Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
to Dig Bills
Out of Homes
Nov 20, 2022 11:15 AM CST
Fans Mobilize to Dig Bills Out of Homes
Buffalo neighbors show up to clear players' driveways, provide transportation
- Fans showed up at the house of Spencer Brown, a right tackle, with snowblowers. Others brought shovels to the homes of tight ends Dawson Knox and Tommy Sweeney. Somebody cleared tight end Quintin Morris' driveway. Before the Buffalo Bills could fly to Detroit to play Sunday in a city that...
the 'Rattiest' City
Oct 25, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
Congrats, NYC: You're Not the 'Rattiest' City in America
Chicago takes that honor in rankings by Orkin pest control company; the Big Apple comes in 2nd
- Think "rats in the city," and many people are likely to envision the rodents who creep around in the Big Apple's alleyways and subway system. It's not New York City, though, but Chicago atop Orkin's list of the "rattiest" cities in America.
Suspect Arraigned in Killing
of Detroit Radio Anchor
Sep 26, 2022 5:52 PM CDT
Suspect Arraigned in Killing of Detroit Radio Anchor
Woman, son remain in hospital after attack
: The suspect in the attack on a family Friday that left a Detroit radio news anchor dead was arraigned Monday. Arthur Levan Williamson, 55, was denied bond at the hearing in Macomb County, ClickonDetroit reports. Williamson appeared virtually, and his attorney entered a not guilty plea for him to...
Detroit Sues Census Bureau:
Data Is 'Divorced From Reality'
Sep 20, 2022 12:38 PM CDT
Detroit Sues Census Bureau: Data Is 'Divorced From Reality'
City says agency is undercounting its residents
- Detroit sued the US Census Bureau on Tuesday over population estimates from last year that show the city lost an additional 7,100 residents, opening another front against the agency in a battle over how its people have been counted in the past two years. Mayor Mike Duggan told reporters...
Witnesses: Armed Bystander
Prevented 4th Detroit Death
Aug 30, 2022 5:14 PM CDT
Witnesses: Armed Bystander Prevented 4th Detroit Death
Gunman 'scattered like a jack rabbit' when neighbor fired shots, witness says
- A young man suspected of randomly killing three people on Detroit streets fled when an armed bystander saw him shoot a fourth person and responded with his own gunfire, witnesses told a TV station. "He scattered like a jack rabbit," Wallace Pleasant told WXYZ . Three people were killed...
3 Dead in Apparently Random
Shooting Spree in Detroit
Aug 29, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
3 Dead in Apparently Random Shooting Spree in Detroit
4th person was also shot, is in serious condition
- Over a 2 1/2-hour period in Detroit Sunday morning, a man appeared to fire randomly at people, hitting four victims—three of whom were killed. Police came to the conclusion the shootings were random because there was no link connecting any of the victims, the
reports. By Sunday...
Video of Bouncing,
Airborne Kids on
Slide Goes Viral
Aug 24, 2022 1:17 PM CDT
Video of Bouncing, Airborne Kids on Slide Goes Viral
The wax on the slide on Detroit's Belle Isle was apparently a little too fresh
- It's not every day someone describes a slide as "terrorizing," but that was the case in Detroit on Friday. The city reopened a giant decades-old slide on Belle Isle Park that had been closed during the pandemic, and video of people flying down it in burlap sacks—...
'Bullets Everywhere' as
Birthday Party Turns
Into Mass Shooting
Aug 2, 2022 8:55 AM CDT
'Bullets Everywhere' as Birthday Party Turns Into Mass Shooting
Suspect was reportedly upset that his driveway was blocked
- Partygoers were celebrating a birthday at a Detroit home. Across the street, a neighbor, upset that his driveway was being blocked, was strategically placing 11 weapons around his own home. Then he opened fire, killing two partygoers and injuring six others, including at least one critically, according to Detroit Police,...
Looking to Rent?
Your Best Bet Is Here
Jul 18, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Looking to Rent? Your Best Bet Is Here
Columbia, Md., tops WalletHub's list of best cities for renters
- There are many reasons why people may choose to rent over buying a home—but that doesn't mean renting is always an inexpensive proposition. In fact, WalletHub reports that last year, rental prices rose at nearly double the rate of any previous year. Still, there are places in the...
This Is the No.1
in the US
Jul 11, 2022 11:06 AM CDT
This Is the No.1 Stressed City in the US
Cleveland might have your stomach in knots, per WalletHub's rankings
- If you've been feeling a little overwhelmed lately, you're not alone—especially depending on where you live. WalletHub wanted to see what parts of the country were more frazzled than others, and so the site looked at more than 180 of the most populated US cities, examining more...
Here Are the Best, Worst Cities
in America to Raise a Family
May 31, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
Here Are the Best, Worst Cities in America to Raise a Family
Fremont, California, comes out on top; Detroit is last, per WalletHub
- Moving is a part of life—and for the family-oriented, it's especially critical to find a decent location to set down roots. WalletHub has tried to ease the burden by crunching the numbers in more than 180 of the country's largest cities, looking at nearly four dozen metrics...
Zoo Officials Fear Worst
for Missing Wallaby Joey
May 10, 2022 4:28 PM CDT
Zoo Officials Fear Worst for Missing Wallaby Joey
The missing joey is barely old enough to be outside its mother's pouch
- Officials at the Detroit Zoo are clinging to the last shreds of hope that they will find a wallaby joey, which vanished from the Australian Outback Adventure habitat sometime between Saturday evening and Sunday morning, according to MLive . The five-month-old joey, named Sprocket, was about the size of a baby...
Not the Loch Ness
Monster in Detroit, but
Something Else Amazing
May 7, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Not the Loch Ness Monster in Detroit, but Something Else Amazing
What may be first river otter seen in 100 years in Detroit River shows water pollution is decreasing
- "As a PhD student in marine ecology, Eric Ste Marie knew what he saw was rare." That sighting in the Detroit River last month, as described by WXYZ , is now making headlines, and it may be the first of its kind in a century. Ste Marie, a 27-year-old...
Cops Show Up at Dawn
at Ambassador Bridge
Feb 12, 2022 10:15 AM CST
Cops Show Up at Dawn at Ambassador Bridge
Trucker protest seemed to dissolve peacefully as police moved in to enforce injunction
- A tense standoff at a US-Canadian border crossing crucial to both countries' economies appeared to be dissolving peacefully Saturday as Canadian police moved in to disperse the nearly weeklong blockade, and demonstrators began leaving without resistance. Many protesters drove away from the Ambassador Bridge spanning the river between Detroit and...
While Cleaning Gun, Mom
Jan 11, 2022 2:11 AM CST
While Cleaning Gun, Mom Shoots 4-Year-Old—Twice
Child was hospitalized in critical condition, mother was arrested
- A Detroit mother told police that someone tried to grab her purse outside their apartment Friday afternoon before opening fire, and that her 4-year-old child was struck twice by bullets. By that night, however, the woman had confessed there was no robbery—police say she was actually trying to clean...
Parents of Oxford Suspect
Caught After Manhunt
Dec 4, 2021 5:30 AM CST
Parents of Oxford Suspect Caught After Manhunt
James and Jennifer Crumbley seemed 'distressed' when found in Detroit commercial building
- The parents of a teen accused of killing four students in a shooting at a Michigan high school were caught early Saturday, several hours after a prosecutor filed involuntary manslaughter charges against them, officials said. James and Jennifer Crumbley were captured in a commercial building in Detroit that housed artwork,...
A Common Housing Scam
Is Plaguing Detroit Residents
Nov 10, 2021 11:26 AM CST
A Common Housing Scam Is Plaguing Detroit Residents
Some 10% of people facing eviction there may have fallen victim to it
- The eviction notice made no sense. June Walker flat out owned her Detroit home—or so she thought. As NBC News and Outlier Media report as part of a four-month investigation, the 65-year-old is part of an increasingly common "fake landlord" scam plaguing the city that's thought to...
Report Goes Viral
Oct 15, 2021 2:07 PM CDT
Journalist's Skateboarding Report Goes Viral
Detroit's Victor Williams gives it a personal touch
- A new skate park in Detroit is offering free lessons, and suddenly a
of people know about it. The reason? WDIV journalist Victor Williams' report from the skate park has gone viral—because he delivered it live while showing off his own skateboarding skills, reports the
Man Who Pleaded With City
for Speed Bump Hit by Truck
Aug 25, 2021 2:38 PM CDT
Man Who Pleaded With City for Speed Bump Hit by Truck
Aaron Dome repeatedly warned Detroit about people speeding near his home
- Aaron Dome repeatedly asked the city to install speed bumps on his street on Detroit's east side. He took videos and reported hundreds of speeding drivers to authorities, but his requests were rejected on grounds including the area's crash history. Last month, he became part of that history...
Michigan Man Rushes Into
Burning House to Save Babies
Jul 31, 2021 12:25 PM CDT
Michigan Man Rushes Into Burning House to Save Babies
Ray Lucas suffered third-degree burns, but the girls will be okay
- A Michigan dad didn’t hesitate to run into a burning house, and that saved his daughters’ lives. Ray Lucas came home from running a quick errand with his partner, Shi’Ann Brown, to find his house on fire and his mother and niece panicking at the front door,
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
AMC Networks Is Having a Rough Day
Oath Keepers Founder Guilty of Seditious Conspiracy
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.