Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nov 28, 2023 2:30 AM CST
Would-Be Carjackers Stymied by Stick Shift
Suspects in attempted carjacking of a Porsche end up fleeing the scene in another vehicle
- A group of would-be carjackers were forced to flee without the Porsche they were trying to carjack once they discovered it was a manual transmission and they didn't know how to drive stick. The car's owner was outside a business in Bethesda, Maryland, late Sunday when the group...
3 Teen Girls Get 20 Years in
'Heinous' Carjacking Death
Nov 20, 2023 3:03 PM CST
3 Teen Girls Get 20 Years in 'Heinous' Carjacking Death
New Orleans teens pleaded guilty to reduced charge in death of Linda Frickey, 73
- Three teenage girls involved in the dragging death of a woman whose arm was severed during a carjacking in New Orleans last year pleaded guilty Monday to reduced charges and were sentenced to 20 years in prison. Briniyah Baker, 17; Lenyra Theophile, 16; and Mar'Qel Curtis, 16, pleaded guilty...
In DC, Crackdown on Car
Crimes Comes With AirTags
Nov 20, 2023 12:05 PM CST
In DC, Crackdown on Car Crimes Comes With AirTags
Police in capital teach drivers how to install tracking devices as part of multipronged crime initiative
- Jeff Pena contacted his father as soon as he heard that police in Washington, DC, were passing out auto tracking devices to try to stem a sharp increase in carjackings, auto thefts, and other crimes in the nation's capital. "It's just getting crazy out there," says...
Laments Loss of Sushi
Oct 3, 2023 2:52 PM CDT
Carjacked Congressman Laments Loss of Sushi
But Rep. Henry Cuellar of Texas does have his car back
- A Texas congressman has some advice for people who find themselves being carjacked: Don't be a hero and don't panic. "You have to stay calm in these situations," Democratic Rep. Henry Cuellar told MSNBC on Tuesday morning. "I gave them the key and they took...
Carjacked in DC
Oct 3, 2023 7:22 AM CDT
Democrat Congressman Carjacked in DC
Rep. Henry Cuellar of Texas is OK after aides say he was held at gunpoint Monday near Capitol
- Authorities say a Democratic congressman was carjacked at gunpoint on Monday night in Washington, but he's OK, and his vehicle has since been recovered. Aides for Texas Rep. Henry Cuellar say the incident took place in the Navy Yard area of DC, about a mile from the US Capitol,...
Police: Attacker Killed 3 People,
Injured 9 in 'Random Violence'
Jun 3, 2023 1:45 PM CDT
Police: Attacker Killed 3 People, Injured 9 in 'Random Violence'
Suspect in custody in California rampage
- A 31-year-old California man is in custody after three people were killed and nine injured in what police described as "random acts of violence." The victims were stabbed or hit with a vehicle in San Jose and neighboring Milpitas, NBC News reports, before Kevin Parkourana surrendered Thursday evening...
Puppy in Designer
Handbag Thrown From
Car During Police Chase
Apr 10, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
Puppy in Designer Handbag Thrown From Car During Police Chase
And survives the ordeal
- As Los Angeles police officers chased a carjacking suspect Friday, a puppy that had been placed in a designer bag was suddenly tossed from the car window—and somehow survived the ordeal. Officers started chasing a Chevy Avalanche around noon; the driver was wanted in connection with a March 26...
Teen Gave Boys a Ride.
Cops Say They Killed Him
Feb 28, 2023 3:00 AM CST
Teen Gave Boys a Ride. Cops Say They Killed Him
Boys, 13 and 14, charged with murdering 17-year-old
- As he drove home from his girlfriend's house the night of Feb. 16, Michigan 17-year-old Jack Snyder saw two younger teen boys walking along the road in below-freezing temperatures and offered them a ride. Police say the 13- and 14-year-old boys murdered him. Police got calls about gunshots and...
Chicago Drivers Can Now
Get Anti-Carjacking Stickers
Oct 28, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
Chicago Drivers Can Now Get Anti-Carjacking Stickers
They warn that vehicle will be tracked as soon as it is reported stolen
- Chicago is the carjacking capital of America, but authorities hope stickers will help turn things around. Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart says owners of cars made after 2014 can register for stickers that warn would-be carjackers that the vehicle is part of a tracking program, Axios reports. Drivers signing up...
46 Days After
Being Shot, Rookie
Has His First TD
Oct 14, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
46 Days After Being Shot, Rookie Has His First TD
Brian Robinson Jr. stars after starting his first NFL game
- Usually when NFL players say they're trying to get healthy and get back on the field, they're talking about recovering from a football injury. For Brian Robinson Jr., a running back for the Washington Commanders, the issue was two bullet wounds to the leg, suffered when he was...
Capes. They Wear
Sep 15, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Some Heroes Don't Wear Capes. They Wear Chick-fil-A Uniforms
Mykel Gordon praised for helping woman with baby during alleged carjacking in Okaloosa County, Fla.
- A fast-food employee saved the day this week during a terrifying alleged carjacking attempt in Florida. Per a release from the Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office, a woman was getting her baby out of her car Wednesday in the parking lot of a Chick-fil-A in Fort Walton Beach when she...
Celebs Set Its
Sights on Mariah
Aug 30, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Prosecutors: Gang Targeting Celebs Set Its Sights on Mariah
26 are now facing charges related to the 'Drug Rich' gang
- A violent street gang has been targeting the homes of the wealthy and famous in Atlanta, including pop star Mariah Carey, prosecutors said Monday. They announced a 220-count indictment alleging attempted murders, shootings, kidnappings, home invasions, armed robberies, and carjackings by 26 members of the "Drug Rich" gang, some...
Cops: Carjacker Dies After
Beating Up Senior
Apr 19, 2022 10:06 AM CDT
Cops: Carjacker Dies After Beating Up Senior
You might say it was karma; Shirlene Hernandez would not
- A Texas man beat up a 72-year-old great-grandmother so as to take her car, only to die later in a crash, according to San Antonio police. Shirlene Hernandez, who was left with a nasty black eye and bruising covering half of her face, was assaulted as she headed into a...
Doctor Is Killed Trying to
Stop Theft of His Mercedes
Mar 11, 2022 1:30 AM CST
Doctor Is Killed Trying to Stop Theft of His Mercedes
Rakesh Patel was run over by his own vehicle
- A carjacking took an extremely dark turn on Tuesday in Washington, DC, where a 33-year-old doctor was run over by his own Mercedes. The
reports Rakesh Patel left his car running in the Adams Morgan neighborhood around 8pm as he brought a package to his girlfriend. They embraced,...
'This 11-Year-Old Is a
Prolific Carjacker in Our City'
Mar 6, 2022 7:33 AM CST
'This 11-Year-Old Is a Prolific Carjacker in Our City'
A look at the carjacking surge and the tweens and teens behind many of them
- "Unfortunately, this 11-year-old has been arrested before, and he is considered a prolific carjacker in our city," said Chicago Police Superintendent David Brown in a press conference last November, per ABC Chicago . In Washington, DC, a pair of 14-year-old girls were c onvicted of murdering a 66-year-old UberEats...
5 Arrests Made
in Carjacking of
Dec 23, 2021 5:49 AM CST
5 Arrests Made in Carjacking of House Democrat
Police says suspects were found in Rep. Mary Gay Scanlon's stolen vehicle
: Police say five arrests have been made in connection with the carjacking of a House Democrat in Philadelphia Wednesday. Delaware State Police said in a statement that the suspects were taken into custody around 9pm after they were found in Rep. Mary Gay Scanlon's stolen 2017 Acura MDX...
Pleads Guilty in
Death of Uber
Jun 4, 2021 9:20 AM CDT
13-Year-Old Pleads Guilty in Death of Uber Eats Driver
Cops: DC carjacking by teen, 15-year-old accomplice led to crash that killed 66-year-old Mohammad Anwar
- A 13-year-old girl has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the DC death of an Uber Eats driver who was killed during a carjacking in the spring. NBC Washington reports that the teen's accomplice, a 15-year-old girl, pleaded guilty last month to felony murder after the March 23 incident...
Girls, 13 and 15, Charged in
Death of Uber Eats Driver
Mar 26, 2021 6:55 AM CDT
Girls, 13 and 15, Charged in Death of Uber Eats Driver
Police say 66-year-old man was killed in botched Washington, DC, carjacking
- Two young teenage girls are facing felony murder charges over what police in Washington, DC, say was a carjacking attempt that killed an Uber Eats driver. Police say the girls, 13 and 15, were armed with a stun gun when they entered 66-year-old Mohammed Anwar's vehicle in the Tuesday...
Feb 19, 2021 5:05 PM CST
City's Carjacking Crackdown Nets 210 Arrests
Chicago wrestles with possible solutions and the youth of most offenders
- Chicago's crackdown on carjacking and other vehicle crimes has resulted in 210 arrests so far this year, Police Superintendent David Brown announced. The number of carjackings reported in the first half of this month fell 35% from the number in the second half of January, Brown said—though he...
Out of Jail
Feb 15, 2021 8:28 AM CST
Out of Jail at 10:08pm. A Carjacking at 10:28pm
Police in Spokane says Marcus Goldman wasn't free long before returning to crime
- This is not going to help the recidivism stats in Spokane. Police in the Washington city say a man committed a felony 20 minutes after his release from jail, reports the
. At 10:08pm Saturday, 31-year-old Marcus Goodman was released from the Spokane County Jail after being arrested on...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.