Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
A Brutal Month Finally
Ends on Wall Street
Sep 30, 2022 3:20 PM CDT
A Brutal Month Finally Ends on Wall Street
Markets dropped again
- The only good thing that can said of this month and even this quarter on Wall Street is that it's over. Markets dropped yet again on Friday. The Dow fell 500 points, or 1.7%, to 28,725; the S&P 500 fell 54 points, or 1.5%, to...
Resumes Its Plunge
Sep 29, 2022 3:11 PM CDT
Wall Street Resumes Its Plunge
Dow falls more than 400 points
- After Wednesday's strong performance , stocks fell hard again on Thursday as worries about a possible recession and rising bond yields put the squeeze back on markets. The Dow sank 458 points, or 1.5%, to 29,225; the S&P 500 fell 78 points, or 2.1%, to 3,...
Dow Jumps 549 Points as
UK Calms World Markets
Sep 28, 2022 3:45 PM CDT
Dow Jumps 549 Points as UK Calms World Markets
Wall St. breaks longest losing streak since COVID crash
- Stocks on Wall Street soared to their first gain in more than a week as some calm returned to financial markets around the world. The S&P 500 jumped 2% Wednesday for its best day in seven weeks. That snapped Wall Street’s longest losing streak since the coronavirus crash...
Dow Keeps Sliding After
Entering Bear Market
Sep 27, 2022 3:31 PM CDT
Dow Keeps Sliding After Entering Bear Market
S&P 500 also dropped Tuesday
- Stocks ended a wobbly day with mixed results on Wall Street as markets continue to be unstable amid worries about a possible recession. The volatile trading came a day after the Dow Jones Industrial Average followed other major US indexes into a bear market. The S&P 500 fell 7....
Stocks Drop Again as
Pessimism Grips Markets
Sep 26, 2022 3:42 PM CDT
Stocks Drop Again as Pessimism Grips Markets
'We're starting to have a handoff from fears about inflation and the Fed to global economic worries'
- Stocks fell on Wall Street Monday and put major indexes deeper into a slump as recession fears grow. The S&P 500 fell 38.19 points, or 1%, to 3,655.04. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 329.60 points, or 1.1%, to 29,260.81. The Nasdaq...
This Year, a Tried-and True
Investment Strategy Backfires
Sep 26, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
This Year, a Tried-and True Investment Strategy Backfires
'Buy the dip' doesn't work if the market keeps dipping
- The stock market had another brutal week last week, and investors who decided to "buy the dip" in anticipation of a rebound might have been regretting it early Monday. The market began the new week in the red once again, reports CNBC . Such regret has been common in 2022,...
Dow Closes at New
Low for 2022
Sep 23, 2022 3:12 PM CDT
Dow Closes at New Low for 2022
Index falls nearly 500 points in another brutal day on Wall Street
- Stocks plunged again on Wall Street and worldwide Friday on more signs the global economy is weakening. The bleak numbers:
The S&P 500 fell 64 points, or 1.7%, to 3,693.
The Dow fell 486 points, or 1.6%, to 29,590.
The Nasdaq fell 198 points, or
Wall Street Ticks
Sep 22, 2022 3:40 PM CDT
Wall Street Ticks Lower Again
World banks raise rates after the Federal Reserve's move
- Stocks closed lower Thursday on Wall Street, deepening their losses for the week, as central banks around the world raised interest rates to fight inflation, per the AP .
The S&P 500 fell 31 points to 3,757, a loss of 0.3%.
The Dow fell 107 points to 30,
Dow Drops 522 Points
After Fed Raises Rates
Sep 21, 2022 3:57 PM CDT
Dow Drops 522 Points After Fed Raises Rates
Central bank also raised forecast on how high rates might have to go
- Wall Street closed sharply lower Wednesday after the Federal Reserve stepped up its fight against inflation by raising interest rates . The S&P 500 fell 66 points, or 1.7%, to 3,789.93. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 522.45 points, or 1.7%, to 30,183.78....
Stocks Drop on Eve
of Big Fed Decision
Sep 20, 2022 4:12 PM CDT
Stocks Drop on Eve of Big Fed Decision
Ford plunges 12.4% after slashing earnings forecast
- Stocks closed lower on Wall Street Tuesday ahead of a key decision on interest rates by the Federal Reserve. The S&P 500 fell 43.96 points, or 1.1%, to 3,855.93. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 313.45 points, or 1%, to 30,706.23. The...
Tech Stocks Help Lift Markets
Ahead of Expected Fed Move
Sep 19, 2022 3:41 PM CDT
Tech Stocks Help Lift Markets Ahead of Expected Fed Move
Wall Street started the week with gains
- Stocks closed higher on Wall Street on Monday after swaying between small gains and losses much of the day as investors brace for another big interest rate increase this week from the Federal Reserve. The S&P 500 rose 26.56 points, or 0.7%, to 3,899.89. The...
Stocks Fall Again,
Led Down by FedEx
Sep 16, 2022 3:15 PM CDT
Stocks Fall Again, Led Down by FedEx
Delivery service falls more than 20%
- The stock market finished in the red again on Friday to cap another week of sizable losses. The latest discouraging news for traders came from corporate giants FedEx and General Electric, which warned about worsening trends in the economy, per the AP . The Dow fell 140 points to 30,821,...
Stocks Resume Slump,
Slide Deeper Into the Red
Sep 15, 2022 3:20 PM CDT
Stocks Resume Slump, Slide Deeper Into the Red
Dow falls 173 points
- Stocks fell again on Thursday, putting major indexes deeper in the red for the week. The Dow slid 173 points to 30,961, the S&P 500 fell 44 points to 3,901, and the Nasdaq fell 167 points to 11,552. Technology stocks were among the biggest weights on...
Rail Stocks Drop
Ahead of Possible Strike
Sep 14, 2022 3:53 PM CDT
Rail Stocks Drop Ahead of Possible Strike
Indexes inched upward the day after Tuesday's plunge
- Stocks closed modestly higher on Wall Street after a day of veering between gains and losses. The tentative trading came a day after the market’s worst drop in two years , which was set off by fears that higher interest rates could cause a recession. The S&P 500 rose...
Wall Street Just Had Its
Worst Day Since 2020
Sep 13, 2022 3:44 PM CDT
Wall Street Just Had Its Worst Day Since 2020
Stocks nosedive after disappointing report on inflation
- The stock market fell the most since June 2020 following Wall Street’s humbling realization Tuesday that inflation is not slowing as much as hoped. The S&P 500 fell 177.72 points, or 4.3%, to 3,932.69. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 1,276.37 points,...
Wall Street Rallies
Ahead of Inflation Report
Sep 12, 2022 3:57 PM CDT
Wall Street Rallies Ahead of Inflation Report
S&P 500 is on its longest winning streak since July
- Stocks climbed again Monday as Wall Street made its final moves ahead of a high-stakes report that will hopefully show inflation hammered the economy less hard last month. The S&P 500 rose 43.05 points, or 1.1%, to 4,110.41 for its fourth straight gain. That's...
Market Snaps 3-Week Skid
Sep 9, 2022 3:18 PM CDT
Market Snaps 3-Week Skid
Major indexes have a strong day
- Stocks had a strong day on Friday as the market broke a three-week losing streak. The Dow rose 377 points, or 1.1%, to 32,151; the S&P 500 rose 61 points, or 1.5%, to 4,067; and the Nasdaq rose 250 points, or 2.1%, to 12,...
Stocks Rise After
Fed Chief Speaks
Sep 8, 2022 3:02 PM CDT
Stocks Rise After Fed Chief Speaks
Investors appear little fazed as Powell reaffirms commitment to keep rates high
- Stocks ended higher on Wall Street after seesaw trading Thursday and are now on pace for a weekly gain. The Dow rose 193 points to 31,774, the S&P 500 rose 26 points to 4,006, and the Nasdaq rose 70 points to 11,862. All three gains were...
Airline Stocks Take Off
After Strong United Forecast
Sep 7, 2022 3:39 PM CDT
Airline Stocks Take Off After Strong United Forecast
Dow jumps 436 points
- Stocks ended broadly higher on Wall Street, Wednesday, placing the market on pace to break a 3-week losing streak. The S&P 500 rose 71.68 points, or 1.8%, to 3,979.87. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 435.98 points, or 1.4%, to 31,581.28....
Bed Bath & Beyond Down
18.4% After CFO's Death
Sep 6, 2022 4:03 PM CDT
Bed Bath & Beyond Down 18.4% After CFO's Death
Dow falls 173 points as Wall St.'s losing streak stretches into 4th week
- Stocks drifted lower on Wall Street Tuesday, extending the market’s losses into a fourth straight week. The S&P 500 fell 16.07 points, or 0.4%, to 3,908.19. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 173.14 points, or 0.6%, to 31,145.30. The Nasdaq...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
5 Murders Since July May Be Work of Serial Killer
Pro-Russia Parties Trounced
It Was Worse Than the Titanic. You Likely Haven't Heard of It
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.