Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sep 16, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
Ilia Malinin Cleanly Lands Breakthrough Jump
Skating world recognizes the 17-year-old's historic quadruple axel
- "This is the craziest thing I've ever seen anyone do on the ice," Adam Rippon said. He'd just watched a fellow American skater, Ilia Malinin, pull off a quadruple axel—cleanly—in competition Wednesday night in Lake Placid. It was a figure skating breakthrough that the...
Jun 7, 2022 12:10 PM CDT
Skating Body: No More 15-Year-Olds at Olympics
ISU will limit senior competitions to those 17 and older after 2024
- The International Skating Union won't allow another 15-year-old figure skater to compete at the Olympics following the doping controversy surrounding Russia's Kamila Valieva in Beijing. At its 58th Congress in Thailand on Tuesday, the ISU voted to limit senior competitions to skaters 16 and older for the 2023-24...
Feb 21, 2022 1:47 PM CST
Young Russian Skater Backs Beleaguered Coaches
'You are absolute masters at what you do,' writes Kamila Valieva
- The 15-year-old Russian skater embroiled in a doping scandal made a public show of support for her coaches on social media Monday, reports CNN . Kamila Valieva, whose Olympics ended with a disastrous skate that left her out of medal contention, put up a series of Instagram posts thanking her fans...
to US Team Now
Feb 19, 2022 2:05 PM CST
Panel Rejects Awarding Medals to US Team Now
- Nine US figure skaters have been told they will leave Beijing without having their moment in a public medal ceremony and without the silver medals they won in the team competition. The holdup is the doping case against Kamila Valieva , a member of the Russian team that won the gold...
As Kamila Valieva Left the Ice,
Coach Demanded Explanation
Feb 18, 2022 6:18 AM CST
As Kamila Valieva Left the Ice, Coach Demanded Explanation
And more on the Russian skater's shocking free skate
- The first thing Kamila Valieva's coach said to her after the 15-year-old's disastrous free skate Thursday , which cost her a medal: "Why did you let it go?" Eteri Tutberidze could be heard asking Valieva during the live broadcast, as the teen stepped off the ice. "Why...
Skater in Doping Scandal
Has Disastrous Performance
Feb 17, 2022 9:35 AM CST
Skater in Doping Scandal Has Disastrous Performance
Russia's Kamila Valieva finishes in 4th in a stunner
- It might be the biggest surprise of the Beijing Olympics: Kamila Valieva, the 15-year-old Russian skater embroiled in a doping controversy , had a disastrous free skate on Thursday and finished out of medal contention in fourth place. "Stunning" is the word used by Christine Brennan of
Feb 16, 2022 6:56 AM CST
The Plot Thickens in Kamila Valieva Doping Saga
There were actually 3 substances found in her sample
- Not one, but three substances were found in Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva's sample, according to documents the
New York Times
reviewed—plus someone who participated in the hearing that cleared the 15-year-old to compete. Valieva had actually listed the other two drugs, Hypoxen and L-carnitine, on her doping...
Russian Skater Blames
Feb 15, 2022 8:11 AM CST
Russian Skater Blames Grandfather's Medication
Kamila Valieva breaks silence on controversy
- Lawyers for the Russian figure skater embroiled in a doping scandal at the Olympics says her grandfather's heart medication is to blame. Kamila Valieva, 15, failed a drug test but has been allowed to continue skating at the Games. At a hearing Sunday night, her lawyers made the case...
Russian Skater at Center of
Doping Scandal Can Compete
Feb 14, 2022 12:05 AM CST
Russian Skater at Center of Doping Scandal Can Compete
Kamila Valieva testified at a hearing that lasted into the wee hours of Monday
Figure skater Kamila Valieva has been cleared to compete in the women's figure skating competition at the Winter Olympics despite failing a pre-Games drug test, the AP reports. The Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled after a hastily arranged appeal hearing that lasted into early Monday that the...
More on Figure Skating's
Medals Hold-Up Emerges
Feb 11, 2022 6:31 AM CST
More on Figure Skating's Medals Hold-Up Emerges
Doping hearing to decide fate of Kamila Valieva, who could nab another gold
- Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva's right to compete as the heavy favorite in the women's event at the Beijing Olympics will be decided at an urgent hearing at the Court of Arbitration for Sport after a failed doping test, per the AP . The International Testing Agency (ITA) confirmed...
After a Record-Shattering
Short Program, a Near-Perfect
Free Skate—and Gold
Feb 10, 2022 12:17 AM CST
After a Record-Shattering Short Program, a Near-Perfect Free Skate—and Gold
Nathan Chen of the US wins gold at Beijing Olympics
- Nathan Chen completed his four-year journey toward an elusive Olympic gold medal Thursday, following his record short program at the Beijing Games with a near-perfect free skate that earned him a standing ovation from supporters inside historic Capital Indoor Stadium, the AP reports. The 22-year-old star landed all five of...
Star's Flunked Drug Test Delays
Skaters' Medals: Reports
Feb 9, 2022 7:45 PM CST
Star's Flunked Drug Test Delays Skaters' Medals: Reports
Russian newspapers say Kamila Valieva, 15, tested positive for banned heart drug
This file has been updated with reports of a positive drug test on the Russian team.
The winners in the team figure-skating competition at the Beijing Olympics still haven't received their medals two days later because of what the International Olympic Committee said are "legal issues."...
Feb 9, 2022 12:14 AM CST
Nathan Chen Delivers Incredible, Record-Shattering Short Program
US figure skater scores 113.97 points
- Nathan Chen had just shattered the world record for a figure skating short program, even throwing a defiant fist in a rare display of emotion, when he was asked how he'd spend the next 48 hours before his long-awaited Olympic coronation. “I've been here a while,”...
On Olympic Ice,
a Huge First
Feb 7, 2022 9:00 AM CST
On Olympic Ice, a Huge First
Russia's Kamila Valieva, 15, is first woman ever to land quad at Olympics
- "HISTORY MADE!" was NBC's excited tweet after a young Olympic figure skater from Russia landed a quadruple jump in Beijing during the women's team free-skate program.
reports that Kamila Valieva, 15, pulled off both a quad salchow (watch her do it here ) and...
After Fall in
Feb 6, 2022 11:20 AM CST
Chinese Scorn US-Born Skater After Fall in Olympics Debut
Some online ask why Zhu Yi is on China's team
- China apparently has censored the social media fury that erupted Sunday after a US-born skater fell and crashed into a wall in her debut for the host Olympic team. Zhu Yi put up the lowest score of the women's short program team event, CNN reports. China fell from third...
Skater Who Said
He Was Abused to
Walk With $1.45M
Jan 15, 2021 10:23 AM CST
Skater Who Said He Was Abused to Walk With $1.45M
US Figure Skating settles with Adam Schmidt
- The start of the US Figure Skating Championships was overshadowed Thursday by news that the organization had agreed to pay $1.45 million to a former skater who claimed he was sexually abused by a coach. Adam Schmidt, 36, sued US Figure Skating in 2019, claiming he suffered "numerous...
Olympic Figure Skater in
Lewd Photo Inquiry Retires
Sep 30, 2020 2:30 AM CDT
Olympic Figure Skater in Lewd Photo Inquiry Retires
Morgan Cipres allegedly sent lewd pictures to 13-year-old female figure skater
- Less than a year after an investigation was launched into allegations that he'd sent lewd photos to an underage girl, Olympic figure skater Morgan Cipres is out of the sport. The French Federation of Ice Sports announced Tuesday that both Cipres, 29, and his pairs skating partner Vanessa James,...
Olympics Figure Skater
Dies at 20 in Moscow
Jul 18, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Olympics Figure Skater Dies at 20 in Moscow
Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya was born in Russia but won a world junior title for Australia
- A former figure skating champion who was born in Russia but skated for Australia has died in Moscow at the age of 20, CNN reports. Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya's death was confirmed Saturday by skating officials , but no cause was given. A pairs' figure skater, Alexandrovskaya obtained Australian citizenship in 2016...
Aug 11, 2019 2:51 PM CDT
More Molestation Allegations Hit Former Figure Skating Coach
Adam Schmidt sues Richard Callaghan
- A former member of the US national figure skating team said in a lawsuit Friday that he was sexually molested as a teenage boy by a coach the sport's governing body had ignored complaints about. Adam Schmidt sued coach Richard Callaghan and US Figure Skating in San Diego County...
I Was 17 When
'Put His Hands
Down My Pants'
Aug 1, 2019 9:55 AM CDT
I Was 17 When John Coughlin 'Put His Hands Down My Pants'
Ashley Wagner describes 2008 assault that left her 'paralyzed in fear'
- Facing allegations of misconduct, retired figure skater John Coughlin committed suicide in January after learning he'd been suspended from US Figure Skating activities. In May, former skating partner Bridget Namiotka said Coughlin sexually abused her over two years , adding she was one of at least 10 victims. Now, another...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Philadelphia Cuts Down Brewery's Entire Hop Crop
Dow Closes at New Low for 2022
US Has Been Quietly Warning Russia Not to Go Nuclear
Captain Who Fatally Cut Parasail Line Arrested
Taylor Swift Fans Read Between Lines on NFL News
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.