Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Boy Saves Drowning Man
With CPR Learned 'on TV'
Sep 13, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
Boy Saves Drowning Man With CPR Learned 'on TV'
12-year-old Austen MacMillan of Florida credited with saving the life of his behavioral therapist
- Twelve-year-old Austen MacMillan was swimming with his behavioral therapist in a backyard pool when the therapist decided to see how long he could hold his breath underwater. He didn't come back up. "It was like [five to six] minutes he was under the water and I was like,...
Dad of 13 Dies After
Saving Daughter in Rapids
Jun 20, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
Dad of 13 Dies After Saving Daughter in Rapids
Kansas neurologist Dustin Harker died of brain injury after reaching Arkansas River shore
- A father of 13 who was thrown from a raft that overturned on the Arkansas River managed to save his daughter, who was pinned beneath the raft, before dying of his own injuries. Dustin Harker, a neurologist from Kansas, had ventured to the Sunshine Falls area of Colorado's Royal...
For School Bus Hero,
Crisis Didn't Compete
With a Cellphone
May 15, 2023 7:05 PM CDT
For School Bus Hero, Crisis Didn't Compete With a Cellphone
Father says Dillon Reeves spotted the emergency instantly because he wasn't distracted by a screen
- The father of the 13-year-old who grabbed the controls when a school bus driver became incapacitated said there's a reason his son noticed the problem instantly: He wasn't staring at a cellphone. "What else are you going to do when you don’t have a phone?" Steve...
Man Goes on Job Interview,
Caps It Off by Saving a Baby
May 10, 2023 9:25 AM CDT
Man Goes on Job Interview, Caps It Off by Saving a Baby
Good Samaritan Ron Nessman jumped into action to save little boy in Hesperia, California
- Ron Nessman used to be a big-rig driver—until his girlfriend died, sending him into a spiral of depression and homelessness that's lasted eight years. However, for the past three months, Nessman has been living with his sister in California's San Bernardino County, trying to get back on...
Amid Chaos of Shooting,
a 'Final Act of Selflessness'
Jan 23, 2023 6:43 AM CST
Amid Chaos of Shooting, a 'Final Act of Selflessness'
Witnesses describe workers at 2 different dance studios confronting the gunman
- As police try to figure out a motive for Saturday night's mass shooting in Monterey Park, California, which left 10 dead and 10 others injured, stories are emerging on the heroes who tried to stop the gunman. Among them: Ming Wei Ma, the owner of the Star Ballroom Dance...
Blizzard Savior Given
Tickets to the Super Bowl
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jan 21, 2023 6:00 AM CST
Blizzard Savior Given Tickets to the Super Bowl
Cheektowaga mechanic Jay Withey, aka 'Merry Christmas Jay,' credited with saving 2 dozen
- A Good Samaritan in Buffalo who police say helped save two dozen lives during the city's December blizzard is getting a bit of a reward for his efforts. The Buffalo Bills are giving mechanic Jay Withey two tickets to next month's Super Bowl in Arizona, reports ESPN . It'...
Kids Survive 2 Days in Outback
After Parents Killed in Crash
Dec 29, 2022 10:55 AM CST
Kids Survive 2 Days in Outback After Parents Killed in Crash
'Nobody knows what they went through,' relative says; 5-year-old credited with saving baby brother
- Three young children survived two days in the Australian Outback after a Christmas Day car crash that took the lives of their parents, and the eldest sibling deserves some thanks for that. Sky News reports that 25-year-old Cindy Braddock, 28-year-old Jake Day, and their three kids—a 5-year-old girl and...
to Go to Auschwitz
Nov 15, 2022 9:55 AM CST
He Volunteered to Go to Auschwitz
Witold Pilecki was executed by Poland after the war, and his son is now seeking compensation
- The son of World War II Auschwitz death camp hero Witold Pilecki is seeking millions in compensation from the Polish government for his father's post-war arrest and 1948 execution by the country's communist authorities of the time. The case opened last week before a Warsaw court and the...
Secretly Died a 'Hero'
Oct 28, 2022 10:08 AM CDT
Multimillionaire Manga Creator Secretly Died a 'Hero'
Kazuki Takahashi drowned in Japan in July while attempting to save a girl and her parents
- When Kazuki Takahashi, creator of the popular manga Yu-Gi-Oh!, died in July, Japanese authorities gave few details on what had happened. They said the 60-year-old, whose body was found in snorkeling gear off the coast of Nago city in Okinawa, had died by drowning. But that wasn't the whole...
This Uber Passenger's Ride
Was a Most Unusual One
Aug 20, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
This Uber Passenger's Ride Was a Most Unusual One
Driver Fritz Sam stopped car to help rescue people from Brooklyn house fire
- A Brooklyn writer headed to a conference in Vermont this week just barely made her flight, and she has her Uber driver to blame. But Jemimah James Wei is completely OK with the detour, since it came about because the driver, 54-year-old Fritz Sam, stopped to rush into a burning...
Huge Sum Raised
for 25-Year-Old Who
Saved 5 From Fire
Jul 20, 2022 11:55 AM CDT
Huge Sum Raised for 25-Year-Old Who Saved 5 From Fire
Nick Bostic suffered burns and blisters
The 25-year-old hero who saved five people from a burning home in Indiana on July 11 is getting a hero's reception on GoFundMe . A fundraiser started for Nick Bostic by his cousin, who explained Bostic suffered "serious injuries and will need help during his recovery," has...
This Teen Saw a Car Go Into
the River. He Didn't Hesitate
Jul 9, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
This Teen Saw a Car Go Into the River. He Didn't Hesitate
Corion Evans, 16, saves 3 young women, police officer from drowning in Mississippi
- When Corion Evans saw three people at a party, the 16-year-old never imagined he would save their lives a few hours later. But that's what happened early Sunday when a car drove off a boat launch into a river in southern Mississippi. The high school student jumped into the...
Boys 'Shouldn't Have
Been Able to Physically
Do What They Did'
Jul 6, 2022 11:55 AM CDT
Boys 'Shouldn't Have Been Able to Physically Do What They Did'
10-year-old twins credited with saving dad Brad Hassig from drowning using CPR they saw in films
- Ten-year-old twins Bridon and Christian Hassig had never tried CPR themselves, but they knew what it looked like, based on scenes from movies including
. That came in extremely handy on June 14, when their father—the only adult at their home in Mountain Brook, Ala.—...
She Hit the Wrong Pedal,
but a Teen Saved Her Life
Jun 16, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
She Hit the Wrong Pedal, but a Teen Saved Her Life
Anthony Zhongor, 17, rescued Mia Samolinski, 18, from Long Island's Patchogue Bay
- A scary moment led to a heroic one this week at Long Island's Patchogue Bay. A 17-year-old named Anthony Zhongor rescued 18-year-old Mia Samolinski after she hit the gas instead of the brake on her SUV and plunged into the bay from a parking lot, reports NBC News . The...
Jun 10, 2022 8:08 AM CDT
Daring Rescue Rewarded: 'We Need More Anthonys in the World'
Chicago man Anthony Perry, 20, pulled a man off electrified rail at subway station
- A Chicago man who jumped onto train tracks to rescue someone who'd fallen onto an electrified rail at an L station earned more than praise for his heroic act: He's also been given a car. Anthony Perry, 20, was surprised this week with a 2009 Audi A8 from...
by 4-Legged Hero
May 11, 2022 12:03 PM CDT
Woman With Dementia Saved by 4-Legged Hero
Sherry Noppe's dog, who never left her side after she got lost in woods, barked till they were found
- Texas' Sherry Noppe, recently diagnosed with dementia, disappeared after taking her dog for a walk on May 3 in the Houston suburb of Katy. Thankfully, the 63-year-old was reunited with family just in time for Mother's Day after said black Labrador "saved her life," daughter Courtney Noppe...
Just Shy of 2, Texas Boy
Saves Family From Fire
Jan 28, 2022 11:57 AM CST
Just Shy of 2, Texas Boy Saves Family From Fire
Parents, recovering from COVID, couldn't smell smoke
- Before even reaching his second birthday, a Texas toddler is a hero after using the few words he knew to save his parents from a fire, the
reports. Kayla and Nathan Dahl, who are recovering from COVID-19, say they were sound asleep when their son Brandon woke them...
Blind Hero of
the Oklahoma City
Jan 26, 2022 7:54 AM CST
Blind Hero of the Oklahoma City Bombing Dies
Raymond Washburn, who led 5 to safety, died Jan. 16 at age 75
- Raymond Washburn, a blind man who was credited with helping rescue five people from the rubble of the Alfred P. Murrah federal building following the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing, has died, per the AP . He was 75. Washburn died on Jan. 16 at his home in Oklahoma City, and funeral...
Dies at Age 8
Jan 11, 2022 11:00 AM CST
Retired 'HeroRAT' Dies at Age 8
Magawa sniffed out land mines in Cambodia until punching his last time card last year
"A hero is laid to rest." So read the announcement Tuesday on the death of Magawa, the rat that became a legend in Cambodia for his award-winning work in sniffing out land mines. Belgian charity Apopo notes in its release that Magawa, 8, had seemed in generally...
Saves 3 Kids From Icy Horror
Jan 11, 2022 8:07 AM CST
Eagle-Eyed Neighbor Saves 3 Kids From Icy Horror
Dusti Talavera, 23, happened to see children fall through ice on pond in Denver
- A classic winter scene of kids playing on an icy pond turned frightening in Denver over the weekend, but thanks to an observant neighbor, a major tragedy was averted. KDVR reports that four children, reportedly related, were playing on said pond near an apartment complex when the ice gave way...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.