP strategy of leaving the issue up to the states, for now
- Ohio voters delivered a victory for abortion access on Tuesday, even if they didn't explicitly vote on abortion. Instead, they rejected a GOP-backed proposal (called Issue 1) that would have made it harder to amend the state's constitution. However, the vote was widely understood to be an attempt...
Ohio Voters Deliver
Big Win for Abortion Rights
Aug 8, 2023 9:46 PM CDT
Ohio Voters Deliver Big Win for Abortion Rights
57% reject measure that would have changed the ballot process
- Ohio voters on Tuesday roundly rejected a Republican ballot measure that was widely seen as aiming to make it more difficult for an amendment enshrining abortion rights to someday be added to the state constitution. While Issue 1, which more than 57% of voters voted against, according to Decision Desk...
Big Abortion-Rights Victory
in Ruling Over Texas Ban
Aug 5, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Big Abortion-Rights Victory in Ruling Over Texas Ban
Injunction calls to allow for exceptions for serious pregnancy complications, though appeal blocks it
- A Texas judge ruled Friday the state's abortion ban has proven too restrictive for women with serious pregnancy complications and must allow exceptions without doctors fearing the threat of criminal charges. The ruling was the first to undercut Texas' law, one of the most restrictive in the US, since it...
Poll: 58% of Ohioans Back
Abortion Rights Amendment
Jul 24, 2023 1:45 PM CDT
Poll: 58% of Ohioans Back Abortion Rights Amendment
But Republicans are trying to raise threshold for amendments to 60%
- A proposed constitutional amendment on abortion rights in Ohio is supported by a large majority of voters, including a third of Republicans, according to a
/Suffolk University. The amendment, which would enshrine abortion rights in the state constitution, was supported 58% to 32%, with the backing of what...
Nebraska Teen Gets 90
Days in Jail Over Abortion
Jul 21, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Nebraska Teen Gets 90 Days in Jail Over Abortion
Prosecutors say mom helped her daughter end pregnancy at 24 weeks' gestation
- Celeste Burgess, the Nebraska teen who was charged after authorities said she and her mother conspired to terminate her 24-week gestation pregnancy with abortion pills last year, was on Thursday sentenced to 90 days in jail and two years of probation. Burgess, now 19, had pleaded guilty to illegally concealing...
Woman Vomits on the Stand
Recalling Abortion Ban Trauma
Jul 20, 2023 8:56 AM CDT
Woman Vomits on the Stand Recalling Abortion Ban Trauma
15 plaintiffs seek order blocking Texas abortion law from applying to high-risk pregnancies
- A woman testifying about the damage caused by Texas' ban on abortion after six weeks of pregnancy vomited on the stand Wednesday while describing her nonviable pregnancy, which ended with her giving birth to a baby who lived for just four hours. Samantha Casiano, part of a group of 13...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Liz Cheney Recounts 4 Words From Her Father
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.