Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Locals Say Everyone Knew
Amtrak Crash Site Was Unsafe
Jun 28, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Locals Say Everyone Knew Amtrak Crash Site Was Unsafe
Missouri farmer posted video saying that very thing on June 11
- A fourth person has died due to injuries suffered when an Amtrak train traveling from Los Angeles to Chicago struck a dump truck and derailed Monday afternoon in a remote area of Missouri, reports the AP . They are the third passenger to die; the driver of the dump truck was...
After Plane Crash, Cops Rescue
Pilot Seconds Before Train Hit
Jan 10, 2022 9:05 AM CST
After Plane Crash, Cops Rescue Pilot Seconds Before Train Hit
Watch as police pull pilot from small aircraft from tracks right before train smashes into it
- One very lucky pilot in California is alive after surviving not one, but two back-to-back crashes over the weekend. Per the LAPD's Valley Bureau , a small plane lost power and crashed onto the railroad tracks in the Pacoima neighborhood of Los Angeles on Sunday, with ABC7 noting the accident...
The Car Tried to Get Around
the Gate. Then: 'Boom! Boom!'
Dec 31, 2021 10:30 AM CST
The Car Tried to Get Around the Gate. Then: 'Boom! Boom!'
2 are dead in Aventura, Fla., after commuter train hits their car trying to cross tracks
- Two people in Aventura, Fla., died when a higher-speed commuter train hit their car as the driver tried to make it around the crossing gate, police said. The crossing gate's lights were flashing and bells were ringing to signal an approaching train on Thursday morning when the car tried...
At Least 35 Dead After
Pakistan Train Collision
Jun 7, 2021 12:08 AM CDT
At Least 35 Dead After Pakistan Train Collision
As many as 20 passengers are still trapped
- Two express trains collided in southern Pakistan early Monday, killing at least 35 passengers, authorities said, as rescuers and villagers worked to pull injured people and more bodies from the wreckage. Between 15 and 20 passengers are still trapped in the wreckage of the Millat Express train and authorities were...
Train Collision Injures
More Than 200
May 25, 2021 12:39 AM CDT
Train Collision Injures More Than 200
3 are in critical condition in Malaysia incident
- Two light rail trains collided in a tunnel in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, injuring more than 200 people, in the first major crash for the 23-year-old metro system, the AP reports. Pictures on social media after the Monday night collision showed bloodied passengers, some lying on the floor of the carriage...
Truck Operator in Devastating
Train Crash Speaks Out
Apr 5, 2021 12:48 AM CDT
Truck Operator in Devastating Train Crash Speaks Out
And more on the Taiwan tragedy
- As authorities investigate whether it was indeed a failure to set the parking brake that caused an unmanned crane truck to slide down a hill in Taiwan, where a train hit it , the operator of the truck is speaking out. "I am deeply remorseful and want to express my...
Nobody Set Truck's Parking
Brake, and Tragedy Ensues
Apr 2, 2021 4:04 PM CDT
Nobody Set Truck's Parking Brake, and Tragedy Ensues
Death toll in Taiwan train crash grows to 51
- The cause of the deadliest rail tragedy in decades in Taiwan appears to be distressingly simple. Somebody parked a construction vehicle but neglected to engage the parking brake, say government officials, per the AP . The truck rolled downhill and came to rest at the mouth of a railroad tunnel, where...
Truck Rolled Down Hill, Landed
on Train Tracks. 48 Are Dead
Apr 2, 2021 6:41 AM CDT
Truck Rolled Down Hill, Landed on Train Tracks. 48 Are Dead
At least 100 hurt in Taiwan's deadliest rail disaster
- A train partially derailed in eastern Taiwan on Friday after being hit by an unmanned vehicle that had rolled down a hill, killing 48 people. With the train still partly in a tunnel, survivors climbed out of windows and walked along the train's roof to reach safety after the...
Crash Kills 32 After Train's
Emergency Brake Triggered
Mar 26, 2021 9:26 AM CDT
Crash Kills 32 After Train's Emergency Brake Triggered
At least 66 were injured in Egypt crash
- Two trains collided on Friday in southern Egypt, apparently after someone activated the emergency brakes, killing at least 32 people and leaving at least 66 injured, Egyptian authorities said. Egypt’s Railway Authorities said the accident happened when someone activated the emergency brakes of a passenger train that was headed...
After a 22-Mile Walk, They
Sat Down, Were Killed by Train
May 8, 2020 4:52 AM CDT
After a 22-Mile Walk, They Sat Down, Were Killed by Train
Authorities in India say workers fell asleep on the tracks
- A train in India on Friday plowed through a group of migrant workers who fell asleep on the tracks after walking back home from a coronavirus lockdown, killing 15, the Railways Ministry said. The driver of the cargo train tried but failed to stop in time, the ministry tweeted. The...
Train Plunges Into the Potomac
Dec 21, 2019 2:10 PM CST
Train Plunges Into the Potomac
Luckily its 7 grain cars were all empty
- A freight train went off the rails near Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, on Saturday and sent two cars plunging into the Potomac, CNN reports. Luckily the CSX locomotive was just pulling empty grain cars over the Winchester and Potomac Railroad Bridge when the 2:30am EST derailment occurred. But the...
They Were Driving
to a Camping Trip.
Then the Train Came
Nov 25, 2019 9:25 AM CST
They Were Driving to a Camping Trip. Then the Train Came
Florida woman, 2 young grandsons killed on tracks that had no gates or signals
- A Florida woman and her two grandsons were killed by a passing Amtrak train on Saturday afternoon as she drove the Cub Scouts to an overnight camping trip near West Palm Beach, per the AP . The train carrying some 200 passengers collided with the family’s Subaru Outback at the...
Dozens Injured in
Aug 23, 2019 12:10 AM CDT
Dozens Injured in Sacramento Derailment
2 trains collided, authorities say
- Authorities say more than two dozen people were injured in a light rail train derailment in northern California Thursday night. Sacramento Fire Capt. Keith Wade tells the
that 27 people were injured, including 13 people who were transported to trauma hospitals. He said the remaining "walking wounded"...
2 Hong Kong
Subway Trains Collide
Mar 18, 2019 12:11 AM CDT
2 Hong Kong Subway Trains Collide
Drivers were testing new signaling system
- Hong Kong tested a new subway signal system before commuter trains began early Monday. It did not go well. Two subway trains collided between the city's Central and Admiralty stations and both drivers were hospitalized, the BBC reports. There were no passengers on either train. The Mass Transit Railway...
After Train Crashes
Into Bus: 'My
Heart Is Broken'
Jan 26, 2019 5:30 AM CST
Schools Chief After Train Crashes Into Bus: 'My Heart Is Broken'
One student dead, 2 injured
- One student was killed and two other individuals were injured after an East Texas school bus was hit by a train on Friday, authorities say. The
Tyler Morning Telegraph
reported the collision took place around 4pm, when the bus was at a train crossing in Athens, located about 70 miles...
We're Not Pulling It
Jan 18, 2019 9:21 AM CST
Footage: We're Not Pulling It
Company used clip from real train disaster in Quebec that killed 47
- Netflix says it will review its practices on stock footage after a controversy involving its newest horror film, but it's not planning to completely bend on what caused the original controversy. The company recently came under fire for using clips from a 2013 rail disaster in Lac-Megantic, Quebec—an...
Video Shows Terrifying
Taiwan Train Crash
Oct 22, 2018 10:10 AM CDT
Video Shows Terrifying Taiwan Train Crash
At least 18 were killed, nearly 200 injured
- Investigators are still trying to piece together what caused a high-speed passenger train to crash in Taiwan over the weekend, killing at least 18 and injuring nearly 200 others. Now, via Taiwan News , surveillance footage has emerged showing the horrifying moment when the Puyuma Express cars derailed Sunday around a...
The Kids Went
a Train Horn
Aug 8, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
The Kids Went Missing. Then Neighbors Heard a Train Horn
3-year-old boy killed in Indiana by freight train, 2-year-old sister critically injured
- The blaring horn and screeching brakes of the passing freight train first tipped off locals that something terrible was happening Tuesday morning, they tell CBS Chicago . Police in Portage., Ind., soon after were called to the CSX railroad tracks just south of a mobile-home park, where they made an awful...
In Train Crash, Safety Upgrade
May Have Played a Role
Feb 5, 2018 6:18 PM CST
In Train Crash, Safety Upgrade May Have Played a Role
Signal system was down as crews installed 'Positive Train Control' system
- Transportation officials have said that a safety system known as Positive Train Control could have prevented the deadly Amtrak train crash in South Carolina over the weekend. Now the AP reports that crews were actually installing it when the accident occurred. In fact, the very installation process may have played...
Freight Firm for
Feb 5, 2018 6:41 AM CST
Amtrak Blames Freight Firm for Deadly Crash
NTSB says safety system would have stopped SC crash
- The crash that killed two Amtrak crew members and injured more than 100 other people wouldn't have happened under a safety system the National Transportation Safety Board has been seeking for decades, says NTSB chairman Robert Sumwalt. He said Sunday that "Positive Train Control," which slows trains...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Ukrainian Diplomat Has 2-Word Response to Elon Musk Proposal
Trump Sues CNN for $475M
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
It's Been a Wild 24 Hours for Herschel Walker
Arizona Clinic Comes Up With Abortion Pill Workaround
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.