Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
It's Going to Be a Wet
and Wintry Holiday Week
Nov 21, 2023 7:49 AM CST
It's Going to Be a Wet and Wintry Holiday Week
Storm system ahead of Thanksgiving to bring rain, snow across US amid expected record travel
- The Thanksgiving holiday week looks to be back in full force, with a record number of travelers expected both on the road and in the air—despite a weather forecast set to bring travel snarls across a good part of the United States. The AP reports that the Transportation Security...
Meaning of Rare Precipitation
Feb 26, 2023 5:00 PM CST
Californians Debate Meaning of Rare Precipitation
National Weather Service weighs in on Hollywood sign's coating while people soak up the beauty
- In the middle of coping with a historic winter storm , Californians paused to debate what, exactly, they were seeing. Was that snow that was falling? Maybe hail? Or something tougher to pronounce? After seeing lightning and hearing a rumble, Danny Cullenward decided it was what he'd experienced in his...
Feb 25, 2023 8:30 AM CST
California Pummeled by Rain, Snow, Frigid Temps
Meanwhile, Michigan is hit by its own winter woes
- A powerful winter storm lashing California threatened floods, blizzards, and avalanches Saturday while adding frigid temperatures to the misery mix. Overnight lows could drop below freezing in some areas, while downtown San Francisco could see record-breaking cold temperatures Saturday morning, according to the National Weather Service. Projected temperatures of 38...
Hasn't Peaked Yet
Feb 22, 2023 7:30 PM CST
Widespread Storm Hasn't Peaked Yet
System to deliver cold and ice on its way east
- A brutal winter storm knocked out power in California and the Midwest, closed interstate highways from Arizona to Wyoming and prompted more than 1,500 flight cancellations Wednesday—and the worst won't be over for several days. Few places were untouched by the wild weather, some at the opposite...
Austin City Manager Fired
Over Ice Storm Response
Feb 16, 2023 4:56 AM CST
Austin City Manager Fired Over Ice Storm Response
Winter storm left more than 100K without power for days
- Austin City Manager Spencer Cronk has been fired amid public anger over the city's slow response to an ice storm that left more than 100,000 people without power for days earlier this month—but a hefty severance package might soften the blow. Cronk, who was appointed in 2018,...
The Ice Man Groundeth
1K Flights in Texas
Jan 31, 2023 11:25 AM CST
The Ice Man Groundeth 1K Flights in Texas
Southwest is not having a particularly cheery day again
- Winter weather brought ice to Texas and nearby states Tuesday, causing the cancellation of more than 1,300 flights and delaying nearly as many more. Numerous auto collisions were reported in Austin, with at least one fatality. In Travis County, Texas, which includes Austin, police and sheriff’s deputies have...
California's Volatile Weather
Isn't Over Yet
Jan 9, 2023 10:45 AM CST
California's Volatile Weather Isn't Over Yet
Governor warns deadly rain and winds may be worse this week
- Californians steeled Monday for the latest of a series of powerful storms that have shuttered schools, toppled trees, flooded roads, and left tens of thousands without power. The National Weather Service warned of a "relentless parade of atmospheric rivers"—storms that are long plumes of moisture stretching out...
After Buffalo Storm, Complaints
of 'Embarrassing' Response
Dec 29, 2022 11:23 AM CST
After Buffalo Storm, Complaints of 'Embarrassing' Response
County executive calls out the mayor, who suggests his critic is too stressed
- In Buffalo, the driving ban is now lifted, the region's death toll from its historic blizzard has risen to 37, and the snow has stopped falling. The blame game, however, appears to be just starting. Amid questions about how Buffalo, of all places, has been so slow to dig...
Lost Loved Ones
Trapped in Cars
Dec 28, 2022 10:40 AM CST
In Buffalo, Helpless Families Lost Loved Ones Trapped in Cars
3 storm victims died in their cars, says an Erie County official
- There are tales of amazing rescues out of Buffalo , but also stories of the other type: the tragic deaths of people who became stuck in their cars and couldn't be rescued amid a historic blizzard. NBC News has the stories of families who are mourning lost loved ones. Stasia...
Buffalo-Area Couple Takes in
Bus of Stranded Tourists
Dec 27, 2022 8:58 AM CST
Buffalo-Area Couple Takes in Bus of Stranded Tourists
Survival stories emerge from city slammed by blizzard of historic proportions
- In almost every story about Buffalo's blizzard—perhaps the worst in city history —is a quote along these lines: “I’ve lived here my whole life, and this is the worst storm I’ve ever seen." That one is from 48-year-old Trisha LoGrasso, who has been...
In Buffalo, First Responders
Had to Save Fellow
Dec 26, 2022 2:55 PM CST
In Buffalo, First Responders Had to Save Fellow First Responders
'When the rescuers have to be rescued, I'm not certain what else we could have done,' official says
- The 2022 holiday season will be remembered throughout much of the US for a massive storm and Arctic blast, but Buffalo may have been hit hardest of all. According to the
New York Times
, conditions there were so bad over the weekend that rescuers needed rescuing, not to mention thousands...
As Snow Buries
US, Japan Faces
Similar Deadly Plight
Dec 26, 2022 11:00 AM CST
As Snow Buries US, Japan Faces Similar Deadly Plight
At least 17 are dead, dozens injured in large portions of the nation
- Heavy snow in large swaths of Japan has killed 17 and injured more than 90 people and left hundreds of homes without power, disaster management officials said Monday. Powerful winter fronts have dumped heavy snow in northern regions since last week, stranding hundreds of vehicles on highways, delaying delivery services,...
Dec 24, 2022 11:26 AM CST
12 Dead, 2M Without Power Across US
This winter storm is relentless
- A battering winter storm left nearly 2 million homes and businesses without power across the United States on Saturday, as millions more people were left to worry how the prospect of further outages would effect holiday and travel plans. The blinding blizzards, freezing rain, and frigid cold that enveloped much...
US Is No Joke
Dec 23, 2022 8:18 AM CST
Megastorm Slamming US Is No Joke
Holiday travel is disrupted, experts warn of frostbite, and lizards may soon start falling in the South
- Temperatures are plummeting rapidly around the nation in what could be one of the coldest Christmases in memory. NBC News reports that 200 million people in the US, or around 60% of the population, have been hit with a weather warning or advisory. The National Weather Service notes that the...
How to Prepare Your Home
for a Rapid Temperature Drop
Dec 22, 2022 11:05 AM CST
How to Prepare Your Home for a Rapid Temperature Drop
Protecting the pipes is essential
- Temperatures across the US are dropping hard and fast as a massive cold front rolls across the nation, and authorities are urging people to be ready for conditions like those seen in Cheyenne, Wyoming, where the temperature dropped a record 40 degrees in just 30 minutes on Wednesday afternoon. Over...
a Merry Little
Dec 22, 2022 6:34 AM CST
Have Yourselves a Merry Little 'Bomb Cyclone'
Rapid temperature drops, wind chills as low as -70 expected into holiday weekend
- Parts of the US are in for "the coldest Christmas in four decades," the BBC reports, noting a "once-in-a-generation" cold snap will evolve into a "bomb cyclone" ahead of the holiday weekend, throwing a wrench in travel plans for millions of Americans. A bomb cyclone—a...
Blast of Frigid Weather
Set to Snarl Holiday Travel
Dec 20, 2022 6:13 PM CST
Blast of Frigid Weather Set to Snarl Holiday Travel
Some areas will see blizzard conditions on the first day of winter
- A large swath of the US braced for a dangerous mix of sub-zero temperatures, howling winds, and blizzard conditions scheduled to arrive Wednesday and disrupt plans for millions of holiday travelers. The blast of frigid weather landing on the first day of winter and lingering through Christmas will initially hammer...
Storm System Lashes
Huge Area of Central US
Dec 13, 2022 8:12 PM CST
Storm System Lashes Huge Area of Central US
It brought tornadoes to Oklahoma and Texas, blizzard threat to Plains region
- A massive storm blowing across the country spawned tornadoes that wrecked homes and injured a handful of people in parts of Oklahoma and Texas, including the Dallas-Fort Worth area, as much of the central United States from the Rocky Mountains to the Midwest braced for blizzard-like conditions. An area stretching...
Winter Storm Will
Be 'Coast to Coast,
Top to Bottom'
Dec 12, 2022 3:32 PM CST
Winter Storm Will Be 'Coast to Coast, Top to Bottom'
After battering West Coast, system is set to dump snow on Plains, Midwest
- Americans in the lower 48 states who haven't already been affected by a massive winter storm making its way across the country should brace for some wild weather, forecasters say. A storm system that hit the West over the weekend will "bring significant, widespread weather hazards from severe...
Atmospheric 'Bowling Ball'
Hits California, Rolls On
Dec 12, 2022 12:49 AM CST
Atmospheric 'Bowling Ball' Hits California, Rolls On
And storm is heading across the country
- An atmospheric river that's also being described as an atmospheric "bowling ball" hit California over the weekend, dumping heavy snow in the Sierra Nevada and more than 7 inches of rain in some parts of southern California, and triggering flood watches across large portions of the state and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.