Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Venezuela Frees 7 Americans
Oct 1, 2022 4:55 PM CDT
Venezuela Frees 7 Americans
Biden releases drug convicts in exchange for US detainees
- Seven Americans who were detained in Venezuela are coming home after a prisoner swap in exchange for two imprisoned members of President Nicolas Maduro's family, President Biden announced Saturday. The decision to grant clemency to the two Venezuelans, who are nephews of Maduro's wife, was made by Biden,...
Bolton: I Planned Coups, and
Trump Wasn't Capable of One
Jul 13, 2022 8:51 AM CDT
Bolton: I Planned Coups, and Trump Wasn't Capable of One
'It takes a lot of work' and 'that's not the way Donald Trump does things'
- Planning a coup d'etat "takes a lot of work," according to John Bolton. He should know "as somebody who has helped plan coups d'etat" outside of the US, the former national security adviser to President Trump told CNN on Tuesday. While it's no secret...
Venezuela Frees 2 Americans,
Including Member of 'Citgo 6'
Mar 9, 2022 12:00 AM CST
Venezuela Frees 2 Americans, Including Member of 'Citgo 6'
As Biden administration seeks to improve relations with the country
- The Venezuelan government has freed two jailed Americans, including an oil executive imprisoned alongside colleagues for more than four years, as it seeks to improve relations with the Biden administration amid Russia’s war with Ukraine, the White House announced Tuesday night. Gustavo Cardenas was released following a secret weekend...
After More Than 3 Years in
Prison, 'Citgo 6' on House Arrest
May 1, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
After More Than 3 Years in Prison, 'Citgo 6' on House Arrest
Venezuela has partially released US oil executives in 'gesture of goodwill' to Biden administration
- In November, six American oil executives were found guilty of corruption and given lengthy prison sentences in Venezuela, following a detention that had already stretched out for three years. Now, a bit of a reprieve for the "Citgo 6," in what the AP reports is a "gesture...
Scathing Report Details
Atrocities in Venezuela
Sep 16, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Scathing Report Details Atrocities in Venezuela
Experts allege crimes against humanity have been committed there since 2014
- Independent experts commissioned by the UN’s top human-rights body have alleged the government of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has committed crimes against humanity since 2014. The experts issued a scathing, in-depth report on Wednesday that said the people responsible for crimes that include extrajudicial executions, enforced disappearances, arbitrary detentions,...
Get 20 Years in Prison
Aug 8, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
Ex-Green Berets Get 20 Years in Prison
Luke Denman and Airan Berry allegedly tried to help overthrow a president
- A Venezuelan court has sentenced two former US special forces soldiers to 20 years in prison for their part in a blunder-filled beach attack aimed at overthrowing President Nicolás Maduro, the AP reports. Lawyers for the former Green Berets, Luke Denman and Airan Berry, said they were barred from...
I Launched Failed
May 4, 2020 12:52 AM CDT
Ex-Green Beret: I Launched Failed Amphibious Raid
Jordan Goudreau’s comments cap a bizarre Sunday
- A former Green Beret has taken responsibility for what he claimed was a failed attack Sunday aimed at overthrowing Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro and that the socialist government said ended with eight dead, the AP reports. Jordan Goudreau’s comments in an interview with an exiled Venezuelan journalist capped...
Venezuela Says It Fought Off
Terrorist Invasion by Boat
May 3, 2020 11:25 AM CDT
Venezuela Says It Fought Off Terrorist Invasion by Boat
'Mercenary terrorists' were killed or arrested, officials say
- Venezuelan officials said they foiled an early-morning attempt by a group of armed men to invade the country by boat on Sunday, killing eight attackers and arresting two more. Socialist party chief Diosdado Cabello said on state television that two of the attackers were being interrogated by authorities, the AP...
Trump: New Naval
Operation Is Afoot
Apr 1, 2020 5:15 PM CDT
Trump: New Naval Operation Is Afoot
The White House announces that Navy ships are moving toward Venezuela
- President Trump announced Wednesday that Navy ships are being moved toward Venezuela as his administration beefs up counter-narcotics operations in the Caribbean following a US drug indictment against Nicolás Maduro, the AP reports. The president's announcement was a break from the daily White House press briefing to discuss...
US Just Indicted
a Foreign President
Mar 26, 2020 11:28 AM CDT
US Just Indicted a Foreign President
Venezuela's Nicolas Maduro accused of flooding US with cocaine
- US prosecutors have indicted Venezuela's president and other senior government officials on charges of drug trafficking, claiming a "narco-terrorism conspiracy." The unusual move against Nicolas Maduro, the Venezuelan government, intelligence officials, and members of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia stems from a federal investigation in Washington,...
'Bizarre' Ask of
Mar 5, 2020 7:30 AM CST
Maduro Makes 'Bizarre' Ask of Venezuela's Women
Venezuelan president wants female citizens to have lots of babies 'for the good of the country'
- The Venezuelan president hasn't said much about his supposed new health-care plan for women—some aren't even sure if there even is an actual plan, notes the
—but the instructions Nicolas Maduro offered on Tuesday to female citizens generated instant backlash. "Give birth!" Maduro...
After White House Meeting,
Oil Execs Put in Caracas Prison
Feb 7, 2020 9:46 AM CST
After White House Meeting, Oil Execs Put in Caracas Prison
Top US envoy to Venezuela calls timing of move 'suspicious'
- The situation has apparently worsened for six executives from Houston-based and Venezuela-owned Citgo who have been detained without trial in Venezuela since November 2017. The
Wall Street Journal
reports Elliott Abrams, the top US envoy to the country, on Thursday said the men had been abruptly taken once more to...
Gets Into Shoving Match
Jan 5, 2020 3:00 PM CST
Venezuelan Leader Gets Into Shoving Match
Juan Guaidó is stopped from entering congress, tries to climb the fence
- Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaidó was violently blocked Sunday from presiding over a special session of congress where rivals tried to install a substitute in what was condemned as a hijacking of the country's last democratic institution, the AP reports. As a scuffle broke out with security forces in...
Report: Giuliani Involved in
'Back-Channel' Venezuela Talks
Dec 30, 2019 4:46 AM CST
Report: Giuliani Involved in 'Back-Channel' Venezuela Talks
Sources say White House officials were surprised
- Ukraine wasn't the only country where Rudy Giuliani was involved in a shadow foreign policy, according to the
. Sources tell the newspaper that President Trump's attorney was involved in back-channel negotiations to negotiate an exit for Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro as the country's crisis...
US Bars All Flights Into Cuba,
With One Exception
Oct 26, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
US Bars All Flights Into Cuba, With One Exception
Planes from United States can only go into Havana in new travel ban
- If you'd planned to travel to Cuba, you still can—but only one of the country's 10 main airports will be open starting next month. Per CBS News , at the direction of Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, the US has banned all flights to the island nation, save...
A 'Dramatic Escalation'
in US-Venezuela Tension
Aug 6, 2019 1:40 AM CDT
A 'Dramatic Escalation' in US-Venezuela Tension
Trump administration freezes Venezuelan government assets
- The Trump administration froze all Venezuelan government assets Monday in a dramatic escalation of tensions with Nicolás Maduro that places his socialist administration alongside a short list of adversaries from Cuba, North Korea, Syria, and Iran that have been targeted by aggressive US actions. The ban blocking American companies...
for Massive Blackout
Jul 23, 2019 12:10 AM CDT
Venezuela Blames 'Electromagnetic Attack' for Massive Blackout
Maduro's opponents say corruption is the real culprit
- The lights went out across much of Venezuela on Monday, reviving fears of the blackouts that plunged the country into chaos a few months ago as the government once again accused opponents of sabotaging the nation's hydroelectric power system. The power in the capital went out after 4pm and...
Shadowed' US Aircraft
Jul 22, 2019 5:33 AM CDT
Pentagon: Venezuela Jet 'Aggressively Shadowed' US Aircraft
Caracas claims it was in its airspace
- While much of Venezuela is in a state of near-collapse, its air force is still flying—and behaving aggressively, according to the US military. US Southern Command shared video Sunday of what it said was a Venezuelan SU-30 Flanker fighter jet that "aggressively shadowed" an American reconnaissance aircraft in...
Air Traffic Between
US, Venezuela Suspended
May 15, 2019 5:15 PM CDT
Air Traffic Between US, Venezuela Suspended
US cites the continuing unrest in the country
- The United States on Wednesday suspended all commercial passenger and cargo flights between the US and Venezuela, saying the political unrest and tensions there pose a risk to flights, the AP reports. The announcement by the Department of Homeland Security affected a dwindling number of flights between the two countries,...
Opposition Leader: US
Military, Are You Listening?
May 11, 2019 4:22 PM CDT
Opposition Leader: US Military, Are You Listening?
Juan Guaidó tries opening the door to new relations
- Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaidó on Saturday said he's instructed his political envoy in Washington to immediately open relations with the US military in a bid to bring more pressure on President Nicolás Maduro to resign, the AP reports. The leader said he's asked Carlos Vecchio, who...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Secret Recording of Pope Is Played in Court
Trump Says He Didn't Know White Nationalist He Dined With
Frontier Airlines Has Ditched Telephone Customer Service
He Mountain Biked an Iconic 27-Mile Trail—Uphill
They Worked on an Execution, and Suffered for It
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.