Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
James Webb Space Telescope
Stories 1 - 20 |
It's a 'Pivotal Milestone'
Courtesy of Webb Telescope
Nov 16, 2023 11:55 AM CST
It's a 'Pivotal Milestone' Courtesy of Webb Telescope
In a first, chemical composition of an exoplanet's clouds definitively identified
- The James Webb Space Telescope has revealed details of an "absolutely hostile" planet where it rains, not water, but particles of silicate sand, which whip around at speeds of a couple of miles per second. The gas giant Wasp-107b, some 200 light years away in the Virgo constellation, is...
'Cosmic Beast' in Night Sky
Blows Our Black Hole Away
Nov 7, 2023 9:55 AM CST
'Cosmic Beast' in Night Sky Blows Our Black Hole Away
Oldest black hole ever discovered formed just 470M years after the Big Bang
- Scientists have discovered the oldest black hole yet, a cosmic beast formed a mere 470 million years after the Big Bang. The findings, published Monday, confirm what until now were theories that supermassive black holes existed at the dawn of the universe, per the AP . NASA's James Webb Space...
Webb Telescope Makes
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 7, 2023 12:10 PM CDT
Webb Telescope Makes 'Baffling' Discovery
Scientists announce discovery of planet-sized objects unexplained by existing theories
- The James Webb Space Telescope has shown us the most distant black holes known to exist , new exoplanets , possible planets in the making —and now, planet-sized objects previously unknown and unaccounted for by existing theories. Nearly 150 planet-like "Jupiter Mass Binary Objects," or JuMBOs—far too small...
Possible Sign of Life Detected
120 Light Years Away
Sep 12, 2023 7:28 PM CDT
Possible Sign of Life Detected 120 Light Years Away
Webb telescope makes intriguing find in atmosphere of planet K2-18b
- A Hycean planet is a planet with a hydrogen-rich atmosphere and oceans of liquid water—and NASA says the James Webb Space Telescope may have spotted an intriguing one 120 light years away. Researchers say they have detected carbon-bearing molecules including methane and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere of K2-18b,...
of Star Birth
Jul 13, 2023 6:21 AM CDT
NASA Releases Stunning Image of Star Birth
Agency is celebrating a year of images from the James Webb Space Telescope
- The Webb Space Telescope is marking one year of cosmic photographs with one of its best yet: the dramatic close-up of dozens of stars at the moment of birth. NASA unveiled the latest snapshot Wednesday, revealing 50 baby stars in a cloud complex 390 light-years away. A light-year is nearly...
Webb Telescope Spots
Farthest Black Hole Yet
Jul 10, 2023 7:40 PM CDT
Webb Telescope Spots Farthest Black Hole Yet
Other discoveries closer to the Big Bang are under review
- Astronomers have discovered the most distant black hole yet using the Webb Space Telescope, but the record isn't expected to last. The black hole is at the center of a galaxy dating to within a mere 570 million years of the Big Bang. That's 100 million years closer...
Webb Space Telescope
Spots Its First Exoplanet
Jan 12, 2023 1:28 PM CST
Webb Space Telescope Spots Its First Exoplanet
'With this telescope, rocky exoplanets are the new frontier'
- The James Webb Space Telescope has made a hot new find: LHS 475 b, a rocky planet almost exactly the same size as Earth. The first exoplanet spotted by the telescope has 99% of our planet's diameter and is relatively close, 41 light years away in the Octans constellation,...
Stunning Images of
'Pillars of Creation'
Oct 20, 2022 1:35 PM CDT
NASA Releases Stunning Images of 'Pillars of Creation'
James Webb Space Telescope captured star-forming region in vivid detail
- Marvel's cosmic Silver Surfer would not seem out of place in the latest amazing images from the James Webb Space Telescope. The images show the Pillars of Creation, spires of interstellar gas and dust in an active star-forming region of the Eagle Nebula in the Serpens constellation, 6,500...
Photos of Neptune
Sep 21, 2022 1:28 PM CDT
NASA Releases Staggering Photos of Neptune
Our most distant planet's rings are crisp
- If you picture Neptune as a blue ring-less planet, new images released Wednesday from NASA's James Webb Space Telescope are about to set you straight. The images show what CNN refers to as the planet's "crisp, narrow rings." As Heidi Hammel of the Webb project says,...
'We’ve Never Seen
Jupiter Like This'
Aug 22, 2022 2:02 PM CDT
'We’ve Never Seen Jupiter Like This'
Webb telescope captures stunning images
- The world’s newest and biggest space telescope is showing Jupiter as never before, auroras and all. Scientists released the shots of the solar system's biggest planet Monday. The James Webb Space Telescope took the photos in July, capturing unprecedented views of Jupiter’s northern and southern lights, and...
His 'Deep Space' Image
Wasn't Quite What It Seemed
Aug 5, 2022 2:02 PM CDT
His 'Deep Space' Image Wasn't Quite What It Seemed
Physicist clarifies after posting joke image of chorizo
- A French physicist who received thousands of likes on a tweeted photo he claimed was from the James Webb Space Telescope has admitted the photo actually showed a very detailed slice of chorizo sausage. Etienne Klein, a director at France's Atomic Energy Commission, apologized after claiming the image of...
NASA Releases More New
Images From the Cosmos
Jul 12, 2022 12:14 PM CDT
NASA Releases More New Images From the Cosmos
Courtesy of the James Webb Space Telescope
- NASA on Tuesday unveiled a new batch of images from its new powerful space telescope, including a foamy blue and orange shot of a dying star. The first image from the $10 billion James Webb Space Telescope was released Monday at the White House —a jumble of distant galaxies...
Hit by 'Unavoidable
Jun 10, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
Space Telescope Hit by 'Unavoidable Chance Event'
NASA says it's still performing above expectations after micrometeoroid strike
- The massive mirror on the James Webb Space Telescope has been hit by what NASA calls an "unavoidable chance event"—a strike from a piece of space debris larger than they expected. NASA says one of the mirror's segments was hit by a micrometeoroid, which it defines...
Scientists Baffled by
Neptune's Temperature Swings
Apr 12, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
Scientists Baffled by Neptune's Temperature Swings
Temps should be 'slowly growing warmer, not colder' amid southern summer
- Neptune's southern hemisphere has spent the last 17 years in its summer season, yet global temperatures have plummeted. It's a head-scratching finding that leaves astronomers with more questions than answers. "Since we have been observing Neptune during its early southern summer, we would expect temperatures to be...
Evidence of Alien Life Might
Emerge in a Cloud of Methane
Apr 2, 2022 8:15 AM CDT
Evidence of Alien Life Might Emerge in a Cloud of Methane
The trick will be ruling out nonbiological explanations
- Methane—a key ingredient in delightful things like swamp gas, flatulence, and fossil-fuel emissions —could also prove to be a key biosignature, i.e., evidence of extraterrestrial life. Thus, the gas is top-of-mind for scientists preparing to receive an influx of data from the James Webb Space Telescope. According...
$10B Space Telescope
Is Beating Expectations
Mar 16, 2022 3:31 PM CDT
$10B Space Telescope Is Beating Expectations
'We are excited about what this means for science'
- "All of the sleepless nights I've had and the worries I've had, they're all behind us now," NASA associate administrator Thomas Zurbuchen said after tests confirmed that the James Webb Space Telescope is performing even better than expected. Engineers say the "fine phasing" process,...
For NASA's Space Telescope,
'a Real Wow Moment'
Feb 12, 2022 5:30 AM CST
For NASA's Space Telescope, 'a Real Wow Moment'
James Webb Space Telescope captures its first starlight, plus a selfie
- NASA's new space telescope has captured its first starlight and even taken a selfie of its giant gold mirror. All 18 segments of the primary mirror on the James Webb Space Telescope seem to be working properly one and a half months into the mission, officials said Friday, per...
'We’re One Step Closer
to Uncovering the
Mysteries of the Universe'
Jan 24, 2022 6:09 PM CST
'We’re One Step Closer to Uncovering the Mysteries of the Universe'
James Webb Space Telescope reaches final orbit
- "We're one step closer to uncovering the mysteries of the universe," a jubilant NASA Administrator Bill Nelson said Monday after the James Webb Space Telescope reached its final orbit. "And I can’t wait to see Webb’s first new views of the universe this summer!...
Most Powerful Telescope
in the World Lifts Off
Dec 25, 2021 7:00 AM CST
Most Powerful Telescope in the World Lifts Off
The James Webb Space Telescope, successor to the Hubble, launches aboard rocket
The world's most powerful telescope is on its way to the cosmos. A rocket lifted off Saturday morning with the James Webb Space Telescope, reports the AP . NASA is collaborating with the European and Canadian space agencies on the telescope, and the launch took place from French Guiana....
Millions of Years
After Big Bang,
a 'Cosmic Dawn'
Jun 25, 2021 12:43 PM CDT
Millions of Years After Big Bang, a 'Cosmic Dawn'
Astronomers say they've figured out when first stars began shining
- For his entire working life, Richard Ellis has been obsessed with finding out when the universe's first stars began shining. Now, in a new study published in the
Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society
journal, Ellis and his team at University College London say they've pinpointed the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
Police Raid Moscow Gay Bars After Anti-LGBTQ+ Ruling
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.