Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Microsoft Closes One of Tech's
Oct 13, 2023 8:37 AM CDT
Microsoft Closes One of Tech's Biggest Acquisitions
Company's massive $69B deal to buy 'Call of Duty' maker Activision Blizzard is approved
- Microsoft has completed its acquisition of video game-maker Activision Blizzard for $69 billion, closing one of the most expensive tech acquisitions in history that could have repercussions across the video game industry, per the AP . The notice that the deal has gone through came seven hours after Microsoft got final...
Microsoft's $69B Activision
Deal Gets a Breather
Jul 19, 2023 10:04 AM CDT
Microsoft's $69B Activision Deal Gets a Breather
Deadline to close acquisition with game maker is extended until Oct. 18
- The deadline for Microsoft's $69 billion acquisition of video game company Activision Blizzard has been extended as the companies seek to close a deal that has been vexed by US regulators, as well as by UK's Competition and Markets Authority. Microsoft believes that pushing back the deadline to...
After Ruling in Big Case,
Activision Jumps 10%
Jul 11, 2023 4:00 PM CDT
After Ruling in Big Case, Activision Jumps 10%
Other winners Tuesday included Salesforce, Amazon
- Stocks closed higher on Wall Street Tuesday as investors waited for updates on inflation and corporate profits. The S&P 500 rose 29.73, or 0.7%, to 4,439.26. The Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 317.02 points, or 0.9%, to 34,261.42, and the Nasdaq...
Judge Rejects FTC Move to Halt
$69B Microsoft-Activision Deal
Jul 11, 2023 11:13 AM CDT
Judge Rejects FTC Move to Halt $69B Microsoft-Activision Deal
With clock ticking to get the deal closed, court hands Microsoft a major victory
- A federal judge has handed Microsoft a major victory by declining to block its looming $69 billion takeover of video game company Activision Blizzard. US District Judge Jacqueline Scott Corley said in a ruling that the Federal Trade Commission "has not shown a likelihood it will prevail on its...
FTC Sues to Block
Massive Tech Deal
Jun 12, 2023 5:11 PM CDT
FTC Sues to Block Massive Tech Deal
Agency seeks injunction to stop Microsoft's $69B Activision takeover
- The Federal Trade Commission has sued to block Microsoft from completing its deal to buy video game company Activision Blizzard, the latest antitrust challenge to the proposed merger but one that could hasten its conclusion. The FTC's Monday filing in a federal court in San Francisco seeks a restraining...
UK Just Nixed the Biggest
Tech Deal in History
Apr 26, 2023 8:15 AM CDT
UK Just Nixed the Biggest Tech Deal in History
Microsoft's $69B attempt to buy video game maker Activision scuttled over fears of stifling competition
- British regulators have blocked Microsoft's $69 billion deal to buy video game maker Activision Blizzard over worries that it would stifle competition in the cloud gaming market. The UK's Competition and Markets Authority said in its final report Wednesday that "the only effective remedy" to the significant...
FTC Sues to Block Microsoft's
Takeover of Activision Blizzard
Dec 8, 2022 4:15 PM CST
FTC Sues to Block Microsoft's Takeover of Activision Blizzard
But Microsoft has good shot of winning a legal challenge
- The Federal Trade Commission said Thursday it is suing to block Microsoft’s planned $69 billion takeover of video game company Activision Blizzard, saying it could suppress competitors to its Xbox game consoles and its growing games subscription business. The FTC voted 3-1 to issue the complaint after a closed-door...
Apr 30, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
Berkshire Shareholders Receive Update in Person
Buffett discusses new investments, inflation
- Thousands of Berkshire Hathaway shareholders returned in person Saturday for their annual meeting heard Warren Buffett update them about investments and rail about the widespread harm inflation is doing. The pandemic had prevented the gathering in Omaha for the past two years. After earlier saying that inflation "swindles" equity...
Microsoft Goes Shopping,
Will Be No. 3 Gaming Company
Jan 18, 2022 9:55 AM CST
Microsoft Goes Shopping, Will Be No. 3 Gaming Company
At least by revenue; firm is buying Activision Blizzard
- Microsoft is buying the gaming company Activision Blizzard for $68.7 billion, gaining access to blockbuster games like
Call of Duty
. The all-cash deal will let Microsoft, maker of the Xbox gaming system, accelerate mobile gaming and provide building blocks for the metaverse, or a virtual environment,...
Employees Walk Out
After Damning Report
Nov 17, 2021 1:55 AM CST
Activision Blizzard Employees Walk Out After Damning Report
CEO Bobby Kotick allegedly knew about sexual misconduct allegations for years
- Activision Blizzard employees staged a walk-out Tuesday after a damning report about the videogame company's CEO came out. Robert "Bobby" Kotick knew about allegations of sexual misconduct at the company for years and tried to keep things hush-hush, sources tell the
Wall Street Journal
. Since the lawsuit filed...
Video Game Developer Faces
Mutiny Over Lawsuit Response
Jul 27, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Video Game Developer Faces Mutiny Over Lawsuit Response
2K sign letter demanding Activision Blizzard seriously evaluate harassment claims
- More than 2,000 current and former Activision Blizzard employees have signed a letter to management saying its response to a lawsuit alleging widespread sexual harassment and discrimination is "abhorrent and insulting." A week-old complaint filed by the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing following a two-year...
State Sues Video Game Giant
Over 'Frat Boy' Culture
Jul 22, 2021 11:10 AM CDT
State Sues Video Game Giant Over 'Frat Boy' Culture
Women faced relentless sexual harassment at Activision Blizzard, suit states
- According to a lawsuit from labor regulators in California, video game giant Activision Blizzard is a great place to work—for sexist men. The lawsuit accuses the Call of Duty and World of Warcraft maker of fostering "a pervasive 'frat boy' workplace culture that continues to thrive,"...
CEO's COVID-19 Move: Give
His Number to 10K Workers
Apr 15, 2020 12:50 PM CDT
CEO's COVID-19 Move: Give His Number to 10K Workers
Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick said he's heard from a few hundred of them
- The CEO of the company behind video game mega-hits like
Call of Duty
World of Warcraft
has a 10,000-strong staff reporting to him. And now they all have his personal phone number. Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick told CNBC on Tuesday that he provided them with his digits...
Gamer Who Cried 'Revolution!'
Has Punishment Reduced
Oct 12, 2019 9:30 AM CDT
Gamer Who Cried 'Revolution!' Has Punishment Reduced
Ng 'blitzchung' Wai Chung was initially suspended for a year
- Activision Blizzard is easing up on a pro video game player who voiced support for Hong Kong protesters—but the company didn't exactly apologize, the
reports. Suspended at first for a year and stripped of prize money, Ng "blitzchung" Wai Chung will get to keep his...
Backlash Over Barring Player
Hits Big Game Maker
Oct 11, 2019 2:27 PM CDT
Backlash Over Barring Player Hits Big Game Maker
Activision Blizzard accounts are canceled over action against Hong Kong supporter
- Video game maker Activision Blizzard is paying for barring a Hong Kong player who shouted support for the pro-democracy demonstrators last weekend. Gamers are calling for a boycott, the company is taking a beating on social media, and the stock price is down almost 4% this week, CBS News reports....
Candy Crush Maker
Bought for $5.9B
Nov 3, 2015 6:11 AM CST
Candy Crush Maker Bought for $5.9B
Activision says deal will give boost to mobile games
- The US video game maker that brought you "Call of Duty/" and "World of Warcraft" says it will buy the maker of "Candy Crush" for $5.9 billion in what the
calls "the biggest takeover of a UK tech company in four years." Activision...
No More World
Aug 29, 2012 8:36 AM CDT
No More World of Warcraft for Iran
Blizzard shuts down game to comply with sanctions
- How punishing are US sanctions on Iran? Ask the nation's nerds, many of whom have now been cut off from their drug of choice: World of Warcraft. Last week Iranian players discovered they suddenly couldn't access the popular MMO, the
reports. Blizzard eventually revealed, in a battle....
Call of Duty
Game to Test
May 31, 2011 11:17 AM CDT
Call of Duty
Game to Test Monthly Subscription
Players will have choice of paying fee for extra content
- The maker of the wildly popular
Call of Duty
video game plans to test just how dedicated its players are. In an industry first, Activision Blizzard will launch a monthly subscription fee this fall for gamers who want extra content that does not come with the $60 game, reports the...
Feb 10, 2011 2:59 AM CST
Gig is over for former hit game
- Activision's former smash hit has gone from hero to zero. The company says
—which earned it more than $1 billion just 2 years ago—is being discontinued. Members of the Guitar Hero team will be among some 500 Activision employees to be laid off, the
Los Angeles Times
Call of Duty
Obliterates Sales Record
Nov 12, 2010 1:16 PM CST
Call of Duty
Game Obliterates Sales Record
Sells 5.6 million copies on first day
- Last year, the release of the video game
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
smashed all first-day sales records and astounded industry watchers. This year, the latest release in the franchise—
—has one-upped that feat. In the first 24 hours, it sold 5.6 million copies and earned...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.