Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Who Lost Full
Jul 29, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
GM Retirees Who Lost Full Pensions Turn to Congress
Bankruptcy deal cut payments and benefits for 20K Delphi workers
- Dave Muffley thought he had it made when it came to a solid retirement. The Indiana man spent roughly 30 years as a salaried maintenance technician for Delphi Corp., a subsidiary of General Motors, and expected to retire with a comfortable income by the time he hit 62. But when...
GM's Net Income Plummets 40%
Jul 26, 2022 7:30 AM CDT
GM's Net Income Plummets 40%
Chip, parts shortages hindered sales in Q2
- General Motors' second-quarter net income fell 40% from a year ago as computer chip and parts shortages hobbled factory output and drove the company's US sales down more than 15%. The Detroit automaker earned $1.67 billion from April through June, in part because it couldn't deliver 95,...
2 Big Recalls From
2 Major Automakers
Apr 2, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
2 Big Recalls From 2 Major Automakers
Ford is pulling back 737K vehicles over braking, oil leaks; GM 681K vehicles for wiper issues
- While it may have been unfortunate timing, Ford's April Fools' Day announcement was the real deal: The auto manufacturer is recalling more than 737,000 vehicles for two separate issues. Per the AP , about 345,000 Ford Escape SUVs (years 2020 through 2022) and the 2021-22 versions of the...
Ford Is Breaking Up
Mar 2, 2022 11:10 AM CST
Ford Is Breaking Up
CEO says restructuring will help company beat the competition in electric vehicles
- Ford will split its electric vehicle and internal combustion operations into two distinct but strategically interdependent businesses as part of a major restructuring to accelerate its adaptation of new technology, the Detroit automaker said Wednesday, adding its transformation into an EV company is accelerating. Ford Model e—to be led...
GM Hits Ford
Jul 24, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
GM Hits Ford With Trademark Infringement Suit
Automakers disagree about having 'Cruise' in a name
- General Motors has said "not so fast" to Ford's plans to soon add a new hands-free highway driving system to vehicles. The issue is the name, BlueCruise,
reports. GM finds that too close to Super Cruise, its own hands-free technology, and Cruise, the automaker's subsidiary...
Battery Fires Spark
Electric Car Recall
Jul 24, 2021 5:45 AM CDT
Battery Fires Spark Electric Car Recall
GM issues second recall of its Chevrolet Bolt
- General Motors is recalling some older Chevrolet Bolts for a second time to fix persistent battery problems that can set the electric cars ablaze. Until repairs are done, GM says owners should park the cars outdoors, limit charging to 90% of battery capacity, and not deplete batteries below 70 miles...
GM Recalls 400K Pickups
Jul 9, 2021 10:53 AM CDT
GM Recalls 400K Pickups
Air bags can rupture in 2015-16 Chevy and GMC trucks
- General Motors is recalling more than 400,000 pickup trucks in the US because the side air bags can explode without warning and spew parts into the cabin, per the AP . The recall covers certain 2015 and 2016 Chevrolet and GMC Sierra 1500, 2500, and 3500 trucks. US safety regulators...
NASA Orders Way
May 26, 2021 4:38 PM CDT
NASA Orders Way Off-Road Vehicles
GM-Lockheed collaboration to design rugged, faster electric rovers
- General Motors is teaming up with Lockheed Martin to produce the ultimate off-road, self-driving, electric vehicles—for the moon. The project announced Wednesday is still in the early stages and has yet to score any NASA money, the AP reports. But the goal is to design light yet rugged vehicles...
GM Sets a Date
for Going All Electric
Jan 28, 2021 3:48 PM CST
GM Sets a Date for Going All Electric
Company wants to leave fossil fuels in the rearview mirror by 2035
- General Motors has put a date on its worldwide change to an all-electric fleet of vehicles: 2035. The automaker had said the switch would be thrown at some point but had not said when. Chief executive Mary Barra announced the goal Thursday on social media, the
Wall Street Journal
Nov 23, 2020 3:15 PM CST
GM Now Agrees With Biden's Plan, Not Trump's
Says it is pulling out of lawsuit involving California and clean-air standards
- General Motors says it will no longer support the Trump administration in legal efforts to end California's right to set its own clean-air standards. CEO Mary Barra said in a letter Monday to environmental groups that GM will pull out of the lawsuit, and it urges other automakers to...
Nov 23, 2020 9:50 AM CST
GM Must Recall 6M Trucks, SUVs
Pricey move involves Takata air bags
- The US is making General Motors recall and repair nearly 6 million big pickup trucks and SUVs equipped with potentially dangerous Takata air bag inflators, per the AP . The decision announced Monday by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration will cost the automaker an estimated $1.2 billion, about one-third...
Here Are the 10 Most
Powerful Women in Business
Oct 20, 2020 8:35 AM CDT
Here Are the 10 Most Powerful Women in Business
Accenture CEO Julie Sweet tops 'Fortune' list
- For nearly a quarter of a century,
has published a list of the most powerful women in the business world, but this year the magazine notes it hasn't been "business as usual." Obviously, that's because of the pandemic and the effects it's had upon...
After Signing a $2B Deal With
GM, Accusations and an Exit
Sep 21, 2020 3:37 PM CDT
After Signing a $2B Deal With GM, Accusations and an Exit
Nikola founder Trevor Milton steps down
- Electric and hydrogen-powered truck startup Nikola secured a $2 billion partnership with General Motors earlier this month—and lost its founder two weeks later amid swirling accusations about an "intricate fraud" allegedly carried out by the company. Trevor Milton, who also served as the executive chair, stepped down Monday...
Who Is That Masked Man?
It's VP Mike Pence
Apr 30, 2020 2:12 PM CDT
Who Is That Masked Man? It's VP Mike Pence
He dons a mask on tour of GM plant after criticism of Mayo Clinic visit
- For Mike Pence, it's a different look and much less controversy. The VP wore a mask Thursday while touring a General Motors plant in Indiana, reports the Hill . It's the first time Pence has worn one on camera. Pence, of course, took much grief in the media for...
Auto Workers: Forget the
Risks, We're Doing This
Apr 25, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Auto Workers: Forget the Risks, We're Doing This
Hundreds of workers from Ford, GM, and other companies are making medical gear
- Cindy Parkhurst could have stayed home collecting most of her pay while the Ford plant where she normally works remains closed due to coronavirus fears. Instead, she along with hundreds of workers at Ford, General Motors, Toyota, and other companies has gone back to work to make face shields, surgical...
GM CEO: 20-Hour Days
Sped Up Ventilator Process
Apr 15, 2020 11:41 AM CDT
GM CEO: 20-Hour Days Sped Up Ventilator Process
First batch will be delivered by end of April
- Late last month, President Trump invoked the Defense Production Act to mandate that General Motors start cranking out ventilators in bulk to help in the fight against the coronavirus. Now GM and Ventec Life Systems, the medical tech firm it's working with, say they'll deliver their first batch...
Trump Invokes Act to Compel
GM to Make Ventilators
Mar 27, 2020 3:34 PM CDT
Trump Invokes Act to Compel GM to Make Ventilators
Earlier, he lashed out at General Motors and Ford
- President Trump lashed out at US automakers Friday and demanded they begin making ventilators to help hospitals cope with the pandemic. Hours after airing his complaints on social media, Trump invoked the Defense Production Act to require that General Motors make the machines, reports the
. The act gives...
Automakers Close All
North American Plants
Mar 18, 2020 4:22 PM CDT
Automakers Close All North American Plants
Unemployment applications soar across the country
- At the UAW's insistence, Ford, General Motors, and Fiat Chrysler decided Wednesday to close all of their plants in North America to combat the spread of the coronavirus. The plants won't restart before March 30 for Ford and GM, the
Detroit Free Press
reports. Fiat Chrysler has not...
GM Is Pulling Out
of 3 Countries
Feb 17, 2020 12:48 AM CST
GM Is Pulling Out of 3 Countries
Firm is withdrawing from Australia, NZ, Thailand
- General Motors has decided to pull out of Australia, New Zealand, and Thailand as part of a strategy to exit markets that don't produce adequate returns on investments. The move raised dismay Monday from officials concerned over job losses, the AP reports. The company said in a statement Sunday...
GM Investing $2.2B in
'Vision of All-Electric Future'
Jan 28, 2020 12:11 AM CST
GM Investing $2.2B in 'Vision of All-Electric Future'
Underused Michigan factory is being refurbished
- General Motors is spending $2.2 billion to refurbish an underused Detroit factory so it can build a series of electric and self-driving vehicles, eventually employing 2,200 people. GM said in a statement Monday that the factory will start building the company's first electric pickup late in 2021,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.