Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Suit: Biden Illegally
Oct 19, 2022 3:26 PM CDT
Suit: Biden Illegally Withholding JFK Assassination Files
'The law requires the records be released' so 'what are they hiding?' asks Robert Kennedy Jr.
- Some of the most sensitive government records related to the 1963 assassination of President John F. Kennedy are due to be released on Dec. 15 . But that's not soon enough for the Mary Ferrell Foundation, the nation's largest online source of JFK assassination records, which argues the current...
National Archivist: We Still
Don't Have Trump Staff Emails
Oct 2, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
National Archivist: We Still Don't Have Trump Staff Emails
Letter to House panel says agency will confer with Justice Department
- The National Archives and Records Administration has informed lawmakers that a number of electronic communications from Trump White House staffers remain missing, nearly two years after the administration was required to turn them over. The nation's record-keeping agency, in a letter Friday to the House Committee on Oversight and...
Aides Told National Archives
Trump Only Had News Clippings
Sep 16, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Aides Told National Archives Trump Only Had News Clippings
Former White House lawyer said his information came from Mark Meadows
- Former President Donald Trump's team assured National Archives officials a year ago that there were no classified or even sensitive documents at Mar-a-Lago—just a dozen boxes of news clippings. The claim was made by a former White House lawyer, Pat Philbin, in a phone call with Archives lawyer...
Report Puts a Number on
Trump's Classified Documents
Aug 23, 2022 6:24 AM CDT
Report Puts a Number on Trump's Classified Documents
'New York Times' says government has retrieved more than 300 in all
- The latest
New York Times
story about the FBI's Mar-a-Lago raid revolves around a key number: 300. As in, that's how many classified documents the government has retrieved in total from former President Trump since he left office. The first was a batch of 150 recovered by the...
National Archives Fact-Checks
Trump on Obama Documents
Aug 13, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
National Archives Fact-Checks Trump on Obama Documents
Agency assures that it has all Obama records
- Former President Donald Trump ran into an obstacle to his what-about deflection posted on social media while the FBI looks over documents it removed from his home, but it didn't slow him down. "President Barack Hussein Obama kept 33 million pages of documents, much of them classified,"...
Reveals More on
15 Boxes Found
Feb 19, 2022 9:45 AM CST
National Archives Reveals More on 15 Boxes Found at Mar-a-Lago
NARA: Former President Trump brought classified info with him to private Fla. estate when he left WH
- The 15 or so boxes of administration materials that former President Trump took with him to Mar-a-Lago when he left the White House had more than routine to-do lists inside. On Friday, the National Archives and Records Administration confirmed that classified records were found in those boxes, and that it'...
Biden Stymies Trump's Move
to Keep Visitor Logs Private
Feb 16, 2022 9:40 AM CST
Biden Stymies Trump's Move to Keep Visitor Logs Private
President directs National Archives to release logs to House panel investigating Jan. 6
- Donald Trump has been trying to keep various records out of the hands of the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack, but a new move from President Biden has put a wrench in one of those efforts. The
New York Times
reports that Biden has rejected Trump's assertion...
Feb 10, 2022 7:58 AM CST
Report: Archives Wants DoJ to Investigate Trump Records
Former president is accused of 'flagrant' violations of federal records law
: Former President Trump's apparent mishandling of his administration's records could be the subject of a federal investigation. Sources tell the
that the National Archives has asked the Justice Department to look into whether federal law was violated. Archives officials say 15 boxes of Trump administration...
Jan. 6 Panel
Will Be Given
Feb 2, 2022 4:50 PM CST
Jan. 6 Panel Will Be Given Pence Records
Trump is told executive privilege doesn't prevent release
- The National Archives will release records from former Vice President Mike Pence to the House committee investigating the attack on the Capitol. White House counsel Dana Remus delivered the instruction in a letter Tuesday, the Hill reports. Former President Donald Trump had written Jan. 18 to oppose the release, saying...
There's a Weird Problem
With Some of Trump's Papers
Feb 1, 2022 9:30 AM CST
There's a Weird Problem With Some of Trump's Papers
They had to be taped back together after the former president tore them up
- Some of Donald Trump's presidential papers being examined by a House panel are harder to read than others for an odd reason: They had to be taped back together after being torn into tiny pieces by the then-president. The National Archives confirmed the quirk on Monday, reports CNN . The...
Biden Puts Off
Release of JFK Files
Oct 23, 2021 5:20 PM CDT
Biden Puts Off Release of JFK Files
National archivist needs more time, White House says
- Secret files concerning the assassination of President John F. Kennedy will not be released to the public by next week after all. The national archivist asked for more time to review them, White House officials announced, blaming the delay in part on the pandemic, CBS reports. President Biden issued a...
Trump Attacks Jan. 6 Panel,
Biden in Lawsuit Over Records
Oct 18, 2021 7:50 PM CDT
Trump Attacks Jan. 6 Panel, Biden in Lawsuit Over Records
Former president tries to keep files from being released to the committee
- Accusing the House panel seeking his records related to the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol of harassment, former President Trump sued the committee and the National Archives on Monday. Jesse Binnall, a Trump attorney, wrote that the committee is harassing Trump "by sending an illegal, unfounded, and overbroad...
Jan. 6 Records
Oct 8, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
Biden Rejects Trump Request to Withhold Jan. 6 Records
Former president tells National Archives that executive privilege applies
- The White House told the National Archives on Friday that President Biden won't exert executive privilege over documents sought by the panel investigating the Capitol riot, as former President Donald Trump had requested. That leaves the National Archives free to turn over the first batch of Trump files to...
Capitol Riot Investigators
Make a Big Move
Aug 25, 2021 12:55 PM CDT
Capitol Riot Investigators Make a Big Move
Panel issues wide-ranging request for records
- The House Select Committee investigating the Capitol attack made a big move Wednesday, issuing requests for records from government agencies including the National Archives, which has custody of records from the Trump White House. A letter from committee chairman Rep. Bennie Thompson to agencies shows the investigation will be wide-ranging,...
Twitter Puts the Kibosh
on National Archives'
Plan for Trump Tweets
Apr 8, 2021 2:00 AM CDT
Twitter Puts the Kibosh on National Archives' Plan for Trump Tweets
Twitter doesn't want them on the platform ever again
- The tweets that got former President Trump booted from Twitter may be gone from the social media platform forever, despite the National Archives' desires. Twitter on Wednesday told Politico it will not allow the National Archives and Records Administration to bring the tweets that Trump posted while president from his...
National Archives: Sorry We
Doctored Anti-Trump Photo
Jan 19, 2020 5:38 AM CST
National Archives: Sorry We Doctored Anti-Trump Photo
'We made a mistake' in blurring photo from 2017 Women's March
- As the fourth Women's March took place in Washington, DC, on Saturday, the National Archive was busily apologizing for doctoring an image of the first one, saying in a statement that "we made a mistake." The agency had blurred President Trump's name out of a protest...
Feds Photoshop Pic
of Women's March
Jan 18, 2020 9:30 AM CST
Feds Photoshop Pic of Women's March
But the National Archives says it had good reason
- Visitors to the National Archives will have to fill in the blanks after officials there altered a photo of a women's rights march, the Hill reports. In fact, the Archives altered multiple signs carried by women at the Women's March in Washington, DC, the day after President Trump'...
520 Secret JFK Files
to Remain Fully Sealed
Apr 26, 2018 1:54 PM CDT
520 Secret JFK Files to Remain Fully Sealed
Trump issues a new October 2021 deadline
- The can has been kicked a little farther down the road. When President Trump in October approved the release of previously classified or redacted documents on the JFK assassination, he blocked the release of others over national security concerns and gave federal agencies 180 days to re-review the withheld documents....
CIA Files on JFK Assassination
Call Out Mexican Woman
Aug 3, 2017 9:02 AM CDT
CIA Files on JFK Assassination Call Out Mexican Woman
Politico takes a look at what's been newly released so far
- Late last month, the National Archives began to release thousands of documents related to John F. Kennedy's assassination that had been kept secret for decades. The JFK Assassination Records Collection Act of 1992 mandated the files be released 25 years later (though there's one loophole ), and as...
First Film Clip Emerges
of Japan's 'Comfort Women'
Jul 10, 2017 11:05 AM CDT
First Film Clip Emerges of Japan's 'Comfort Women'
South Korean researchers found it in the US National Archives
- It's just 18 seconds long, but a new video released by South Korean researchers makes history for the worst of reasons. The clip shows Korean "comfort women" held as sex slaves by the Japanese military, reports the BBC . It's believed to be the first such film clip...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
Black Guest Badgered by Staff Member at Palace Event
She Was Behind Some of Fleetwood Mac's Biggest Hits
Cruise Passenger Found in Gulf Was Seconds From Death
The House Elects a New Generation of Leaders
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.