Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
for Wreck Find Life
6 Miles Below Sea
in case you missed it
Jan 15, 2022 6:30 AM CST
Scientists Looking for Wreck Find Life 6 Miles Below Sea
Search for USS Johnston turns up deepest squid and jellyfish ever found
- A dive last year to the depths of the Philippine Sea not only revealed a closer look at the deepest shipwreck ever , but signs of life few suspected to be hiding up to 6 miles beneath the waves. Days before researchers came across the presumed wreckage of the USS Johnston,...
Teen Dies From Jellyfish
Sting After Rare Attack
Mar 4, 2021 8:47 AM CST
Teen Dies From Jellyfish Sting After Rare Attack
Tommy Johnson, 17, was swimming off Australia's Queensland coast when the box jellyfish struck
- The signs usually posted around coastal communities in Australia warn swimmers not to dive in during "stinger season," but those warnings weren't enough to save a 17-year-old boy who died Monday, a week after a rare attack from an extremely poisonous jellyfish in Queensland. Authorities say the...
They Spotted the Jellyfish.
Then It Started to Shapeshift
Sep 5, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
They Spotted the Jellyfish. Then It Started to Shapeshift
And this Deepstaria jellyfish has a little red companion
- It looks, in the words of Nerdist , "kind of like the ghost of a plastic bag," and the description is apt. Scientists aboard the research vessel E/V Nautilus have posted video of a rarely seen jellyfish known as Deepstaria. As Mashable notes, the translucent creature has the ability...
You've Never Seen a
Jellyfish Quite Like This
in case you missed it
Jul 21, 2019 2:15 PM CDT
You've Never Seen a Jellyfish Quite Like This
Barrel jellyfish as big as a person filmed off UK coast
- A biologist is urging people to "get in the water" after she had an hour-long encounter with a barrel jellyfish as big as herself. Lizzie Daly was diving off the coast of Cornwall, on the southwest tip of the UK, when "out of the murk came this huge,...
Creature on Earth
Now a Bit Less Scary
May 1, 2019 8:52 AM CDT
Most Venomous Creature on Earth Now a Bit Less Scary
Researchers say they've found an antidote for box jellyfish stings
- The world’s most venomous creature is not a snake but a jellyfish, and researchers say they have found an antidote for its lethal sting. The Australian box jellyfish has roughly 60 tentacles that can stretch up to 10 feet in length and are studded with microscopic hooks containing venom....
Hits Australian Coast
Jan 7, 2019 6:51 PM CST
Jellyfish 'Epidemic' Hits Australian Coast
More than 5,000 people stung along Queensland coast over the weekend alone
- The official word from one expert: A "hell of a lot" of people have been stung by jellyfish lately on Queensland's Gold and Sunshine coasts in Australia. Over the weekend alone, more than 5,000 people were stung as weather drove an armada of bluebottle jellyfish toward shore,...
Partypoopers: Jellyfish Sting
Hundreds in Florida
Jun 15, 2018 4:51 PM CDT
Partypoopers: Jellyfish Sting Hundreds in Florida
Swimmer: 'It just kinda stuck to my leg… and I couldn't get it off fast enough'
- It’s a moon jellyfish free-for-all on central Florida beaches. An unusually large swarm of jellyfish have stung an estimated 1,200 beach-goers over four days in Volusa County. Jellyfish are not unusual in the area. Winds and currents push them ashore once or twice a year, Volusia County spokeswoman...
With This Trick
Jun 16, 2015 7:28 AM CDT
Moon Jellyfish Shock Scientists With This Trick
'Symmetrization' has never been observed before
- When Caltech biologist Michael Abrams cut two arms off a young jellyfish in 2013, he figured it would do what many marine invertebrates do—grow new ones. But no. "[Abrams] started yelling... 'You won't believe this, you've got to come here and see what's happening,...
Gooey Blue Creatures
Invade West Coast Beaches
Apr 18, 2015 2:07 PM CDT
Gooey Blue Creatures Invade West Coast Beaches
Velella velella piling up along Washington, Oregon
- It sounds hyperbolic, but it isn't: Gooey jellyfish-like creatures have been washing ashore on Washington and Oregon beaches for more than a month by the millions—at least. The Weather Channel reports billions are being blown ashore. They're called velella velella, and "unless you're a microscopic...
Mysterious Jelly-Like Fish
Washing Up on West Coast
Aug 22, 2014 6:39 AM CDT
Mysterious Jelly-Like Fish Washing Up on West Coast
Experts blame strong winds for carrying so many Velella velella ashore
- Ocean-goers up and down the West Coast have spent weeks photographing thousands of mysterious sea creatures washing up on seashores from Washington to California, reports CNN . Called Velella velella, or "by-the-wind sailors," the silver-purple sea creatures that vaguely resemble jellyfish are typically found well out in the ocean,...
Giant New Jellyfish
Has No Tentacles
Aug 8, 2014 12:33 AM CDT
Giant New Jellyfish Has No Tentacles
Keesingia gigas has potentially deadly sting
- A huge new species of jellyfish discovered off western Australia looks a bit like a plastic bag—but one that can deliver a potentially lethal sting. Keesingia gigas is as long as a human arm, though bizarrely, none of the specimens caught or photographed appear to have any tentacles, the...
Jul 6, 2014 5:27 AM CDT
Get Worried: Jellyfish Population Is Booming
Climate change may be increasing their numbers
- The sting of a Chironex fleckeri box jellyfish, which live around Australia and the Philippines, can kill you within three minutes—and Australia's seen an increase in jellyfish numbers lately. In Sweden and Israel, vast numbers of jellyfish have caused trouble at nuclear and coal power plants this year....
Stunning New Jellyfish
Named, but Still Mysterious
May 13, 2014 1:54 PM CDT
Stunning New Jellyfish Named, but Still Mysterious
Pelagia benovici's native habitat remains unknown
- A new species of jellyfish has been discovered in the Gulf of Venice—but where it hails from remains a mystery. In a phenomenon known as a bloom, the now-named
showed up in such force in September that it interfered with fishing; citizen jellyfish trackers who were unable...
Robot Swarm's Mission:
Oct 4, 2013 7:15 AM CDT
Robot Swarm's Mission: Kill Jellyfish
South Korean 'bots aim to catch them in nets and slice them up
- Flesh-shredding robots that can devour 2,000 pounds an hour may sound like the stuff of horror movies, but they're very real and come with a purpose: kill jellyfish. Engineers in South Korea are working on something called the Jellyfish Elimination Robotic Swarm to cut down deadly attacks on...
Huge Nuclear Reactor
Shut Down by Jellyfish
Oct 1, 2013 5:15 PM CDT
Huge Nuclear Reactor Shut Down by Jellyfish
Swedish plant is back in business after massive clog
- The Oskarshamn power plant in Sweden has one of the biggest nuclear reactors in the world, but it's apparently no match for tiny jellyfish. Tons of moon jellyfish clogged the reactor's intake pipes from the ocean over the weekend, forcing the plant to shut down, reports
Jun 13, 2013 6:29 AM CDT
Jellyfish End Cuba-to-Florida Swim Dream
Chloe McCardel ends marathon swim after 11 hours
- An Australian woman had to cut short her Cuba-to-Florida swim attempt yesterday after jellyfish put an end to her effort, reports Australia's ABC . Chloe McCardel, who would have been the first person to swim the 103-mile distance without a shark cage, called it quits after 11 hours and multiple...
Nyad About Halfway
Through Epic Swim
Aug 20, 2012 6:58 AM CDT
Nyad About Halfway Through Epic Swim
Could arrive in Florida tomorrow
- Diana Nyad was about halfway through her swim from Cuba to Florida this morning, as her team attempted to get her through a storm. The 62-year-old is safe and still feels good, they say, and yesterday was "awesome" despite the fact that she suffered several jellyfish stings , her operations...
Aug 19, 2012 9:49 AM CDT
Swimmer Nyad Again Chases Cuba-Fla. Dream
62-year-old making 4th attempt at perilous swim
- Endurance swimmer Diana Nyad is making her fourth attempt at completing the 103-mile, Cuba-to-Florida marathon swim that has eluded her in her 62 years. Nyad has thus far suffered several jellyfish stings—which ended her previous attempt last fall—but team members tweeted that she was plowing along steadily this...
Don't Swim After
Eating? That's Bunk
Jun 24, 2012 12:37 PM CDT
Don't Swim After Eating? That's Bunk
Also: Don't pee on jellyfish stings
- There are so many myths about summer safety, it's a wonder anyone has any fun. Heard that poison ivy is contagious? Not true. Scared of swallowing watermelon seeds? They'll just pass through you. The
debunks a host of summer myths:
love people who taste sweet?
Shut Down Nuclear Plant
Apr 27, 2012 2:58 PM CDT
Jellyfish-Like Creatures Shut Down Nuclear Plant
Sea salp invade Diablo Canyon
- A horde of jellyfish-like animals has forced the shutdown of a nuclear power plant in California. The gelatinous creatures, 2 to 3 inches long, are called sea salp. The crisis began Tuesday, when workers at the Diablo Canyon plant discovered that screens which take in cooling water were clogged by...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Secret Recording of Pope Is Played in Court
Trump Says He Didn't Know White Nationalist He Dined With
Frontier Airlines Has Ditched Telephone Customer Service
He Mountain Biked an Iconic 27-Mile Trail—Uphill
They Worked on an Execution, and Suffered for It
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.