Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Berlusconi's Heirs Have
25K Worthless Paintings
in case you missed it
Oct 22, 2023 11:50 AM CDT
Berlusconi's Heirs Have 25K Worthless Paintings
They're reportedly planning to destroy late Italian leader's vast collection of bad art
- Silvio Berlusconi's heirs inherited a media empire worth billions of dollars, along with a vast portfolio of properties, after he died in June . They also inherited a huge collection of mostly worthless art. Berlusconi, Italy's longest-serving prime minister, reportedly bought around 25,000 paintings in the last years...
Is Dead at 86
Jun 12, 2023 6:05 AM CDT
Silvio Berlusconi Is Dead at 86
Billionaire was Italy's longest-serving prime minister, despite a slew of scandals
- Silvio Berlusconi, the boastful billionaire media mogul who was Italy's longest-serving premier despite scandals over his sex-fueled parties and allegations of corruption, died Monday, according to his television network. He was 86. Mediaset announced his death with a smiling photo of the former PM on its homepage and the...
Berlusconi's Birthday Gift From
Putin Breached Sanctions
Oct 20, 2022 8:37 AM CDT
Berlusconi's Birthday Gift From Putin Breached Sanctions
20 bottles of vodka sent to ex-Italian PM by Russian president violated measures on Ukraine
- What do you get a former Italian prime minister who has everything when his birthday rolls around? In Silvio Berlusconi's case, his old pal Vladimir Putin figured nearly two dozen bottles of hard liquor would do the trick. Unfortunately, the European Commission has determined that thoughtful gift breaches sanctions...
Sep 4, 2020 3:57 AM CDT
Berlusconi Hospitalized With COVID-19
Aide says 83-year-old is in for 'monitoring'
- Former Italian premier Silvio Berlusconi, who has a history of heart and other medical problems, was admitted to a Milan hospital early Friday as a precaution to monitor his coronavirus infection, a top aide said. Sen. Lucia Ronzulli told RAI state TV Friday morning that the media mogul, 83, who...
Buyer for Superyacht
Apr 10, 2020 11:31 AM CDT
Berlusconi Seeking Buyer for Superyacht
'Morning Glory' will set you back $11M
- Looking to escape the coronavirus in style? This option will cost a mere $11 million. The "first-class" superyacht
—complete with five suites, a formal dining area, spiral staircase, marble fireplace, and sprawling decks—is being sold by the former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi, per CNN . The...
Voters in Italy Just
Ousted the Establishment
Mar 5, 2018 11:25 AM CST
Voters in Italy Just Ousted the Establishment
Populist and far-right parties deal a strong blow to the euro zone
- Italian voters went to the polls over the weekend and upended the political establishment. The big winners were populist and far-right parties, which received about 55% of the vote in total, though it could take weeks to figure out exactly what kind of coalition will be governing the country. The...
Mar 10, 2015 6:35 PM CDT
Berlusconi Acquitted in Bunga Bunga Case
Court upholds decision to clear him in prostitute scandal
- Italy's highest court upheld Silvio Berlusconi's acquittal in his infamous "bunga bunga" case today, giving the former premier a welcome legal victory as he tries to rally his Forza Italia party ahead of regional elections in May. The Court of Cassation rejected prosecutors' appeal and confirmed Berlusconi'...
Italy to Shrink
May 23, 2014 3:52 AM CDT
Italy to Shrink Deficit Using Hookers, Cocaine
Illegal activities to be added to GDP
- Surprisingly enough, this idea didn't come from Silvio Berlusconi: Italy plans to include things like illegal drug sales, prostitution, and cigarette smuggling in its GDP figures for the first time, immediately giving the size of the economy a big boost, Bloomberg reports. Prime Minister Mario Renzi has pledged to...
Berlusconi: I Did Not Call
May 21, 2014 12:00 PM CDT
Berlusconi: I Did Not Call Merkel 'Un[bleep]able'
Plus: more hijinks from Silvio's interview with the BBC
- Oh, those wacky European leaders: Perhaps the wackiest of them all, Silvio Berlusconi, gave an interview to the BBC's Jeremy Paxman that aired last night, and predictable ridiculousness ensued, reports the
Asked point-blank, "Do you have a particular problem with Angela Merkel? Is it true you called...
for Duty at Hospice
May 9, 2014 5:59 AM CDT
Berlusconi Reports for Duty at Hospice
Former Italian PM begins community service with Alzheimer's patients
- Silvio Berlusconi headed to a hospice today ... to begin his community service for tax fraud . The former Italian prime minister was initially handed a four-year jail sentence, but it was dropped to a one-year term—now to be spent working one day a week with Alzheimer's patients. Berlusconi, who...
to Keep Quiet:
Nov 29, 2013 9:26 AM CST
Berlusconi Bribed 'Bunga Bunga' Women to Keep Quiet: Court
New probe likely for former Italian PM
- Silvio Berlusconi paid women who attended his "bunga bunga" parties to keep silent during a probe, an Italian court says. Amid suspicion over the parties, investigators searched the homes of young women allegedly involved. Afterward, in January 2011, Berlusconi invited the women to talk with his lawyers—and the...
Nov 27, 2013 12:20 PM CST
Berlusconi Kicked Out of Senate
Italian Senate expels him following tax fraud conviction
- Silvio Berlusconi won't be holding public office for at least six years after the Italian Senate expelled him from Parliament today. Berlusconi called today a "day of mourning for democracy" ahead of the vote, which is related to his tax fraud conviction, as thousands of his supporters cheered...
for 2 Years
Oct 19, 2013 11:58 AM CDT
Berlusconi Banned From Politics for 2 Years
But he can still lead political party without holding office
- A Milan appeals court today set Silvio Berlusconi's political ban in his tax fraud conviction at two years, setting the stage for more wrangling over the future of the embattled politician who continues to wield political influence. The appellate court was ordered by Italy's highest court to determine...
Day Yet in
Aug 1, 2013 3:45 PM CDT
Berlusconi Has Worst Day Yet in Court
His conviction, jail sentence for tax fraud is upheld
- Silvio Berlusconi has had his share of bad days in court in recent years, but none worse than today. Italy's top court upheld his tax-fraud conviction and related one-year jail sentence, and almost every story calls it his "first definitive conviction" or some close variation after all his...
Gets 7 Years
in Sex Case
Jun 24, 2013 11:14 AM CDT
Berlusconi Found Guilty, Gets 7 Years in Sex Case
Former Italian prime minister also barred from running for office
- Silvio Berlusconi's alleged sexcapades earned him a seven-year prison romp today, as a Milan court found him guilty of paying an underage prostitute
namely Karima El Mahroug, aka Ruby the Heartstealer
for sex at one of his infamous "bunga bunga" parties . The court also found the former...
Women Dressed as Obama at Berlusconi's Parties
May 17, 2013 2:04 PM CDT
Women Dressed as Obama at Berlusconi's Parties
Ruby Heartstealer reveals what went on inside his private disco
- Silvio Berlusconi's notorious "bunga bunga" parties featured women dressed as sexy nuns, nurses and ... Barack Obama. That's according to Moroccan dancer Karima el-Mahroug—known better as "Ruby Heartstealer"—with whom the former Italian Prime Minister is accused of paying for sex when she was still...
Ford in Hot Water for
Gagged Kardashian Ad
Mar 24, 2013 2:51 PM CDT
Ford in Hot Water for Gagged Kardashian Ad
Seems India ad agency went a little rogue
- Never mind that they were never supposed to see the light of day, Ford is quickly backing away from and apologizing for a pair of less-than-tasteful ads featuring bound and gagged women in the trunk of its Ford Figo. In one, Silvio Berlusconi sits at the wheel with three women...
Gets 1 Year in
Mar 7, 2013 1:58 AM CST
Berlusconi Gets 1 Year in Wiretap Case
But prison sentence won't start immediately
- Silvio Berlusconi was sentenced to a year in prison today in his wiretapping case, but don't look for him to be wearing stripes anytime soon, Reuters reports. He can appeal the decision, and a jail term won't start until all possible appeals are exhausted, ANSA explains. This sentence...
After Crucial Elections
Feb 26, 2013 12:39 AM CST
Italy Deadlocked After Crucial Elections
Chaos looms after no clear winner emerges
- One of the most closely watched Italian elections of recent years has delivered a suitably dramatic result. Pier Luigi Bersani's center-left bloc has narrowly beaten Silvio Berlusconi's right-wing coalition to win control of the lower house, but failed to win a majority in the Senate—leaving Italy likely...
As Italy Votes,
Feb 24, 2013 9:19 AM CST
As Italy Votes, Topless Protesters Target Berlusconi
Three women had 'Enough with Berlusconi' written on their backs
- Three feminist protesters added a little zing to Italy's crucial elections today, ripping off their shirts and attempting to charge Silvio Berlusconi as he voted. The trio had "Enough with Berlusconi" ("Basta Berlusconi") written across their backs, reports Sky News , and were quickly accosted by police...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.