Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Gates Foundation Commits
$1.2B to Ending Polio
Oct 16, 2022 4:50 PM CDT
Gates Foundation Commits $1.2B to Ending Polio
Virus still spreads in Afghanistan and Pakistan
- Pakistan and Afghanistan are the only remaining countries where the polio virus is in circulation. "The last steps to eradication are by far the toughest," said Mark Suzman, CEO of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which he said is committed to a global "polio-free future."...
New York Declares
Emergency on Polio
Sep 10, 2022 8:25 AM CDT
New York Declares Emergency on Polio
Virus is detected in another county's wastewater
- New York state reported a rare case of polio back in July, and no active cases have since surfaced. However, the virus that causes the potentially fatal disease appears to be spreading nonetheless, prompting Gov. Kathy Hochul to declare a state of emergency, reports NBC News . Her move on Friday...
'Alarming' New Find on
Polio in New York State
Aug 12, 2022 1:46 PM CDT
'Alarming' New Find on Polio in New York State
After emerging in Hudson Valley, virus pops up in NYC sewage, suggesting local circulation
- Polio appears to be working its way south through New York state, now making an appearance in New York City sewage after earlier showing up in wastewater in Orange and Rockland counties, reports CNBC . That suggests the virus is now circulating locally, spreading quietly among the unvaccinated. It's an...
'Hundreds' of People in NY
May Be Infected With Polio
Aug 5, 2022 11:21 AM CDT
'Hundreds' of People in NY May Be Infected With Polio
So says state's health commissioner after virus turns up in wastewater in a 2nd county
- News last month of an unvaccinated man in New York's Rockland County contracting polio and suffering paralysis was soon followed by reports of the virus being found in wastewater there. Now, nearby Orange County has also turned up polio in its sewage, in samples taken from two different locations...
Polio Resurfaces in New York
Jul 21, 2022 3:34 PM CDT
Polio Resurfaces in New York
New York health officials say infection originated in a vaccine
- A case of polio has been confirmed in New York state, the health department announced Thursday. The infected person has a type 2 vaccine-derived poliovirus, STAT News reports. The department gave the source as an oral polio vaccine, which hasn't been used in the US since 2000. Other countries...
UK Is Investigating
Possible Polio Outbreak
Jun 23, 2022 8:45 AM CDT
UK Is Investigating Possible Polio Outbreak
Country hasn't had a confirmed case since 1984
- Clinics in the UK have been put on high alert after a disturbing find in London's sewers. Authorities say multiple closely related samples of the virus that causes polio have been found in sewage water, suggesting there is an outbreak occurring in the capital, NPR reports. "The last...
She Relies on an Iron Lung,
Is 'Desperate' for Parts
Oct 30, 2021 4:35 PM CDT
She Relies on an Iron Lung, Is 'Desperate' for Parts
NPR talks to polio survivor Martha Lillard, 73
- In 2017, we shared a Gizmodo reporter's experience visiting the last three polio survivors in the US who still rely on an iron lung for survival. One of them was Martha Lillard, who shared her worries about needing to conserve the canvas spiral collars she relies on to provide...
McConnell Brings Up Polio
Jul 29, 2021 7:10 PM CDT
Urging Vaccinations, McConnell Brings Up Polio
Senator survived that disease as a boy, before a vaccine was developed
- Sen. Mitch McConnell, who would have benefited from a vaccine for another disease decades ago, is urging his constituents to be vaccinated against the coronavirus. The Senate minority leader has recorded a 60-second radio commercial that began airing Thursday on 100 stations in Kentucky, CNN reports. When he was a...
For Just the 2nd Time,
a Virus Is Eradicated in Africa
Aug 25, 2020 3:43 PM CDT
For Just the 2nd Time, a Virus Is Eradicated in Africa
The continent is now free of wild poliovirus
- "This is an incredible and emotional day," WHO Africa director Matshidiso Moeti said Tuesday as health authorities declared the African continent free of the wild poliovirus after decades of effort. The declaration leaves Pakistan and neighboring Afghanistan as the only countries thought to still have the wild poliovirus,...
Global Rollout of New Polio
Vaccine 'Largest' in History
Apr 18, 2016 10:10 AM CDT
Global Rollout of New Polio Vaccine 'Largest' in History
155 countries will swap supplies in two weeks
- As the world moves " closer than ever to ending polio," more than 150 countries are taking part in what the Global Polio Eradication Initiative calls the "largest and fastest" global rollout of a routine vaccine, NPR reports. The endeavor, which entails swapping out an older oral polio...
Man's Gut for
Aug 28, 2015 8:47 AM CDT
Polio Virus Lingered in Man's Gut for Decades
And that's bad news for children of anti-vaxxers and the developing world
- For nearly his entire life, a 29-year-old man living in the United Kingdom has had the polio virus living in his gut—where the strain has mutated from the weakened form he received in a vaccine as an infant to a much more virulent strain, according to a study published...
CIA to Stop
as Spy Cover
May 20, 2014 6:33 AM CDT
CIA to Stop Using Vaccines as Spy Cover
Health deans warned ruse could harm polio fight
- A top White House official has pledged that the CIA will no longer use vaccination programs as cover for spying operations—a ruse the agency used to target Osama bin Laden before the raid that killed him in 2011. Lisa Monaco, President Obama's top counterterrorism adviser, wrote to the...
WHO Declares Polio a
Global Health Emergency
May 5, 2014 1:41 PM CDT
WHO Declares Polio a Global Health Emergency
First time the organization has done so
- For the first time ever, the World Health Organization today declared the spread of polio an international public health emergency that could grow in the next few months and unravel the nearly three-decade effort to eradicate the crippling disease. The agency described current polio outbreaks across at least 10 countries...
Doctors Stumped by
Mystery Paralysis Disease
Mar 21, 2014 10:48 AM CDT
Doctors Stumped by Mystery Paralysis Disease
They're not even positive how to describe it
- Doctors are hitting brick walls in their search for the cause of the polio-like condition that's partially paralyzed at least two dozen California children, the
San Francisco Chronicle
reports. Doctors assume a virus is at work, but almost all of the patients they're examining weren't tested for...
Puzzling Polio-Like Illness Hits Kids in California
in case you missed it
Mar 1, 2014 12:25 PM CST
Puzzling Polio-Like Illness Hits Kids in California
Doctors mystified by at least 25 cases
- Public health officials are mystified by an outbreak of a polio-like illness that has left at least 25 children in California with paralyzed limbs. The affected children are hit quickly with severe weakness or paralysis, sometimes after a respiratory illness, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. The first case surfaced in...
Feb 11, 2014 12:16 AM CST
Afghanistan Hits Ominous New Polio Milestone
Capital sees first case since fall of Taliban
- Health workers in Afghanistan are on high alert after a girl was diagnosed with polio in Kabul—the first case the capital has seen since the fall of the Taliban in 2001. An urgent vaccination campaign has been launched in the city, especially in the desperately poor community of former...
Syria's Polio Threatens
Europe, Warn Doctors
Nov 8, 2013 10:09 AM CST
Syria's Polio Threatens Europe, Warn Doctors
Refugees could inadvertently spread the disease
- Polio might just be looking at a comeback tour, thanks to the Syrian civil war. There's a significant risk that the now-rare disease could spread from Syria to Europe, as refugees seek asylum there, a group of German scientists warned in
today. The danger is that many...
Polio Outbreak in Syria
Oct 29, 2013 7:22 AM CDT
WHO Confirms Polio Outbreak in Syria
Finds 10 cases in first outbreak in 14 years
- WHO has confirmed it: Syria is experiencing its first polio outbreak in 14 years. The UN body has confirmed 10 cases in the country so far, and another 12 potential cases are being investigated, the BBC reports. Most victims are under two years old and likely were never vaccinated, a...
Syria's New Woes: Polio,
Oct 21, 2013 7:03 AM CDT
Syria's New Woes: Polio, Flesh-Eating Parasites
Vaccination program breaks down
- Syria's clerics last week gave the starving people of Damascus the OK to eat dog , and the bad news has not ended there. The World Health Organization now suspects polio has returned to the country. If verified, these would be the first recorded cases there since 1999. And it'...
Is World's Worst
Aug 16, 2013 11:33 AM CDT
Somalia Polio Outbreak Is World's Worst
Thousands could have virus
- A polio outbreak in Somalia is spreading, with 105 confirmed cases and another 10 confirmed in neighboring Kenya, the UN's humanitarian affairs office says. Health officials are responding with vaccination campaigns that have reached 4 million people since the outbreak began in May, but those health officials cannot access...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Secret Recording of Pope Is Played in Court
Trump Says He Didn't Know White Nationalist He Dined With
Frontier Airlines Has Ditched Telephone Customer Service
He Mountain Biked an Iconic 27-Mile Trail—Uphill
They Worked on an Execution, and Suffered for It
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.