Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Voting 95-1, Senate Backs
Sweden, Finland Joining NATO
Aug 3, 2022 7:10 PM CDT
Voting 95-1, Senate Backs Sweden, Finland Joining NATO
McConnell had lobbied Republicans, saying a larger alliance will make US safer
- Russian aggression helped bring Republicans and Democrats together on Wednesday, as the Senate voted 95-1 to endorse letting Finland and Sweden join NATO. A two-thirds vote would have been sufficient, but Minority Leader Mitch McConnell had been lobbying his members, the
New York Times
reports. Since Russia invaded Ukraine, McConnell...
Hawley to Vote
Aug 1, 2022 5:37 PM CDT
Hawley to Vote Against Letting Sweden, Finland Into NATO
GOP senator argues US should focus less on Europe, more on China
- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said last week that the US "would be fortunate to have two new treaty allies as impressive and capable as Finland and Sweden." On Monday, one of his Republican colleagues said he won't support the two countries joining NATO, per the Hill...
First 2 Countries Ratify
Finland, Sweden NATO Bids
Jul 6, 2022 6:35 PM CDT
First 2 Countries Ratify Finland, Sweden NATO Bids
Canada, Denmark legislatures approved historic move
- All 30 NATO members have formally signed off on Sweden and Finland's historic bid to join the alliance , and the next step is expected to be a time-consuming one—but not in Canada. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the country has become the first to ratify accession protocols for...
Russia, China Slam NATO
Over Summit Remarks
Jun 30, 2022 4:29 AM CDT
Russia, China Slam NATO Over Summit Remarks
Alliance declared Russia 'direct threat'
- NATO faced rebukes from Moscow and Beijing on Thursday after it declared Russia a "direct threat" and said China posed "serious challenges" to global stability. The Western military alliance was wrapping up a summit in Madrid, where it issued a stark warning that the world has been plunged...
NATO to Make Its Biggest
Expansion in Decades
Jun 29, 2022 9:05 AM CDT
NATO to Make Its Biggest Expansion in Decades
Finland and Sweden are formally invited to join
- Sweden and Finland are one big step closer to joining NATO, which on Wednesday formalized its invitation to the two countries. The next step is for the 30 member states' parliaments and legislatures to ratify the decision, which is expected to move forward quickly, though the full process could take...
At NATO Summit, a Biting
Description of Russia
Jun 29, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
At NATO Summit, a Biting Description of Russia
Russia called 'most significant and direct threat'
- NATO declared Russia the "most significant and direct threat" to its members’ peace and security, as the military alliance met Wednesday to confront what NATO’s chief called the biggest security crisis since World War II. The leaders are also set to publish NATO’s new Strategic Concept, its...
Turkey Drops Objection to
Finland, Sweden Joining NATO
Jun 28, 2022 9:28 PM CDT
Turkey Drops Objection to Finland, Sweden Joining NATO
Alliance leader hails 'historic decision'
: Turkey agreed Tuesday to lift its opposition to Sweden and Finland joining NATO, ending an impasse that had clouded a leaders’ summit opening in Madrid amid Europe’s worst security crisis in decades, triggered by the war in Ukraine. After urgent top-level talks with leaders of the three countries,...
'In an Unpredictable World,'
US Leads NATO Exercise
Jun 5, 2022 2:05 PM CDT
'In an Unpredictable World,' US Leads NATO Exercise
Sweden, Finland take part in 7K-personnel drill
- NATO kicked off nearly a two-week, US-led naval exercise on the Baltic Sea on Sunday with more than 7,000 sailors, airmen, and marines from 16 nations, including two aspiring to join the military alliance, Finland and Sweden. The annual BALTOPS naval exercise, initiated in 1972, is not held in...
Russia Controls 20%
of Ukraine: Zelensky
Jun 2, 2022 5:17 PM CDT
Russia Controls 20% of Ukraine: Zelensky
US admits to conducting offensive cyber operations to aid Ukraine
- After nearly 100 days of fighting, Russia holds one-fifth of Ukraine, President Volodymyr Zelensky said Thursday. In a video address to the Parliament of Luxembourg, he said the battle is being waged from Kharkiv in the nation's northeast to Mykolaiv in the south, a distance of more than 1,...
Pay Gas Company
in Rubles. Russia
May 21, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Finland Won't Pay Gas Company in Rubles. Russia Hits Back
Gazprom has cut off supply of gas to Nordic nation
- Things were already tense between Russia and Finland after the latter nation applied for NATO membership this week, and a new move by the former isn't going to alleviate that tension. Due to crippling sanctions against its central bank because of its invasion of Ukraine, Russia has asked customers...
Apply to Join NATO
May 18, 2022 6:02 AM CDT
Finland, Sweden Apply to Join NATO
Spurred by Russian invasion of Ukraine, countries make big move
- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said Wednesday that the military alliance stands ready to seize a historic moment and move quickly on allowing Finland and Sweden to join its ranks, after the two countries submitted their membership requests. The official applications, handed over by Finland's and Sweden's ambassadors...
Sweden: We Want
to Join NATO, Too
May 16, 2022 8:58 AM CDT
Sweden: We Want to Join NATO, Too
Government, like Finland's, will apply for membership
- Sweden's prime minister announced Monday that Sweden will join Finland in seeking NATO membership in the wake of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, a historic shift that comes after more than 200 years of military nonalignment in the Nordic country, per the AP . The move, which is likely to...
Finland Makes Bid
for NATO Official
May 15, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
Finland Makes Bid for NATO Official
Sweden's ruling party reverses on opposition to joining alliance
- NATO moved closer to expansion on Sunday, as Finland confirmed its intention to apply for membership and Sweden's ruling party dropped its opposition to that nation joining. Both countries have long been militarily nonaligned, and NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said their joining the organization will constitute a "...
Finland Takes Big Step
Toward Joining NATO
May 12, 2022 5:54 AM CDT
Finland Takes Big Step Toward Joining NATO
President, PM say country needs to apply to join alliance 'without delay'
- After staying neutral during the Cold War and remaining nonaligned for decades afterward, Finland is on the brink of joining NATO. In a joint statement Thursday, Prime Minister Sanna Marin and President Sauli Niinisto said the country needs to apply to join the alliance "without delay," the
Don't Join NATO,
Apr 11, 2022 5:11 PM CDT
Don't Join NATO, Russia Warns Finland, Sweden
Both nations are conducting reviews in light of the invasion of Ukraine
- With polls showing public support for the move has nearly doubled in both countries since the invasion of Ukraine, Sweden and Finland are talking about joining NATO. Don't do that, Russia warned Monday. "The alliance remains a tool geared towards confrontation," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters,...
NATO Says Up to
15K Russian Troops
Dead in Ukraine
Mar 23, 2022 3:30 PM CDT
NATO Says Up to 15K Russian Troops Dead in Ukraine
High end of estimate equals Soviet toll from 10 years of war in Afghanistan
- NATO estimated on Wednesday that 7,000 to 15,000 Russian soldiers have been killed in four weeks of war in Ukraine, where fierce fighting by the country's fast-moving defenders has denied Moscow the lightning victory it sought. By way of comparison, Russia lost about 15,000 troops over...
Biden Heads to Europe for
'Giant Meeting of NATO'
Mar 23, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
Biden Heads to Europe for 'Giant Meeting of NATO'
New sanctions against Russia are expected
- President Biden is headed to Europe Wednesday for a four-day trip that has Russia and the Ukraine at its nexus. As national security adviser Jake Sullivan put it to reporters on Tuesday, per the AP , "This war will not end easily or rapidly. For the past few months, the...
Mar 22, 2022 1:15 PM CDT
Putin's Goal: Avoid Being 'Jailed, Exiled or Killed'
Russia's president is unlikely to compromise with Ukraine, analysts say
- The media has reported on peace talks between Ukraine and Russia—including fresh headlines just this weekend—but as Vladimir Putin targets Ukrainian civilians in a ruthless assault, he seems unlikely to cede ground at the bargaining table. "Putin's own penchant for risk and the patterns evident in...
UN Estimates Civilian Toll
Mar 20, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
UN Estimates Civilian Toll
Agency says more than 70 children have been killed in attack on Ukraine
- The fighting in Ukraine has killed at least 900 civilians so far, the United Nations human rights agency estimated Sunday. A statement said that 1,459 were reported injured, and that those killed included 179 men, 134 women, 11 girls, and 25 boys, per CNN . Another 39 children and 514...
4 US Troops Die During
NATO Exercise in Norway
Mar 19, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
4 US Troops Die During NATO Exercise in Norway
Cold Response exercise unrelated to war in Ukraine, Norway's PM says
- Four US soldiers were killed in a plane crash in a Norwegian town in the Arctic Circle during a NATO exercise unrelated to the Ukraine war, Norway's prime minister said Saturday. Jonas Gahr Stoere tweeted that they were killed in the crash on Friday night. The cause was under...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Cause of Death Revealed
Fetterman Camp Strikes Gold With Dr. Oz's Crudite Video
Traveler Receives Interesting 'Meal' After Asking for Vegan
College Students' Road Trip Ends in Deadly Shootout
After Botched 'Big Moment,' CDC Leader to Make Changes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.