Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Disney Is Going
Big With Park
Nov 20, 2023 10:25 AM CST
Disney Is Going Big With Park Expansions
'Frozen' attraction opens in Hong Kong as part of a $60B expansion over a decade
- Hong Kong's Disneyland opened its first
-themed attraction on Monday, with thousands of eager visitors turning up to experience the new rides, some lining up for hours to get an early start. Based on Disney's wildly popular
animated film, the new section of the park features landscapes...
US Lawmaker Gets Good News
After Hong Kong Gun Arrest
Oct 30, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
US Lawmaker Gets Good News After Hong Kong Gun Arrest
Case against Washington state's Jeff Wilson dismissed
- A Hong Kong court dismissed a gun charge Monday against a Washington state senator who had been arrested after he carried a gun into the Chinese territory in what he called an "honest mistake." Principal Magistrate Don So approved the arrangement for a bind-over order rather than a...
Want to Live Where the
Cool Kids Are? Try Here
Oct 28, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
Want to Live Where the Cool Kids Are? Try Here
'Time Out' does a global neighborhood ranking
- In every city, locals know where the hot spots are: the best eateries, the hippest watering holes, the most happening cultural events.
has posted its sixth annual roundup of the coolest neighborhoods in the world, based on input from more than 12,000 city dwellers and input from...
Cocaine in Wheelchair Could
Get Man Life Sentence
Oct 16, 2023 6:15 PM CDT
Cocaine in Wheelchair Could Get Man Life Sentence
Hong Kong customs agents found 24 pounds of suspected cocaine in wheelchair cushions
- Authorities in Hong Kong say an airline passenger's wheelchair was packed with enough suspected cocaine to get him a potential life sentence. The
South China Morning Post
reports that the 51-year-old passenger, who has mobility issues, flew with the motorized wheelchair as one of his items of checked baggage....
Skipped School to
Rob Luxury Store
Sep 14, 2023 1:06 PM CDT
Cops: 10-Year-Old Skipped School to Rob Luxury Store
Boy is youngest member of gang that allegedly raided watch store in Hong Kong
- A 10-year-old boy in Hong Kong is one of four people arrested over a robbery at a luxury watch store. Police say 20 watches worth a total of almost $500,000 in US dollars were stolen in the Monday robbery in Kowloon's Tsim Sha Tsui district, RTHK reports. A...
Floods Hong Kong
Sep 8, 2023 4:22 AM CDT
Record Rainfall Floods Hong Kong
More than 6 inches fell in a single hour
- Heavy rain in Hong Kong and southern China overnight flooded city streets and some subway stations, with hundreds evacuated and two deaths reported in Hong Kong. Hong Kong authorities said during a joint news conference Friday that the extreme weather was expected to last until at least midnight, with widespread...
French Daredevil Falls
to Death in Hong Kong
Jul 31, 2023 3:13 PM CDT
French Daredevil Falls to Death in Hong Kong
Remi Lucidi, 30, had knocked on 68th-floor window for help
- A French climber was killed last week, apparently in a fall from the 68th floor of a skyscraper in Hong Kong, according to police and local media reports. Remi Lucidi, who used the name Remi Enigma in chronicling his daredevil exploits on Instagram , was last seen knocking on the window...
Hong Kong Leader:
Will Be 'Pursued for Life'
Jul 4, 2023 12:49 PM CDT
Hong Kong Leader: Pro-Democracy Activists Will Be 'Pursued for Life'
US, UK governments slam threat to activists now living overseas
- Hong Kong's leader said Tuesday said eight pro-democracy activists who now live in the United States, Britain, Canada, and Australia will be pursued for life for alleged national security offenses, dismissing criticism that the move was a dangerous precedent. Chief Executive John Lee expressed his support for the police'...
Hong Kongers Hold
First Protest in Years
Mar 27, 2023 7:10 PM CDT
Hong Kongers Hold First Protest in Years
Strict rules included cap on numbers, numbered tags for all marchers
- Dozens of people on Sunday joined Hong Kong's first authorized protest since the lifting of major COVID-19 restrictions under unprecedentedly strict rules, including wearing a numbered badge around their necks. The rules set out by the police, who cited security reasons, came as the financial hub was promoting its...
Winnie the Pooh
Slasher Film Pulled
From HK Cinemas
Mar 21, 2023 7:35 PM CDT
Winnie the Pooh Slasher Film Pulled From HK Cinemas
Censorship may be to blame
- Public screenings of a slasher film that features Winnie the Pooh were scrapped abruptly in Hong Kong on Tuesday, sparking discussions over increasing censorship in the city. Film distributor VII Pillars Entertainment announced on Facebook that the release of
Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey
on Thursday had been canceled...
Hong Kong Lifts
After 959 Days
Feb 28, 2023 8:47 PM CST
Hong Kong Lifts Mask Mandate After 959 Days
Chief executive says city is 'resuming normalcy'
- Hong Kongers traveling to work Wednesday morning might see something unusual—each other's unmasked faces. Chief Executive John Lee said Tuesday that as of the next day, the city would no longer require masks to be worn on public transport or in outdoor and indoor public areas, the
Gruesome Discovery Ends
Search for Missing Model
Feb 26, 2023 8:30 AM CST
Gruesome Discovery Ends Search for Missing Model
Dismembered body of Abby Choi found in Hong Kong; ex-husband, in-laws are arrested
- Days after a model was reported missing in Hong Kong, police have made a grisly discovery and arrested her ex and three former in-laws. Authorities say they discovered parts of 28-year-old Abby Choi's body in a rented apartment, along with an electric saw and other equipment that might typically...
Babies Is Back
Feb 21, 2023 8:53 AM CST
Man Behind Gene-Edited Babies Is Back
He Jiankui aims to study gene therapy for Duchenne muscular dystrophy in Hong Kong
- A Chinese scientist who set off an ethical debate five years ago with claims that he made the world’s first genetically edited babies said Tuesday that he hopes to research rare hereditary diseases in Hong Kong, per the AP . He Jiankui shocked the world in 2018 when he announced...
Sells for $3.2M
Feb 15, 2023 12:27 PM CST
License Plate Reading 'R' Sells for $3.2M
'R' plate in Hong Kong is considered lucky: CNN
- A Hong Kong resident hoping to find good fortune in the new year just paid $3.2 million for a personalized license plate boasting a single lucky letter. The "R" license plate sold in a Lunar New Year auction hosted by the Transportation Department on Sunday fetched the second-highest...
Hong Kong Has a New
'Dangerous Drug': CBD
Feb 1, 2023 1:50 PM CST
Hong Kong Has a New 'Dangerous Drug': CBD
The possession, use, and sale of it is now criminalized
- Elsewhere in the world, a loosening of drug laws—and a big tightening. The latter refers to Hong Kong, which as of Wednesday now criminalizes the possession, consumption, and selling of the "dangerous drug" cannabidiol, or CBD. As CBS News notes, that means CBD has the same classification as...
Butcher Fatally Injured
After Pig Wakes Up
Jan 23, 2023 12:13 PM CST
Butcher Fatally Injured After Pig Wakes Up
Hong Kong slaughterhouse worker was injured by his own cleaver
- A butcher in a Hong Kong slaughterhouse was killed, apparently by his own cleaver, after a pig that he had shot with an electric stun gun unexpectedly woke up. Authorities say the 61-year-old worker at Sheung Shaui slaughterhouse on the northern outskirts of Hong Kong had been about to kill...
Axes T. Rex Auction
Nov 21, 2022 6:32 AM CST
Christie's Abruptly Axes T. Rex Auction
US firm noticed skeleton, which Christie's was to auction off in Hong Kong, borrowed a lot from 'Stan'
- A 15-foot-tall T. rex skeleton that was unearthed in Montana had been set to be put on the auction block later this month. Now, Christie's has yanked the bone set nicknamed Shen from the Hong Kong sale, after an American fossil firm questioned some of the skeleton's parts....
Those Weren't Bottles of Water
That Arrived in Hong Kong
Oct 29, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Those Weren't Bottles of Water That Arrived in Hong Kong
City makes biggest-ever meth bust, seizing $140M worth of liquid meth labeled as 'coconut water'
- Hong Kong customs seized 2 tons of liquid methamphetamine in the city's biggest-ever meth bust, authorities said Saturday. The drugs, which were seized Oct. 23, had been concealed in bottles labeled as coconut water in a cargo shipment that arrived in Hong Kong by sea, according to a government...
Protester Dragged Into
in UK, Beaten
Oct 18, 2022 6:13 PM CDT
Protester Dragged Into Chinese Consulate in UK, Beaten
UK expresses 'deep concern' over assault of Hong Kong pro-democracy protester
- British police have opened an investigation into the assault of a Hong Kong pro-democracy protester who says he was dragged into the Chinese Consulate in Manchester and beaten up during a demonstration. Britain's foreign secretary summoned China's second-most senior diplomat in the UK on Tuesday to express the...
Hong Kong Arrests
'Seditious' Harmonica Player
Sep 20, 2022 3:06 PM CDT
Hong Kong Arrests 'Seditious' Harmonica Player
He played British national anthem, protest song to crowd gathered to mourn queen
- As Hong Kongers gathered outside the British consulate Monday night to pay their respects to Queen Elizabeth II, a man was arrested for allegedly seditious harmonica playing. The man played songs including the British national anthem and the unofficial protest anthem Glory to Hong Kong to the crowd as the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Texas Woman Whose Baby Won't Survive Goes to Court
A 65-Year-Old Christmas Classic Finally Hits No. 1
Hollywood Is Going After Lauren Boebert
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.