Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
colleges and universities
Stories 1 - 20 |
Here Are the Best
Colleges in America
Oct 16, 2023 1:22 PM CDT
Here Are the Best Colleges in America
WalletHub looks at everything from post-grad outcomes and campus experience to the cost factor
- Deciding on where to attend college doesn't just come down to academic programs and prestige—it also depends on the cost, and whether students and their parents feel they're getting a decent bang for their buck. WalletHub analyzed more than 850 colleges and universities across the US to...
Morgan State University to
Build Itself a 1.5-Mile Wall
Oct 11, 2023 1:00 PM CDT
Morgan State University to Build Itself a 1.5-Mile Wall
Decision comes in wake of homecoming shooting
- In the wake of a shooting that left five people injured during Oct. 3 homecoming festivities, Morgan State University leaders announced Tuesday they plan to build a wall around most of the northeast Baltimore campus and station security personnel at entrances and exits, reports the AP . The wall would extend...
These Colleges Offer the
Most Bang for Your Buck
Sep 23, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
These Colleges Offer the Most Bang for Your Buck
'WSJ'/College Pulse rank higher-ed institutions based on their value
- Picking a college or university can be a daunting task—especially when students and their parents have to fork over so much money to attend. Some higher-ed institutions offer more bang for the buck, however. Using research from the Third Way public policy think tank, the
Wall Street Journal
Here Are the
10 Best Colleges in the US
Sep 8, 2023 1:37 PM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best Colleges in the US
Princeton University is No. 1, per new 'WSJ'/College Pulse rankings
Wall Street Journal
is out with its annual college rankings , prepared in conjunction this year with College Pulse, and, perhaps unsurprisingly, an Ivy League takes the top spot. Princeton University is No. 1, and the
says that instructors, a rigorous curriculum, and ample resources all play a part...
Some Parents Pay Thousands
for Sorority Rush Consultants
Jul 30, 2023 8:05 AM CDT
Some Parents Pay Thousands for Sorority Rush Consultants
Mentorship includes practical guidance as well as advice about complex social interactions
- Kids enter college thinking they've begun their adult lives—but they often still need help from mom and dad. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that for some parents, helping means spending thousands on consultants who can guide their daughters through the increasingly competitive process of getting into a sorority....
DOE Looking Into How
Harvard Admits Students
Jul 26, 2023 8:25 AM CDT
DOE Looking Into How Harvard Admits Students
Harvard's legacy, donor admissions in the spotlight after SCOTUS ruling on affirmative action
- A landmark ruling last month by the US Supreme Court struck a blow against using affirmative action in college admissions, and soon after that decision, murmurs began intensifying on an adjacent controversy—legacy and donor admissions. Now, one of the Ivy Leagues is under the microscope over the practice: The...
on College Campuses
Now Offer Plan B
Jul 3, 2023 8:13 AM CDT
Vending Machines on College Campuses Now Offer Plan B
They're a push post-Roe to ensure college students have access to affordable, discreet contraception
- Need Plan B? Tap your credit card and enter "B6." Since last November, a library at the University of Washington has featured a different kind of vending machine, one that's become more popular on campuses around the country since the US Supreme Court ended constitutional protections for...
Landmark Ruling Delivers
Blow to Affirmative Action
Jun 29, 2023 9:39 AM CDT
Landmark Ruling Delivers Blow to Affirmative Action
Supreme Court rules against race-based admissions policies at colleges
- The Supreme Court delivered a landmark ruling on Thursday against affirmative action, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. In a 6-3 ruling that split along the court's usual ideological lines, the justices struck down admissions policies that took race into account at Harvard and the University of North Carolina, per...
May 15, 2023 3:01 PM CDT
DeSantis Makes Big Move on Colleges
Bars diversity, equity, and inclusion programs in Florida, tells complainers to go to Berkeley
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis continued his campaign on Monday against what he views as "woke" ideology in the education system. The governor and presumptive 2024 presidential candidate signed into law a measure that prohibits the state's public colleges and universities from spending money on what are known as...
May 6, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
Student Who Broke Scholarship Record Makes College Pick
Dennis Barnes, who got 180-plus acceptance letters, $10M in scholarships, selects Cornell
- Dennis Barnes is headed to Cornell. The New Orleans high school senior, who has received more than 180 college acceptance letters and upward of $10 million in scholarship funding, announced on Friday he'll be attending the Ivy League school in Ithaca, New York, in the fall, reports NOLA.com...
Vanishing From US Colleges:
Majors in English
Mar 5, 2023 10:35 AM CST
Vanishing From US Colleges: Majors in English
'New Yorker' explores plunging enrollments in the humanities at universities
- The headline is stark: "The End of the English Major." But after reading Nathan Heller's deep dive in the
into the state of the humanities at US colleges and universities, it doesn't seem like too much of an overstatement. Stats tell a big part...
Columbia University Makes
a Big Move on the SATs
Mar 4, 2023 10:00 AM CST
Columbia University Makes a Big Move on the SATs
Ivy League school announces it's keeping its test-optional policy without time limits for admissions
- During the peak of the pandemic, many schools around the nation, including Ivy Leagues, suspended their requirements that applicants submit SAT and ACT scores to be considered for admission. Now, one Ivy League might be making that move permanent. NBC New York reports that Manhattan's Columbia University is now...
Art Pulled From
Feb 22, 2023 7:59 AM CST
College Wanted Art Pulled From Diversity Exhibit, Group Refused
Now entire display is yanked from State College of Florida over complaints about 3 pieces of art
- For two decades, the Florida nonprofit Embracing Our Differences has hosted an annual outdoor art show in Sarasota, attracting hundreds of thousands of visitors each year. This time around, however, the group is yanking its entire display from one of the venues, the State College of Florida, after school officials...
Feds: $100M Scheme Sought
to License Untrained Nurses
Jan 27, 2023 2:10 PM CST
Feds: $100M Scheme Sought to License Untrained Nurses
More than 7.6K fake diplomas allegedly issued over 5 years in South Florida
- "There are over 7,600 people around the country with fraudulent nursing credentials who are potentially in critical health care roles treating patients," FBI Miami Special Agent in Charge Chad Yarbrough said this week. His warning came as the Justice Department announced charges related to three accredited nursing...
This University Has the Most
Jan 15, 2023 10:45 AM CST
This University Has the Most Stressed-Out Students
Berkeley fares the worst in new assessment
- UC Berkeley is known as a "workaholic" school, according to the online learning platform Preply , and that may explain why the university's students appear to be the most stressed-out in the nation. Preply analyzed student tweets from college towns during the fall semester and assessed them for stress...
for Experiments on Prisoners
Dec 24, 2022 5:30 AM CST
University Apologizes for Experiments on Prisoners
UCSF conducted the dermatology experiments in the 1960s and '70s
- A prominent California medical school has apologized for conducting dozens of unethical medical experiments on at least 2,600 incarcerated men in the 1960s and 1970s, including putting pesticides and herbicides on the men's skin and injecting it into their veins, per the AP . Two dermatologists at the University...
Hackers to College Students:
'For You, It's a Sad Day'
Dec 20, 2022 3:27 PM CST
Hackers to College Students: 'For You, It's a Sad Day'
Knox College's ransomware attack represents 'escalation in the extortion market'
- Ransomware attacks against educational institutions are on the rise, with Illinois' Knox College becoming the latest victim. But as NBC News reports, this attack is unique as it "marks the first known case in which hackers used their access to contact students directly in order to intimidate them."...
Dramatic Tuition Cuts
Expose a Pricing 'Feint'
Dec 15, 2022 7:20 PM CST
Dramatic Tuition Cuts Expose a Pricing 'Feint'
Almost nobody pays the full price, reports 'New York Times'
- Those applying to college over the next few months may notice many private institutions have slashed tuition fees amid the rising cost of living and growing skepticism about whether a degree is worth the cost. But as the
New York Times
reports, there's more to the price cut than...
Take Another Hit
Nov 17, 2022 9:50 AM CST
College Rankings Take Another Hit
Deans of Harvard, Yale law schools cite issues with magazine's methodology, will no longer participate
- Harvard and Yale consistently show up in college ranking top 10 lists, but there's one notable list their law schools won't be cooperating with in the future. The heads of those schools at the two elite universities announced Wednesday they'll no longer be willing participants in the...
These Are the Top 10
US Colleges and Universities
Oct 17, 2022 12:01 PM CDT
These Are the Top 10 US Colleges and Universities
MIT tops WalletHub's list
- Where to go to college is among the biggest decisions we make, affecting not only our future in general, but also our wallets (or our parents' wallets). WalletHub wanted to see which colleges and universities proved the best-performing options at the lowest cost for undergrads, analyzing the data on 900-plus...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.