Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Celine Dion Cancels Tour
Over Neurological Disorder
May 26, 2023 11:23 AM CDT
Celine Dion Cancels Tour Over Neurological Disorder
Singer with stiff person syndrome not ready to return to stage—though 'I'm not giving up'
- Celine Dion's rare neurological condition will keep her from touring even longer than expected. The singer canceled the European leg of her Courage World Tour, which was to run from August to April 2024, on Friday, per the
. "All remaining dates currently on sale for 2023 and...
Monkeypox May Have Made
Its Way to 2nd US State
May 20, 2022 7:54 AM CDT
Monkeypox May Have Made Its Way to 2nd US State
Massachusetts had already reported a case of rare disease; now, a suspected case in New York City
- The UK , Portugal, and Spain have all recently reported a small number of confirmed or suspected cases of monkeypox, and on Wednesday, Massachusetts phoned in its own report , as officials tried to see if it was linked with the ones overseas. Now, a possible second case in another US city:...
Mom's Social Media Post
Leads to Son's Diagnosis
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 12, 2022 12:40 PM CST
Mom's Social Media Post Leads to Son's Diagnosis
Lock Samples is fine, except for his Uncombable hair syndrome
- A mother's social media post that featured her young son's unruly hair has led to a surprise diagnosis: It turns out that Lock Samples of Roswell, Ga., has an extremely rare condition known as uncombable hair syndrome, reports Fox 5 Atlanta . The name is self-explanatory: Lock's hair...
2nd US Case of
Nov 18, 2021 6:33 AM CST
2nd US Case of Monkeypox Emerges
Maryland resident recently returned from Nigeria, as with the earlier case in Texas
- Monkeypox, a rare viral illness that usually occurs in Central and Western Africa, has been identified in a second US resident since July. A Maryland resident who recently returned from Nigeria is in isolation with mild symptoms of the virus first detected in lab monkeys, the Maryland Department of Health...
Oct 23, 2021 10:16 AM CDT
Walmart Recalls Room Spray After Deaths
4 cases, 2 fatal, of rare infection linked to $4 room spray
- It started when a person in Kansas got sick with a rare tropical disease and died. Other people got sick in Minnesota, Texas, and Georgia. When someone in the US gets melioidosis, an illness caused by Burkholderia pseudomallei bacteria, doctors assume it came home with them on a trip to...
Woman Catches Most Deadly
Form of Plague From Her Cats
Sep 21, 2021 12:03 PM CDT
Woman Catches Most Deadly Form of Plague From Her Cats
Pneumonic plague rarely occurs in humans; her case is severe
- A woman in Wyoming has come down with pneumonic plague, the most severe form of plague and the only one that can pass from person to person, which she likely caught from her cats. The state Health Department reported Wyoming's seventh human case of plague in 43 years—a...
Terrifying COVID Complication
Follows India's 2nd Wave
May 9, 2021 3:55 PM CDT
Terrifying COVID Complication Follows India's 2nd Wave
A rare fungal infection is plaguing survivors
- As if India needed its bad situation to get worse, a rare fungal infection known as mucormycosis is cropping up among some COVID survivors. It's caused by the common mucor fungus, which most people are exposed to without suffering any ill effects. But some COVID patients, particularly those with...
His Sister Had
Then Died. Now
He Had Them
Apr 4, 2021 11:59 AM CDT
His Sister Had Confused Episodes, Then Died. Now He Had Them
Inside the race to solve a medical mystery
- If you're not familiar with rare metabolic diseases, you're not alone, and that fact is what drove one family's decision to share their story: of one tragedy, and one tragedy narrowly averted. As Dr. Lisa Sanders, author of
Diagnosis: Solving the Most Baffling Medical Mysteries
, writes for...
Cops: NY Woman Harassed
Toddler With Rare Disorder
Nov 11, 2019 8:11 AM CST
Cops: NY Woman Harassed Toddler With Rare Disorder
Krista Sewell is accused of stalking 2-year-old Anna, who has condition that makes her skin split
- "Over the past year, I have fought a battle I never thought I would fight and I felt fear no mother should feel," says Jennie Riley. The battle the upstate New York mom refers to is that of a harassment campaign against her toddler, allegedly carried out by...
Ordered Out of US, Woman
Faces Death Without Treatment
Sep 2, 2019 1:15 PM CDT
Ordered Out of US, Woman Faces Death Without Treatment
Isabel Bueso arrived 16 years ago to be a subject in a trial
- Immigrants facing deportation from the US and those seeking asylum here have feared for their safety—but Isabel Bueso fears for her health. She has a rare disease, mucopolysaccharidoses, for which she receives treatment in Oakland that she couldn't get back in Guatemala. Bueso, 24, came to the US...
Apr 30, 2019 12:18 PM CDT
Potential Breakthrough on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Researchers think they can diagnose it with a blood test
- The study was small—involving just 40 patients—but the results couldn't have been better. Researchers were able to correctly determine which 20 of those patients suffered from chronic fatigue syndrome based on a blood test, reports the
San Jose Mercury News
. A larger, more robust test is now...
Parents' Plea: Help Our Son
Before He Turns to Stone
Jul 21, 2018 7:29 AM CDT
Parents' Plea: Help Our Son Before He Turns to Stone
Jaiden Rogers of Colorado has a rare condition called stiff skin syndrome
- The parents of a boy with an incredibly rare disease say they've run out of money and options and are asking for the public's help. Tim and Natalie Rogers of Alamosa, Colorado, say their 12-year-old son, Jaiden, is essentially turning to stone because of a condition called stiff...
Doctors Find Way to Halt
Deadly Child Brain Disease
Oct 10, 2017 7:41 AM CDT
Doctors Find Way to Halt Deadly Child Brain Disease
Gene therapy is 'curative' for ALD, says doctor
- Without a risky bone-marrow transplant before symptoms appear, children with brain disease ALD can expect to live no longer than five years as nerve cells in the brain die off and erase one's ability to walk, talk, and think. Even a successful transplant can result in permanent disabilities, reports...
Sep 20, 2017 9:20 AM CDT
Deadly Insomnia a Devastating 'Family Curse'
One woman with FFI gene mutation hopes to find a cure
- In 2010, Sonia Vallabh noticed her mother acting oddly. "She was fitful and couldn't really tell you if she'd been awake or asleep," Vallabh tells CNN . Soon, the 52-year-old couldn't recognize her daughter and would spasm and speak in tongues. Upon her death months later,...
May Have Struck
Its 1st Female
in case you missed it
Feb 5, 2017 12:07 PM CST
Rare Disease May Have Struck Its 1st Female
Sahana Khatun was hospitalized with 'bark-like warts' on her face Sunday
- It looks like we may have to start calling it "tree person syndrome." Sky News reports 10-year-old Sahana Khatun may be the first female in the world with the rare genetic disease commonly known as tree man syndrome. The Bangladeshi girl was admitted to a hospital in the...
Jan 25, 2017 8:51 AM CST
Pregnant Doctor Succumbs to Rare Disease
She died unexpectedly in her final month of pregnancy
- A doctor in her final month of pregnancy with her third child was unwittingly suffering from a rare complication of pregnancy called peripartum cardiomyopathy, or PPCM. It's a form of heart failure that weakens the heart chambers and, in the most serious cases, can be fatal, explains the
'Tree Man' Gets Pruned,
Has Shot at Normal Life
Jan 6, 2017 2:26 PM CST
'Tree Man' Gets Pruned, Has Shot at Normal Life
Abul Bajandar's hands and feet were covered with giant bark-like warts
- It's a new beginning for the man formerly known as "tree man." Abul Bajandar, whose hands and feet were covered in giant warts that looked like tree bark, underwent his first surgery to remove the growths last February. Now—nearly a year and at least 16 operations...
Doctor Now Studying Rare
Disease That Nearly Killed Him
Nov 29, 2016 8:23 AM CST
Doctor Now Studying Rare Disease That Nearly Killed Him
David Fajgenbaum's last rites were read to him in 2010
- When David Fajgenbaum's mother died of brain cancer, the Georgetown University student founded Students of Ailing Mothers and Fathers in 2007 to cope. Now a doctor who's been diagnosed with a rare and deadly disease, he's founded another organization, the Castleman Disease Collaborative Network , where he works...
Few Kids Fully Recover From
Rare Disease On the Rise
Oct 4, 2016 5:35 PM CDT
Few Kids Fully Recover From Rare Disease On the Rise
50 cases of AFM confirmed in US in 2016
- At first, it seemed like 4-year-old Laura Carson was suffering from a simple headache. Then came rapid shallow breathing, a tremor, double vision. Within days in August 2014, she was "a limp rag doll," reports Today —but it took doctors some time to diagnose her with acute...
Both Sons to
Rare Brain Disease
Aug 7, 2015 7:30 AM CDT
Parents Losing Both Sons to Rare Brain Disease
There's no cure for Batten disease, and it's fatal
- Batten disease, a rare and fatal genetic brain disease marked by blindness, seizures, dementia, and loss of motor skills, gained attention earlier this year when Hollywood producer Gordon Gray and his wife Kristen learned that both their young daughters have it, reported Deadline in June. Now another California couple, Bekah...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.