Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Roe v. Wade
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sep 10, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
John Roberts Defends His Court
Chief justice say critics questioning Supreme Court's legitimacy are making a mistake
- Chief Justice John Roberts defended the authority of the Supreme Court to interpret the Constitution, saying its role should not be called into question just because people disagree with its decisions. When asked to reflect on the last year at the court in his first public appearance since the Supreme...
Michigan Judge Rules Against
90-Year-Old Abortion Ban
Sep 7, 2022 7:45 PM CDT
Michigan Judge Rules Against 90-Year-Old Abortion Ban
Governor praises decision but expects it to be appealed
- A near-total ban on abortions in Michigan was struck down Wednesday when a judge ruled the law violates the state constitution. The law, which makes performing an abortion a felony unless the mother's life is at risk, was approved in 1931 but dormant while Roe v. Wade guaranteed access...
This Just Became First State
After Roe to Pass Abortion Ban
Aug 6, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
This Just Became First State After Roe to Pass Abortion Ban
Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb signed bill Friday barring procedure, with few exceptions
- Indiana residents have just over a month before a restrictive new abortion ban goes into effect, after the state became the first one to pass such a law since Roe v. Wade was overturned. CNN reports that the Republican-sponsored law, set to start Sept. 15, was approved by the state...
Jul 29, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Alito Mocks Prince Harry Over Roe Criticism
Supreme Court justice also takes shot at Boris Johnson, other overseas critics
- Samuel Alito wrote the Supreme Court opinion that overturned Roe v. Wade, and he's not much interested in hearing what foreign critics have to say about it. In a speech on religious liberty in Rome hosted by Notre Dame Law School, Alito mocked Prince Harry and outgoing British Prime...
Ind. AG Gets Cease-and-Desist
Letter From OB-GYN
Jul 16, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Ind. AG Gets Cease-and-Desist Letter From OB-GYN
Warning sent by attorney for Dr. Caitlin Bernard, who performed abortion on 10-year-old rape victim
- The doctor at the center of a story about a 10-year-old rape victim in Ohio who had to travel to Indiana in order to get an abortion has sent the Indiana state attorney general a cease-and-desist letter, for remarks that the doctor's lawyer is calling defamatory. "Please immediately...
House Approves Bill
to Protect Abortion Rights
Jul 15, 2022 1:17 PM CDT
House Approves Bill to Protect Abortion Rights
But legislation to prevent abortion bans before 24 weeks only has slim chance of passing Senate
- The House has voted to restore abortion rights nationwide in Democrats' first legislative response to the Supreme Court's landmark decision overturning Roe v. Wade. However, the bill has little chance of becoming law, with the necessary support lacking in the 50-50 Senate. Yet voting marks the beginning of a...
Inside the Doubt Around Case
of 10-Year-Old Rape Victim
Jul 15, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
Inside the Doubt Around Case of 10-Year-Old Rape Victim
One pundit says to expect more one-source abortion stories, if any at all
- There was plenty of scrutiny applied to the story of a 10-year-old rape victim in Ohio who needed to travel out of state for an abortion following the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade. But now that it's been proven true , scrutiny is falling on those...
Jul 11, 2022 2:34 AM CDT
Buttigieg: Protesters at Kavanaugh's Dinner A-OK
Transportation secretary sees no issue with protesters outside Morton's
- Protesters gathered outside the Morton's steakhouse in Washington, DC, last week as Brett Kavanaugh dined inside, demanding the Supreme Court justice be kicked out. Pete Buttigieg has no problem with that. The transportation secretary was asked about the issue Sunday on Fox News because his husband Chasten tweeted about...
Biden Says He's
Emergency to Boost
Jul 11, 2022 12:31 AM CDT
Biden Says He's Considered Declaring Emergency to Boost Abortion Access
But White House has said it doesn't appear to be a 'great option'
- President Joe Biden said Sunday he is considering declaring a public health emergency to free up federal resources to promote abortion access even though the White House has said it doesn't seem like “a great option.” He also offered a message to people enraged by the Supreme...
Sources: Biden Will Take
Executive Action on Abortion
Jul 8, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Sources: Biden Will Take Executive Action on Abortion
Move is expected Friday, though it will be limited in scope
- President Biden will take executive action Friday to protect access to abortion, according to three people familiar with the matter, as he faces mounting pressure from Democrats to be more forceful on the subject after the Supreme Court ended a constitutional right to the procedure two weeks ago. The White...
State's Only Abortion Clinic
Shuts Down Permanently
Jul 7, 2022 6:28 AM CDT
State's Only Abortion Clinic Shuts Down Permanently
Jackson Women's Health Organization was at center of SCOTUS case
- The Mississippi abortion clinic at the heart of the recent Supreme Court decision that overturned Roe v. Wade is closing its doors for good. Wednesday was the last day that the Jackson Women's Health Organization, known as the Pink House, was allowed to legally perform abortions in the state,...
Mississippi Judge Rejects
Request to Block Abortion Law
Jul 5, 2022 5:04 PM CDT
Mississippi Judge Rejects Request to Block Abortion Law
State's only abortion clinic could have to close at the end of the day Wednesday
- As attorneys argued about abortion laws across the South on Tuesday, a Mississippi judge rejected a request by the state’s only abortion clinic to temporarily block a law that would ban most abortions. Without other developments in the clinic’s lawsuit, the clinic will close at the end of...
10-Year-Old Rape Victim
Denied Abortion in Ohio
Jul 4, 2022 1:03 PM CDT
10-Year-Old Rape Victim Denied Abortion in Ohio
She went to Indiana, where abortion is still legal, at least for now
- Days after the SCOTUS overturned Roe v. Wade, a 10-year-old rape victim in Ohio was forced to cross state lines to Indiana for an abortion. The girl was referred to Dr. Caitlin Bernard, an OB-GYN in Indianapolis, by a colleague who specializes in child abuse, according to
Why Some Jews, Muslims,
See Roe Reversal as an Attack
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jul 2, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Why Some Jews, Muslims, See Roe Reversal as an Attack
Their religions allow for abortions, some argue
- The role of religion in the abortion debate is getting a lot of attention in the wake of the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade—but when it comes to certain religions, some say the reversal represents an infringement of their religious liberty. Some Jewish groups have been very vocal...
Biden's Warning on Abortion:
'People Are Gonna Be Shocked'
Jul 2, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Biden's Warning on Abortion: 'People Are Gonna Be Shocked'
President anticipates some states may try to arrest women trying to access procedure in other states
- President Biden met virtually Friday with Democratic state governors to discuss abortion rights, and he offered an ominous prediction on what he sees happening in the wake of last week's overturning of Roe v. Wade by the Supreme Court. Reuters notes that, as a result of that ruling, women...
Biden: 'Outrageous Behavior'
From SCOTUS Is 'Destabilizing'
Jun 30, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Biden: 'Outrageous Behavior' From SCOTUS Is 'Destabilizing'
'We have to codify Roe v. Wade,' he says
- President Biden said Thursday that it was a "mistake" for the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade—and he supports making an exception to the filibuster to deal with it. "We have to codify Roe v. Wade in the law, and the way to do that is...
Popular Period Tracker Says
It's Got Users' Backs on Privacy
Jun 30, 2022 8:11 AM CDT
Popular Period Tracker Says It's Got Users' Backs on Privacy
Flo launches 'Anonymous Mode' to scrub customer identifiers that can aid in abortion prosecutions
- As women scramble to delete period and fertility tracker apps from their mobile devices in the wake of last week's Roe v. Wade decision , with fears that data from such apps could be tied to prosecutions over abortion, one of the largest health apps is assuring customers their information...
Cracking Down on
Abortion Pill Posts
Jun 29, 2022 2:16 AM CDT
Instagram, Facebook Cracking Down on Abortion Pill Posts
And more abortion-related controversy related to the social networks
- Shortly after Roe v. Wade was overturned by the Supreme Court, Instagram and Facebook were making headlines for more than one abortion-related reason. On Monday, Vice and other outlets reported that both Instagram and its sister company, Facebook, were removing posts from people offering to mail abortion pills. In some...
Jun 28, 2022 1:24 AM CDT
Courts Block Louisiana, Utah Trigger Laws
Louisiana's 3 abortion clinics plan to resume services
A second so-called "trigger law" banning abortion was temporarily blocked by a judge Monday, this one in Utah. The 14-day ban will allow the court to hear challenges to the law, the AP reports. Meanwhile, a South Carolina "heartbeat" abortion law was allowed to go into effect....
to the Ground
During LA Protest
Jun 27, 2022 6:32 PM CDT
Star to the Ground During LA Protest
Jodie Sweetin was taking part in an abortion rights protest
- Jodie Sweetin, best known for playing Stephanie Tanner on
, joined protests against the overturning of Roe v. Wade in Los Angeles over the weekend and was shoved to the ground by an LAPD officer. Video shows Sweetin, 40, being shoved as she apparently tries to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Says McConnell Has 'Death Wish,' Insults His Wife
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
Ruling on Naomi Judd Death Probe Sees a 180
Democrat Wants New Leaders After Stock Ban Stalls
Father Attacks Meta After Girl's Death
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.