Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Hurricane Ian Knocks Out
Power to All of Cuba
Sep 28, 2022 12:02 AM CDT
Hurricane Ian Knocks Out Power to All of Cuba
Storm heading to Florida next
- Cuba remained in the dark early Wednesday after Hurricane Ian knocked out its power grid and devastated some of the country’s most important tobacco farms when it hit the island’s western tip as a major storm, the AP reports. Authorities were working overnight to gradually restore service to...
to Be Legal in Cuba
Sep 26, 2022 7:15 PM CDT
Same-Sex Marriage to Be Legal in Cuba
Voters approve sweeping changes to nation's family code
- Same-sex marriage, surrogate pregnancies, and adoption by gay couples will all be legal in Cuba for the first time, after voters overwhelmingly approved changes to the nation's family code. Officials said Monday the vote in favor of the new code was running at 66%, per the BBC ; approval required...
At the Border, a Milestone
on Migrant Arrivals
Sep 20, 2022 8:49 AM CDT
At the Border, a Milestone on Migrant Arrivals
There were more than 2M 'encounters' with border officials over the past year—a big first
- There were more migrant arrivals along the US-Mexico border in the past fiscal year than any other: More than 2 million people tried to enter the United States from our southern neighbor, a record achieved in the first 11 months alone. Per a document from US Customs and Border Protection,...
Flight of Cuban Exiles
Is Largest Since 1980
Sep 7, 2022 11:58 AM CDT
Flight of Cuban Exiles Is Largest Since 1980
NBC News has the story of one woman who survived a perilous sea journey
- Barbara Viltres survived the journey that claimed the lives of some of her fellow Cubans who were illegally trying to enter Miami. But she didn't survive it unscathed. NBC News shares her story against the backdrop of the largest Cuban "exodus" that's occurred since 1980. Amid shortages...
Oil Tank Fire
Aug 10, 2022 6:50 PM CDT
Cuba Has Oil Tank Fire Just About Under Control
Officials expect blaze to burn longer but not spread
: After almost five days, crews have brought the oil fire that threatened to further strain Cuba's power supply nearly under control. An official said the fire might continue for a couple of days more but not spread, the AP reports. Once it's out, the oil storage base...
Drivers Sleep in Trucks
Waiting for Fuel in Cuba
Jul 16, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Drivers Sleep in Trucks Waiting for Fuel in Cuba
Diesel needed for vehicles is being diverted to generate power
- Dany Pérez had spent four days in a line of vehicles waiting to fill his truck with diesel he needs for the 560-mile trip from Havana to his home in eastern Cuba. Taxi driver Jhojan Rodríguez had been waiting at another station even longer—it was nearing two...
to Jet Ski Out
of the Country
Jun 16, 2022 1:14 PM CDT
Prosecutors: Suspect Tried to Jet Ski Out of the Country
It didn't work out for Ernesto Cruz Graveran, now held in Florida
- Stripped of his passport, a man tried to flee fraud charges in the US by riding a jet ski from Florida to Cuba, prosecutors say. Ernesto Cruz Graveran, 54, a Cuban national living in Florida and charged in a $4.2 million Medicare fraud scheme, is being held as a...
Jun 4, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
Storm Floods Florida Streets
System arrives from Mexico with heavy rainfall
- The storm system that made landfall in Mexico as Hurricane Agatha has reached Florida, bringing heavy rain and winds and flooding roads on Saturday. Officials in Miami, where downtown streets flooded overnight, warned residents not to try to drive or walk through the standing water, the
This Is the Largest Cuban
Athlete Defection in Years
Oct 5, 2021 5:18 AM CDT
This Is the Largest Cuban Athlete Defection in Years
9 baseball players defect during tournament in Mexico
- While playing in a tournament in Mexico this weekend, nine members of a Cuban baseball team defected. While Cuban athletes have a history of defecting while competing in other countries, this was the largest athlete defection in years, the BBC reports. The Cuban government confirmed the defections Sunday, calling them...
Toddlers in Cuba Are Now
Getting Homegrown Vaccines
Sep 15, 2021 8:21 AM CDT
Toddlers in Cuba Are Now Getting Homegrown Vaccines
Cuba is administering Soberana 2, not recognized by WHO, to kids as young as 2
- With kids still out of school since March 2020, and one of the highest coronavirus rates worldwide, Cuba announced a bold new undertaking Monday: It has begun to administer a COVID vaccine to children, even toddlers, reports Voice of America . Kids ages 2-18 are receiving Soberana 2 and the booster...
Man Survives 10 Days
Aboard This Makeshift Raft
Aug 30, 2021 11:25 AM CDT
Man Survives 10 Days Aboard This Makeshift Raft
He reportedly departed from Cuba with 3 others
- A good Samaritan is being credited with saving the life of a man who survived for 10 days aboard a makeshift raft that reportedly departed from Cuba. The man, who was found in Biscayne Bay south of Miami, says he had three companions with him who perished along the way....
US Imposes New
Sanctions on Cuba
Jul 22, 2021 3:38 PM CDT
US Imposes New Sanctions on Cuba
White House accuses regime of human rights abuses while quelling protests
- The Biden administration announced sanctions Thursday against a Cuban official and a government special brigade that it says was involved in human rights abuses during a government crackdown on protests on the island earlier this month, per the AP . The Treasury Department listed Alvaro Lopez Miera, a Cuban military and...
US Diplomats are Falling
Ill in Austria
Jul 18, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
US Diplomats are Falling Ill in Austria
Vienna's diplomatic community sees rash of 'Havana syndrome'-like mystery illness
- The Biden administration is investigating multiple incidents of US diplomats in Austria suffering from a mystery illness not unlike what struck their counterparts in Cuba years earlier. Twenty officials in Vienna have reported symptoms since the president took office this year, the
first reported Friday. Per BBC , the...
Cuba Counters Protest
Jul 17, 2021 3:05 PM CDT
Cuba Counters Protest
Raul Castro attends event 6 days after protesters took to streets
- Cuban officials rallied tens of thousands of supporters in the streets on Saturday—nearly a week after they were stunned by the most widespread protests in decades. President Miguel Díaz-Canel, accompanied by 90-year-old former President Raul Castro, appeared on the seafront Malecon boulevard that had seen some of the...
Boil Over Into Miami
Jul 14, 2021 7:50 AM CDT
Cuba Protests Boil Over Into Miami
Protesters also blocked a road in Orlando on Tuesday
- Florida protesters marching in solidarity with anti-government protesters in Cuba blocked major roads for about an hour on Tuesday. Traffic was halted in both directions along Miami's Palmetto Expressway, also known as State Road 826, near Coral Way at 1:35pm local time Tuesday, as dozens of marchers failed...
Biden: 'We Stand
With the Cuban People'
Jul 12, 2021 1:30 PM CDT
Biden: 'We Stand With the Cuban People'
President backs demonstrations, but critics say support didn't come fast enough
- Rare demonstrations in Cuba on Sunday have drawn the public support of President Biden, along with criticism from Republicans who say the White House was too slow to weigh in. Coverage:
"We stand with the Cuban people and their clarion call for freedom and relief from the tragic
Cubans Gather in Rare,
Jul 12, 2021 5:19 AM CDT
Cubans Gather in Rare, Mass Protests
Demonstrations are the country's largest in nearly 30 years
- Thousands of Cubans protested in the streets Sunday in what the
New York Times
calls an "astonishing" display of dissent in the repressive country. The demonstrations were Cuba's largest in nearly three decades, as anti-government protesters railed against food and medicine shortages and high prices against the backdrop...
Diplomats: Canada Is Hiding
'Havana Syndrome' Cases
Apr 29, 2021 11:23 AM CDT
Diplomats: Canada Is Hiding 'Havana Syndrome' Cases
They claim personnel are being sent to Havana without knowing the risks
- A group of Canadian diplomats says their government is hiding cases of "Havana Syndrome," the mysterious illness affecting Canadian and US personnel in Cuba. In a letter to Foreign Affairs Minister Marc Garneau, nine diplomats who reported strange symptoms say "at least three additional cases were identified...
Possible 'Havana Syndrome'
Attack Hit Near White House
Apr 29, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Possible 'Havana Syndrome' Attack Hit Near White House
Federal agencies investigating at least 2 incidents in the US
- Last year,
reported that strange, apparent attacks like those that sickened diplomats in Cuba had taken place inside the US . A month later, one such incident occurred just outside the White House. A National Security Council official was sickened near the Ellipse, the oval lawn on the White House'...
Castro Era Set
to End in Cuba
Apr 16, 2021 12:41 PM CDT
Castro Era Set to End in Cuba
After 62 years under Fidel and Raul Castro, Cuba sees latter step down from most powerful post
- For more than six decades, the Castro name has towered over Cuban politics and life. Now, that era is apparently coming to an end, with Raul Castro poised to step down Friday as the head of the country's ruling Communist Party, reports NBC News . The 89-year-old had taken over...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Says McConnell Has 'Death Wish,' Insults His Wife
Ruling on Naomi Judd Death Probe Sees a 180
A $1.2B Ship Was Destroyed. Now, a Sailor Hears His Fate
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
A Daughter Changes Her Mind About Zodiac Killer's Identity
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.