Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Played in Majors,
Has an $82M
Dec 4, 2023 4:25 PM CST
He's Never Played in Majors, Has an $82M Contract
Outfielder Jackson Chourio signs with the Milwaukee Brewers for a record amount
- Outfielder Jackson Chourio agreed to the largest contract for a player with no major league experience, an $82 million, eight-year deal with the Milwaukee Brewers announced Monday. The 19-year-old has played only six games above the Double-A level, reports the AP . His deal includes team options for 2032 and 2033,...
Now Just 5 MLB Teams
Have Never Won a World Series
Nov 1, 2023 9:00 PM CDT
Now Just 5 MLB Teams Have Never Won a World Series
After Texas Rangers beat Arizona Diamondbacks
- Corey Seager took a mighty hack and barely connected, sending a dribbler through an open area on the left side of the infield for his team's first hit in the seventh inning on the Texas Rangers' way to their first World Series title. The Rangers shortstop and World Series...
This World Series
Oct 25, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
This World Series Matchup Was Very Unlikely
And yet here we are: Diamondbacks will play Rangers, starting Friday
- Tell the truth: How many people picked Arizona and Texas to meet in the World Series? A Rangers-Diamondbacks matchup had 1,750 to 1 odds when wagering opened last fall. But in an era when 12 teams make the playoffs, sustained excellence over the six-month regular season has become a...
Mickey Mantle's Boyhood Home
Is Being Sold to 47K People
Oct 22, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Mickey Mantle's Boyhood Home Is Being Sold to 47K People
Investment company plans to sell shares for $7
- The home where one of baseball's greatest sluggers learned to bat is being sold to tens of thousands of people. Collectibles investment company Rally is using its "fractional ownership" model with real estate for the first time and plans to offer 47,000 shares in the home for...
A's Pitcher Takes Parting Shot
at Owner: 'Sell the Team, Dude'
Oct 17, 2023 8:08 AM CDT
A's Pitcher Takes Parting Shot at Owner: 'Sell the Team, Dude'
Oakland Athletics' Trevor May rails against John Fisher while announcing retirement
- Trevor May informed the world that he was retiring from Major League Baseball on Monday, but not before taking a parting shot at the owner of his team. Per
, the 34-year-old relief pitcher for the Oakland Athletics made his announcement in a Twitch video , and while he had...
She Made MLB
Makes an Exit
Oct 16, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
She Made MLB History, Now Makes an Exit
Kim Ng was the first woman GM of an MLB team, is leaving after 3 seasons with the Miami Marlins
- Kim Ng is leaving the Miami Marlins after three seasons as general manager, Marlins chairman and principal owner Bruce Sherman announced Monday. Ng, 54, became the majors' highest-ranking woman in baseball operations and the first female GM in the four major North American professional sports leagues in a groundbreaking hire...
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder,
One Pitch at a Time
Sep 24, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
Minor-league pitcher Zac Kristofak's mother was murdered by his father when he was a teen
- The Athletic profiles a 25-year-old minor-league pitcher named Zac Kristofak, and it's a safe bet you'll be rooting for him to make the majors after reading. That's not solely because of his pitching, exactly. It has more to do with the tattoo of "D.N.K....
This Is How to Win
the Little League World Series
Aug 28, 2023 6:15 AM CDT
This Is How to Win the Little League World Series
Louis Lappe of El Segundo, California, hits a game-ending home run
- The Little League World Championship belongs to an American team thanks to a dramatic game-ending home run from a 12-year-old. Louis Lappe won the game for El Segundo, California, with a towering solo homer in the sixth and final inning to break a 5-5 tie against Curacao in the title...
as a Hitter
Aug 25, 2023 4:31 PM CDT
Injured as a Pitcher, Star Returns as a Hitter
Shohei Ohtani won't pitch again this year but is in the Angels lineup as a DH
- Shohei Ohtani's season as a pitcher for the Los Angeles Angels ended on Wednesday, but he reappeared in the lineup as a designated hitter on Friday. The normally two-way star was scheduled to bat second against the New York Mets on Friday night, ESPN reports, in the first game...
'J-Rod' Did Two
Has Ever Done
Aug 22, 2023 8:14 AM CDT
'J-Rod' Did Two Things Nobody in Baseball Has Ever Done
Mariners' Julio Rodriguez had 17 hits in 4 games, reached base 17 straight times he put ball in play
- Even the most casual of baseball fans might take a moment to wrap their heads around what Julio Rodriguez of the Seattle Mariners just accomplished. The 22-year-old center-fielder wrapped up a sizzling and historic five-game stretch at the plate. Highlights:
Within that span, "J-Rod" had 17 hits in four
You've Probably Never
Seen a Bat Like This
Aug 21, 2023 8:02 AM CDT
You've Probably Never Seen a Bat Like This
Bryson Stott of the Phillies uses one painted like a No. 2 pencil in Little League Classic
- The Nationals beat the Phillies 4-3 on Sunday, but the game is more notable for the unusual gear used by players from both teams. Like the bat custom-painted to resemble a No. 2 pencil by the Phillies' Bryson Stott, per the AP . On the opposing side, Joey Meneses wielded one...
Pitcher's Game Is One 'I'm
Going to Remember Forever'
Jun 29, 2023 6:25 AM CDT
Pitcher's Game Is One 'I'm Going to Remember Forever'
New York Yankees' Domingo German pitches perfect game in 11-0 victory over Athletics
- Since arriving in the big leagues six years ago, Domingo German has been anything but perfect—until now. The New York Yankees right-hander pitched the 24th perfect game in major league history Wednesday night, retiring every Oakland batter in an 11-0 victory over the Athletics. It was the first perfect...
Pitcher Booed at Home
After Anti-LGBTQ Post
Jun 1, 2023 1:17 PM CDT
Pitcher Booed at Home After Anti-LGBTQ Post
Anthony Bass of the Toronto Blue Jays has apologized
- Toronto Blue Jays pitcher Anthony Bass does not appear to be a fan favorite at the moment after he shared an anti-LGBTQ video on social media. When the relief pitcher entered the game Wednesday night in Toronto, hometown fans could be heard booing, reports Yahoo Sports and CP24.com . What'...
College Baseball Player Dies
as Makeshift Dugout Falls
May 26, 2023 12:35 AM CDT
College Baseball Player Dies as Makeshift Dugout Falls
Angel Mercado, 19, of Central Penn College was helping take down the structure
- A 19-year-old college baseball player in Pennsylvania has died in a freak accident involving a makeshift dugout, reports CBS News . Angel Mercado of Central Penn College was helping take down the wooden structure at a baseball field in Harrisburg when it fell on top of him Monday, per WHP . The...
Dodgers Do 180 on Pride Night
After 2nd Round of Backlash
May 23, 2023 8:33 AM CDT
Dodgers Do 180 on Pride Night After 2nd Round of Backlash
MLB team uninvited LGBTQ+ charity group after conservative complaints, then reinvited them
- It didn't seem out of the ordinary that the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence , an LGBTQ+ charity and satirical performance drag group in which participants dress as nuns, had been invited to the Los Angeles Dodgers' 10th annual Pride Night next month. The group was set to receive a "...
Gets Caught in
Dust Devil During
May 17, 2023 8:24 AM CDT
7-Year-Old Gets Caught in Dust Devil During Baseball Game
17-year-old umpire Aidan Wiles rescues Bauer Zoya in odd phenomenon in Jacksonville, Florida
- A young baseball player in Florida got quite the scare over the weekend when he was caught up in what looked like a pint-size tornado of dust in the middle of the game. WPLG reports that 7-year-old Bauer Zoya, a catcher for the Ponte Vedra Sharks, was on a field...
MLB Pitcher Suffers
Scary Line Drive Injury
May 15, 2023 7:36 AM CDT
MLB Pitcher Suffers Scary Line Drive Injury
Colorado Rockies pitcher Ryan Feltner suffers concussion, skull fracture after being hit by ball
- Colorado Rockies pitcher Ryan Feltner has a skull fracture and concussion after getting hit by a line drive off the bat of the Philadelphia Phillies' Nick Castellanos. Feltner was injured Saturday night during a game in Denver and was discharged from Swedish Medical Center on Sunday, per the AP . He...
Little League Has
for Unruly Parents
in case you missed it
Apr 30, 2023 3:30 PM CDT
This Town's Little League Has 'Ingenious' Plan for Unruly Parents
In Deptford, New Jersey, abusive spectators will have to take on umpire duties or be banned
- If you've ever attended a children's sporting event, you've likely witnessed a select few parents who get a little too much into the game, becoming agitated from the sidelines and even berating the refs or umpires. One New Jersey town has come up with a solution for...
It's the 'Feel-Good Moment
of the 2023 MLB Season'
in case you missed it
Apr 30, 2023 11:48 AM CDT
It's the 'Feel-Good Moment of the 2023 MLB Season'
Drew Maggi gets standing ovation in MLB debut after 13 seasons in minor league
- Drew Maggi has played 1,154 games of minor league baseball over a 13-year career, hoping for his big league debut. In 2019, he thought his dream had finally come true. But the Phoenix native, called up by the Minnesota Twins, never actually took to the field, per the
'I've Never Experienced
Anything Like This' in MLB
Apr 11, 2023 9:01 AM CDT
'I've Never Experienced Anything Like This' in MLB
Batting averages rise, game time drops as pitch clock, infield limits debut, along with bigger bases
- Major League Baseball's new rules designed to speed pace of play and encourage more action seem to be working through the season's first week and a half. Batting average is up 16 points, stolen bases have spiked 30%, and the average game time is down 31 minutes, on...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Hollywood Is Going After Lauren Boebert
Texas Woman Whose Baby Won't Survive Goes to Court
A 65-Year-Old Christmas Classic Finally Hits No. 1
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.