Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Supreme Court Freezes Deal
That Protects Sackler Family
Aug 10, 2023 6:50 PM CDT
Supreme Court Freezes Deal That Protects Sackler Family
Justices agree to hear arguments on bankrupty deal that shields Sacklers
- The Supreme Court on Thursday temporarily blocked a nationwide settlement with OxyContin maker Purdue Pharma that would shield members of the Sackler family who own the company from civil lawsuits over the toll of opioids. The justices agreed to a request from the Biden administration to put the brakes on...
Victims Deal With
Mar 12, 2022 1:55 PM CST
Victims Deal With Emotions After Facing Sacklers
Purdue owners had to sit through family statements
- After telling the Sacklers how they and family members had suffered from or lost relatives to opioid addiction, some of the roughly two dozen people who made court statements Thursday were left to deal with the emotions and assess the value of the confrontations. Some who spoke emerged exhausted, others...
Victim to Sacklers:
'I Hope Every Face
Mar 10, 2022 8:00 PM CST
Victim to Sacklers: 'I Hope Every Face Haunts You'
Hearing was part of the Purdue Pharma settlement
- Richard, Theresa, and David Sackler were forced to sit in silence Thursday as victims of the opioid epidemic told the owners of Purdue Pharma the damage Oxycontin had done to their lives and families. The session was mandated by the settlement that ended years of court fights, giving victims their...
OxyContin Settlement Includes
a Statement of 'Regret'
Mar 3, 2022 3:37 PM CST
OxyContin Settlement Includes a Statement of 'Regret'
Sacklers stop short of an unequivocal apology in opioid deal
- Purdue Pharma reached a nationwide settlement Thursday over its role in the opioid crisis, with the Sackler family members who own the company boosting their cash contribution to as much as $6 billion in a deal intended to staunch a flood of lawsuits facing the maker of OxyContin. The deal...
Sacklers Up Opioid Settlement,
With an Unpopular Condition
Feb 20, 2022 10:07 AM CST
Sacklers Up Opioid Settlement, With an Unpopular Condition
Family behind Purdue Pharma wants protection from future lawsuits, as well
- The family behind Purdue Pharma is willing to contribute another $1 billion to settle thousands of opioid crisis lawsuits, provided it buys the Sacklers immunity from all current and future civil cases. That protection was included in the first bankruptcy plan for the company, which was rejected last year by...
Dec 17, 2021 12:04 AM CST
Judge Rejects Purdue Pharma Settlement
But the issue will likely go to an appeals court
- A federal judge rejected OxyContin maker Purdue Pharma’s bankruptcy settlement of thousands of lawsuits over the opioid epidemic Thursday because of a provision that would protect members of the Sackler family from facing litigation of their own, the AP reports. US District Judge Colleen McMahon in New York found...
Judge Approves Settlement
That Shields Sacklers
Sep 1, 2021 5:55 PM CDT
Judge Approves Settlement That Shields Sacklers
Purdue Pharma owners will be protected from future lawsuits over opioids
- A federal bankruptcy judge gave conditional approval Wednesday to a sweeping, potentially $10 billion plan submitted by OxyContin maker Purdue Pharma to settle a mountain of lawsuits over its role in the opioid crisis that has killed a half-million Americans over the past two decades. Under the settlement, the Sackler...
Purdue Pharma Heir
Makes a Big Demand
Aug 17, 2021 6:05 PM CDT
Purdue Pharma Heir Makes a Big Demand
He says Sackler family won't settle unless they are freed from opioid lawsuits
- Members of the family that owns OxyContin maker Purdue Pharma won’t contribute billions of dollars to a legal settlement unless they get off the hook for all current and future lawsuits over the company’s activities, one of them told a court Tuesday in a rare public appearance. David...
Many Have Lukewarm Reaction
to OxyContin Maker's Offer
Mar 17, 2021 12:02 PM CDT
Many Have Lukewarm Reaction to OxyContin Maker's Offer
$10B plan calls for turning the pharmaceutical giant into a new company
- Some state attorneys general and opioid addiction activists pushed back Tuesday against a settlement offer from OxyContin maker Purdue Pharma, saying it didn't include enough money and goes too far in protecting the company and family members who own it from future liability. A group of nearly half the...
Sacklers Infuriate Lawmakers
Dec 17, 2020 4:38 PM CST
Sacklers Infuriate Lawmakers
Family behind Purdue Pharma has no regrets over opioid crisis
- The opioid epidemic has killed more than 400,000 Americans, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prescription opioids including Oxycontin, which Purdue Pharma put on the market about 25 years ago, caused about 230,000 of the deaths. The company's marketing pitched the pills to doctors...
Pleads Guilty to
3 Criminal Charges
Nov 24, 2020 2:34 PM CST
OxyContin Maker Pleads Guilty to 3 Criminal Charges
Company admits role in opioid epidemic
- Purdue Pharma pleaded guilty Tuesday to three criminal charges, formally taking responsibility for its part in an opioid epidemic that has contributed to hundreds of thousands of deaths but also angering critics who want to see individuals held accountable, in addition to the company. In a virtual hearing with a...
It Makes OxyContin. Now It's
Made a Deal With the Feds
Oct 21, 2020 12:20 PM CDT
It Makes OxyContin. Now It's Made a Deal With the Feds
Inside the $8.3B Purdue Pharma settlement
- OxyContin maker Purdue Pharma will plead guilty to three federal criminal charges, the Justice Department said Wednesday in announcing an $8.3 billion deal that settles the federal investigation of how the company marketed opioids, Politico reports. Those charges include conspiracy to defraud the US and violating federal anti-kickback laws....
Sacklers Withdrew Billions
Amid Opioid Scrutiny
Dec 17, 2019 6:42 AM CST
Sacklers Withdrew Billions Amid Opioid Scrutiny
Audit raises new questions about whether $3B settlement offer by Purdue Pharma is enough
- A new audit related to the Sackler family's vast wealth shows that family members withdrew more than $10 billion from their pharmaceutical company as the scope of the nation's opioid crisis became clearer, reports the
New York Times
. The AP notes this contrast: From 1995 through 2007, the...
Purdue Affiliate Accused of
Selling 'Deeply Cynical' Drug
Dec 15, 2019 2:45 PM CST
Purdue Affiliate Accused of Selling 'Deeply Cynical' Drug
Or is Mundipharma selling a much-needed cure?
- As Purdue Pharma buckles under a mountain of litigation and public protest in the United States, its foreign affiliate, Mundipharma, has expanded abroad, using some of the same tactics to sell the addictive opioids that made its owners, the Sackler family, among the richest in the world. Mundipharma is...
in the Room
Oct 6, 2019 5:30 PM CDT
Victims Weren't in the Room When Opioid Maker Settled
But now 4 of them will play a role in Purdue Pharma's bankruptcy
- Victims of opioid addiction weren't in the room when OxyContin maker Purdue Pharma persuaded half the state attorneys general to settle claims over the company's role in the nationwide overdose epidemic, the AP reports. Now that Purdue is in federal bankruptcy court, four people whose lives were touched...
Top Colleges Kept
Taking Sacklers' Money
Oct 3, 2019 7:15 PM CDT
Top Colleges Kept Taking Sacklers' Money
At least nine schools accepted donations in the past two years
- Prestigious universities around the world have accepted at least $60 million over the past five years from the family that owns the maker of OxyContin, even as the company became embroiled in lawsuits related to the opioid epidemic, financial records show. Some of the donations arrived before recent lawsuits blaming...
Sep 17, 2019 6:48 PM CDT
Judge Keeps Purdue Pharma in Business During Cases
Settlement figures on the OxyContin maker remaining viable
- A judge cleared the way Tuesday for OxyContin maker Purdue Pharma to stay in business while it pursues bankruptcy protection and settlement of more than 2,600 lawsuits filed against it in a reckoning over the opioid crisis. At the first hearing since the Chapter 11 filing Sunday, Purdue secured...
Files for Bankruptcy
Sep 16, 2019 12:50 AM CDT
Purdue Pharma Files for Bankruptcy
But OxyContin maker's legal battles are far from over
- Purdue Pharma, the company that made billions selling the prescription painkiller OxyContin, has filed for bankruptcy in White Plains, NY, days after reaching a tentative settlement with many of the state and local governments suing it over the toll of opioids. The filing was anticipated before and after the tentative...
New York AG Uncovers $1B
Wired by Sackler Family
Sep 14, 2019 5:30 AM CDT
New York AG Uncovers $1B Wired by Sackler Family
Transfers boost suspicions that owners of OxyContin maker Purdue tried to shield wealth
- The family that owns OxyContin maker Purdue Pharma used Swiss and other hidden accounts to transfer $1 billion to themselves, New York's attorney general contends in court papers filed Friday. New York—asking a judge to enforce subpoenas of companies, banks, and advisers to Purdue and its owners, the...
Tentative Deal Reached
in Purdue Pharma Lawsuits
Sep 11, 2019 5:21 PM CDT
Tentative Deal Reached in Purdue Pharma Lawsuits
OxyContin maker reaches tentative settlement with some of the states, governments suing
- A tentative settlement announced Wednesday over the role Purdue Pharma played in the nation's opioid addiction crisis falls short of the far-reaching national settlement the OxyContin maker had been seeking for months, with litigation sure to continue against the company and the family that owns it. The agreement with...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Chinese Chef in Hot Water Over Egg Fried Rice Video
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.