Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Year, 6 Survivors
Returned to Pearl Harbor
Dec 7, 2022 7:40 PM CST
This Year, 6 Survivors Returned to Pearl Harbor
They were joined at remembrance ceremony by thousands of members of the public
- A handful of centenarian survivors of the attack on Pearl Harbor joined about 2,500 members of the public at the scene of the Japanese bombing on Wednesday to commemorate those who perished 81 years ago. The audience sat quietly during a moment of silence at 7:55am, the same...
Sailor Finally Laid to Rest
8 Decades After Pearl Harbor
Sep 14, 2022 4:43 PM CDT
Sailor Finally Laid to Rest 8 Decades After Pearl Harbor
Forensic testing led to the identification of Bert Jacobson and nearly 400 others
- A 21-year-old sailor was laid to rest Tuesday following a decadeslong effort to identify remains pulled from Pearl Harbor, more than 80 years after he was killed in the attack that propelled the United States into World War II. Per the AP , members of Herbert "Bert" Jacobson's family...
Pearl Harbor Survivors
Gather on 80th Anniversary
Dec 7, 2021 6:07 PM CST
Pearl Harbor Survivors Gather on 80th Anniversary
Last year, they had to stay home
- A few dozen survivors of Pearl Harbor and other veterans gathered Tuesday at the site of the bombing 80 years ago to remember those killed in the attack by Japan that launched the US into World War II. The USS Chung-Hoon, a guided missile destroyer, passed in front of the...
6-Year ID Project for Victims
of USS Oklahoma Is Complete
Dec 7, 2021 11:40 AM CST
6-Year ID Project for Victims of USS Oklahoma Is Complete
92% of the victims from Pearl Harbor attack were identified, with 33 remaining 'unknowns'
- A six-year project to identify the crew members killed on the USS Oklahoma when it sank during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor has ended with 33 people still unidentified, the military revealed this week. However, 355 sailors and Marines were identified from dental records or DNA samples supplied by...
Pearl Harbor Survivors
Stayed Home This Year
Dec 7, 2020 6:03 PM CST
Pearl Harbor Survivors Stayed Home This Year
Service members gathered for scaled-back ceremony
- US servicemen and women and National Park Service officials gathered at Pearl Harbor on Monday to remember those killed in the attack—but elderly survivors stayed home to pay their respects from afar to avoid health risks from the coronavirus pandemic. The USS Arizona battleship bell rang at 7:55am,...
US Tests Weapon
That 'Redefines' War
May 24, 2020 11:45 AM CDT
US Tests Weapon That 'Redefines' War
The US Navy releases a video of the Laser Weapon System Demonstrator at work
- The US Navy says it has successfully tested a new laser weapon and has video to prove it, CNN reports. The Navy released a statement Friday with videos and images of the
, an amphibious transport dock ship, using "the first system-level implementation of a high-energy class solid-state...
Navy to Name Aircraft Carrier
for Black Pearl Harbor Hero
Jan 20, 2020 7:38 AM CST
Navy to Name Aircraft Carrier for Black Pearl Harbor Hero
Doris Miller was 1st African American to be awarded Navy Cross
- When Japanese aircraft attacked Pearl Harbor on the morning of Dec. 7, 1941, Doris "Dorie" Miller was a mess hall attendant who had been busy collecting laundry aboard the USS West Virginia. In the 90 minutes that followed, he later said, he "forgot all about" the fact that...
Why Did Ghosn Flee Japan?
He Cites a Figure: 99.4%
Jan 8, 2020 9:55 AM CST
Why Did Ghosn Flee Japan? He Cites a Figure: 99.4%
Ex-Nissan boss gives his first press conference since escaping the country
- In his first press conference given since his clandestine exit from Japan, Carlos Ghosn cleared one thing up on Wednesday: No, there's no Netflix show in the works about his dramatic exit. But Ghosn certainly brought the drama in the lengthy press conference given in Beirut, likening his November...
Report: Pearl Harbor Shooter
Used His Service Weapons
Dec 6, 2019 4:34 AM CST
Report: Pearl Harbor Shooter Used His Service Weapons
Security will be beefed up for commemoration
- Officials will beef up security for the ceremony to remember those lost in the attack on Pearl Harbor 78 years ago, with service members and dignitaries confronting a fresh tragedy after a US sailor killed two civilians , wounded another, and then turned the gun on himself at the storied military...
Sailor Kills 2 Civilians in
Pearl Harbor Shooting Spree
Dec 5, 2019 12:05 AM CST
Sailor Kills 2 Civilians in Pearl Harbor Shooting Spree
Authorities say shooter took his own life
- A sailor from the USS Columbia submarine killed two civilian workers at the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard and injured another Wednesday before taking his own life, authorities say. No motive has been identified for the shooting and it's not clear whether the sailor targeted the workers or was firing...
Oldest Military Survivor of
Pearl Harbor Dies at 106
Nov 22, 2018 8:30 AM CST
Oldest Military Survivor of Pearl Harbor Dies at 106
Ray Chavez died in his sleep Wednesday
- Ray Chavez, the oldest US military survivor of the Dec. 7, 1941, attack on Pearl Harbor, died Wednesday. He was 106. Chavez, who'd been battling pneumonia, died in his sleep in the San Diego suburb of Poway, his daughter tells the AP . The chief historian for the National Park...
Researchers Mark Death
of Pearl Harbor Mastermind
Apr 17, 2018 2:48 AM CDT
Researchers Mark Death of Pearl Harbor Mastermind
They're trekking to jungle crash site where Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto was shot down
- A group from the US and Japan is trekking to a remote Pacific island jungle to document what is considered one of the most important wreck sites of World War II: where American fighters shot down a Japanese bomber carrying the mastermind of the Pearl Harbor attack. Three members of...
Remains of Seaman
Killed at Pearl Harbor
Apr 9, 2018 12:07 PM CDT
Remains of Seaman Killed at Pearl Harbor Finally Identified
Frank Wood of Ohio will be buried Saturday
- The military says the remains of a Navy seaman from Ohio who died in the 1941 attack at Pearl Harbor during World War II have been identified, the AP reports. The Defense Department says the remains of 25-year-old Navy Seaman 2nd Class Frank Wood of Jackson, Ohio, will be buried...
Trump Visits Pearl Harbor
En Route to Asia
Nov 4, 2017 8:04 AM CDT
Trump Visits Pearl Harbor En Route to Asia
Trump, Melania left flowers at USS Arizona
- President Trump paid a solemn visit to the memorial at Pearl Harbor Friday, a sacred journey for a commander-in-chief about to depart on an Asia trip that will be shadowed by fears of another international conflict. Trump saluted after entering the USS Arizona memorial following a short boat ride with...
He Died at 30
at Pearl Harbor,
and Is Finally Home
May 22, 2017 12:05 AM CDT
He Died at 30 at Pearl Harbor, and Is Finally Home
Fred M. Jones buried with military honors in the family's Michigan cemetery plot
- A Michigan sailor killed during the attack on Pearl Harbor has been buried with military honors in the family's cemetery plot in Port Huron. More than 300 people attended Saturday's funeral services for Fred M. Jones after his casket was escorted from a Detroit-area airport, MLive.com reports....
Pearl Harbor Survivor
Is Buried In His Battleship
Apr 17, 2017 11:17 AM CDT
Pearl Harbor Survivor Is Buried In His Battleship
Raymond Haerry is laid to rest in the sunken USS Arizona
- Raymond Haerry always planned to return to Pearl Harbor, where as a young sailor he valiantly fought to save his ship, the USS Arizona, as it sank on Dec. 7, 1941, after being attacked by Japanese warplanes. Haerry never made it back to Hawaii before his death last September at...
Japan PM to Join Obama
for Historic Pearl Harbor Visit
Dec 27, 2016 12:11 AM CST
Japan PM to Join Obama for Historic Pearl Harbor Visit
Both men will lay a wreath at USS Arizona Memorial
- Putting 75 years of resentment behind them, the leaders of the United States and Japan are coming together at Pearl Harbor for a historic pilgrimage to the site where the bloodshed of the surprise attacks drew America into World War II. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's visit Tuesday with President...
After War, Japan's Leader Paid
Forgotten Visit to Pearl Harbor
Dec 26, 2016 7:39 AM CST
After War, Japan's Leader Paid Forgotten Visit to Pearl Harbor
A dog set him at ease
- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, who will visit Pearl Harbor with President Obama on Tuesday, wasn't even born when Japan's former leader Shigeru Yoshida went there just six years after the country's World War II surrender, by himself and feeling awkward. Yoshida is best remembered for signing...
75 Years After
Dec 7, 2016 8:53 AM CST
75 Years After Pearl Harbor, Brothers Will Be Reunited
4K to gather at commemoration ceremony in Hawaii
- When bombs began raining from the sky at Pearl Harbor, John Anderson—in a turret aboard the USS Arizona—thought immediately of his twin brother, Jake, on deck. It appears Jake never left his mind. Forced into a rescue boat, Anderson reached shore only to grab a spare boat and...
A Diminutive Man Bet Against
Pearl Harbor, and Won
Dec 7, 2016 6:54 AM CST
A Diminutive Man Bet Against Pearl Harbor, and Won
A look at one man who did prepare for attack on Pearl Harbor: Isoroku Yamamoto
- The man responsible for ravaging America's Navy 75 years ago this month "stood only three inches taller than five feet and weighed 130 pounds, maybe," writes Steve Twomey in a deep dive for
on how we got to the morning of Dec. 7, 1941. In roughly...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.