Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
World War I
Stories 1 - 20 |
Texas Drought Yields
Dino Tracks, WWI Shipwrecks
Aug 31, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
Texas Drought Yields Dino Tracks, WWI Shipwrecks
'If I was ever going to find anything, this would be the best time to do it'
- As of Monday, 79% of the state of Texas was in drought , with 12% in "exceptional drought." Those conditions, though challenging for residents, have the upside of revealing some remarkable finds. At Dinosaur Valley State Park in Glen Rose, officials have uncovered at least 70 new dinosaur tracks...
Amputations in Ukraine
as Bad as in World War I
Aug 12, 2023 3:55 PM CDT
Amputations in Ukraine as Bad as in World War I
Veterans also face problems finding affordable treatment
- Since Russia invaded Ukraine in early 2022, both soldiers and civilians have faced devastating physical injuries reminiscent of World War I, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. While data on injuries isn't precise, the
indicates "between 20,000 and 50,000 Ukrainians who have lost one or more...
Unknown Soldier Is
Unknown No More
Jun 22, 2022 1:01 PM CDT
Unknown Soldier Is Unknown No More
British soldier who died in WWI is identified via DNA as 2nd Lt. Osmund Bartle Wordsworth
- For more than a century, the British soldier lay in an anonymous grave, one of so many unidentified victims buried beneath the killing fields of World War I. But now, his headstone finally bears a name: 2nd Lt. Osmund Bartle Wordsworth—a great-great-nephew of English poet William Wordsworth—who was...
Kid Finds Live
WWI Grenade on Beach
May 30, 2022 10:24 AM CDT
Kid Finds Live WWI Grenade on Beach
It was destroyed in controlled explosion in Northern Ireland
- A grenade believed to be more than a century old—but still deadly—was found by a young boy on a beach in Northern Ireland, police say. In a Facebook post , police thanked the "young lad" who spotted the grenade and contacted officers, remaining at the scene to tell...
Attorneys, NAACP Seek
Clemency for WWI Soldiers
Dec 19, 2021 6:30 PM CST
Attorneys, NAACP Seek Clemency for WWI Soldiers
Advocates want Biden to pardon Black soldiers convicted without due process in 1917
- A group of attorneys and advocates have pledged to seek clemency for 110 Black soldiers who were convicted in a mutiny and riots at a military camp in Houston in 1917. The South Texas College of Law Houston and the NAACP’s local branch have signed an agreement to continue...
Long-Sought WWI Wreck
Is Found, Guns at the Ready
Dec 6, 2019 12:20 PM CST
Long-Sought WWI Wreck Is Found, Guns at the Ready
German ship SMS Scharnhorst was sunk off Falkland Islands in 1914
- It was an "extraordinary" moment as the long-sought shipwreck appeared a mile beneath the waves, says the search team's leader. "Suddenly she just came out of the gloom with great guns poking in every direction," Mensun Bound says of the discovery of SMS Scharnhorst, a German...
Wartime Grenade Turns Up
in an Unexpected Place
Feb 2, 2019 1:00 PM CST
Wartime Grenade Turns Up in an Unexpected Place
The device was found among potatoes in Hong Kong
- A WWI grenade ended up Saturday in about the last place you'd expect: a potato-chip factory in Hong Kong. Police say the unexploded German device was discovered in a pile of potatoes from France and was promptly defused, the
South China Morning Post
reports. Seems the grenade had been...
'You Won't Believe Your Eyes'
They Shall Not Grow Old
Feb 1, 2019 12:18 PM CST
'You Won't Believe Your Eyes' in
They Shall Not Grow Old
Peter Jackson's documentary offers 'haunting' look at WWI
- "Haunting," "heartbreaking," and "honest," are just a few words being used to describe
They Shall Not Grow Old
, Peter Jackson's documentary compiled from century-old World War I footage. For 21st-century audiences, Jackson adds 3D technology, color, and soldiers' voices to give the scenes...
He Saved Hemingway's Life
at 18. Now He Has a Name
Jan 22, 2019 4:32 PM CST
He Saved Hemingway's Life at 18. Now He Has a Name
Author, historian identify Fedele Temperini as wartime savior
- Ernest Hemingway made it out of World War I only because a soldier was "blown to bits," as the
puts it. Now you have Fedele Temperini to thank in part for classics like
For Whom the Bell Tolls
The Old Man and the Sea
. Researchers have...
How Peter Jackson
Brought WWI to Life
Dec 26, 2018 7:15 AM CST
How Peter Jackson Brought WWI to Life
'They Shall Not Grow Old' shows the war in full color
- The director of the
Lord of the Rings
trilogies has brought another world to life—and this one is real. Peter Jackson's latest film,
They Shall Not Grow Old
, uses colorized World War I footage and old veterans' interviews to tell the story of British soldiers on...
Century Later, Mystery of
Lost US Warship Is Solved
Dec 12, 2018 8:38 AM CST
Century Later, Mystery of Lost US Warship Is Solved
Mine from a German U-boat sunk USS San Diego, say researchers
- A century later, we can now blame a mine from a German U-boat for the lone major US warship sent to the ocean's depths during World War I. The USS San Diego got there fast: The armored cruiser listed and sank within 30 minutes of an explosion off the...
Nov 12, 2018 12:20 AM CST
White House: Cemetery Motorcade Would Have Disrupted Roads
President skipped event honoring Marines
- Stung by criticism for not attending an event honoring US military dead , the White House says President Trump didn't want to disrupt Paris roadways for a last-minute motorcade to a cemetery in northern France. Trump had been scheduled to lay a wreath and observe a moment of silence Saturday...
In World War I's
Final Hours, a Terrible Toll
Nov 11, 2018 1:15 PM CST
In World War I's Final Hours, a Terrible Toll
The last American was killed at 10:59am
- Augustin Trebuchon is buried beneath a white lie. His tiny plot in Vrigne-Meuse, France is almost on the front line where the guns finally fell silent at 11am on the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918, after a four-year war that had already killed millions. A simple white...
Topless Trump Protester Steals
Headlines at WWI Event
Nov 11, 2018 7:19 AM CST
Topless Trump Protester Steals Headlines at WWI Event
She rushed president motorcade in France
- President Trump joined other world leaders Sunday in Paris at a ceremony honoring the millions of soldiers who died in World War I, but he may not have liked French President Emmanuel Macron's speech. "Patriotism is the exact opposite of nationalism: Nationalism is a betrayal of patriotism,"...
'Low Energy' Trump Skips
WWI Cemetery Ceremony
Nov 10, 2018 3:40 PM CST
'Low Energy' Trump Skips WWI Cemetery Ceremony
The president blamed bad weather
- President and Melania Trump are skipping a World War I ceremony in France Saturday, and critics pounced. "It's incredible that a president would travel to France for this significant anniversary—and then remain in his hotel room watching TV rather than pay in person his respects to the...
It's Been 100 Years Since
Germans Shelled a US Town
Jul 17, 2018 4:25 AM CDT
It's Been 100 Years Since Germans Shelled a US Town
German U-156 submarine broke the surface off Orleans, Mass.
- Over 3,000 miles from the trenches and battlefields of the Western Front, where many hundreds of thousands had already died, residents of Orleans, Mass., were enjoying a typical summer morning on July 21, 1918, waiting for the fog to lift off the shore. Then suddenly, a German U-156 submarine...
Young Swimmers Find Small
Piece of History in Lake
May 31, 2018 12:53 PM CDT
Young Swimmers Find Small Piece of History in Lake
Girls in Michigan discover a World War I-era practice bomb
- Two girls have found what authorities say is a World War I-era practice bomb while swimming in a lake in Michigan, reports the AP . The
reports that 10-year-old Paige Burnett and 9-year-old Sage Menzies were searching for items below the surface of Lobdell Lake Tuesday when Paige felt...
Macron's Gift to Trump
Holds Powerful Meaning
Apr 22, 2018 2:00 PM CDT
Macron's Gift to Trump Holds Powerful Meaning
The French president will give Trump a seedling that grew on a famous WWI battlefield
- French President Emmanuel Macron is bringing an environmentally friendly gift to the White House when he visits President Donald Trump this week: a tree sapling. The young oak also has historical significance — it sprouted at a World War I battle site that became part of US Marine Corps legend....
Australian Sub 'on Eternal
Patrol Since 1914' Is Found
Dec 21, 2017 7:09 AM CST
Australian Sub 'on Eternal Patrol Since 1914' Is Found
HMAS AE-1 found off Papua New Guinea's Duke of York Islands
- Thirteenth time's the charm. The first Allied submarine lost in World War I, and Australia's first sub lost ever, has finally been found on the 13th search mission for a vessel that vanished more than a century ago. The HMAS AE-1 was spotted by an underwater drone in...
For 23, WWI
U-Boat May Have
Become a Coffin
in case you missed it
Sep 23, 2017 9:39 AM CDT
For 23, WWI U-Boat May Have Become a Coffin
Sunken sub found off the coast of Belgium
- Eleven German submarines from World War I have been found sunk in Belgian waters. The latest to be discovered, however, is the "best preserved" of all, officials say. The U-boat, 88 feet long by 20 feet wide, has been found in an undisclosed location off the Belgian coast near...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
$100M Botticelli Found in Home
Prosecutors: Inmate Stabbed Chauvin 22 Times
Her Body Was Found by Rock Climbers 26 Years Ago
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.