Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Apple to Let You 'Unsend'
a Text for First Time
Jun 7, 2022 8:50 AM CDT
Apple to Let You 'Unsend' a Text for First Time
Feature, along with the ability to edit texts, will be part of iOS16 update
- Apple unveiled a series of updates on the way for various products Monday, but the ones drawing the most attention involve texting. For the first time, iPhone users will be able to edit and even "unsend" texts, reports the Verge . However, they'll have to act fast: "Users...
Final Text Revealed From
Family Who Died on Trail
Feb 19, 2022 8:30 AM CST
Final Text Revealed From Family Who Died on Trail
From Jonathan Gerrish's phone: 'can you help us. ... No water or ver [over] heating with baby'
More is now known about the final hours of a California family who perished on a hike near Yosemite over the summer, thanks to dad Jonathan Gerrish's cellphone, reports CNN . Per the Mariposa County Sheriff's Office , some of the last things that Gerrish, wife Ellen Chung, and...
Aug 26, 2020 8:41 AM CDT
After 550 'G-Rated' Texts to Colleague, Alaska AG Steps Down
A married Kevin Clarkson sent the messages to much younger female worker's personal phone
- Alaska's attorney general is stepping down after a joint investigation by the
Alaska Daily News
and ProPublica revealed a series of "uncomfortable" texts he'd sent to a much younger female colleague. Per the
, Gov. Mike Dunleavy said on Tuesday that Kevin Clarkson had resigned, after first...
What's It Like Having Elon's
Old Number? She Can Tell You
May 21, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
What's It Like Having Elon's Old Number? She Can Tell You
25-year-old Lyndsay Tucker was reassigned Musk's former number by AT&T
- Anyone trying to give Elon Musk a call shouldn't be surprised if they end up speaking to a 25-year-old Sephora worker instead. Her name is Lyndsay Tucker, and she was by chance given a phone number by AT&T a few years ago that used to belong to none...
Coronavirus Hits Family of
'Wrong Number' Thanksgiving
Apr 10, 2020 1:00 AM CDT
Coronavirus Hits Family of 'Wrong Number' Thanksgiving
Lonnie Dench, husband of grandma who texted the wrong teen, dies of COVID-19
- A tragic chapter in the otherwise uplifting story of a grandma who texted the wrong teen about Thanksgiving dinner and ended up starting a sweet holiday tradition that has lasted years : Lonnie Dench, the husband of that grandma, has died of COVID-19. Jamal Hinton, who was 17 when Wanda Dench...
Case Is Out
Jan 23, 2020 10:40 AM CST
Woman in Texting Suicide Case Is Out
Michelle Carter released early for good behavior
- The woman convicted in Massachusetts' "suicide by text" case was released from jail Thursday. Michelle Carter, now 23, was convicted of involuntary manslaughter for, when she was 17, encouraging her 18-year-old boyfriend, Conrad Roy III, to go through with his planned suicide. She called and texted him as he...
FedEx: Those Texts, Emails
You're Getting Aren't From Us
Jan 23, 2020 9:17 AM CST
FedEx: Those Texts, Emails You're Getting Aren't From Us
Company warns it's not sending out package information with bad links to consumers
- That text or email you just got from FedEx about your package that starts "Hello mate"? Don't open it, or if you do by mistake, don't click on any of its links. That's because it's a scam, the delivery giant says, and one that'...
You Can't Just Text 'OK'
Nov 28, 2019 1:00 PM CST
You Can't Just Text 'OK'
Nick Douglas urges you to at least use an exclamation mark
- Think "OK" and "Yes" are good responses in a text? If so, please use an exclamation point to sound more positive—at least according to freelance writer Nick Douglas. "Otherwise you might sound passive aggressive, dismissive, or angry," he writes at Lifehacker . "There's a...
Did You Get a
Weird Text This
May Be Why
Nov 8, 2019 9:55 AM CST
Did You Get a Weird Text This Week? This May Be Why
Telecom glitch caused people to get 'ghost' texts from people who didn't send them
- If you recently received a strange text that doesn't make any sense from someone you know, you're not alone—and a Maine radio station appears to have helped solve the mystery. Per
, lots of head-scratching has been happening over the past couple of days, with people...
Woman in 'Suicide
by Text' Case Goes
Before Parole Board
Sep 19, 2019 1:22 PM CDT
Woman in 'Suicide by Text' Case Goes Before Parole Board
Decision on Michelle Carter's case not expected Thursday
- Michelle Carter has served seven months of her 15-month jail sentence for involuntary manslaughter in the 2014 death of her boyfriend , and on Thursday she appeared before the state parole board seeking early release. No decision was expected Thursday, the
reports, and the AP notes it's not...
She Told Boyfriend
to Die. Now She
Wants to Go to
Jul 9, 2019 6:11 AM CDT
She Told Boyfriend to Die. Now She Wants to Go to Supreme Court
Michelle Carter's lawyers say her 'words alone' shouldn't make her liable for Conrad Roy's death
- Michelle Carter's "words alone" shouldn't be to blame for the death of Conrad Roy. That's the premise her legal team is pushing in a new petition asking the Supreme Court to review her case in her quest to get her involuntary manslaughter conviction overturned, BuzzFeed...
We're Growing Little Skull
Horns Because of Our Phones
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 23, 2019 3:35 PM CDT
We're Growing Little Skull Horns Because of Our Phones
Peer-reviewed research finds spikes at back of the skull, just above the neck
- It sounds like a crazy tabloid headline—humans are growing little horns in the back of their skulls. Except it comes not from a tabloid but a peer-reviewed study in
. Australian researchers say more people, young ones especially, are showing up with what's known as an "...
High Court Could Revisit
'Texting Suicide' Case
Mar 4, 2018 1:45 PM CST
High Court Could Revisit 'Texting Suicide' Case
Michelle Carter's new attorneys say her "unprecedented" involuntary murder conviction was unlawful
- Attorneys for the Massachusetts woman who stood trial for pressuring her on-again off-again boyfriend into suicide while they were teens want her involuntary manslaughter conviction overturned. Michelle Carter's new team of lawyers, who are petitioning the state's highest court, said last month that the case against the now...
Caught Your Teen
Sexting? Don't Panic
Feb 27, 2018 10:05 AM CST
Caught Your Teen Sexting? Don't Panic
Researchers say it could be a healthy part of sex education, if handled correctly
- If you've finally mastered "OMG" and "IYKWIM," you may be ready for the next step in deciphering text messages—though if you're the parent of a teen, you might not like what you uncover. That's because teens are spending more time sexting, with at...
As of Today, You Can't Do This
Anymore on Honolulu Streets
Oct 25, 2017 11:30 AM CDT
As of Today, You Can't Do This Anymore on Honolulu Streets
No more looking at phones, electronic devices while crossing; fine will go up to $99
- Visiting Honolulu? Better get out of the habit of texting while walking, or at least while walking across a street. In a new law that took effect Wednesday, the Hawaiian city has banned looking at your phone (or any mobile electronic device) while crossing a street or highway. Anyone who...
Secret Messaging App
Both Adored and Feared
Aug 12, 2017 1:57 PM CDT
Secret Messaging App Both Adored and Feared
Sarahah lets users send messages anonymously
- Imagine being able to hear exactly what family, friends, and coworkers think of you without knowing who is behind each comment. It's enticing to the millions of people who've downloaded the massively popular new app Sararah since it was released in June. Adweek reports that it's currently...
Court Sees Chilling Plane Texts
on Alleged Child Abuse
Aug 9, 2017 4:31 AM CDT
Court Sees Chilling Plane Texts on Alleged Child Abuse
'I'm just so thankful the kids are safe,' says woman who reported fellow passenger
- The chilling text messages that alerted an airline passenger to suspected child abuse were revealed in court documents Monday. Investigators say Michael Kellar, 56, discussed drugging and raping two children, ages 5 and 7, that 50-year-old Gail Burnworth would be looking after, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. In messages that...
Woman Who Sent Texts Urging
Boyfriend's Suicide Sentenced
Aug 3, 2017 3:17 PM CDT
Woman Who Sent Texts Urging Boyfriend's Suicide Sentenced
Michelle Carter gets 15 months in jail
- A woman who encouraged her suicidal boyfriend to kill himself in dozens of text messages and told him to "get back in" a truck filled with toxic gas was sentenced Thursday to 15 months in jail for involuntary manslaughter, the AP reports. Michelle Carter was convicted in June by...
Honolulu Takes Big Step to
Combat 'Smartphone Zombies'
Aug 1, 2017 8:43 AM CDT
Honolulu Takes Big Step to Combat 'Smartphone Zombies'
Law bans looking at smartphone, texting while crossing the street
- You won't find padded lampposts in Honolulu. That's because the Hawaiian city hopes to discourage pedestrians from "distracted walking" altogether, notably with one piece of legislation its mayor signed into law late last week, Reuters reports. Per the new mandate to combat "smartphone zombies," pedestrians...
We're Living in
the 'Age of Bailing'
Jul 7, 2017 12:07 PM CDT
We're Living in the 'Age of Bailing'
David Brooks laments how easy it is these days to blow somebody off
- The era of insta-communication via text has had an unfortunate consequence, writes David Brooks in the
New York Times
. "It's clear we're living in a golden age of bailing." By that he means it's way too easy these days for people to make a commitment,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Secret Recording of Pope Is Played in Court
Trump Says He Didn't Know White Nationalist He Dined With
Frontier Airlines Has Ditched Telephone Customer Service
He Mountain Biked an Iconic 27-Mile Trail—Uphill
They Worked on an Execution, and Suffered for It
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.