Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cavers Discover Missing Dog
Aug 14, 2022 11:10 AM CDT
Cavers Discover Missing Dog
Abby had vanished 2 months before
- A group exploring a cave in southeastern Missouri made an unexpected find about 500 feet below the surface: a dog, appearing lethargic, sitting on a mud floor. "She didn't look real good," Gerry Keene said. "I mean, she had 11 people walk by her with lights...
Cavers Say They Made It
to Bottom of the 'Well of Hell'
Sep 23, 2021 12:23 PM CDT
Cavers Say They Made It to Bottom of the 'Well of Hell'
They found snakes in Yemen sinkhole, but no sign of a gateway to the underworld
- For untold centuries, the Well of Barhout in eastern Yemen, also known as the Well of Hell, has been feared by locals who believe it is a gateway to the underworld or a prison for genies. A team of Omani cavers, however, say they descended to the bottom and found...
They Spent 40 Days in a
Dark Cave for Science.
Some Want to Go Back
Apr 24, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
They Spent 40 Days in a Dark Cave for Science. Some Want to Go Back
Isolation study in France deprived subjects of clocks, light, contact with outside world
- Ever wonder what it would feel like to unplug from a hyperconnected world and hide away in a dark cave for 40 days? Fifteen people in France did just that, emerging Saturday from a scientific experiment to say that time seemed to pass more slowly in their cavernous underground abode,...
New Dead Sea Scrolls
Found in 60-Year First
Mar 16, 2021 6:39 AM CDT
New Dead Sea Scrolls Found in 60-Year First
IAA director says they are 'of immeasurable worth for mankind'
- "The Cave of Horror" has given up a new wonder: the first fragments of the ancient Dead Sea Scrolls found in 60 years. Israeli archeologists have been combing the caves and ravines of the Judean Desert since 2017 in the hope of beating looters to relics preserved in the...
Missing Teen Survives
in Snow Cave
Jan 19, 2021 6:11 AM CST
Missing Teen Survives in Snow Cave
Canadian snowmobiler 'did everything right after things went wrong'
- A missing 17-year-old snowmobiler was found in "good condition" Saturday in Canada after building himself a snow cave and hunkering down. The snowmobiler, identified as Robert, had been traveling with his father and brother on British Columbia's Mica Mountain when he diverted into an area with steep terrain...
Australia to Mining Firm:
Rebuild Those Ancient Caves
Dec 9, 2020 7:25 PM CST
Australia to Mining Firm: Rebuild Those Ancient Caves
Rio Tinto detonated explosives to access iron ore
- Calling the destruction of 46,000-year-old Aboriginal caves "inexcusable," lawmakers in Western Australia have ordered a mining firm to rebuild caves that are among the country's most significant archaeological sites, the BBC reports. The company, Rio Tinto, detonated explosives in May to access $96 million in iron...
Baffled Experts—Until Now
Apr 19, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
2M-Year-Old Stones Baffled Experts—Until Now
An international team analyzes stones from Qesem Cave in Israel
- Ancient humans didn't exactly have kitchen supplies, but still had to eat—a fact that might help solve an old mystery. In a new paper , researchers say they can explain the small stone balls found in archaeological sites across Asia, Africa, and Europe dating back nearly two million years....
Drone's Find in Mountain Cave:
Man on the Run for 17 Years
in case you missed it
Oct 5, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
Drone's Find in Mountain Cave: Man on the Run for 17 Years
Chinese fugitive found barely able to communicate, his body 'devastated'
- In 2002, Song Jiang broke out of a prison camp in China, where he was serving a sentence for human trafficking. He wasn't seen for 17 more years—until earlier this month, when a drone finally found him in a cave in Yunnan province, per the BBC and Sky...
5 Men Rescued
From 'Cyclops Cave'
Apr 29, 2019 8:13 AM CDT
5 Men Rescued From 'Cyclops Cave'
They ventured in Friday night in Virginia, got trapped by heavy rain
- They're out and safe. Five men who were trapped in a cave in southwestern Virginia have been rescued, reports CBS News . The men had ventured into the Cyclops Cave in Cleveland Friday night, intending to camp overnight, and heavy rain then made exit impossible. One man escaped early Sunday...
5 Men Trapped in 'Cyclops Cave'
Apr 28, 2019 3:00 PM CDT
5 Men Trapped in 'Cyclops Cave'
Virginia officials are planning a rescue
- Authorities say five men have been trapped in a cave in southwest Virginia after heavy rains drenched the area, the AP reports. Emergency management officials say six men entered Cyclops Cave near Cleveland and had planned to camp overnight Saturday until conditions worsened because of the rains, which also made...
Cave Rescue Expert
Rescued From Cave
Apr 18, 2019 8:20 AM CDT
Cave Rescue Expert Rescued From Cave
Josh Bratchley helped save Thai boys last year
- Josh Bratchley, a member of the team of divers that helped save 12 boys and their soccer coach from a flooded cave in Thailand last year, is very good at rescuing people from caves. Luckily for him, he is also very good at
rescued from caves. Bratchley was rescued...
Visit This Natural Wonder,
Face $740K Fine
Dec 20, 2018 12:05 PM CST
Visit This Natural Wonder, Face $740K Fine
'Sarlacc's Pit' is dangerous, mostly unexplored
- A massive cave discovered in British Columbia's Wells Gray Provincial Park and said to be among Canada's largest has been given an unofficial name. "Sarlacc's Pit" resembles the lair of Sarlacc in
Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
, though Star Wars fans—and everyone else—should...
They Were Trapped
in an Ice Cave. They
Started Burning Hair
Aug 15, 2018 10:40 AM CDT
They Were Trapped in an Ice Cave. They Started Burning Hair
'We only had about an hour or two before we would've died,' Jessica Christiansen says
- An Idaho couple was rescued this week from an ice cave in Wyoming with a little less hair than they entered with. By Sunday night, Spencer and Jessica Christiansen were sure they were staring death in the face. Drenched by a waterfall inside the mazelike Darby Canyon Ice Cave, where...
Cave Boys Tried to
Dig Their Way Out
Jul 18, 2018 8:33 AM CDT
Cave Boys Tried to Dig Their Way Out
'We didn't realize how far the water could rise'
- Before help finally arrived, the 12 boys and soccer coach trapped in a flooded cave system in Thailand tried to dig their way out. Speaking publicly for the first time at a press conference in Chiang Rai shortly after leaving a hospital Wednesday, the team described moving backward through the...
Elon Musk Sorry
for 'Pedo' Insult
Jul 18, 2018 5:33 AM CDT
Elon Musk Sorry for 'Pedo' Insult
'My words were spoken in anger'
- Elon Musk has apparently decided to cut his losses and withdraw from the Thailand cave dispute with whatever dignity he has left. In a tweet , the Tesla CEO apologized for describing British cave diver Vern Unsworth, who played a key role in rescuing 12 trapped boys and their coach, as...
In Thailand, a Tearful
Reunion Through Glass
Jul 11, 2018 10:05 AM CDT
In Thailand, a Tearful Reunion Through Glass
'Everybody started to cry,' says father of rescued boy
- "It's like a rebirth." That's how a father is viewing his 11-year-old son's rescue as part of a soccer team pulled by divers from a flooded cave in Thailand. "Everybody started to cry," he adds of the moment Wednesday when family members were...
Thai Boys, Coach Are
All Out of the Cave
Jul 10, 2018 7:07 AM CDT
Thai Boys, Coach Are All Out of the Cave
Thai Navy SEALs confirm the rescue is complete
- With the "rain god" apparently on the side of Thai rescuers, the nation's most infamous flooded cave is now empty after a two-week ordeal that gripped the world, reports Reuters . "The 12 Wild Boars and coach have emerged from the cave and they are safe," Thai...
Thai Cave Rescuers
Pull Out 4 More Boys
Jul 9, 2018 8:35 AM CDT
Thai Cave Rescuers Pull Out 4 More Boys
Divers have ended operations for the day; 4 boys and their coach remain
- Four more boys were rescued from a cave system in Thailand on Monday, leaving four more boys and their soccer coach still stranded deep in the system as rescue operations suspended for the day, reports Reuters . Ambulances were seen leaving the scene. The development comes a day after four other...
At Least 4 Boys Emerge From
Cave; Rescue Put on Pause
Jul 8, 2018 9:52 AM CDT
At Least 4 Boys Emerge From Cave; Rescue Put on Pause
'Air tanks must be put back in place'
- "There is no other day that we are more ready than today," rescue director Narongsak Osottanakorn said, in announcing that 18 divers had gone in to rescue the Thai soccer team trapped in a cave since late June . "Otherwise we will lose the opportunity." Now, the...
Elon Musk's Idea to Save Thai
Boys: Make a 'Bouncy Castle'
Jul 6, 2018 12:52 PM CDT
Elon Musk's Idea to Save Thai Boys: Make a 'Bouncy Castle'
SpaceX CEO says he's sending engineers over to see if his Boring Company can assist
- Initial elation at finding 12 boys and their soccer coach in a Thai cave has since turned to concern at not being able to immediately extract them, and sadness after a diver bringing supplies died during his exit . Now, per the BBC , renewed hope joins those emotions after Tesla and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Prosecutors: Baldwin Was on His Phone During Gun Training
Police: On-the-Lam Torture Suspect Is Dead
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.