Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Fencing Off Russia
Apr 15, 2023 1:20 PM CDT
Finland Begins Fencing Off Russia
New NATO member says invasion of Ukraine was the main prompt
- The construction of barbed-wired fence along Finland’s long border with Russia—primarily meant to curb illegal migration—has broken ground near the southeastern town of Imatra less than two weeks after the Nordic country joined NATO as the 31st member of the military alliance. The Finnish Border Guard on...
As Russians Flee, Finland
Builds a Border Fence
Mar 1, 2023 2:00 AM CST
As Russians Flee, Finland Builds a Border Fence
More fallout from the invasion of Ukraine
- Finland shares an 832-mile border with Russia, the longest of any nation in the European Union. Soon, as many as 161 of those miles will feature a 10-foot-tall fence topped with barbed wire, with night vision cameras, lights, and loudspeakers installed at some sections. Finland says the border fence, which...
Art Installation Up for Just
Minutes Wins Design Prize
Jan 19, 2021 11:43 AM CST
Art Installation Up for Just Minutes Wins Design Prize
Border seesaws 'reminder of how human beings can transcend the forces that seek to divide us'
- The best design of 2020 was in place for less than 20 minutes, reports CNN , which shows just how impactful it was. "Teeter-Totter Wall," erected on the border fence separating El Paso, Texas, and Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, has been named the best design of the year by London'...
That'll Be Pricey
May 7, 2020 12:20 AM CDT
Trump Wants Border Wall Painted Black. That'll Be Pricey
'Washington Post' reports it could cost $500M—or more
- President Trump has for years expressed a desire to have the border wall bollards painted black, arguing that will make it look more imposing and will also cause it to be too hot to touch in the summer. While military commanders and border officials thought they had talked him out...
House Hands Trump
a Border Fence Victory
Dec 17, 2019 2:47 PM CST
House Hands Trump a Border Fence Victory
Passes $1.4T federal spending package that includes funding
- The Democratic-controlled House voted Tuesday to pass a $1.4 trillion government-wide spending package, handing President Trump a victory on his US-Mexico border fence while giving Democrats spending increases across a swath of domestic programs, the AP reports. The hard-fought legislation also funds a record Pentagon budget and is serving...
Dec 10, 2019 7:01 PM CST
Judge Rules Against Trump Administration in Border Wall Case
Federal judge says $3.6B in Pentagon funds can't be diverted to wall construction
- The secretary of defense in September authorized the diverting of $3.6 billion in Pentagon funds to build the border wall, but on Tuesday, a federal judge in Texas blocked the Trump administration from doing that, CNN reports. El Paso County, Texas, and Border Network for Human Rights had sued...
Mother Jumping Border Fence
With Kids Falls, Is Impaled
Nov 25, 2018 5:31 AM CST
Mother Jumping Border Fence With Kids Falls, Is Impaled
She was hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries
- A Guatemalan woman was impaled by rebar when she attempted to enter the US illegally Friday night. The 26-year-old, who was traveling with her 3-year-old and 5-year-old, scaled a US border fence near California's San Ysidro Port of Entry. The
San Diego Union-Tribune
reports she was in an area...
Mexican Pol Scales Border
Fence to Send Trump Message
Mar 3, 2017 7:12 AM CST
Mexican Pol Scales Border Fence to Send Trump Message
Braulio Guerra filmed, photographed himself atop 30-foot-high Tijuana border fence
- Braulio Guerra decided words weren't enough to get his point across on how he feels about President Trump's proposed border wall, so the athletic congressman from the Mexican state of Queretaro apparently put his climbing skills to work. BuzzFeed first reported on Guerra's high-profile stunt: showing himself...
to Trump: 'Shove It'
Jun 6, 2016 5:10 PM CDT
Texas Congressman to Trump: 'Shove It'
Filemon Vela not a fan of Trump's border wall idea
- More fallout from Donald Trump's claim that the US-born judge presiding over two fraud lawsuits against Trump University has a "conflict of interest" and should recuse himself because of his "Mexican heritage." Trump says US District Judge Gonzalo Curiel must be biased against Trump because of...
Pope on Trump:
A Person Who
Builds Only Walls
'Is Not Christian'
Feb 18, 2016 12:07 PM CST
Pope on Trump: A Person Who Builds Only Walls 'Is Not Christian'
- The latest to tussle with Donald Trump: Pope Francis. When asked Thursday about the presidential contender while returning from a six-day visit to Mexico, he responded, "A person who thinks only about building walls, wherever they may be, and not building bridges, is not Christian," reports the
Border Wall Plan
Feb 8, 2016 4:45 PM CST
Ex-Mexican Prez Not Impressed With Trump's Border Wall Plan
Mexico will not be paying for any 'stupid,' 'useless' wall
- Donald Trump isn't the only one who can throw around words like "stupid," "useless," "crazy," and "ignorant." Trump, of course, has claimed during his presidential campaign that not only will he get a border wall built if he's elected, but...
Arizona Dumps Plan to
Crowd-Source Border Fence
Nov 10, 2015 11:20 AM CST
Arizona Dumps Plan to Crowd-Source Border Fence
The state only received $265K or about 0.5% of its goal
- Arizona lawmakers who hoped to build miles of fencing along the border with Mexico using millions of dollars in private donations are instead directing the money to buy equipment for a border sheriff's office after the state received just a fraction of the donations needed. The decision Monday by...
Hungary to Migrants:
Cross This Fence
and You're a Criminal
Sep 15, 2015 7:07 AM CDT
Hungary to Migrants: Cross This Fence and You're a Criminal
New laws boost its crackdown at border with Serbia
- Hungary declared a state of emergency and police arrested 60 migrants at or near the country's 110-mile southern border with Serbia after new laws took effect at midnight making it a criminal offense to cross the border illegally or mess with the 13-foot razor-wire fence, the BBC reports. With...
To Keep ISIS Out,
Israel Plans a Fence
Jul 6, 2015 10:11 AM CDT
To Keep ISIS Out, Israel Plans a Fence
18-mile-long fence will be built along eastern border with Jordan
- Israel's borders with Lebanon, Syria, and Egypt are protected by a fence. Now the country has approved a plan to build an 18-mile-long fence along its eastern border with Jordan that could help prevent Islamist extremists and migrants from entering the country. The fence, to run from Eilat to...
Hungary Wants a Big Fence to Keep These People Out
Jun 19, 2015 11:39 AM CDT
Hungary Wants a Big Fence to Keep These People Out
It's looking to build 109-mile fence to keep out migrants coming from Serbia
- A 13-foot-high fence that stretches 109 miles along its border with Serbia is Hungary's plan for keeping in check what the
calls an "unprecedented migrant crisis." "Hungary cannot afford to wait any longer," the country's foreign affairs minister said at a press...
to 'Border Surge,'
Jun 20, 2013 9:18 AM CDT
Senators Agree to 'Border Surge,' 700-Mile Fence
Security concessions could open door for more GOP support
- How do you get Republicans to sign onto an immigration bill? You build a danged fence —a
of danged fence. A bipartisan group of senators has agreed to bolster the border security provisions in the Senate's immigration reform bill, in the hopes of winning over more GOP...
Brazil's Ambitious Plan:
Erect 10K-Mile Virtual Fence
May 18, 2013 6:40 AM CDT
Brazil's Ambitious Plan: Erect 10K-Mile Virtual Fence
To keep illegal activities at bay
- Brazil's border is pretty mammoth (here's a visual reminder ), and a growing economy has made illegal activities (chief among them illegal immigration) an equally growing concern. But the country has a plan: a 10,000-mile fence ... except that this one is virtual. For reference, America's southern...
Arizona Heckler to McCain:
'Where's the Dang Fence?'
Feb 20, 2013 10:27 AM CST
Arizona Heckler to McCain: 'Where's the Dang Fence?'
Town hall gets testy over immigration
- John McCain took a lot of heat at a pair of town hall meetings yesterday over his new push for immigration reform, with many angry Arizona residents telling him in turn that illegal immigrants should never become citizens, the AP reports. "Cut off their welfare and their stuff and...
Attempt to Scale
Nov 1, 2012 2:46 PM CDT
Attempt to Scale Border Fence Goes Poorly
Border patrol assumes it was a smuggling operation gone wrong
- Suspected smugglers who tried to use ramps to drive an SUV over a 14-foot-tall border fence had to abandon their plan when the Jeep became stuck on top of the barrier. Agents patrolling the US-Mexico border near the Imperial Sand Dunes in California's southeast corner spotted the Jeep Cherokee...
of Border Fence:
Dec 22, 2011 1:57 PM CST
Hidden Victims of Border Fence: Black Bears
Scientists say barrier hurts their migration
- They're seeing their homeland divided by a border fence—and with very little say in Washington, there's not much they can do about it. The fence along the border of Arizona may pose a threat to ... black bear migration, researchers say. Using pieces of barbed wire to catch...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old's Parents Got Ransom Note After She Vanished
Pope's Comments on Same-Sex Unions Make Waves
9-Year-Old Who Vanished While Camping Is Found Safe
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
Break in Kidnapping Case: Suspect Dropped Off a Note
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.